Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to FuzzyKB's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 23rd, 2010, 04:01 AM

FuzzyKB is on a distinguished road
Severe Cancer Risk in some Mouthwashes

Fuzzy KB is Watching this one personally!

Most of us have been taught and in fact in some cases had it drummed into us that we should brush after every meal. Many of us were then instructed by our Dentists to use mouthwash after brushing.

In March of this year my then 22-year-old Nephew an aspiring bodybuilder working for his pro-card started to suffer pain in his mouth. He as for most of his teenaged years been prone to canker sores so we thought nothing of it. We made a trip to California on business and during that trip the pain level continued to increase for him. What appeared to be a canker sore was visible on the underside of the left side of his tongue.

Common anesthetics did little for this other than mask pain for short periods that grew ever shorter as this progressed. We cut the trip short and returned home to go to the family Dentist he had used for many years.

This family Dentist flat refused to refer this out prescribing a string of Rx products that were in essence nothing more than stronger versions of the OTC medications. We messed with this for three months before he would refer this. The oral surgeon messed with it for another month before taking and running a biopsy. On about the 20th of June of this year I learned that one of the joys of my life, a 22-year-old with a promising future was facing Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the tongue.

Under the high-speed of the Insurance Carrier we progressed through an Oncologist and a Surgeon. Squamous Cell internally is far more aggressive than it is when it is on the outside and can be just as fatal.

My kid has ZERO risk factors or at least we thought. The risk factor turned out to be the generic form of alcohol based mouthwash he had used for years at the instruction of "his dentist".

In the land down under right now most American Mouthwashes Tare in the process of being banned. One brand that is a major seller here has been rated as "extremely carcinogenic". In fact the American FDA knew this and sent a quiet memo to the manufacturer telling them to change the formula or it would go public.

The Surgeon that operated on my nephew stated that he is starting to see this form of cancer in increasing numbers in very young people.

The total of all of the medical bills for this so far is about $45,000 before the insurance. Other than being slow the insurance appears to be paying most of it, but we are still going to be stuck for some major bills.

The ONLY risk factor that my kid had was the use of this particular mouthwash as he is fanatic about his dental hygiene. There were ZERO other risk factors.

If you have ANY mouthwash containing alcohol get rid of it and do not buy it again. The brands that imitate Listerine are by far the most dangerous and have the highest alcohol content.

The instructions my Nephew was given by the Oncologist and by the Surgeon were to eliminate mouthwash completely unless it is absolutely necessary, if you have to use it never use one with alcohol. In place of this use warm salt-water for gargle and rinse and for your gums use a combination of hydrogen peroxide and water ONLY after deep dental cleanings and even then limit it greatly.

Right now I am considering legal action against the old family Dentist who is an idiot who refused to take strong action and refer this early. The kid suffered a great deal from this and our family finances will be suffering a great deal more as a result of him too.

Take that bottle of alcohol mouthwash and dump it quick!

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 23rd, 2010, 06:29 AM

CelticMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
Old News

(Source: Metro.co.uk first published January 2009)

There is now 'sufficient evidence' of a link between the ethanol in mouthwashes and the disease, researchers say. Prof Michael McCullough added: 'We see people with oral cancer who have no other risk factors than the use of alcohol-containing mouthwash.'

The warning follows a study of more than 3,200 people by a Melbourne University team, which found a nine-fold increase in risk of cancer among smokers and a five-fold rise among drinkers

The ethanol in mouthwash is thought to help cancer-causing substances ? such as nicotine ? permeate the mouth lining. It can also produce a substance called acetaldehyde, a 'known human carcinogen', Prof McCullough said. His findings were backed by Dr Philip Stemmer, from London's Fresh Breath Centre, who said: 'There's no need for mouthwash to contain alcohol ? I recommend patients use an alcohol-free mouthwash instead.'

Yinka Ebo, Cancer Research UK health information officer, said: 'Alcohol definitely causes mouth cancer.' Last night, the British Dental Health Foun*dation and mouthwash manufacturers were playing down the dangers. Listerine maker Johnson and Johnson said it was safe and the 'most extensively tested mouthwash in the world'.
  #3   Add to cutlerfan's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 23rd, 2010, 05:03 PM
Master of Muscle RP

cutlerfan has disabled reputation
Thanks for the information FuzzyKB! I already avoid a mouth irritant in toothpastes and some mouthwashes called Sodium Lauryl Sulfate or Sodium Laureth Sulfate. It has been linked to the development of canker sores in the mouth. I switched to a SLS free toothpaste and I have hardly any mouth sores anymore. Peace!
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options