The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences Got a friend who went from geek to stud? (Or was that YOU who got huge?) Share your real-life muscle growth experiences.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 10th, 2005, 07:36 AM

ethernet_jock
Send a message via Yahoo to ethernet_jock
new neighbors

nothing huge... but a cute story from yesterday evening that I wanted to share. It was an ego boost for me, anyway...

So we have these new neighbors that bought the house behind us and moved-in about a week or two ago. My wife and I decided to walk up with our son and introduce ourselves last night. Nice mom... dad's out of town unfortunately... so nobody for me to talk to. But it turns out she has 3 boys, ages 7 down through 3 and another kid on the way..... so you guys know how much I love kids.... I had myself someone to play with while my wife wandered the house with the new neighbor wife.

We played "monkey in the middle" with the two oldest kids (5 and 7) for quite a while... at which.... of course... I was very good at being 6'4". So they would take turns standing on the staircase to try and throw the ball over my head (when I was in the middle).... of course I allowed them to win a couple times or it would've been incredibly boring. So - as brothers do and any game involving a ball would.... monkey in the middle turns into brothers wrestling for the ball in a playful manner.

Now I should tell you first about Nathan - the oldest (7). He's a pretty big kid, as he so proudly brags over and over again, he's 80lbs.... which is pretty damn heavy for a 7-year-old as I understand it.... and he's anything but fat. He's also incredibly kind and gentle with his younger brothers.... what a great kid. I haven't met his father yet which REALLY makes me wonder about him... but anyway...

I let them wrestle on the floor for a few minutes and then I picked each one of them up under each one of my arms with one hand and carried them around the room threatening to dump them in various places -- welcomed of course by many giggles. After that, it immediately became a contest of who could get picked-up and tossed around....

we ended up in the kitchen wife my wife and the neighbor wife because she brought up my job somehow.... anyway.... I pickup the smaller kid and lift him over my head so he's pressed-up against the ceiling (they seem to love that) - making him "WAY TALL". Mom had a bit of a worried look on her face... then the older kid walks up to me and says "I bet you can't pick me up! I'm 80lbs!". *snicker*.... and her mom is like "no Nathan, I'm sure he doesn't want to do that" while I just stood and smiled and said "sure!". The mom looked worried for a moment and my wife reassured her with "don't worry, he's a weight-lifter". She was still worried.

So anyway - obviously - I picked-up Nathan and pressed him expertly over my head flat against the ceiling for a full minute or so and his mom's jaw dropped slightly until she told him to come down because he was "worrying her". All the while Nathan is laughing and wiggling and saying amusing things like "oh crap.... ohhh crap".... well... she told him to get down... but she was obviously trying to tell me to let him down. After that - I was "the biggest guy" and "cool".

I relished that for a little while last night... wondering what the kids would tell their Dad when he came back about the big neighbor guy.... I love kids, it's like I get to play and be free again.... something I almost never got to do when I was a kid.

So yeah, that was it. Nothing incredibly impressive.... but it was a major boost to me anyway.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to omelissokomos's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 10th, 2005, 07:39 AM
The Bee Keeper

omelissokomos has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to omelissokomos
Hehehe... EJ, the Gentle Giant.
  #3   Add to claygrant's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 10th, 2005, 08:54 AM

claygrant is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to claygrant
hahah.. "oh crap oh crap"
What a great story. I think it's interesting that your wife says, "He's a weight lifter." That term seems out of date or something. Like she's trying to explain your habit to someone who doesn't understand it at all.

And yeah, an 80 pound kid at 7? He's got potential..
  #4   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:36 AM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
Sounds like fun, but 2 kids?!?!? Are they Mormon, or Catholic?
  #5   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:42 AM

ethernet_jock
hahaha...

3 kids, and a 4th on the way Brent! I don't know yet, but they're from Boise which usually screams out loud MORMON..... we'll see. I can't imagine any more than the one I have and I'm going to have a 2nd soon enough.... 2 will definitely be enough.

Clay - yeah, she knows that I don't like the term "bodybuilder". I hate it when people try to call me "bodybuilder" because it feels like I'm just in it for the 'looks' and then there's this expectation of me having a great-looking body (which I DO NOT have). Particularly in terms of leanness... that's not me. You could say "power lifter" which would be partially true.... but weight-lifter is probably the easiest way to describe my habit. I actually don't even like it much when she tells people that I'm a "weight lifter" because I don't think I'm qualified for that description yet - I feel like there's an expectation for me to be unusually strong and I'm not very strong at all (yet)... or at least compared to other "weight lifters" my size. I don't like setting people up for an expectation of me to be something that I don't feel I am yet - I'd rather surprise them later on when I actually get there! so yeah... that's where that comes from.

omo - call me what you will.... I love kids.
  #6   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:44 AM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
Of course, sometimes it doesn't pay to be your children's Own Personal Jungle Gym when they're little -- they still want you to do it when they're teenagers! Fortunately mine are pretty skimpy but piggyback-riding a 140-lb. 18 y.o. up the stairs can be a bit wearying for an old troll, especially when the 18 y.o. in question is all knees and elbows. Ow!

rpj
  #7   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 10th, 2005, 02:01 PM

Then I shall call you Michael Jackson. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethernet_jock
hahaha...

3 kids, and a 4th on the way Brent! I don't know yet, but they're from Boise which usually screams out loud MORMON.....
I actually don't even like it much when she tells people that I'm a "weight lifter" because I don't think I'm qualified for that description yet -
omo - call me what you will.... I love kids.
I was more joking, that's something my paternal grandparent's (think judgmental protestants) always say if someone has more than 2 kids, or as they would say, "their share". However, Boise does scream Mormon. Not that that's bad in itself: I don't want to be judged for being gay, so I don't judge someone until they've proven they have judged me.

As for being called a weightlifter, you are one! Do you lift weights regularly? If yes, then you are a weightlifter.
  #8   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 10th, 2005, 07:30 PM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
I think EJ's true nickname ought to be:

Muscle Otter!

xoxo

richard
  #9   Add to musclesed's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:01 PM

musclesed is on a distinguished road
neighbors

ej - great story... i WISH you were one of my neighbors...
speaking of neighbors... i was walking around my block the other night with another neighbor, checking out the new spring arrivals..and met some new neighbors. one of the first things the husband said as he grabbed my arm "damn, where were you last week when i was moving in my fridge? with those arms you would of save me a lot of back ache!"

my neighbor i was walking with commented on how when they need things moved he always calls me... i laughed it off, but it felt good...

btw...his wife was staring me down the whole time!

later!
  #10   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:12 AM

ethernet_jock
LMFAO.... sweeet....

I love it when people say stuff like that to me.... but I can only imagine how much more attention you get with those 18" guns...

I wish I was your neighbor too

RPJ - always too kind.... Some day soon I'll be worthy of that title!!

Brent - you're right, as always.... I guess that qualifies me as an official "weight lifter" IE someone who lifts weights regularly. I just - want people to notice me for being strong and large-looking FIRST.... then I can tell them why. make any sense?

Thanks!!
  #11   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 11th, 2005, 07:31 PM

"But 'cha are Blanch! Ya' are!"

Quote:
LMFAO.... sweeet....
Brent - you're right, as always.... I guess that qualifies me as an official "weight lifter" IE someone who lifts weights regularly. I just - want people to notice me for being strong and large-looking FIRST.... then I can tell them why. make any sense?

Thanks!!
Um, Chris, your guns are plenty big for people to notice, and I think it's pretty obvious how you got that way... People just want someone else to approach the subject, so then it's safe for them to mention. Just a thought.
  #12   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 12th, 2005, 12:37 PM

ethernet_jock
well.....

damn.... you know.... you have a really great way of putting things sometimes. I hate/love that about you.

I do, however, disagree that a slight over 16" is anywhere close to "big enough for someone to notice and understand to be a result from working out".... but that's my own personal issue I guess.

It just doesn't look all that big on 6'4" 250... anyway... IMHO...

Thanks again - as always!
  #13   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 13th, 2005, 03:04 AM

Aren't most guys arms about 13" or so? And isn't 16 > 13?
  #14   Add to muscle_mastah's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 13th, 2005, 02:00 PM

muscle_mastah is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to muscle_mastah
I'm certainly hoping people start noticing when I add another inch to my arms and they finally stretch the tape to 16" but somehow, I think it's gonna be after 2" or 3" more.
  #15   Add to hoosierlifter's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 13th, 2005, 04:15 PM

hoosierlifter is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to hoosierlifter
My arms are 17" at 6'2" 230# and that's the one thing that people comment on the most. How huge my arms are, yet I think they're not big enough yet.
  #16   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 13th, 2005, 04:18 PM

Well I know that people started to notice my arms around the 15" mark, but that's just me.
  #17   Add to musclesed's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 13th, 2005, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent
Well I know that people started to notice my arms around the 15" mark, but that's just me.

hey brent/ej... i just found my tape and i've hit the 18.5" mark...
but i really don't feel my arms look that big... i guess it's just perspective ;-)

just thought i'd let u know... it's a milestone

i think guys with bigger peaks tend to have arms that look bigger... i feel my arms just look thick... but also, guys with awsome tris also appear bigger.... don't u think?
  #18   Add to muscle_mastah's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 13th, 2005, 06:46 PM

muscle_mastah is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to muscle_mastah
Props to you musclesed on reaching that milestone. 18.5 is impressive. I also agree with you on the triceps comment. A lot of the guys I've seen who look like they have huge arms in the relax position seem to have large tricep mass.
  #19   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 13th, 2005, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclesed
hey brent/ej... i just found my tape and i've hit the 18.5" mark...
but i really don't feel my arms look that big... i guess it's just perspective ;-)

just thought i'd let u know... it's a milestone

i think guys with bigger peaks tend to have arms that look bigger... i feel my arms just look thick... but also, guys with awsome tris also appear bigger.... don't u think?
Yes, of course I agree. I ALWAYS agree with guys who's arms are a good half inch bigger than mine! Seriously, I really do agree with that point because the tricep is a bigger muscle. It doesn't have the showy peak that the bicep does, but it has more mass, and that strains the sleeves, and looks very impressive. Congratulations on your milestone there big guy! I hope we all will hit many more milestones together!
  #20   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 16th, 2005, 01:56 PM

ethernet_jock
damn... 18.5 is VERY impressive! Right on bro!

I'm not so obsessed with the "peak" really as I am the relaxed size and shape. Obviously when I'm measuring size, I'm flexing... but most people don't see my arms in the flexed state. I've have more attention paid to my arms since I started learning how to really work my tris than I ever had before - so I COMPLETELY agree that triceps that stretch the sleeve while arms are swinging at your side are the BEST.

Brent - while 16 > 13... and 13" is supposedly average. Somehow I only see guys who appear to have bigger arms than I have walking around. The weird part is that when I look closer I realize that more than half the guys who I THINK have bigger arms than I have are actually smaller in total size. My mind hurting my own ego again - I've absolutely got to stop doing that.

Thanks!

Interestingly enough the "dad" came home this last weekend - the dad of the kid for the new neighbors behind me. You know... the HUGE kid. Dad wasn't all that impressive after all when I viewed him from a distance... maybe 5'7" and 180lbs of mostly fat. Too bad - I was hoping for a major stud considering the kid. Maybe we'll meet some day and he'll think "studly" of me instead... who knows.
  #21   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 17th, 2005, 11:23 AM

Quote:
damn... 18.5 is VERY impressive! Right on bro!
Yes 18.5" is awesome. BIG congrats!!!

Quote:
I'm not so obsessed with the "peak" really as I am the relaxed size and shape. Obviously when I'm measuring size, I'm flexing... but most people don't see my arms in the flexed state.
Great point. I'll stop obsessing about improving the peak, and continue to work on the whole thing.

Quote:
I COMPLETELY agree that triceps that stretch the sleeve while arms are swinging at your side are the BEST.
Yep

Quote:

Brent - while 16 > 13... and 13" is supposedly average. Somehow I only see guys who appear to have bigger arms than I have walking around.
I think that's because you notice them. You want to see guys with bigger arms than yours, so your mind either selectively notices them, or makes their arms look bigger than they are for your pleasure.
  #22   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 17th, 2005, 12:18 PM

ethernet_jock
Quote:
I think that's because you notice them. You want to see guys with bigger arms than yours, so your mind either selectively notices them, or makes their arms look bigger than they are for your pleasure.
damn you! that sounds like something my wife would say.

Did you go to the same school of male psychology?
  #23   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 17th, 2005, 01:03 PM

Quote:
damn you! that sounds like something my wife would say.

Did you go to the same school of male psychology?
Yeah, it's called Life-U.
  #24   Add to musclesed's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 7th, 2005, 08:26 PM

neighbors

well... it was a hot one today... i had on a cotton short sleeve shirt [button front] which i kept on even after i got home and changed into my shorts...

as i was doing some watering and general yard maintenance, a new neighbor was walking down the street... i was down by the sidewalk and i glanced up and said hi... and he introduced himself... and i said hi... we talked about the long winter and how it was so hot already...

he and his family moved in a few months ago...we started talking crap, a little about the sports teams and he mentions... you must of played football or something in school... i said no, i just workout to stay in shape... and he said... i was wondering if there was a good gym around here.... i said yeah, at the nearby rec center... he then at one point grabs my arm by my bicep and said... u must be up there a lot with arms this big... and he gave it a good squeeze....

it was strange... when he started to squeeze i automatically flexed... not up into a full frontal bicep, but while it was down... it was sorta surreal... it happened quick, but he copped a good feel that's for sure..

i explained i work out everyday, blah, blah, blah, then the conversation turned to having time to workout and how he traveled a lot and so on....

it was a wild day/evening... with seeing the muscle dude at the gas station [see my post in muscle sightings] and this..... it must have been the shirt...

peace out...
  #25   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 8th, 2005, 11:04 AM

ethernet_jock
18" guns?! Give yourself some credit!

It had nothing to do with the shirt.... it had EVERYTHING to do with YOU!

Incidentally I find myself doing that too... if somone grabs my arm to feel I sort-of half flex instinctively... it's almost like I'm worried they'll think I'm a pussy if I don't give it some size... then I end up wishing I'd had the opportunity to flex completely afterward. What a great compliment he gave you anyway!!
  #26   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 8th, 2005, 05:09 PM

I have yet to have a stranger grab my arm. Is this a strange mid-western mating ritual thing we don't have out west?
  #27   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 9th, 2005, 07:29 AM

ethernet_jock
never a stranger, but I can think about 6 co-workers over the last 8 months since I started this new job...... some male, some female. Some obvious and intentional, some more often like a loving pat on the shoulder that turns into a bicep grope...

always makes me giggle inside.

#28   Add to musclesed's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 9th, 2005, 08:24 PM

brent... i know... it's strange... good but strange.
the only thing is, is that when i have the urge to do it to a big guy, i chicken out...
silly - i know.

i was just at the copier today at work, and a woman i work with patted me on the shoulder and then proceeded to say... damn, you're solid... your like really hard....
made me feel good...can't deny that!

be good!
  #29   Add to Minotaur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 10th, 2005, 06:47 AM
Muscled Chub Club

Minotaur is on a distinguished road
I can't recall a stranger ever doing it, just people I work with or associate with. A few guys at work have done it and been surprised at the hardness and size. A woman who works for a company that hosted a user conference I attended made a comment. It was a meet and greet on the first night of the conference and a few people were standing around talking about the hotel's fitness center. The woman felt my shoulder and said in a cooing tone "Mmm looks like you work out too".

Dorothy: You really haven't grasped the concept of this gay thing yet, have you?

Blanche: There must be homosexuals who date women.

Sophia: Yeah, they're called lesbians.
  #30   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 11th, 2005, 09:18 PM

ottomun6
Send a message via Yahoo to ottomun6
I have had a couple of strangers grab my arms, but it was only after we were getting familiar with each other. The freshest one on my mind was a guy with really beefy pecs (about 5'7"or 8" at 185lbs) complimented my arms and I complimented his pecs, the next thing I know he says he just has to grab my arms so I said sure if I can grab those big pecs! Lately I have noticed that co-workers tend to be a little "grabby-feely" at times

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options