Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 23rd, 2005, 06:50 AM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
We're back!

It's good to see the forum back up & running. A lot of people appreciate it so much that I can't even think of it ever going away. Flex, if you ever need $$$ for the site, I'm sure we'd all love to chip in.

Thank you very much for this great place!
Brent.
  #2   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 23rd, 2005, 07:14 AM

ethernet_jock
Send a message via Yahoo to ethernet_jock
absolutely agreed!!
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #3   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 23rd, 2005, 08:56 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
WE're back!

WHEW!

Wipes brow, breathes evenly and deeply.....

"WAHOO!"
  #4   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 23rd, 2005, 09:16 AM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
What Brent said. I think it's perfectly appropriate to solicit contributions. I can't give much but I can give some!

rpj
  #5   Add to Muscleluvr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 23rd, 2005, 09:19 AM

Muscleluvr has disabled reputation
Having sent an email to [email protected] and posting a request for information regarding the outage to the MGS group - both of which were summarily ignored (the posting to the group was not approved for post - yet several subsequent "what's going on?" messages were approved - with no answers given), would it be too much to ask, here on this forum for an explanation as to what happened? Was it a domain-hijacking or was it a monetary issue? As has been stated above, if it's a monetary issue, many of us here would be more than willing to chip in. However, it's rude to have an entire day's outage without so much as an apology, let alone an explanation. I think we're all big boys here and can handle the truth. So, how about it? What happened?
  #6   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 23rd, 2005, 09:34 AM

Considering that the costs (in time, energy & money) associated with maintaining this site have never been passed along to the (quite large!) membership, the idea that anyone owes anyone else an apology is a bit out there. If there's an issue with which the moderator needs help, fine and dandy, I'm sure plenty of us will be happy to pitch in. Meantime, let's be thankful that we have such a rich resource to drawn upon!

xoxo

Richard

PS:

We should talk about P'cola sometime; it's my hometown! -- rpj
  #7   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 23rd, 2005, 09:52 AM
Muscle Czar

Corwin has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to Corwin Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscleluvr
would it be too much to ask, here on this forum for an explanation as to what happened? Was it a domain-hijacking or was it a monetary issue? As has been stated above, if it's a monetary issue, many of us here would be more than willing to chip in.
It is my understanding that it was an honest mistake.

Quote:
However, it's rude to have an entire day's outage without so much as an apology, let alone an explanation.
No it isn't.

Quote:
I think we're all big boys here and can handle the truth. So, how about it? What happened?
I think it is obvious that a lot of us love this site and enjoy reading/posting here. Flexodus did a good thing when he created it. There was a hickup. It was annoying but it was only one day. In the grand scheme of things, it really was no big deal.

(Yo: flex. paypal is your friend. no need to foot the bill yourself).

"Stand firm for what you believe in until or unless logic or experience prove you wrong. Remember, when the emperor looks naked the emperor is naked. The truth and a lie are not sort of the same thing. And there's no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza." Daria
  #8   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 23rd, 2005, 09:53 AM

CelticMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
Looking at the evidence

Quote:
Having sent an email to [email protected] and posting a request for information regarding the outage to the MGS group - both of which were summarily ignored (the posting to the group was not approved for post - yet several subsequent "what's going on?" messages were approved - with no answers given), would it be too much to ask, here on this forum for an explanation as to what happened? Was it a domain-hijacking or was it a monetary issue? As has been stated above, if it's a monetary issue, many of us here would be more than willing to chip in. However, it's rude to have an entire day's outage without so much as an apology, let alone an explanation. I think we're all big boys here and can handle the truth. So, how about it? What happened?
From what I can tell (looking at the website that appeared when this wasn't there), I get the impression that it might have been a hijacking (of which there's been a large number of high profile attacks recently), the most notable of which was Conservatives.com being hijacked and turned into ConservativeNudes.com.

I am not entirely sure how hijacking takes place online, but there have been reports (albeit from Fox News) that cyber hijacking might be used by gangs seeking an increase in funds
  #9   Report Post  
Old February 23rd, 2005, 09:54 AM
LeatherGryphon

Quote:
Like many here, I was like a fish without water, but I would have adapted.

I don't know exactly what happened but I did a little homework during the outage and after it came back and have an idea of the technical aspects of what might have been going on. It doesn't surprise me that e-mail was a problem as well as access to the web server. Nor does it surprise me that the outage wasn't totally instantaneous everywhere.

Nowhere though did I consider the actions of the site manage rude. Nor does my being a big boy require an apology. The world is not all about me.

I am very happy though that this site is back.
  #10   Add to Diablo11d's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 23rd, 2005, 10:28 AM
the midwest hurricane

Diablo11d is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Diablo11d
im so glad to see the site is back up and running. Me and some other members had discussions on the yahoo group Megapecs on what we thought was happening.
  #11   Add to Muscleluvr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 23rd, 2005, 10:30 AM

Muscleluvr has disabled reputation
So, am I to understand from you gentlemen that if say, your ISP goes out for a day, and you have no access, you don't care about an explanation or an apology?

It's only common courtesy when an outage such as the one that occured here yesterday is repaired, that an explanation, no matter how brief, be given. Failure to do this IS rude, as is ignoring email inquiries. Evidently I was reared a lot differently then you guys - I was taught that when I'm responsible for something that in someway inconviences others, that I should offer an explanation and an apology. Granted, this is just a website with a bunch of j/o stories, but many of it's visitors were mailing dozens of yahoogroups yesterday, asking about this sites status. I don't think it's out of line to ask for an explanation. You can see for yourselves, this thread is full of speculation: Hi-jacking? Financial Issue? Accident? Something else? Why is it such a big deal for the moderator to end the speculation and explain what happened?
  #12   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 23rd, 2005, 10:55 AM
Muscle Czar

Corwin has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to Corwin Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin
Quote:
So, am I to understand from you gentlemen that if say, your ISP goes out for a day, and you have no access, you don't care about an explanation or an apology?
It happens all the time. And, of course, I pay for the ISP. No one is paying to use this site.

"Stand firm for what you believe in until or unless logic or experience prove you wrong. Remember, when the emperor looks naked the emperor is naked. The truth and a lie are not sort of the same thing. And there's no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza." Daria
  #13   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 23rd, 2005, 10:56 AM

There's a really huge difference between a site that's maintained for free as a labor of love and an ISP for which I pay good money. Flexodus doesn't owe us the time of day; we owe him big time for hosting a site that provides so much entertainment, satisfaction, and camaraderie.

I'd like to know what happened, too, mostly because I'd like to be reassured that Flexodus wasn't run over by a bus, kidnapped, hospitalized, etc. I'm sure all of us would be delighted to hear from him -- when it's convenient for him to do so!

rpj
  #14   Add to fljoc20's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 23rd, 2005, 11:24 AM

fljoc20 has disabled reputation
Hosting

I'm not a huge poster, but I could easily host the site on one of my servers. I have a few TB (yes, TB) of unused bandwidth each month that I'd love to make use of. PayPal would be OK too.
  #15   Add to Marco_ukmus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 23rd, 2005, 02:46 PM
On route to freakdom

Marco_ukmus is on a distinguished road
[color=#c6cdf3]Hi guys, [/color]

[color=#c6cdf3]Like many here, as a very regular visitor and for that matter poster, I was kind of shocked to see the domain suddenly vanish. Of course the first thing i did was turn to the Yahoo group which supports this and tried to find out if there was any news on it. I kind of thought it might have been [color=#c6cdf3]down due to financial [/color]reasons but thought it best not to jump to conclusions and check back in a day or two... And here we are![/color]

[color=#c6cdf3]I agree with the comments of various posters above; considering all this, a forum and story achieve, and considering that he would have had to have spent a lot of time in setting it up, as well as its design and code (achieve), and this is done out of his own love and respect towards the subject, One cant demand an apology. Its us that owe him for providing such a fantastic cyber environment inwhich this communities foundation is based on. Of course this by no means lessens the degree of curiosity of wanting to know what happened.[/color]

[color=#c6cdf3]Marc[/color]

Last edited by Marco_ukmus; February 23rd, 2005 at 02:50 PM.
  #16   Report Post  
Old February 23rd, 2005, 04:11 PM
Mr.Lemur

Glad to have the sight back - no apologies required.

As I was once told; "Don't complain and don't explain - nobody wants to know what color underpants you're wearing."

Lemur
  #17   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 23rd, 2005, 05:21 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
that was SCARY!!!!

missed y'all!great to have you back!
  #18   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 23rd, 2005, 06:19 PM

optimusx is on a distinguished road
I was in an airplane flying for God knows how many hours back from Taiwan to good ole South Georgia... I didn't notice Ignorance is bliss!

Anyone who wants to compare this site to an ISP, please send your money to the owner and maintainer of this board, Flexodus. Otherwise, don't complain when a little downtime happens. Even Google, Yahoo and Microsoft go offline for a little while every now and then.

Scott
  #19   Add to CanadianGordon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 23rd, 2005, 08:05 PM

CanadianGordon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to CanadianGordon
My message inquiring what was going on was also ignored on the yahoo group.
I can understand a hiccup, but it is customary to at least be told. In my rearing as well. I'd certainly donate money if I can. Even a simple message saying, the site'll be back, we're working on it, would have been nice.
I thought it was gone for good..
That's all.
I like posting here.
You're all a weird extended family.
Who love freaky muscle guys.

I was afraid I'd have to start all over again trying to find people who liked what I liked.. That's all...
Anyways, off to post anew!
(And another site I post on, has had occasional crap come up at them.. They've got a backup site though that everyone knows to go to if the main one doesn't come up...)
So we gotta be prepared in the future...
Thanks for the site.
Gordon.
  #20   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 24th, 2005, 08:29 AM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpeejay
There's a really huge difference between a site that's maintained for free as a labor of love and an ISP for which I pay good money. Flexodus doesn't owe us the time of day; we owe him big time for hosting a site that provides so much entertainment, satisfaction, and camaraderie.
rpj
I couldn't agree more Richard. Flex has done a great job creating a fabulous sight that we all enjoy, and has asked for nothing in return. Nothing bad has happened to him, thank God, and site hiccups will happen.
  #21   Add to fleXodus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 24th, 2005, 09:27 AM
MuscleGrowth.org

fleXodus is on a distinguished road
A mistake on my part...

The site was down because the domain renewal had lapsed. The reminder to renew had been sent to an older email address that I didn't check as often (This has now been remedied and won't happen in the future). Luckily there is always a grace period before domains are released to the public so I was able to reactivate this domain once my account was paid.

My apologies to those who were freaked out by the sudden disappearance. I was freaked out when I saw the site gone too. Subsequently, a few of the emails sent to my [email protected] or [email protected] did not go through. Note to MuscleLuvr: I am not the only moderator of the MGS Yahoo Group.
  #22   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 24th, 2005, 04:34 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
dear flexodus,

if nothing else,the response showed how much this site means to people.thank you SOOO much!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options