The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences Got a friend who went from geek to stud? (Or was that YOU who got huge?) Share your real-life muscle growth experiences.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to James35's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 29th, 2005, 05:25 PM

James35
Unusual experience involving bodybuilding and golf

I?ve been playing golf regularly since I was 17, but not very much since I started serious weight lifting a few years ago. My game is so bad now that I started taking golf lessons. At my first lesson last week, the instructor noted that he always starts out his students by evaluating their equipment and making sure it fits their body and swing style.

The instructor told me that because my chest was so big, I needed clubs that were significantly longer than the standard length clubs I have. The extra length would change the angle of the club relative to my body so that I could get my arms past my chest for a proper swing. He called over another instructor and they discussed exactly how long my clubs should be in order to fit my swing around my pecs. Then they each described instances in the past where they had worked with huge bodybuilders and what it took to improve their swings. Their conclusion was that I needed clubs almost 2 inches longer than what I have.

All this talk about my big pecs and comparisons to huge bodybuilders did make me temporarily forget that I was there because my golf game totally sucks. I mention this story here because a) it was a fun ego boost and b) before I invest a lot of money in a drastic change to my current clubs, I?d like to get a second opinion. I know that your clubs should be custom fitted to you swing style and your height, but I have not heard that the size of your chest or arms are a factor.

Guys - any golfers here? Any thoughts or similar experiences?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 29th, 2005, 09:01 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
Weeeelllll...

I know a sports commentator made a crack a few years ago about how women could never be great golfers because their boobs got in the way.Got him into BIG trouble!
  #3   Add to martinp13's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 29th, 2005, 10:57 PM

martinp13 is on a distinguished road
You really look HUGE in that profile picture? How tall, and what are your stats? They might be right... when you address the ball, can you see it?
  #4   Add to traveller's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 29th, 2005, 11:31 PM

traveller
Last time I took golf lessons (last century) the instructor mentioned my chest affected my swing in addition to my limited range of motion when try to twist my torso in the upswing. He didn't offer much advice other than to work on torso stretching movements to improve my range of motion. I played golf after college when I worked in a marketing department where everyone seemed to golf. I then stopped playing some years later because my golf buddies (all straight) got married one by one; their wives all thought golf cut into their weekend time together.

One thought that crossed my mind is to talk with a female professional golfer who has ample breasts--I don't recall seeing any on television.

Regards,

Traveller
  #5   Add to traveller's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 29th, 2005, 11:32 PM

traveller
Last time I took golf lessons (last century) the instructor mentioned my chest affected my swing in addition to my limited range of motion when trying to twist my torso in the upswing. He didn't offer much advice other than to work on torso stretching movements to improve my range of motion. I played golf after college when I worked in a marketing department where everyone seemed to golf. I then stopped playing some years later because my golf buddies (all straight) got married one by one; their wives all thought golf cut into their weekend time together.

One thought that crossed my mind is to talk with a female professional golfer who has ample breasts--I don't recall seeing any on television.

Regards,

Traveller
  #6   Add to James35's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 30th, 2005, 04:04 AM

James35
Hey thanks martinp, I just updated my avatar. That pic was taken last month when I was at my heaviest - the most muscle mass I have ever had! I'm 5'11" and was close to 225 lbs at that time.
Loved what you said at the end - believe it or not, when I first start to set-up, stand perfectly straight, and haven't bent over yet, I can only just barely see the ball!
James
  #7   Add to benchdude's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 30th, 2005, 11:36 AM

benchdude has disabled reputation
I know this isn't golf-related, but it's a similar situation. when I went to the fair a couple years ago and went on some of the rides, I could only ride the ones that had the lap bars, because the ones with the big harness that comes down over your chest wouldn't lock into place because of my chest size, they would only go down about 2/3 of the way. on one of them I got it to lock but it was so constricting that I couldn't breathe so I had to get off. as I was leaving I laughed as I thought about the whole thing. it was actually a big ego boost, although I was kinda let-down that I didn't get to go on some of the good rides.
  #8   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 30th, 2005, 01:14 PM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
Well, I've never played golf, but one question I'd ask is that if you do invest in new clubs, and you keep growing, how long until you need yet another set? Can you rent them first so you can see if the extra 2 inches will even make much of a difference? Can you buy them used, like on Ebay, so you can affordably replace them from time to time?
  #9   Add to James35's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 30th, 2005, 03:39 PM

James35
Great question, Brent. When the 2nd instructor came over the first thing she said to me was, "So, what are your plans - are you trying to get even bigger?" You are correct that if my chest gets a lot larger then the new clubs wouldn't fit too.

However, the way I see it, I've been seriously lifting now for about 5 years. And I've gained a lot of muscle over that time, but the rate of gain is definitely slowing. I don't think at this point I'd gain that much more even over the next year, at least not enough to make a difference in my clubs.

You are also correct in that I will figure out a way to 'try' the longer clubs before I buy a brand new customized complete set. I will work with the instructors clubs for longer; try out some demo clubs; buy used or buy one or two new custom clubs before I buy a whole set.
  #10   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 30th, 2005, 06:22 PM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
Height / weight / stats, please!

xoxo

richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchdude
I know this isn't golf-related, but it's a similar situation. when I went to the fair a couple years ago and went on some of the rides, I could only ride the ones that had the lap bars, because the ones with the big harness that comes down over your chest wouldn't lock into place because of my chest size, they would only go down about 2/3 of the way. on one of them I got it to lock but it was so constricting that I couldn't breathe so I had to get off. as I was leaving I laughed as I thought about the whole thing. it was actually a big ego boost, although I was kinda let-down that I didn't get to go on some of the good rides.
  #11   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 30th, 2005, 08:25 PM

ottomun6
Send a message via Yahoo to ottomun6
Big muscles and golf

All this talk about golf has sparked a memory about one of my old roomates. He was planning to try out for football but caught a bad flu bug, and lost about 15 lbs (he started about 200lbs at 5'10"). He needed to pack the size back on quickly as the tryouts approched, so he went on a cycle and bulked up from 185lbs to 220lbs. He went out once in a while to play golf and I remember him saying that he had gotten so big that he had a lot of trouble swinging the club properly. One of his golfing buddies (just a slender kid) teased him about getting more and more muscle bound.
I was strictly in awe as I witnessed him literally pack on 1-2 pounds EVERY day for about a month. Not to mention that he had a heavy walk to begin with, and as he got bigger, every step literally shook the smaller items in the room. I still wonder how big he would have gotten if he hadn't become uncomfortable with being muscle bound.
  #12   Add to muscle_mastah's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 1st, 2005, 08:42 PM

muscle_mastah is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to muscle_mastah
Uncomfortable being musclebound! Not possible.

I have found my golf game change a lot over the years. At the start of each year, it's like learning all over as I get use to my body again. The only good news is I can go farther into the rough now.
  #13   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 4th, 2005, 05:14 PM

ottomun6
Send a message via Yahoo to ottomun6
Yeah, but I think what did it for my buddy was the fact that he grew so large so fast that he wasn't prepared for the musclebound feel. He was also complaining about his stretching- he would have his back on the floor and curl his legs and hips up and over, his chest had gotten so big that he couldn't breathe (I guess his pecs were pressing into his chin and throat) Even the bucket seat of his car was bent back at an angle due to his moving around to reach things in the back seat. We took a wizz in the movie restroom and I remember he chuckled about having trouble squeezing into the urinal stall. He was also growing out of much of his wardrobe and gave some of his clothes to me since I was about two sizes smaller than him.
I think he would have continued to grow if it were stretched out over a year long period.
  #14   Add to nolanspice's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 10th, 2005, 09:57 AM

nolanspice is on a distinguished road
This topic is so out of my element. The only golf I play involves windmills.

-j!-
  #15   Add to Minotaur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 10th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Muscled Chub Club

Minotaur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanspice
This topic is so out of my element. The only golf I play involves windmills.

-j!-
I'm only marginally ahead of you. I've played golf (if you want to call it "played") exactly twice in my almost-48 years. Both times were with a friend. I've never played a third time.

Dorothy: You really haven't grasped the concept of this gay thing yet, have you?

Blanche: There must be homosexuals who date women.

Sophia: Yeah, they're called lesbians.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options