The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to bRobertson's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 17th, 2011, 09:17 AM

bRobertson is on a distinguished road
Form and control vs weight/reps?

Hey all.

I'm still new-ish to fitness and lifting, I guess; I've only recently buckled down (again!) and started getting to the gym regularly, eating a protein-heavy diet, etc. My question right now regards these guys at the gym who are moving 2/3 of the weight stack, but doing so very jerkily, and it seem to me, using a lot of momentum to get through the complete movement.

I've always read and heard to try for perfect form and a steady, controlled movement, and if you can't complete the rep then rest a minute and do another set to failure. On the other hand, these guys have arms the size of my head, so obviously they know something I don't.

Anyone care to weigh in? I'd appreciate any info I can find, here, and it looks at first blush to be one of those opinion-based judgements...

Thanks in advance, Bob.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 20th, 2011, 03:34 PM

inflated is on a distinguished road
Form is definitely more important than how much weight is being lifted. With good form you can make a lighter weight offer all the benefits of lifting heavier. Good form is also important to prevent injury, lifting heavy with bad form is one of the main reasons people injure themselves. If you want to gain mass make the big three the core of your program--Squats--no substitutes, Deadlifts, and Benchpress, do these with impeccable form with as heavy a weight as you are able to do for 10 reps. With practice you should be able to continually increase the weight lifted.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks