Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Off-Topic > Main Off-Topic Board
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 10th, 2010, 02:43 PM

CelticMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
A chance for any interested Yanks to "poke their nose in"

During the 2008 presidential election, Jonathan Freedland posted on Buzzle.com some comments he had recieved from US voters when he observed that the world was paying a lot of attention to the election. One of these from a Republican voter in Nevada read:

""I love it! A pansy-ass limey Brit begs the US to do his bidding while his own country slips further towards total Islamic rule. We're electing McCain, and the rest of the world can piss up a rope if they don't like it. 1776, BITCH!"

Well, in order to slightly redress the balance (and I will be phoning Washington Journal on Sunday to confirm this) I would like all American members to "poke their nose" into our election which thanks to the power of math WILL be held on May 6th (despite the formal announcement not being for another three weeks or so). In order to "poke their nose", could I ask our American friends to:
  1. Choose a number between 1 and 650. This will refer to your "virtual district"
  2. Then chose which candidate you would like to support. Brown for Labour, Cameron for Conservative and Clegg for Liberal Democrat
  3. Then post your e-mail address (in standard unspammable format) with ats and dots and I will e-mail you a summary of your chosen district and a list of candidates when nominations close

Just so that you know what the current tally is. Gordon Brown commands 349 MP's, Cameron 210 MP's, Clegg 62 MP's and there are 29 Others (nationalist, independent, Northern Ireland parties) giving Gordon a majority of 48 in the House
  #2   Add to Yachirobi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 11th, 2010, 05:18 AM
R O C K S T A R

Yachirobi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Yachirobi
Being a typical American, I still have no idea how the UK works as far as electing it's leaders. However, I know that Gordon Brown got a lot of flack for that "bigot" comment he made. Personally, after hearing what that lady said to him, I would have been more likely to vote for his party. Mr. Brown was right!
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #3   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 11th, 2010, 06:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachirobi View Post
Being a typical American, I still have no idea how the UK works as far as electing it's leaders. However, I know that Gordon Brown got a lot of flack for that "bigot" comment he made. Personally, after hearing what that lady said to him, I would have been more likely to vote for his party. Mr. Brown was right!
The election was held on Thursday and the final results are:

[COLOR="Blue"]Conservatives 306 (+96)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Labour 258 (-91)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Orange"]Liberal Democrats 57 (-5)[/COLOR]
Others 28 (-1)
[COLOR="DimGray"]Hung Parliament (Conservatives short by 20)[/COLOR]
  #4   Add to wolfotehmoon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 11th, 2010, 10:22 AM

wolfotehmoon is on a distinguished road
It's such bullshit. I read that if district representatives were assigned according to population, LD would have more seats than Labour. I feel so bad for you guys.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #5   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 11th, 2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfotehmoon View Post
It's such bullshit. I read that if district representatives were assigned according to population, LD would have more seats than Labour. I feel so bad for you guys.
If that was the case, the number of seats would reduce (the average at the moment is 69,231 electors per seat and the Conservatives have said they want to see the average rise to 77,500 with each seat exactly the same size and electorate).

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options