Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 2nd, 2005, 07:34 AM
Muscle Czar

Corwin has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to Corwin Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin
More self-promotion

I guess what's cool for big-Scott is cool for Li'l-Scott... My company's (fitness) product. What I do is take the data from the computer and develop the algorithms that make sense of it. I am the lead algorithms person on the Apex product, though.

"Stand firm for what you believe in until or unless logic or experience prove you wrong. Remember, when the emperor looks naked the emperor is naked. The truth and a lie are not sort of the same thing. And there's no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza." Daria
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 2nd, 2005, 10:12 AM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
Corwin, I remember you talking about this, and wanted to get one. However, I just gave up my membership to 24 Hour Fitness, so the chances are looking slim. Especialy with this closing bit:
Quote:
The Bodybugg may be wireless, but there are strings attached: it will be sold only as part of a package of training sessions at fitness centers. Dr. Teller estimates that the device and a year's software analysis will add about $300 to the cost of most programs. IAN AUSTEN
In fact, that's the ONLY regret I have about switching, and I couldn't afford 24 Hour's rates.
  #3   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 2nd, 2005, 12:29 PM
Muscle Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent
Corwin, I remember you talking about this, and wanted to get one. However, I just gave up my membership to 24 Hour Fitness, so the chances are looking slim. Especialy with this closing bit:

In fact, that's the ONLY regret I have about switching, and I couldn't afford 24 Hour's rates.
I don't do marketing, but I know you can get the system standalone. Check out http://www.bodybugg.com and see what it has to say.

"Stand firm for what you believe in until or unless logic or experience prove you wrong. Remember, when the emperor looks naked the emperor is naked. The truth and a lie are not sort of the same thing. And there's no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza." Daria
  #4   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 3rd, 2005, 08:03 AM

Thank you. I just sent them an email.
  #5   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 3rd, 2005, 01:28 PM
Muscle Czar

with a snicker

I have to admit that it was with a snicker that I sent this link out to All Staff at my company...

I've told them -- make it a black leather armband and gay guys will go crazy for it.

#6   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 3rd, 2005, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin
I've told them -- make it a black leather armband and gay guys will go crazy for it.
Well it's a cute article, but now I want to wait for the improved bugg. Also, black is so 1990's. My armbands are all iPod white. However, remember that brown has become the new black...
  #7   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 3rd, 2005, 08:32 PM

optimusx is on a distinguished road
This product looks pretty interesting when you consider that it's taking a different approach to getting it's data. The engineer in me kinda would love to get a look at some of the algorithems running this thing (though I'll never get the chance). From reading the article(s) it looks like it reads from bodyheat/ electrical conductivity. I have to wonder though how it compensates for variations of those two cofactors. I mean, do two people sweat the same amount with the same level of conductivity for the same amount of calories burned? I know that people's heat disposition can vary greatly based on sex/type/environment.

Like I said, definetly an intriguing product. Brent, if you find out that it's available directly to the consumer let us know. I can feel a few hundred $$$ trying to burn a whole in my pocket right now

Scott
  #8   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 3rd, 2005, 08:48 PM
Muscle Czar

answering Big Scott's post

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusx
This product looks pretty interesting when you consider that it's taking a different approach to getting it's data. The engineer in me kinda would love to get a look at some of the algorithems running this thing (though I'll never get the chance).
That depends.... what's in it for me

Quote:
From reading the article(s) it looks like it reads from bodyheat/ electrical conductivity. I have to wonder though how it compensates for variations of those two cofactors. I mean, do two people sweat the same amount with the same level of conductivity for the same amount of calories burned? I know that people's heat disposition can vary greatly based on sex/type/environment.
It isn't about two people, it is about lots of people and then looking at the way an average population behaves. As you say, men and women differ. Age groups differ. Fat people differ from athletes. But, taking a statistical approach, you can compensate for the differences and come up with a good approximation.

The gold standard for energy expenditure in a free-living environment is doubly-labeled water. We actually have really good experimental data that shows the device is very accurate compared to that metric. The silver standard is metabolic cart, and we also compare very accurately to that. I think I've posted the stats here on both of these, but I can dig them out again on Monday if you're really interested. Or just go to http://www.bodymedia.com and look at our white papers. I think they are up to date.

As for the algorithms, they are complex mixtures of regressions, bayes networks and various classifiers (think Machine Learning).

Quote:
Like I said, definetly an intriguing product. Brent, if you find out that it's available directly to the consumer let us know. I can feel a few hundred $$$ trying to burn a whole in my pocket right now

Scott
What the articles don't say (since they concentrate on weight loss) is that the product also works for people trying to gain muscle too.

Weight change equals caloric intake minus energy expenditure. If you eat more than you burn, you gain weight (sometimes fat). If you eat less than you burn, you lose weight. Weight change is a function of muscle and body fat. You can measure weight change (a scale) and body fat (calipers, etc), so you can also measure lean body mass. The device gives you a reading of energy expenditure. Given the math above, we can calculate caloric intake (making assumptions for how many calories there are in burning fat or gaining muscle). So, the system works whether you want to lose fat or gain muscle or both.

Little Scott

#9   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 4th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Muscle Czar

New I posted this before...

In a recently published study (actually, I think it was an abstract) from the University of Montreal that tested our device in a free-living environment (not a lab, I have those results too) using doubly labeled water (DLW)(*), they found a high correlation between subjects, no significant difference beween the armband and DLW for physical activity and a small difference for all of free living (p < 0.01). They also found that the armband seemed to measure the thermic effect of food. The also found no significant difference between DLW and the armband in a small sample of Type II Diabetics.

(*) DLW is heavy water and is considered the 'gold standard' to measure caloric burn.

I also can post other results from other studies, if you're interested. They are all published...

#10   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 6th, 2005, 09:03 AM

Please be sure that when you introduce the arm-bands, that they fit arms over 17 inches as well. My iPod armband only fits 12-17" arms. Needless to say, it'd the only Apple product I've been dissatisfied with. I guess I should count my blessing that having bought their computers for decades now, that a $29 armband is the only flop I've had. However, what guys do you expect to buy armband? Gym guys, or nongym guys?
  #11   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 6th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Muscle Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent
Please be sure that when you introduce the arm-bands, that they fit arms over 17 inches as well. ...However, what guys do you expect to buy armband? Gym guys, or nongym guys?
The armband comes with two straps, and can accomidate arms larger than 17 inches. (I think the largest we had was 29 inches, but that wasn't a very muscular arm -- quite the opposite in fact)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options