General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to Lover_Boy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 31st, 2005, 11:52 AM
A Lover of Muscle

Lover_Boy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Lover_Boy
Evolution Of Tastes....

[color=#ff0000]Here's something I just wanted to put out there for discussion. Has anyone found that the criteria for what they find "attractive" has changed and evolved over time? I know mine has. Allow me to elaborate.[/color]
[color=#ff0000][/color]
[color=#ff0000]It used to be that I only found massive muscles appealing. You know, bodybuilders and the like. The sight of all that huge, overdeveloped muscle, sheathed in smooth oiled, shiny skin was enough to inspire a raging hardon. Despite my finding most pro bodybuilders lacking in "looks" (a personal opinion, if you'll all forgive me for it) didn't matter. It was only the muscle that counted to my eyes. Oh, there were occasional exceptions, like Danny "Hollywood" Hester. Also, I found any amount of body or facial hair unappealing (another personal opinion).[/color]
[color=#ff0000][/color]
[color=#ff0000]However, as I got older, and watched those around me (ie.- classmates, friends, etc.) mature, I now realize that my tastes have changed. And I'd like to think for the better. For example, I have never found hairloss pleasing to the eye. It's not a prejudice. I know it's an unfortunate fact of life for a great many males. But, in the past year, I've found myself quite smitten with a co-worker who is quite noticeably balding. He shaves his head, but when he allows it to grow in, you can tell. He's got sort of a "country boy" look. And he's nicely built, having maitained his wrestling/track physique from highschool (a bod I've had the priviledge of seeing shirtless). In short, he's adorable. With a bright smile, and a personality that instantly warms the heart.[/color]
[color=#ff0000][/color]
[color=#ff0000]Here's another example. A friend that I concider my best friend. Despite knowing him for less than a year, I feel like I've known him all my life. Although he's straight, I have fallen for him quite thoroughly. Far beyond any mere infatuation, or adolescent "crush". Generally speaking, he's clean cut, and the only word I can think of to describe his looks is "beautiful". And unlike most straight males, he's very sensitive, and emotion-based in his relationships with friends. What has caused me to examine my tastes is this one person. [/color]
[color=#ff0000][/color]
[color=#ff0000]Other than his looks, nothing else about him fits the former profiles of what I used to find attractive. He is just under 6' tall, with broad shoulders, and an obscenely tiny waist. Long limbed and thin, he is not however, a "twink". He has a thinly hairy chest (something I never used to find appealing), and what muscle he has, though nicely defined and prportioned, barely shows unless you see him shirtless (another bod I've had the priviledge seeing). For those of you who may be fans of Orlando Bloom (like me ), imagine his build with darker toned skin. [/color]
[color=#ff0000][/color]
[color=#ff0000]And after all this, it is to my complete astonishment that I find him irresistably sexy. I find myself wondering why I am attracted so hopelessly to someone who lacks so much of (what I thought) I wanted in a man. A friend of mine told me it's because I've matured mentally, and what he's built like doesn't matter as much as it once did because my feelings are more than physical.[/color]
[color=#ff0000][/color]
[color=#ff0000]I personally don't know for certain. I just thought I might share this with all of you, and hope to get some positive feedback. Thanx for listening to me ramble...... Ciao kiddiez.[/color]
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 1st, 2005, 08:05 PM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
I believe tastes evolve over time. I know that my tastes have widened a lot over the years. I also find that the bigger I get, the more attractive little guys are. Not sure why that is.
  #3   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 1st, 2005, 08:43 PM

Notbigenuff
Send a message via AIM to Notbigenuff Send a message via Yahoo to Notbigenuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent
I believe tastes evolve over time. I know that my tastes have widened a lot over the years. I also find that the bigger I get, the more attractive little guys are. Not sure why that is.
My tastes have changed with both my size and age as well. I find that as I get older other "older" men are starting to look a lot better as well! BTW, I find little guys with muscles to be more attractive than ever too...wonder why that is and how common it is for bigger guys to be attracted to smaller guys.

Also, I find it interesting how society's definition of a good looking man has changed. If you look at pictures of handsome men from the 30s or 40s for example you'll see that they look downright scrawny compared to the average Men's Health model for example - and abs were never seen. Just an observation - take it for what it's worth.
  #4   Add to LittleArm's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 2nd, 2005, 09:14 AM

LittleArm
Send a message via Yahoo to LittleArm
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent
I also find that the bigger I get, the more attractive little guys are.
Over here! Over here!
  #5   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 2nd, 2005, 09:47 AM

Notbigenuff is right about society's changing tastes. I don't think anyone even heard of bodybuilding before the late 1960's. Now you are considered sexy unless you weigh twice what those guys from the 1940's weighed! Also, I remember in the 1980's it was still rare to find a pic of a beefy guy... now they are all over the place!

Short guys that are built are f**king hot too. It's like a mighty mini, or something.
  #6   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 4th, 2005, 07:26 AM

ethernet_jock
Send a message via Yahoo to ethernet_jock
for some reason.... short built guys are very hot to me too... well actually... any built guys... oh well.

I would definitely agree that my tastes have changed as I've:

1.) Gotten older

2.) Gotten more mature and experienced

3.) Gotten bigger/stronger myself.

I found myself at the Denver Auto Show yesterday looking at all the muscle walking around.... I surprised myself a bit on more than one occasion when I looked at a guy that I once would've thought of as "built" and mentally accused him of being fairly weak and/or overweight and wondering why he would select clothing that attempted to show off muscle that even I had more of...

I guess that sounds pretty damn conceited doesn't it? Like I said... I really surprised myself!
  #7   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 4th, 2005, 07:50 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Changing tastes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethernet_jock
for some reason.... short built guys are very hot to me too... well actually... any built guys... oh well.
........I surprised myself a bit on more than one occasion when I looked at a guy that I once would've thought of as "built" and mentally accused him of being fairly weak and/or overweight and wondering why he would select clothing that attempted to show off muscle that even I had more of...

I guess that sounds pretty damn conceited doesn't it? Like I said... I really surprised myself!

Actually Ether, I think you're right on the mark!

I've always thought of myself as tall and skinny and now that I'm over 205#and in shape and have noticable, hard muscle, I find myself shocked at how fat, flabby and out of shape many guys are.

I'm especially shocked when I realize that many of these guys are in their 20s and 30s.

[I'm in my 40s and proud of it, thank you very much! Not dead, not in a convent and very much enjoying life! Anti-ageism rant out of the way, we now return you to our regularly scheduled thread... .]

I realize now that many of the guys that I used to think of as "kinda" built, those guys generally around 5'8" to 6', around 190# to 215#? or so are actually on the border of stocky/fat, as opposed to stocky muscular.

As I've worked out more and more, I realize:
1. How hard it is to do correctly and consistently and
2. How many people don't do it!

In working out myself, I now have a much better idea of a what a "built" body looks like, and there aren't enough of them out there!

...and, yes, the short, built guys are HOT! I saw one guy wearing a sleeveless vest, showing his tatooed, muscular arms, at the local Chuck E. Cheese's when my kids were at a birthday party there this weekend! How F****d up is that!?

Mdlftr
  #8   Add to timberino's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 4th, 2005, 02:20 PM

timberino is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to timberino Send a message via Yahoo to timberino
my 2 cents

i've said it before i'll say it again... you people all make me feel less insane. i found a change similar to you guys. i've noticed being a lot more concerned with how fit a person is. the first guy i really had a thing for had a gut and a big ass but he had a face that reminded me of clark kent.. so... thats always been a weakness. but before i started working out and putting on weight i really was just attracted most guys bigger than me. anything dominating. since i've put on weight though i'm much more willing to throw someone on a bed and tell them to suck my dick. i can only hope my confidence will inprove with more muscle. really a gut on a short stocky dude still gets me though. i'm like what ya'll talked about... theres just something about them... on average they have the nicest asses... like bowling balls. ... sorry... i'm done.
  #9   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 4th, 2005, 03:43 PM

EJ, I try not to judge guys showing off what little they have. We live in such a judgmental society that I applaud anyone that goes out in public in a muscle shirt.

Mdlftr, what's fucked up at looking at a hot guy at Chuck E. Cheese's ? I observe them everywhere, under any conditions.
  #10   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 5th, 2005, 07:00 AM

ethernet_jock
Send a message via Yahoo to ethernet_jock
Brent - as I have said to you before on many occasions - particularly in IM conversation - I'm working on that. You are - by far - my personal model/example for proper weight training self-confidence and overwhelmingly positive attitude. I think that the happier I can be with myself, the easier it will be for me to love everyone else too..... it's been slowly transforming that way and I've certainly a long way to go.... but I can see it coming.

Thanks!!! You've been a bigger help than I think you may really know.
  #11   Add to andres's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 8th, 2005, 03:21 PM

andres is on a distinguished road
Smile changes in tastes

I have noticed also some changes in my tastes. Before I found model-looking guys attractive. Now -only bodybuilders. Moreover, short ones preferably.
And the bigger and fitter I am, the more I notice how many people are out of shape
  #12   Add to RonnieRules's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 9th, 2005, 03:41 AM

RonnieRules
Send a message via Skype™ to RonnieRules
If I can add my two cents:

(This might be a little off-topic, but I have to write it)

A guy in my class has quite big bat ears, which is usually not that attractive but - hell! I'm so in love with him, so I don't care at all!
  #13   Add to Minotaur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 16th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Muscled Chub Club

Minotaur is on a distinguished road
Yes, my tastes have changed.

When I was younger I thought that the guys my age who were in shape were "all that". Then I found bodybuilders, later on. Not the really big overroided ones, but I remember my first issue of M&F had Lee Labrada on the cover. Man, I couldn't keep my hands off my... well, you know. I thought he was the most beautiful and sexy man I had seen. He is still handsome and built and I would not kick him out of bed!

But now, my taste goes to heavier huskier guys. I'm more turned on by powerlifters, strongmen, and off-season bodybuilder physiques. I love a guy with some padding, even a bit of a gut. I don't like the ripped look. Personally I have no problem with bulking and keeping the extra fat as long as my clothes will still fit!

Dorothy: You really haven't grasped the concept of this gay thing yet, have you?

Blanche: There must be homosexuals who date women.

Sophia: Yeah, they're called lesbians.
  #14   Add to BigLittleTim's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 16th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Big man in Boston

BigLittleTim has disabled reputation
When I was a kid I wanted to have a big, huge man take charge of me. As I got older (and bigger) I realized I wanted to BE that huge man, and take charge of smaller men. As I've packed on the size I've also become much more... versatile in what I want, sexually. Is it strange that I sometimes find myself wanting to be the huge hulking bottom who dominates a small scrawny top?
  #15   Add to vlad's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 16th, 2005, 04:29 PM

vlad is on a distinguished road
Mino, you pretty much described what i like too: "heavier huskier guys. I'm more turned on by powerlifters, strongmen, and off-season bodybuilder physiques. I love a guy with some padding, even a bit of a gut. I don't like the ripped look."

it's nice to see that I've got people on here who share my tastes as well...and if I remember correctly, you fall into the very category you described and I seconded, right?

in terms of evolution of taste...it's always been about that bigger, huskier type for me, though I'm finding that I sort of prefer short, thick guys. maybe because the shorter guys more often are at the thickness I like, or maybe I like the idea of someone my height or shorter but being way stronger/weighing way more than me.
  #16   Add to Minotaur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 16th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Muscled Chub Club

Minotaur is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I'm carrying a bit of padding myself... short and thick.

Dorothy: You really haven't grasped the concept of this gay thing yet, have you?

Blanche: There must be homosexuals who date women.

Sophia: Yeah, they're called lesbians.
  #17   Add to Bull's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 17th, 2005, 08:41 AM

Bull
Send a message via AIM to Bull Send a message via Yahoo to Bull
All it takes to change "taste" is to have one great experience with a different type. Or to have one or more bad experiences with a tye you formerly thought was hot. Having figured out that the majority of bodybuilders are selfish users, I find them much less attractive than I used to.
  #18   Add to Yachirobi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 17th, 2005, 06:17 PM
R O C K S T A R

Yachirobi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Yachirobi
That's a shame, but it's to be expected, sadly. Outer beauty can magnify inner ugliness. A lot of muscle men build muscle to make up for insecurities. Sometimes it heals them, other times it inflames them.

One of the best things about this site is that it's helped me discover what types of men I really like. Muscles are definitely a plus but I think there's a point where a guy gets so big and freaky that he stops being sexy and turns into nothing but a freak. I've also discovered that the natural body is a lot sexier than the roided up look.

But all of my experiences with men have led me to realize that muscle isn't the most important thing for me. I will always wish for a sexy muscle man but I've decided that I won't settle for less than a real man, no matter what he looks like and not matter how big or small his muscles are.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options