The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > Muscle Growth Media
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Muscle Growth Media Registered Members Only: Remember seeing The Hulk literally bust out of his clothes on TV as a kid? Talk about other muscle growth sightings in the movies, television, websites and other media. View and post before & after bodybuilding progress photos, morphs, illustrations and other male muscle growth-themed media.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to omelissokomos's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 23rd, 2005, 03:20 PM
The Bee Keeper

omelissokomos has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to omelissokomos
Hercules

Hallmark Entertainment will be showing a miniseries of Hercules starring British muscle cutie Paul Telfer. First episode's on 23 May 2005, so get those Tivos and VCRs ready!
  #2   Add to Herculean hunk's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 25th, 2005, 07:06 AM

Herculean hunk is on a distinguished road
it would be nice if some1 can record it and spread it around the forum =), sadly i can't record =(
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #3   Add to Aikuchi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 25th, 2005, 07:11 AM
Always a fan.

Aikuchi is on a distinguished road
Dont know when it'll ever come to South East Asia.

But i'm pretty sure they'll be a VCD or DVD release, and then screenshots can be captured for the forumites

Yinn
  #4   Add to roodinverse's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 26th, 2005, 06:17 PM

roodinverse
Send a message via Yahoo to roodinverse
Heh. count me interested

Watched the trailer. This seems a big budget TV love letter to all the OLD Hercules films of yore (Steve Reeves, Lou Ferrigno, etc.) combined with the super epic, Lord of the Rings meets Ridley Scott's Gladiator styled, week long TV miniseries.

Good examples of this genre are Sci-fi channel's Earthsea or Dune. or Armand Asante's (sp?) version of the Odyssey. Better yet, skip them and read the books. They're better. Especially Earthsea, as the miniseries got a lot wrong. I will catch this for the eye candy, overdone epic cheese, and big name cast.

Basically, the same reasons I sat through "Troy".

--rood
Oh, and for the record, I'm a sucker for epic cheese. I'll probably go see Ridley Scott's Kingdom of Heaven, even though it has next to no beef as far as I can tell (unlike Gladiator). Mainly because I hear he didn't screw up the subject matter as much as he could have (it's about the Crusades).
  #5   Add to Chi-town's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 9th, 2005, 02:50 PM

Chi-town is on a distinguished road
Telfer photo

There's a brief interview with Paul Telfer in this month's M&F (June 2005). Includes full page photo of him in constume, flashing some awesome biceps.
  #6   Add to Doctor9's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 16th, 2005, 06:46 PM

Doctor9 is on a distinguished road
Good evening all!

About half-way through the show so far - just thought I'd comment...

Paul does look the part, I find. A hair more athletic than bodybuilder in look - seems to make sense to me, given the historical/mythical context.

On a separate note, even the teen-aged Hercules wasn't too bad - fit, but obviously still a boy.

My only complaint so far is that I'm pretty sure the "lift up horse every day as it gets bigger" bit wasn't part of the Hercules mythology - my memory isn't dredging up the name, but I'm sure it wasn't him.

Doctor9
  #7   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 16th, 2005, 08:59 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
The name was...

...Milo of Something-or-other.&it was a cow.&supposedly,he was an actual historical figure.
  #8   Add to Beemer133's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 16th, 2005, 09:19 PM

Beemer133 is on a distinguished road
Post Story

Anyone know where to find the Hercules muscle growth story? It was about his labours for the king, and was very good (and long if i remember correctly).
  #9   Add to Chi-town's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 16th, 2005, 09:27 PM

Caught the first hour and the last half-hour. Oh my, was it awful! Cheezy effects (I won't even call them "special"), take-the-money-and-run acting (Elizabeth Perkins, I'm looking at you), dialogue from a second grade skit...

...but my goodness, that Paul Telfer is gorgeous! He actually does very well -- he can cry on cue, his smile is dazzling, and he's quite articulate. I'm sure we'll see more of him.

The fantasy part is when he first appears: the teenage Hercules, in an effort to build his strength, begins squatting a young colt. The boy then transforms into adult Hercules squatting a horse -- with Mr. Telfer shirtless and sweaty. Very nice touch, but they do make you wait 45 minutes before it comes. And a moment later when Timothy Dalton (!) places his hands on Hercules and leaves them there while saying good-bye; whew, did I envy Mr. Dalton.

Apparently NBC trimmed an hour from the mini-series and moved up the televised date. Guess they didn't have any confidence in it.
  #10   Add to omelissokomos's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 16th, 2005, 09:48 PM
The Bee Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town
Apparently NBC trimmed an hour from the mini-series and moved up the televised date.
So that's why the sched changed. I'll have to wait for it to come out on the local Hallmark Channel.
  #11   Add to musclesed's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 17th, 2005, 05:34 AM

musclesed is on a distinguished road
man, i just gotta comment... it WAS cheesy... and the special effects WERE a bit dated... but that scene of him laying in bed after he tried to kill himself... DAMN..that was frickin HOT... he's got some abs on him.. and some pecs... meaty... REALLY MEATY!!!
  #12   Add to bluecoolz's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:42 AM

bluecoolz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by omelissokomos
So that's why the sched changed. I'll have to wait for it to come out on the local Hallmark Channel.
Oh, I see... Singapore does have the Hallmark Channel on the cable, but it did not show in Singapore... How sad...
  #13   Add to Aikuchi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 17th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Always a fan.

Aikuchi is on a distinguished road
I think its just a matter of time till it shows in South East Asia.
I'm still watiting

All the other Hallmark shows get to SEA pretty soon anwyays. Let's hope Hercules is one of them

Yinn
  #14   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 17th, 2005, 10:15 AM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
I caught bits of it at the gym. I'm sure it'll come out on DVD, then I'll be able to pause it, etc. The guy playing Hercules was beautiful, at had a body to die for. I imagine the writing wasn't to good, and I'm sure I didn't miss much seeing it without sound...
  #15   Add to jdhdawg's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 17th, 2005, 04:19 PM

jdhdawg is on a distinguished road
I thought the movie was surprisingly gory & violent for network TV. The highlight was definitely Mr Telfer. He had awesome arms, a magnificent set of pecs with amazingly-defined abs for a big guy. Wow.
  #16   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 17th, 2005, 04:35 PM

CelticMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
UK question

Will this be shown in the United Kingdom?
  #17   Add to jdhdawg's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 17th, 2005, 04:41 PM

jdhdawg is on a distinguished road
Don't know but check out the website....http://paultelfer.facesgh.com/index2.htm
  #18   Add to jockga's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 17th, 2005, 07:32 PM

jockga has disabled reputation
loin cloth

my memories were of hercules wearing only a loin cloth. i was disappointed to see all the clothing that herc wore during most of the movie on sunday. is this part of the conservative american culture?
i have a thing about television not showing a mans nipples. if you look at razor blade commercial or even old navy ads they will show a womans breasts and the drop of a hat but when it comes to showing a mans naked nipples wow the television censors will be fast to cut them out of the view on the t.v. screen.
has anyone else had these same observations?
  #19   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:12 PM

Notbigenuff
Send a message via AIM to Notbigenuff Send a message via Yahoo to Notbigenuff
Had to tape the show last night and watched it tonight - concerning Paul Telfer all I can say is WOW!! The best looking Hercules since Steve Reeves in my opinion. But sadly, his body was the best "special effect" of the whole show. Though in many ways the story was closer to the original mythology/legend than, for example, Disney's Hercules (which I very much enjoyed) or even the recent TV series with Kevin Sorbo, the writing, acting, etc. in general just seemed to drag along. Too bad...
  #20   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 18th, 2005, 07:33 AM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
Telfer is gorgeous (I mean REALLY gorgeous!) but I only made it about halfway through the show. It was just lame, even though (as a former classics student) I appreciated the faithfulness to the original mythology.

I've been nosing around the net but thus far I haven't found out too much about Telfer except that:

(1) He's 25 (born 1980?)
(2) He's 6'2
(3) He's been lifting since he was 14
(4) His body has been something of a hindrance in terms of landing parts (most casting directors think he's too big...)

Also:

There's *another* Paul Telfer who is a star football (soccer) player for some UK team. Also dark haired but 33 instead of 25, 5'9 and 160 lbs. instead of 6'2 and (well over) 200 lbs.

As for our star:

Those lips! Those eyes! Those traps! Those pecs! Those bi's! That furry chest!

Total fucking WOOF!

xoxo

richard
  #21   Add to Chi-town's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 18th, 2005, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockga
my memories were of hercules wearing only a loin cloth. i was disappointed to see all the clothing that herc wore during most of the movie on sunday. is this part of the conservative american culture?
i have a thing about television not showing a mans nipples. if you look at razor blade commercial or even old navy ads they will show a womans breasts and the drop of a hat but when it comes to showing a mans naked nipples wow the television censors will be fast to cut them out of the view on the t.v. screen.
has anyone else had these same observations?
I don't think it's the conservative culture, but you're definitely onto something. I think it's been a long-accepted practice to objectify women but people are still uncomfortable with objectifying men. I really do think it's a form of homophobia -- "I don't want to see/We can't show anything that might cause a man to have even a mild erotic reaction!" Whether in razor ads or sit-coms or whatever, it's OK to show a glimpse of a man's chest as a tease ("This shot's for the ladies."), then back off.

As for the costumes, they probably just borrowed shit from "Hercules", "Xena" and any number of other syndicated TV shows.

And so, in my effort to bring equality to the sexes, I hereby proclaim that yes, I objectify Paul Telfer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpeejay
Those lips! Those eyes! Those traps! Those pecs! Those bi's! That furry chest!

Total fucking WOOF!
Amen, honey! I was looking at that gorgeous face trying to think of who he reminded me of, and I realized: Billy Zane, particularly in "The Phantom" movie. Only bigger, of course.
  #22   Add to Lucas88's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:08 AM

Lucas88 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Lucas88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town
I don't think it's the conservative culture, but you're definitely onto something. I think it's been a long-accepted practice to objectify women but people are still uncomfortable with objectifying men. I really do think it's a form of homophobia -- "I don't want to see/We can't show anything that might cause a man to have even a mild erotic reaction!" Whether in razor ads or sit-coms or whatever, it's OK to show a glimpse of a man's chest as a tease ("This shot's for the ladies."), then back off.
I'm not sure if it's homophobic or sexist...we're still a very heterosexully-male-driven society. It wasn't that long ago in history that women were considered property much more readily than individuals and we still do a hell of a job objectifying them today. The male slaves of history were considered objects or possessions as opposed to individuals, and there was little concern about the clothing of a male slave...clothing was a symbol of status and slaves had none. I think a large percentage of the male population still can't grasp the concept of a man choosing to objectify himself (bodybuilders flexing and posing in little more than G-strings, male models strutting down a runway in their underwear, etc.) and putting himself on display as women and slaves have been for centuries (a VERY GENERAL STATEMENT...there are more enlightened men in the world today but there are a lot of unenlightened men, too, and hundreds of years of cultural norms don't just disappear overnight).

Then again, if a "normal" heterosexual male is caught watching shows revolving around half-naked men...well, they must be gay, right? I know a lot of straight guys who would think that.

Food for thought.
  #23   Add to Pagemaster_B's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:15 PM

Pagemaster_B is on a distinguished road
Work and other obligations have kept me from watching. Hercules is one of my favorite Greek myths since I was a kid, and I'm disappointed to hear that Hallmark Entertainment did a poor job with it. They use to have such good movies when I was a kid. Come to think of it, their fantasy based films have been piss poor over the past number of years. "Merlin" was horrible despite the promising premise and the actor, Sam Neil. I just couldn't get myself past the first half hour.

Honestly, I never did like the "Hercules" tv show, either. Bad writing, bad acting, and bad special effects. Xena was the same way, and now I have to suffer her more because my roommate keeps buying the series on DVD--yuck! Now, if only I can find the Hercules movies with Lou Ferigno (I know I botched his name badly), then I'll be happy. He's not green and he runs around shirtless--you can't get any better than that!

As for the nipples not shown, here's a page from my sarcastic humor: Because of the demand for equality between the sexes, women are not allowed to show their nipples on TV, so men aren't allow to show their nipples either. How's that for equality?
  #24   Add to Lucas88's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 20th, 2005, 06:25 AM

Lucas88 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Lucas88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagemaster_B
As for the nipples not shown, here's a page from my sarcastic humor: Because of the demand for equality between the sexes, women are not allowed to show their nipples on TV, so men aren't allow to show their nipples either. How's that for equality?
I like your answer better than mine {he says LAUGHING HIS ASS OFF!!!}
  #25   Add to Minotaur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 7th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Muscled Chub Club

Minotaur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor9
My only complaint so far is that I'm pretty sure the "lift up horse every day as it gets bigger" bit wasn't part of the Hercules mythology - my memory isn't dredging up the name, but I'm sure it wasn't him.

Doctor9
You are thinking of Milo. He carried a calf on his shoulders every day. As the calf grew, so did Milo's strength.

Btw, I did not like this rendition of Hercules. Paul Telfer is gorgeous, but in plain English I thought the movie sucked. He was good in the USA movie Spartacus playing Gannicus, Spartacus's heroic friend.

Last edited by Minotaur; June 7th, 2005 at 09:18 AM.
  #26   Add to omelissokomos's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 15th, 2007, 05:47 AM
The Bee Keeper

Now with pics

Two non-Hercules shots, the second from his stint in Hotel Babylon

Last edited by omelissokomos; November 20th, 2007 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Photobucket being an ass. That scan came from Cosmo magazine.
  #27   Add to bayjock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 19th, 2007, 10:14 PM

bayjock is on a distinguished road
According to IMDB, Paul will be in the upcoming movie "Young Alexander The Great". Here's a link to a preview: http://www.ilyasalkindcompany.com/al...llfeature.html

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options