Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 26th, 2005, 04:19 PM

optimusx is on a distinguished road
Getting too wide for things...

Hey guys,

I've noticed that things have started to quiet down a bit so I thought about topics people could relate to...

The question: As you've grown, have you noticed things are not as wide as they use to be? For example, doorways/hallways/airline seats? Example: Normally when I exit my room I'm already sideways entering the hallway bathroom, but one day I came at it head on from the other end of the hallway. Sure enough I had to turn to my side to get in (unless I have a strong desire to beat my arms into the frame). I decided to take a pic of me in the door jam (somewhat of a tight squeeze). Granted it's not a normal sized door... it's opening is only 24" ( I think normal doors have a 28" opening) but it was a nice distraction...

So what are you're happy incidents of growth?

Scott

Last edited by optimusx; August 14th, 2005 at 09:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 26th, 2005, 06:49 PM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
Scott:

There's only one possible comment regarding that pic, i.e.:

SPLURT!!

xoxo

richard
  #3   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 27th, 2005, 06:39 AM

ethernet_jock
Send a message via Yahoo to ethernet_jock
haha.... dude, that's an AWESOME picture!! Actually I think ADA requires that door openings in public buildings - as they are being built newly (obviously grandfathered old buildings don't apply) - should be 36".

ANYway - yes, I have actually noticed that I squeeze more tightly into places that I didn't realize I had truly gotten wider and thicker for.

- Back seat of a car when crammed in with 2 other adults. I used to be able to manage to some degree - now I really can't.... and neither can the people forced to sit next to me.

- Airline seats, absolutely.

- Car seats, I now understand "lumbar support" much better.

etc.... :P I can't wait until I'm as wide and thick as you!!! hehehe.
  #4   Add to Steen's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 27th, 2005, 07:22 AM

Steen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Back seat of a car when crammed in with 2 other adults. I used to be able to manage to some degree - now I really can't.... and neither can the people forced to sit next to me.
I get this as well, but at least it means I get the front seat more often, since the other passengers don't really want to sit next to me. However, working in London, like many I use the Tube (subway, metro etc.) and trying to sit between two other passengers is sometimes a challenge, especially if they're big as well.
  #5   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 27th, 2005, 07:58 PM

Notbigenuff
Send a message via AIM to Notbigenuff Send a message via Yahoo to Notbigenuff
Ditto on the back seats of cars -- it's amazing that car makers think that three adults can sit in the backseat of so many cars. Two is the limit for 'average' sized people but get a couple of broad shoulders in the same car...

I find that theatre seats (not modern movie theaters, but older 'playhouses'). I've lost track of how many plays I've had to sit nearly sideways through .
  #6   Add to JMH02003's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 27th, 2005, 08:06 PM

JMH02003
Being to wide for stuff seems like the happiest problem a guy could have.

Do you guys think it's too much of an inconvenience?
  #7   Add to pdxflex's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 27th, 2005, 08:31 PM

pdxflex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to pdxflex
I don't see this as too much of a inconvience. It's something I have worked very hard on, so I take it as part of the territory. The only exception might be those long-intercontinental flights. Ugh! I HATE feeling so jammed.

A good story, though, is I tried on suit jackets this week. Historically, I have been a 42R (the standard size for men). I thought I might be a 44, but I couldn't even get the jacket on. The sales clerk told me I would absolutely need to go up a size, and THEN have the jacket taken in 10 inches in the waist! That really surprised me. In fact, he said, jackets aren't made for men in good shape.

(Yes, guys, I'm lame. I don't have pix to share since I haven't yet purchased a webcam yet.)
  #8   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 28th, 2005, 06:32 AM

ethernet_jock
Send a message via Yahoo to ethernet_jock
Quote:
Being to wide for stuff seems like the happiest problem a guy could have.
You know.....

There are times when it makes me grin a little because I know I don't fit only for being a big guy.... and there are times where it's like.... really, they couldn't possibly think that even a "normal" person could fit in this seat.... like airline seats.

Being tall is about the same way. It's awesome until you hit your head on the header/support hanging over a low stairwell ceiling or until your legs are so crammed in a seat somewhere that you can't move them at all for 3 hours.

Quote:
A good story, though, is I tried on suit jackets this week. Historically, I have been a 42R (the standard size for men). I thought I might be a 44, but I couldn't even get the jacket on. The sales clerk told me I would absolutely need to go up a size, and THEN have the jacket taken in 10 inches in the waist! That really surprised me. In fact, he said, jackets aren't made for men in good shape.

Now THAT... is a hell of a compliment!!
  #9   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 28th, 2005, 06:48 AM

optimusx is on a distinguished road
I get to experience the joys of being cramped in an Airline seat in Feb for about 17 hours to and then 17 hours back (going to Taiwan for Chinese New Years). There is like, two (2) locations that you can sit moderately well. The first being the emergency exit room or one of the last rows next to a bathroom (747-400). But they only give more leg room. The only "real" solution to the width problem is to fly business/first class... unfortuetly I don't have an extra $1000 or so to bump up my seating arrangement. (I would if my laptop didn't just die last night - apparently some of the solder connection in my line of laptops goes bad about 1.5-2 yrs after purchase..grrr)

Though I will admit it is sorta nice realizing you can't fit into certain places as easily as before, but after the euphoria wears down you realize that sometimes it can be a pain

Scott
  #10   Report Post  
Old January 28th, 2005, 11:53 AM
LeatherGryphon

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusx
... unfortuetly I don't have an extra $1000 or so to bump up my seating arrangement. ...
When I was at my peak at about 230 lbs I was flying on business one time but I always traveled in full leather. While waiting in the terminal, I'd taken off my leather jacket and had on a leather short sleeve lace up shirt underneath and my arms were framed very nicely. The young male gate attendent at the gate desk kept glancing at me while I was waiting and gave me a big smile as I went into the plane. After sitting in my tourist seat for a few minutes before take-off the stewardess came back and said, "I'm sorry sir but your seating assignment has been changed, would you follow me please." She took me into first class which was nearly empty. I asked "why the change". Her reply was "I don't know sir, but the gate attendent authorized the move".

Not looking a gift horse in the mouth I thanked her. I took full advantage of the first-class perks, but I never did see that gate attendant again.

PS: I liked to say that I travel in full leather because when you're 230 pound of muscle resolutely walking those long crowded airport terminals in leather, the average people scurry to get out of your way. Likewise, it seems that you are approached by and meet the more interesting people. It made airports tolerable.

Last edited by LeatherGryphon; January 28th, 2005 at 11:56 AM.
  #11   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 28th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Muscle Czar

Corwin has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to Corwin Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherGryphon
PS: I liked to say that I travel in full leather because when you're 230 pound of muscle resolutely walking those long crowded airport terminals in leather, the average people scurry to get out of your way. Likewise, it seems that you are approached by and meet the more interesting people. It made airports tolerable.
Not something I expect you would do today, given TSA and the current political climate. Or am I wrong?

"Stand firm for what you believe in until or unless logic or experience prove you wrong. Remember, when the emperor looks naked the emperor is naked. The truth and a lie are not sort of the same thing. And there's no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza." Daria
  #12   Report Post  
Old January 28th, 2005, 02:16 PM
LeatherGryphon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin
Not something I expect you would do today, given TSA and the current political climate. Or am I wrong?
You are wrong!

I would probably limit the decorative chains and metal belt that might be considered weapons but the leather and my imbedded body jewelry would stay. I refuse to let Bush's thought police control what I wear. It may look imposing but no more scary than a turban or an old ladies shoe. I'm willing to get naked for them in the terminal if I had to. I'm curious to see how they think I could bring down a plane with a genital piercing.

However, the point is moot because I've been unemployed and broke since 9/11 so riding airplanes has been off my budget.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

"When the christian zealots come breaking down your door, who you gonna blame?"

Last edited by LeatherGryphon; January 28th, 2005 at 02:25 PM.
  #13   Report Post  
Old January 28th, 2005, 02:21 PM
LeatherGryphon

And one more thing. If I was Groucho Marx, I'd have to add "and how that plane got a genital piercing, I'll never know!"

Last edited by LeatherGryphon; January 28th, 2005 at 02:29 PM.
  #14   Add to Ogrebear's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 4th, 2005, 11:25 AM

Ogrebear
Realism

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusx
Though I will admit it is sorta nice realizing you can't fit into certain places as easily as before, but after the euphoria wears down you realize that sometimes it can be a pain

Scott
I wish sometimes the authors of muscle fiction would take this into account and show us the 'what next' after the 'hero' has gained all that fantastic muscle, body hair, genitals, muscle, muscle and more muscle............

er....sorry....

Anyway, sometimes it would be nice to have a 'fallout' type story!
  #15   Add to muscleUP2me's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 5th, 2005, 01:22 AM

muscleUP2me has disabled reputation
Quote:
...when you're 230 pound of muscle resolutely walking ... in leather...
OK LG,

I'm sure I'm not alone in this... I want to see your pictures! My imagination is fired up, but--WOOF!--I'd love to see you in your leathers. Hmm...of course, even better would be to FEEL you in your leathers, but that would have to be arranged another time, eh?
  #16   Add to Bull's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 7th, 2005, 03:53 PM

Bull
Send a message via AIM to Bull Send a message via Yahoo to Bull
God yes, it's a pain in the ass. I'm always running into doorjams. The only home I ever had that I was comfortable in was an apartment that had been built to be handicapped accesible. The doors were extra wide; awesome! Don't get me started on airplane seats and theatre seats. It's to the point where I don't hink I will ever fly again, or see a Broadway show. Sad.
  #17   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 17th, 2005, 10:33 AM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull
Don't get me started on airplane seats and theatre seats. It's to the point where I don't hink I will ever fly again, or see a Broadway show. Sad.
Man, it's too bad I never got the chance to see you when I lived in OR. It sounds like you are getting HUGE. I drove past Longview many times as a part of my old courier job, but I was always in a hurry to get to Seattle, Castle Rock, or somewhere, and get back to PDX... You should post some pics!
  #18   Add to massingUP's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 24th, 2005, 03:35 PM

massingUP is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to massingUP
Apropos of Bull's comments about Broadway shows, I went to see a few while I was in NYC (one with Corwin!) and I had a particularly funny experience when I saw Hairspray.

As with most Broadway theatres, the building itself was quite old and built relatively small. The seats were tightly packed, but that wasn't the worst of it. When I went to use the bathroom, some contemporary tight-ass had decided that they needed to install those vertical metal "privacy" plates between the urinals -- to protect someone's decency, I suppose.

At any rate, the bathroom was fairly small and so the urinals were close together -- which meant that my shoulders wouldn't fit between the two privacy plates. I actually had to turn sideways to pee, and that was a bit of a production, let me tell you. *chuckle*

Best part was that when I finally finished, I turned around the guy standing behind me in line to use the urinal next was an even bigger musclehead -- I just looked at him and said "good luck!" He laughed and I went on my way...

-- James

http://www.bigmuscle.com/~massingUP
  #19   Add to Bull's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 24th, 2005, 03:48 PM

Bull
Send a message via AIM to Bull Send a message via Yahoo to Bull
That's hilarious!

Don't even get me started on theatre restrooms. How the designers of these places expect, say, 1500 people to relieve themselves in fifteen minutes with maybe two dozen toilets and urinals to use is beyond me. And the new theatres are just as bad as the old. Forget having a drink, unless you want to bring a clamp for your dick.
  #20   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 24th, 2005, 11:04 AM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
Quote:
I just widh we'd begged him for pics of this while he was still on the board...

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options