The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Diet & Nutrition
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Diet & Nutrition What you need to eat in order to grow.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to redwolf64's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 25th, 2005, 05:20 PM

redwolf64
Send a message via AIM to redwolf64 Send a message via Yahoo to redwolf64
food advice

Hey all --

I'm getting back to the gym after a few months away. Been working on my eating habits over the past couple of years and doing just okay.

Talked with my doc and he suggested eating several very small meals through the day; that helped shed some of the fat.

Would like to get the body fat down more.

I'm 5'6" and 190; generally, when I lift, I'll loose some fat, but not much.

Looking for suggestions on a more rigerious diet that might concentrate on getting the fat levels down. The logisitical requirements:

-don't have much time to prepare food
-usually eat a little something in the morning when i get up
-take something with me to work; gerallly eat a little something at 10:00, noon and 3:00, then something when i get home
-have to be able to take food to work non-refrigerated
-needs to be simple, simple, simple

Don't ask me what I'm eating now; it varies quite a bit. Try to keep the calories and fat down as much as I can, but having trouble finding specific things to buy and keep in stock to be consistent.

My workouts aren't going to be too intense too begin with, so I imagine that something like a bb would eat before a contest, when they're shedding fat, wouldn't work for me because of the caloric content.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:25 PM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
Um, with your requirements, you have it narrowed down to fast-food, which will not help! Seriously, try a container of salad, or some veggies. Veggies are healthy, simple/no prep, and store well. A protein shake (lo-cal) with ice in a thermos is another option.
  #3   Add to redwolf64's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:28 PM

redwolf64
some folks are suggesting that a high protein/low carb thing might work for me for a few weeks, sort of like atkins - what do you think?
  #4   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:29 PM

Most people I've known that did Atkins lost weight quickly, then gained significantly more very quickly. A few even had memory issues (my theory is that since the brain uses glucose, which is a carb, you are basically starving it.) So I have a low opinion of it. However, I have never tried it myself since I am a strict vegetarian. I simply don't want animals to die for my vanity. That's me, but you have to do what is right for you, and your body. For example, if you are diabetic, or pre-diabetic, then high protein, low carbs will help keep your blood sugar stable. As I say, it's what's right for you.

I also thought of a couple more items. Hard boiled eggs are high protein, easy to make, and easy to carry. Plus they are more of an abortion that murder, so ethically I have no issues with them (as long as they come for cage-free chickens). Also, they make small packs of flavored soy milk. Lots of protein, great flavor, and they keep forever, unrefrigerated!
  #5   Add to biguglymofo's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 27th, 2005, 10:28 AM

biguglymofo
I don't like atkins either, mainly because of the high unrestricted fat content. I like a diet with a 60 20 20 macronutrient breakdown....60% protein, 20% carbs, 20% fat. I limit my carbs to low glycemic carbs and use 'healthier' fats....olive oil, fish oil caps, flax. A good way of prepping your food is to make it on the weekends and store it or freeze it for the week. It may take some initial prep time but you ultimately end up saving more time than going and eating out, plus you have complete control over your food. Healthy low GI carbs include wheat, oatmeal, brown rice, veggies, strawberries, apples, and beans. You can pretty much add in any green veggie without much worry to caloric impact. If you can't get your protein in, add a whey shake and an apple. I'd actually make 2 of your meals whey shakes. Give it a try and let us know how things go.
  #6   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 27th, 2005, 05:45 PM

I actually like the 60, 20, 20 idea. My other issue with Atkins is that I don't think it is at all health to totally eliminate any major nutrient, and carbs are a MAJOR nutrient. Every cell in your body requires carbs to function properly, so you can't demand nearly as much of your body if you don't give it a healthy supply. Just remember to burn those carbs, and the fat!

I'd also suggest having more carbs around mid-day (when you are burning them) and getting more Atkinsesque at night.
  #7   Add to redwolf64's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 28th, 2005, 07:03 AM

redwolf64
Thanks guys...this gives me some ideas to start working with.
  #8   Add to wbhunk's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 31st, 2005, 11:36 PM

wbhunk is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to wbhunk Send a message via Yahoo to wbhunk
Agreed. One of the things I've found that helps ME the most is setting both a caloric and a protein threshold, where you try to hit a certain number of grams of protein a day while staying within a certain calorie limit, i.e. 200g protein in 3000 calories.

This will drive you towards whey powder....LOL....but it honestly is one of the best foods you can use, especially for subdividing smaller meals. The version I use packs 48g into about 300 calories and you can mix it anywhere you have water. I keep it in my desk at work and use it for the number 2, 4, and 6 meals of the day.

One more suggestion.....try to eat a very limited number of carbs after 6 PM. I usually have supper before then, then use whey powder for my evening "ice cream".

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options