The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences Got a friend who went from geek to stud? (Or was that YOU who got huge?) Share your real-life muscle growth experiences.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to wbhunk's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 30th, 2005, 05:45 PM

wbhunk is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to wbhunk Send a message via Yahoo to wbhunk
A Clothing Store Moment

Just had to share this one.

I'm visiting a friend in Chicago this weekend; today we went shopping and stopped by the Mark Sloan outlet (fine men's clothes).

I was trying on a regular suit jacket....the salesman stared and said, "You're so broad at the shoulders and narrow at the waist.....we'll really have to alter that jacket to make it fit. You might want to consider having it custom-made."

In the interest of maintaining a family atmosphere, I won't repeat what he said when I tried on the slacks. Suffice to say it was a comment to the effect that pants of that waist size were never intended to contain thighs or a butt on the order of mine.

So, with a heavy heart, I had to leave some bargains on the rack....but definitely with a lightened spirit for the comments!
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to massingUP's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 30th, 2005, 11:44 PM

massingUP is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to massingUP
Wooo-ooof! I love those moments -- they might be a bit inconvenient, but it's always a boost to the ego. Good for you stud!

Had one recently like that myself. I was in a story that catered primarily to a gay clientelle and thus had lots of athletic-cut shirts and pants -- which I find fit me better for the shoulder/chest/waist and waist/thighs proportions.

Anyways, I trying on a european-made shirt that was marked XL and it barely fit me at all -- it was beyond "tight-and-sexy" to "tight-and-scary"... And then when I tried on another shirt that was fitting poorly, I made a comment to the clerk who'd been watching me go through all of this, saying that I'd figured with all of the gym guys who shopped in there I'd be able to find something to fit. And he just chuckled and said "We have lots of gym guys here, but not many your size."

Cheered me up... So congrats on your shopping expedition, and may you bust out of your current clothes soon!

-- J.

http://www.bigmuscle.com/~massingUP
  #3   Add to wbhunk's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 1st, 2005, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massingUP
And then when I tried on another shirt that was fitting poorly, I made a comment to the clerk who'd been watching me go through all of this, saying that I'd figured with all of the gym guys who shopped in there I'd be able to find something to fit. And he just chuckled and said "We have lots of gym guys here, but not many your size."
Now that is great to hear.....and in my opinion, it couldn't happen to a nicer guy than you, MassingUP.
  #4   Add to loopyrhino2001's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:19 PM
Gym Mouse

loopyrhino2001
Send a message via Yahoo to loopyrhino2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbhunk
I was trying on a regular suit jacket....the salesman stared and said, "You're so broad at the shoulders and narrow at the waist.....we'll really have to alter that jacket to make it fit. You might want to consider having it custom-made."

In the interest of maintaining a family atmosphere, I won't repeat what he said when I tried on the slacks. Suffice to say it was a comment to the effect that pants of that waist size were never intended to contain thighs or a butt on the order of mine.
Y'know, I have a similar problem with the "butt too big" and (occasionally) "shoulders too wide" relative to the waist size when clothes shopping... unfortunately, I'm tiny (5'1") so I usually have to shop in the boys' dept. I guess proportionally I have similar issues as some of you big guys, just on a much smaller scale.

And wbhunk - you were in Chicago this weekend? Sorry the weather was so crummy!
  #5   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 3rd, 2005, 07:31 AM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
Dan & James, I'm glad to hear about both of you doing well. You are both nice guys that deserve to burst out of your clothes! As for "european cut" I definately empathise eith you. There is one stroe at the mall I work at, that I pass at lunch time every day called Zara. They have great clothes, great prices, and the boys that work there are very nice (rare for LV). The only issue is that ALL their clothes have european cut. Trying on an XL shirt, I had to have 3 guys help me out of it, and clouldn't move at all, or the silly thing would have burst to shreds.
  #6   Add to UKBeefy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 3rd, 2005, 01:09 PM

UKBeefy is on a distinguished road
Zara is a spanish clothing chain. They have good stuff especially in their spanish stores where the price in Euro is the price in ? here.

U do see the odd beefy Spaniard but not obviously in their clothing shops.
  #7   Add to massingUP's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 3rd, 2005, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent
There is one store at the mall I work at, that I pass at lunch time every day called Zara. They have great clothes, great prices, and the boys that work there are very nice (rare for LV). The only issue is that ALL their clothes have european cut. Trying on an XL shirt, I had to have 3 guys help me out of it, and clouldn't move at all, or the silly thing would have burst to shreds.
Heh heh heh... Thanks, Brent, for your kind words. You're a good guy yourself, and I can't wait til you look just like your avatar. <g>

I've had exactly the same experience at Zara myself. I quite like their clothes -- they look good on the mannequins, at any rate -- but there's no way I can get into any of them. They're just made on a much smaller scale...

But don't give up hope! For years I couldn't wear anything from Club Monaco and certainly not their pants -- the largest inseam-length was 32" and I'm at least a 34". But in the last year or two they've changed their sizing and now I buy all of my semi-formal work-pants there. And they even fit me in the legs/glute -- a bit tight, but that just means I get to show off a big ol' squatter's butt at work. *chuckle*

So maybe Zara will smarten up when they realize there are lots of stylish muscleboys in North America.

-- J.

#8   Add to wbhunk's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:08 PM

Indeed I was in Chicago this weekend, Loopyrhino, and apology accepted -- I definitely did NOT expect it to be so freaking cold! Next time we'll have to meet for coffee or something.

Brent....as always....ya big sweetie.

I can't say that I'm an expert on high fashion, given that I consider the Gap to be such, but I have had good luck with their shirts and pants in general -- the XL fitted shirts have a decent cut and are not incredibly blousy at the waist. As for pants, you learn quickly that, with big thighs, "khakis" is the most beautiful word in the English language.

I suppose what this means is that, if I want relatively-formal stuff, I shall have to cultivate a relationship with a good tailor.
  #9   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 4th, 2005, 06:36 AM

optimusx is on a distinguished road
Posts like these always make me wonder... why don't they make clothes for guys with proportions like us?

I mean, I've found it near impossible to find pants in any store that actually fit well the whole way down. Either the bum and/or the quads-hams are too tight. You can always buy "larger" pants, but then you start to look like you're wearing parachute pants just to have enough room in the bum/quads-hams. Shirts seem to follow the same logic as the pants.

Congrats to WBhunk and Massingup though hopefully I'll have a similar experience this week when I go and buy a new suit for a wedding next weekend... I've dreaded purchasing another one since I usually get only one or two wears out of it before I outgrow it ...maybe if they made it out of stretchier material I could wear it longer

Scott
  #10   Add to mslworshipper's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 4th, 2005, 06:04 PM

mslworshipper
Send a message via Yahoo to mslworshipper Send a message via Skype™ to mslworshipper
A Compliment from a BodyBuilder

Everyday I go to the gym, head to locker room, change, do my cardio, go to the sauna, shower, and go home. I don't talk to anyone, because I am afraid to.

Anyway, I was heading to do cardio when one of the bodybuilders asked me how I was doing. I was stunned and surprised that he wanted to talk to me. I said that I was fine and he asked me if I have been losing weight. I said yes, and he said that it shows and keep up the good job.

I never thought I would get a compliment from a bodybuilder let alone from anyone else (different story). It gave me a good feeling that I want to continue to workout and do more to get the body I want.

It is amazing how a good compliment can make you feel.

#11   Add to wbhunk's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusx
Posts like these always make me wonder... why don't they make clothes for guys with proportions like us?
LOL.....I have a feeling it has a lot to do with the fact that there isn't much of an audience out there. As you noted, Scott, the stuff that DOES fit us is cut for other things....like gigantic waists.

I suppose the lesson is to cultivate a relationship with a good tailor -- or ask bodybuilders where they buy their suits!
  #12   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslworshipper
Everyday I go to the gym, head to locker room, change, do my cardio, go to the sauna, shower, and go home. I don't talk to anyone, because I am afraid to.

Anyway, I was heading to do cardio when one of the bodybuilders asked me how I was doing. I was stunned and surprised that he wanted to talk to me. I said that I was fine and he asked me if I have been losing weight. I said yes, and he said that it shows and keep up the good job.
MW,
You shouldn't be afraid to talk to people; the 'bodybuilders' at your gym are just other guys that share an intrest with you (workingout), and happen to be at a different stage of developement. They are not monsters that you might think they are. Also, when do we get progress pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
optimusx][/b]
This is the problem with ready to wear clothes: they are designed 95% of the population in mind. The designers don't really care about the last few percentage points. You can get clothes altered at Burlinton Coat Factory , and it's a great place to get a suit.
  #13   Add to claygrant's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:25 AM

claygrant is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to claygrant
Quote:

I never thought I would get a compliment from a bodybuilder let alone from anyone else (different story). It gave me a good feeling that I want to continue to workout and do more to get the body I want.

It is amazing how a good compliment can make you feel.

msl, congrats on that!! It proves that you've made great progress. I hope you remember moments like this whenever you're talking yourself out of going to the gym or doing something positive for yourself. I know what you mean about being afraid to talk to strangers, especially in the gym.

Incidentally, a bodybuilder in my gym gave me an unsolicited spot yesterday. I blogged about it because it was really jarring. I never expected anyone, much less the biggest and most ripped guy in the gym to give me a spot.

So to get this thread back on topic, have you had any clothing store moments due to your consistent weight loss??
  #14   Add to CanadianGordon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 5th, 2005, 04:54 PM

CanadianGordon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to CanadianGordon
I've always had large legs throughout my life, and have had to wear larger pants than usual otherwise my thighs feel encased in leather... And I've always had to replace my pants quicker than most do, because my thighs are so big, they wear out the fabric on the inseam. lol
The neat thing is, now that I've realized how wonderful my legs truly are, I'm more into showing them off now.
I can't wait till the weather gets really warm and I can take off my pants and get into some shorts and really show 'em off!
Incidentally I get asked how to grow my legs alot more now at the gym by a lot of the newbies...
I lie (because it's genetics) and say, lift carefully, and heavy.

G.
  #15   Add to musclesed's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:32 PM

musclesed is on a distinguished road
not a clothing store... but clothes...

hey guys... this is kinda my first real post... but i had a pretty crazy day and thought i would mention it here, where other guys can appreciate and get a bit of a chuckle..

i wore a short sleeved shirt today... and for the past 5 months have been watching what i eat and lifting regularly... so, i have to admit... it's kinda showing....
the shirt i wore today fits well... i started wearing clothes that fit as opposed to clothes that hide... the shirt i wore is sorta tight around my arms [i'm at about 18 now... but i lost my tape measure, so i may be a little higher] anyways, i had about 4 comments on how big my arms were, and how many muscles i have... i was constantly embarrassed, but yet, proud... if that's possible.

i had two people [both guys] grab my arm and squeeze and say "damn, your guns are huge" or "man, these things are big!"

i've always been called, big guy, or referred to as "big" or "muscles" but i'm starting to feel good about it...

i've attached a few shots... two normal shots of my arm and one i morphed... don't worry, you'll be able to tell the difference... ;-)

i would love to be able to get more of a peak on my arms... it's gradual..but i want to get one.. i know it's part/all genetics... anybody ever hear of a good "peak building" exercise?

well, thanks for the time guys... i really enjoy everyone's stories, and i love the fact that i can relate to 95% of them!

take a look... and i'll be back on more often, i'm sure...

peace.
  #16   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 6th, 2005, 01:04 AM

Damn, your guns really are huge there musclesed. They must be over 18; mine are 18", and yours look a lot bigger. Part is the pose, and the shirt's cut (side note:I love the paisely). I hope you will be more active here in the forums.

As for building the peak, I've been wondering that too. I wonder if focusing on the mid part of preacher curls with a super heavy weight could help? If anyone has any ideas, please add a coment.
  #17   Add to musclesed's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 6th, 2005, 03:58 AM

musclesed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent
Damn, your guns really are huge there musclesed. They must be over 18; mine are 18", and yours look a lot bigger. Part is the pose, and the shirt's cut (side note:I love the paisely). I hope you will be more active here in the forums.

As for building the peak, I've been wondering that too. I wonder if focusing on the mid part of preacher curls with a super heavy weight could help? If anyone has any ideas, please add a coment.

thanks brent!
like i said, i need to find that tape measure!
i'm sure i'll be on here a lot more in the future...

peace...
  #18   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 6th, 2005, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclesed
like i said, i need to find that tape measure!
I always find nice ones in the sewing section of dollar stores such as Dollar Tree.
  #19   Add to UKBeefy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 6th, 2005, 10:11 AM

UKBeefy is on a distinguished road
I always think that a sign of someone really into getting big shows some tell tale signs around the house:

1. Multiple tape measures - in different rooms
2. A higher than av no of mirrors - some of which are full height.
3. The usual kitchen with alot of supplements, protein stuff
4. A refrigerator full of cooked chicken/rice/pasta
5. An interesting DVD/Porn collection featuring well the usual suspects

Anyone with more suggestions?
  #20   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 6th, 2005, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKBeefy
I always think that a sign of someone really into getting big shows some tell tale signs around the house:

1. Multiple tape measures - in different rooms
2. A higher than av no of mirrors - some of which are full height.
3. The usual kitchen with alot of supplements, protein stuff
4. A refrigerator full of cooked chicken/rice/pasta
5. An interesting DVD/Porn collection featuring well the usual suspects

Anyone with more suggestions?
At least I don't qualify for #4, because I don't eat chicken. Also, #5 is out because I don't have a porn collection. I think a requirement on #2 is a mirror in every room of your dwelling.
  #21   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 9th, 2005, 01:50 PM

ethernet_jock
Send a message via Yahoo to ethernet_jock
door frames where you can see impact marks from too-wide shoulders?

t-shirts laying in the laundry room where the chest/pec area and bicep areas are overly strecthed-out and distorted beyond the rest of the shirt?

a loaded dumbell (or two or three) in the bedroom so you can get in that last extra set of curls right before bed?

Incidentally - I've started doing the last recently... trying to really see if I can do everything to explode my lagging biceps. It seems to actually be working! Give me a few more weeks and we'll find out.
  #22   Add to mslworshipper's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 6th, 2005, 11:52 AM

mslworshipper
Send a message via Yahoo to mslworshipper Send a message via Skype™ to mslworshipper
Getting Refitted for a Tuxedo

Hey guys,

I will make this short but interesting. Around February I had to be fitted for a tuxedo for my brother's wedding in June.

I started my diet in April and know that I have lost weight and my clothes is loose. I told my brother and he told me this week to redo my fitting so that the taylor can adjust my tux by June 18th (his wedding day).

He are the results:

Date: 2-23-05

Weight: 205
Chest: 43"
Overrim: 58"
Coat Size: 48 R
Waist: 46"
Neck Size: 16.25"

Date: 6-6-05

Weight: 189
Chest: 38"
Overrim: 50"
Coat Size 44 R
Waist: 40"
Neck Size: 14"

#23   Add to Minotaur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 6th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Muscled Chub Club

Minotaur is on a distinguished road
Haha I love these kinds of stories. I don't feel so alone. Clothes shopping is often a real challenge.

I'm a short 'husky' guy... 5'5" and 231 lbs, working on losing about 25 lbs most of it from my "musclebear gut".

Anyhoo... I take a 17 1/2 - 33 dress shirt, XL in other shirts and a 46-48 Short jacket. The only place I can get a jacket that fits is Men's Wearhouse, believe it or not. The salesman told me when I first walked in that they fit guys "like us" all the time.
  #24   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 6th, 2005, 02:26 PM

ethernet_jock
Send a message via Yahoo to ethernet_jock
Quote:
Hey guys,

I will make this short but interesting. Around February I had to be fitted for a tuxedo for my brother's wedding in June.

I started my diet in April and know that I have lost weight and my clothes is loose. I told my brother and he told me this week to redo my fitting so that the taylor can adjust my tux by June 18th (his wedding day).

He are the results:

Date: 2-23-05

Weight: 205
Chest: 43"
Overrim: 58"
Coat Size: 48 R
Waist: 46"
Neck Size: 16.25"

Date: 6-6-05

Weight: 189
Chest: 38"
Overrim: 50"
Coat Size 44 R
Waist: 40"
Neck Size: 14"

AWESOME! 6" off your waist is NO SMALL FEAT!! Congraulations on the dramatic weight loss and continued improvements in your health.

#25   Add to jdhdawg's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 10th, 2005, 02:53 AM

jdhdawg is on a distinguished road
Talking

Nice work, mslworshipper! I had a cool experience when visiting my hometown over Christmas. I had recently begun an activity where I had to get dressed up frequently. Not needing suits for work, my wardrobe was lacking.

I went into a store at the mall to try to get a suit. At the time, I had been on a steady workout schedule for about 3 months with very good results. I was up to 205-210 lbs. When I approached a college guy to help me try on suits, he asked if I knew my size. I told him that I didn't have a clue. He proceeded to start me off with a 42" jacket. I couldn't even get it on. We went up to a 44 and so on, until we got to 48 which he said just seemed a bit too tight. Finally, we settled on a 50! The guy said kind of dumbstruck, "I guess you work out pretty seriously..."

The sad part was that the store didn't have "separates" so the 44" pants were way too big to alter. I left without a new suit but with a major ego boost.
  #26   Add to massingUP's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 11th, 2005, 04:35 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhdawg
The sad part was that the store didn't have "separates" so the 44" pants were way too big to alter. I left without a new suit but with a major ego boost.
I know how you feel, jdhdawg. I'm going to have to move into the world of "separates" myself -- either that or bespoke tailoring. The last suit I bought was a 48 tall, which came with 40" pants, which the tailor swore she could alter down to my typical 34" waist. Unfortunately, her promised turned out to have been a bit of a stretch -- she did cut the waist down to 34", but the rest of the pants are way too loose and flowy and full of fabric... Feels more like a victorian ballgown than a pair of pants.

And to top things off, when I put that suit on today for a function, it felt kinda tight across the back and shoulders, while the waist was WAY too big for me: had to cinch it in at least two inches with a belt. So I guess it's time to get another suit... Custom fit, anyone?

-- James

#27   Add to SouthernSuitor's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 1st, 2011, 05:59 AM

SouthernSuitor has disabled reputation
Bespoke and tailored clothing might be pricey, but it's worth it--particularly if you've reached a size you're comfortable with. Some privately-owned menstores offer both custom suits and custom shirts (with collars proportioned to your neck), so I do strongly recommend investing in some custom clothing if you're willing to splurge.
  #28   Add to SouthernSuitor's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 21st, 2011, 04:29 AM

SouthernSuitor has disabled reputation
By the way, if you're looking for custom tailoring at a remarkably cheap price, try http://www.itailor.com/. They only make custom shirts right now, but apparently they'll expand to making suits soon.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options