The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > General
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Add to Yachirobi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 14th, 2010, 06:55 PM
R O C K S T A R

Yachirobi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Yachirobi
New Jersey Cops and Firefighters on Roids

Read the article and see pictures here.

I'm of two minds about this story.

On the one hand, hearing that a large number of New Jersey police officers and firefighters broke the law by getting prescriptions for steroids and HGH is not good news. They used taxpayer money to get these drugs and, especially with the cops, they violated the principals they're supposed to stand for.

I'm also saddened that the man who administered these drugs, Dr. Joseph Colao, died from a hardening of his arteries, a symptom of steroid abuse.

On the other hand, I can't help but get a thrill thinking about how there's a bunch of muscled up cops and firemen in N.J. It's wrong but I can't help it. It's hot. Too bad they didn't get their good looks the natural way.

You can really see it in Dr. Colao. They mention that his jaw became noticably harder before his death and the pics show a remarkable transformation without showing a single pec or bicep. Just based on his face alone you can see that the man got markedly hunkier after juicing up. But were the good looks and big muscles worth his life?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Stoneman's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 14th, 2010, 07:33 PM

Stoneman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Stoneman
Yes they were.
  #3   Add to musqlure's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 14th, 2010, 09:37 PM

musqlure is on a distinguished road
I just can't get that excited about illegal steroid use. But I sure as hell can get excited by the photos of that musclestud cop!
  #4   Add to xythan_shadow's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 15th, 2010, 02:55 AM
Writer and Lifter

xythan_shadow is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to xythan_shadow Send a message via Yahoo to xythan_shadow
One thing that article didn't mention is why said groups went to steroids. A lot of the time, it's not just for their egos, but in some cases, they take the steroids in order to do their job better.

I think it was Bigger, Faster, Stronger that had an interview with some cops who admitted taking steroids mainly because they thought they needed the extra strength to be able to handle people they engaged with on the streets. These beat cops cited the fact that they encounter several people who are drugged up, drunk, and resistant to the normal methods of subdual. Having that extra strength sometimes meant the difference between them holding someone down and that same person overpowering them.

Lets also not forget that being big adds that level of physical intimidation which, combined with a well fitting uniform, can go a long way to difuse a situation.

While I don't agree with the insurance fraud part, I personally believe that steroids should be studied, then made legal for us.

/end rant
  #5   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 15th, 2010, 06:19 AM

CelticMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by xythan_shadow View Post
One thing that article didn't mention is why said groups went to steroids. A lot of the time, it's not just for their egos, but in some cases, they take the steroids in order to do their job better.
As members know, I am a very strong support of natural bodybuilding, but Xythan has hit the nail on the head here. In the UK, several firemen have been told to either gain 30lbs of muscle or resign from the fire service because the average weight of people in their area has increased by 10% - 15%. So on one hand we are telling people to gain muscle or lose their jobs, and on the other hand we are telling them not to use artifical means. You can't have it both ways.
  #6   Add to mewletter's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 17th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Truth-seeking Skeptic

mewletter is on a distinguished road
That's both tragic and ridiculous. Getting fired for not gaining the required weight? In the Army here, your rank will be in jeopardy if you hit a certain over BMI index. I never knew the drug abuse is getting much worse in USA than I thought. I assume many US politicans are mostly on drugs too, whether it's prescribed or illegal.
  #7   Add to wolfotehmoon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 17th, 2010, 11:39 AM

wolfotehmoon is on a distinguished road
"Face hardening" is more likely attributable to HGH use than to straight steroid use. That said, while I sympathize with the firefighters, whose jobs are all about saving people and have little potential for abuse [and therefore anything (healthy) that they do to add strength I would support wholeheartedly], I'm finding it hard to feel for the cops. The latter's job is to defuse situations; they should be focusing on learning methods to bring an end to conflict with as little conflict as possible (learning how to talk people down, learning martial arts that will allow them to incapacitate a criminal with as little injury to either party as possible, etc), not necessarily bolstering the tools with which abuse could occur. They're only humans, and with human beings, sans proper training, have weapon = use weapon.

And I don't think anyone's mentioned the irony of people who are supposed to uphold the law breaking it...
  #8   Add to Minotaur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 31st, 2010, 04:03 AM
Muscled Chub Club

Minotaur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xythan_shadow View Post
While I don't agree with the insurance fraud part, I personally believe that steroids should be studied, then made legal for us.

/end rant
^ This. I believe in a modified version of the Wiccan Rede: "An it harm none [other], do as ye will."

Dorothy: You really haven't grasped the concept of this gay thing yet, have you?

Blanche: There must be homosexuals who date women.

Sophia: Yeah, they're called lesbians.
  #9   Add to suma's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 16th, 2011, 12:37 PM

suma is on a distinguished road
yeah it's interesting that speaking most recently we have had 2 well known cops that are certainly shooting the juice, Ronnie Coleman and Derek Poundstone.
  #10   Add to redwolf64's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 27th, 2011, 03:46 AM

redwolf64
Send a message via AIM to redwolf64 Send a message via Yahoo to redwolf64
It's probably not that uncommon and you may see more of it as departments cut budgets - fewer police means only one cop to handle a situation where they might otherwise be two. (The city of Camden, NJ, recently cut their police force by half and the department told the public that they can only respond to high priority violent crime.)

There was a similar bust in my state a few years ago in Lexington, NC. I've noticed that it seems like you see more big muscled cops than you used to around the state.

There's also been reports of steroid use and abuse among our troops in the Middle East and the security firms working there. That might be part of the uptick as these guys come back and start working in related fields here in the states.
  #11   Add to Mubypoeby's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 31st, 2011, 06:10 PM

Mubypoeby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Mubypoeby
New Jersey Cops and Firefighters on Roids

Thanks Donny You too, mate. Woo New year and all of that

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline