The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to doctorboi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 29th, 2005, 01:20 PM

doctorboi is on a distinguished road
advice for a n00b...

Hey everyone, wow, first Id like to say how cool it is to find a place like this .... I had no idea that other guys also feel the sexual drive to get bigger!

Well first off, Id like to tell you a little about myself; I am 18 years old, 6"5, and 2 years ago I weighed 259 pounds in pretty much fat. I had no idea how I got that chunky, but yeah.. shit happens.

I realised how fat I'd got when someone showed me a photo of myself.. I realised I needed to do something, well after a balanced lower carbohydrate eating plan and moderate (albiet gymless) excercise, I am now 189 pounds.. but GASP.. after all the fat melted away.. I realised that my muscles (which I hoped would magically be defined after such a weight loss) look real scrawny, and I having no shoulders doesn't help. it was depressing me as I felt I needed a bigger physique to fulfill my sexual fantasies with other big guys, aswell as feel fucking hot.

So, about a month ago I joined the gym. Well, I have been going 5 days a week, and doing a decent hour and a half of cardio to flatten out that stomach, and I spend the next 30 mins going from machine to machine - still not that confident in using free weights without my trainer...

Well now a month later I notice my arms are starting to get real big, and a sexual encounter with a complete stranger (who was very hot and pretty big > ) in the bathroom of a BOOKSTORE!! has really boosted my confidence.

The problem I have right now, is that my personal trainer... costs alot (around $60 per session) and I really don't think he's very helpfull. Its been 4 sessions and he still hasn't given me a proper plan of what weight machines/free weights I should use on what days.. he also seems pretty distracted, and gets impatient when I don't understand things. and also I'm scared I won't reach my goal... which he says is possible.

SO guys, do you think it's possible to get a decent level of muscle definition/growth by september? (without juice) I say september because I am meeting the guy of my dreams again then.. and wan't to look real impressive. And If so, what kind of machines, weights should I be using on what days? what muscle groups do I need to focus on, on what days?

I apologise for the essay, just really really need some quality advice from like minded guys...
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 29th, 2005, 03:33 PM

optimusx is on a distinguished road
Well congrats on deciding to make the change, that's the first important step. The second thing you need to do is read, read, read. There are tons of boards that have stickies all over the place about beg/int/adv training (wannabebigforums.com, http://67.18.108.244//forumdisplay.php?f=3 , http://www.professionalmuscle.com/fo...isplay.php?f=6 ) I'd suggest the professionalmuscle site first. The link here sends you to the area to post questions concerning newbie lifters. IFBB Pros respond to the question you post... so I figure that might be a great place to get a fairly informed answer. At promuscle there is a sticky called "Growth for beginners" you might want to read that.

As far as the personal trainer, if he's not to your liking talk to him first. Just basically say that you feel that he's often distracted when you're in session with him. If he says "get over it" just reply with "you're fired <insert Trump (trademarked) hand sign>" There are plenty of other trainers in most areas. The one thing you have to realize is that all trainers were not created equal (if they were then it wouldn't matter who you used).

The only real advice this one can give is get your diet in order, work out smarter and always be open for critiques from those in the gym that have a clue.

Scott
  #3   Add to bigbearny's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 29th, 2005, 06:34 PM

bigbearny
Send a message via Yahoo to bigbearny
Talking

As another good source of beginner advice try this site.. Discuss Bodybuilding
They were very nice and helpfull to me when i was looking for starting info on diet and workouts..
  #4   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 30th, 2005, 10:38 AM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
$60/session sounds like a LOT to pay. Especially if he isn't giving you workouts for in between sessions to get the most out of your investment. I think the rest of Scott's advice is great, and he's an amazing guy, but I'd fire this guy right off. I guess that's because I'm poor & have no sympathy for people that over charge for inept behavior. Your gym might have more affordable trainers on site that cost less. If someone is distracted, or not understanding, call them on it IMMEDIATELY. You are the customer, and as someone that works in customer service I can say, it is your ass that he/she should be kissing. In looking for a new trainer, look for someone that has a similar body type to you (very tall).

As a side note, whenever a trainer wants to show someone a piece of equipment, I always let them break in. They have very limited time with their client, and I'd appreciate it if I were the client. Also, no matter how big/advanced you get, always remember how you feel now, and always be welcoming of new guys.
  #5   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 31st, 2005, 08:54 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Trainers

I used a trainer to show me form and exercises.
She was certified, and pricey ($65/hour) but focused and very much worth it. I bought a package of 24 sessions, and that covered pretty much everything and gave me the information/understanding to modify and design my own routines after a while.

Ultimately, it boils down to you and your body and what works for you.

She knew nothing about supplements (non steroidal) and would not address that due to liability issues. (Afraid it would affect her certification and insurance if she tried to give nutritional advice in an area where she was not qualified.)

She was up front about it, so I can't really complain. She went over the basics of nutrition: balance from each of the food groups, portion control, time of day when you eat, etc. etc.

Re: Supplements, I learned that from reading and from guys in the gym that were my height, had been lifting for a while, and who weren't into the pharmaceuticals. Since I don't intend to ever compete, I don't want/need any of that stuff!

Good luck! It sounds like you are off to a good start!

Mdlftr
  #6   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 31st, 2005, 11:07 PM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
So ironically my husband Rob & I decided to switch from 24 Hours, to Las Vegas Athletic Clubs (as seen in CSI episodes). My membership includes 3 free training sessions, plus one each month, and regular body composition testing, all for less than my monthly dues at 24 Hours. Moral: it pays to shop around! So I too will get a trainer now!!!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options