Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Off-Topic > Main Off-Topic Board
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 13th, 2005, 06:05 AM

CelticMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
If there are any miltary base members here, you might want to read this

NBC: 30 military bases to be listed for closure

List coming Friday, changes due to shift from Cold War to war on terror

WASHINGTON - The Pentagon will recommend Friday that 30 military bases in the United States be closed to save money and to better suit defense needs, military sources tell NBC News.

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld on Thursday tried to assure wary communities that the number will be less severe than expected, saying he had scaled back his recommendations because the military had less surplus space than once estimated.

He predicted that his list of closures and realignments, if approved, would result in a net savings to the government of $48.8 billion over 20 years. That figure takes into account a recurring annual savings of $5.5 billion, partly offset by billions in closure expenses.

Previous estimates of savings from base closings have proven to be overly optimistic, although the Pentagon says it has recorded a net gain of about $18 billion from four previous rounds. Environmental cleanup is one of the biggest upfront costs.

More than two years in the making and wrapped in strict secrecy, the Rumsfeld recommendations on which of the Pentagon’s 425 domestic bases to close, shrink or expand are scheduled to be delivered Friday morning to a congressionally chartered commission.

He is expected to recommend that dozens of Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps bases across the country be closed or realigned.

The commission will hold public hearings before presenting its recommendations to President Bush by Sept. 8.

At a Pentagon news conference, Rumsfeld said that domestic bases have 5 percent to 10 percent more space than they need. That contrasts with earlier estimates of 20 percent to 25 percent.

“The department is recommending fewer major base closures than had earlier been anticipated, due in part to the return of tens of thousands of troops through our global posture review and also due to decisions to reduce lease space by moving activities from leased space into (government) owned facilities,” he said.

As part of that posture review, some 70,000 U.S. troops and nearly 100,000 dependents will be departing bases in Europe for U.S. military installations in the continental United States.

Rumsfeld said the military has so many pressing needs, including properly equipping its forces and reducing the stresses imposed by wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, that it must economize where possible.

Loren Thompson, a military analyst with the Lexington Institute, noted that a net savings of $2.4 billion a year — $48 billion divided by 20 years — is the equivalent of cutting one major weapons program.

“The big story here is not going to be saving money. The big story is going to be preparing the force for future threats by moving it to more logical locations,” Thompson said.

He predicted forces will move to the West Coast from the East since threats in Europe have been replaced by concerns emerging from across the Pacific. In addition, more forces could move south, where land is cheaper than in the Northeast.

Rumsfeld said the Pentagon stands ready to help ease the negative impact of base closings on communities that have long supported the military.

Rumsfeld was joined at the news conference by the chiefs of the Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Air Force, who all said the base-closing process would help their services.

“It’s a necessary step to improve the war-fighting capability of the joint force,” said Gen. Richard Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
  #2   Add to Pagemaster_B's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 13th, 2005, 10:57 PM

Pagemaster_B is on a distinguished road
I've seen the list of closures. I was hoping for the closing of Ft Leonardwood, Missiouri--that place is dump! No such luck. My dad was stationed there while in the Air Force because he was getting his masters through University of Missiouri (or was it Missiouri State?). My parents where more excited that I was going to Ft. Leonardwood for Basic than the fact that I had signed up for the Army.

Most of the closures seemed to be connected to reserves and Guard. Doesn't seem like a bright idea--where are they going to train on drill weekend? Fortunately Oregon wasn't hit with any closures, but the Vancouver Barracks (just on the other side of the Columbia River from Portland) will be a sore spot for a few people around the area. I know a few people who drill out of there.

Keep in mind that this is a proposed list, so it is subject to change. It makes me wonder what the post commanders are thinking about these closures, and how much are they willing to fight to keep the instillations open. Local business and towns that thrive off military bases will also be hard pressed.

I also wonder what will become of the property once the bases close. Ft Stevens and Ft Columbia, artillery batteries at the mouth of the Columbia River, have become historical sites. Umatillia Chemical Depot (where I spent a lousy year guarding) will revert back to Indian hands once all the chemcial weapons are destroyed. So what will happen to the others? I've heard some have been abandoned and left to rot, and I've also heard of private companies purchasing surplused military instillations and converting them to research facilities. Don't know the truthfulness of it, but I do like the latter, it's great story fodder!

It will be interesting to watch happens.
  #3   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 13th, 2005, 11:52 PM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
Why is it that every time there is a Bush in the White House, a bunch of bases get closed, and the military shrinks. Republicans say the the Democrats are antimilitary, but I think that's a bigger lie than Republicans are good for the economy. Just a thought.

Also, I think Oregon was saved from the list because their is such a small presence there. I mean much of the coast-line from San Francisco, to Seattle is virtually unprotected. If I were a crazy megalomaniac dictator bent on invading the US, I think I'd aim for the Southern Oregon coast-line. I mean do you think the Rouge River Coast Guard would be much of a fight?
  #4   Add to Pagemaster_B's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 14th, 2005, 09:51 PM

I've been rafting on the Rouge River--it's not a boat friendly river like the Columbia. All the Rouge River Coast Guard does is fish people out the water. (If you want to know how bad the Rouge River is, watch the movie "The River Wild".) However, I do see your point about the West Coast, Brent. Ft Stevens in Astoria was shelled by a Japanese sub during WWII, yet they shut it down. I still believe that the Columbia River is a strategic place to hold for an assault on the western US.

As for some of the streamlining, I'm not too surprised. I've been watching over the past few years of shifiting jobs throughout the military. Combat necessary MOS (Miltary Occupation Skills) are being moved from Guard and reserves to active duty. Some less needed MOS are going to Guard and Reserves. And some of the non-combat MOS are going to civilian contractors. So some shifting of bases would not be all that far behind. I'm just surprised by how much it's changing. I understand what they are trying to do, but I don't necessarily agree with how they're doing it.

And just who is better for the economy? Republicans are snobs and Democrats are whiners, so I have to say neither. Think about it. "Con" is the opposite of "pro" so that means the opposite of "progress" would have to be "Congress".

(I know, Republicans have a tendency to be nicer to the military, but there are days when I wonder . . .)
  #5   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 14th, 2005, 10:45 PM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagemaster_B
And just who is better for the economy? Republicans are snobs and Democrats are whiners, so I have to say neither.
(I know, Republicans have a tendency to be nicer to the military, but there are days when I wonder . . .)
When have the Democrats been whiners? I've never seen that outside of Fox News' propaganda machine. It's a fact that the economy has grown dramatically under every Democratic president (except Carter) during the 20th century. It has gone into recession under nearly every Republican administration. Get the GDP numbers, and prove it for yourself.

What have Republicans done for the military? Ever? The only good thing they've done is propagate homophobia in the ranks, and killed lots of members with botched battle plans, and weak coalitions. Just like when 4 planes were hijacked on 9-11-01, did U-turns into restricted US air-space, and they did NOTHING TO STOP ANY OF THEM!!! All these planes were off course for over an hour and a half, and all the Bush administration did was put But in front of TV cameras, then charge $150 each for photos of the monkey-in-chief. Don't ever delude yourself into thinking that the Republicans have any issues ordering you to a senseless death.
  #6   Add to Pagemaster_B's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 15th, 2005, 08:00 PM

I apologize for stirring the poltical pot here. I keep forgetting that people sometimes dislike my sarcastic sense of humor. And I always run into trouble when I start poking fun at politics. I will admit I do tend to be harsher on Democrats. I come from a more conserative background, so at times liberals can rub me the wrong way. I try to keep an open mind and I know that sometimes its not very open at all.

I do not delude myself that anyone would have issues ordering me to a senseless death. It will always be senseless to me because there will always be something I regret not doing in my life. Life is too short to do everything. I knew exactly what I was getting into when I signed up for the military--bullshit and all.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options