You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 9th, 2005, 08:33 PM

ottomun6
Send a message via Yahoo to ottomun6
End of Queer as Folk

I saw the end of the series of Queer as Folk Sunday night. I am a little choked up because it was a homosexual soap opera. I remember when I first saw it, I was momentarily transported temporarily to a gay world where it seemed ok for guys to hold hands.
To tell you the truth, it reminded me of how excited I was as a kid waiting for the new Saturday morning cartoon line-up.
I really loved the characters and the drama they threw at us each week. I am really going to miss the super studs they had in the background (and foreground)
Unfortunately, I missed the first half of the actors farewell show, they mentioned how people wrote in and how the show touched them (the fans) in their own lives. People developed the courage to come out, stand up to bullies, got serious about voting for gay issues and there was a mention that quite a few straight folks are less prejudice because of the show.
Damn, I'm really going to miss that show.
  #2   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 10th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Muscle Czar

Corwin has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to Corwin Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomun6
I saw the end of the series of Queer as Folk Sunday night. I am a little choked up because it was a homosexual soap opera. I remember when I first saw it, I was momentarily transported temporarily to a gay world where it seemed ok for guys to hold hands.
Dude -- Pittsburgh is exactly like this. You need to cross the border more

Quote:
To tell you the truth, it reminded me of how excited I was as a kid waiting for the new Saturday morning cartoon line-up.
I really loved the characters and the drama they threw at us each week. I am really going to miss the super studs they had in the background (and foreground)
Unfortunately, I missed the first half of the actors farewell show, they mentioned how people wrote in and how the show touched them (the fans) in their own lives. People developed the courage to come out, stand up to bullies, got serious about voting for gay issues and there was a mention that quite a few straight folks are less prejudice because of the show.
Damn, I'm really going to miss that show.
I tend to agree with the NY Times on this one -- it was more of a civic duty to watch. The plots never had much depth and little surprise. At least they began to get some of the references right.

As I think I posted, I met Scott Lowell and Michelle Clunie last year during the campaign. I was their tour guide when they came to Pittsburgh to campaign for Kerry. I also briefly met Bobby Gant at the Democratic Convention. Scott and Michelle were really nice and great people. (Bobby Gant was high maintenance, or so I was told). This season, I mostly looked forward to seeing Ted and Melanie and the spoilers that the shared with me when they were visiting here.

"Stand firm for what you believe in until or unless logic or experience prove you wrong. Remember, when the emperor looks naked the emperor is naked. The truth and a lie are not sort of the same thing. And there's no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza." Daria
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #3   Add to muscle_mastah's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 10th, 2005, 07:08 PM

muscle_mastah is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to muscle_mastah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin
Dude -- Pittsburgh is exactly like this. You need to cross the border more
Definitely cross the border...to Toronto where it was filmed.

[/QUOTE]
  #4   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 10th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Muscle Czar

Corwin has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to Corwin Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_mastah
Definitely cross the border...to Toronto where it was filmed.
I have a prior invitation from a certain muscle hottie...

"Stand firm for what you believe in until or unless logic or experience prove you wrong. Remember, when the emperor looks naked the emperor is naked. The truth and a lie are not sort of the same thing. And there's no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza." Daria
  #5   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 12th, 2005, 09:40 PM

ottomun6
Maybe that's were they have been, its pretty straight-laced out here in Ohio . Now it might be a dream come true if there is a 10 percent or more muscle-beefcake in that gay friendly environment. I will definitely have to make an effort to visit Toronto and Pittsburgh.
  #6   Add to hulkmuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 14th, 2005, 07:00 AM
OPA!

hulkmuscle
Send a message via Yahoo to hulkmuscle
I was friends with Peter Paige, who played Emmett, in college. He was a freshman when I was a senior, and we got to be friends through musical theatre class (he also had a major crush on my roommate, but so did everyone else it seemed, including me...that's a story for another time).

In fact, when Peter first moved to New York after college, I ran into him,and hooked him up with the theatre company I was involved with at the time, and he got one of his first acting gigs through them: the brother-in-law in You Can't Take It With You.

I saw him a couple times guest-starring here and there on TV (the last time I ran into him, he said he'd auditioned for Jack on Will & Grace but didn't get it), but when he got the QAF gig, I was really excited for him cause I could say I knew him when. I'm hoping he gets an even better gig from here.

The show wasn't a real favorite of mine; I felt they hit every big-topic issue the first season alone, and I agree that I watched it more out a sense of duty than anything else. The plots and characters were so alternately flimsy, inconsistent or preachy, I stopped watching early last year because I just couldn't take it anymore.

Yesterday in the car, I asked my partner to re-cap the season for me (he still watched it semi-religiously). After ten minutes recounting tales of unnecessary plastic surgery, wayward adopted teenage ex-prostitutes, and obsessed lesbian waitress guest-stars, I told him, "thanks honey, you just saved me ten hours of rolling my eyes."
Just a piece of sky?

The Follies of Greg
  #7   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 17th, 2005, 05:48 PM

ottomun6
I guess I'm the only homo that actually liked watching a gay soap. It kept me entertained even if there were a couple so-so shows. Hulkmuscle, if you happen to bump into Peter Paige, please tell him I loved his performance on the show.
-And I miss all the characters already, almost like some good friends moving away.
  #8   Add to ushersdick's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 23rd, 2005, 04:07 PM
my name's tom

ushersdick is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ushersdick Send a message via MSN to ushersdick Send a message via Yahoo to ushersdick
I just started watching QAF USA last week on TV here in the UK and I love it I have to say It does felt like when the nmew cartoons were shown on TV lol.

Ive just bid for a DVD of the original QAF United Kingdom on eBay too.

Queer As Folk USA Series 4
E4 (Freeview Channel 14, Sky Digital & Cable)
Thursdays 23:10 (this week at 00:10 though)
  #9   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 24th, 2005, 02:16 PM

ottomun6
[QUOTE=ushersdick]I just started watching QAF USA last week on TV here in the UK and I love it I have to say It does felt like when the nmew cartoons were shown on TV lol.
Ive just bid for a DVD of the original QAF United Kingdom on eBay too....
[\QUOTE]
Hey Usher, is the original UK version still running? Are our USA versions pretty much the same episodes as yours?
  #10   Add to ushersdick's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 25th, 2005, 03:19 PM
my name's tom

ushersdick is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ushersdick Send a message via MSN to ushersdick Send a message via Yahoo to ushersdick
Quote:
Hey Usher, is the original UK version still running? Are our USA versions pretty much the same episodes as yours?
Ive only just started watching QAF USA and havent seen muc of the UK version, it was on in about 1998.

QAFUK only ran for two series but was immensly popular, but was more of a drama than a soap opera. I think series one and two mustve been similair to USA.

Anyway its 23:17 here so ill be goin off to watch the next QAF USA soon!!!
  #11   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 29th, 2005, 05:56 PM

ottomun6
I just finished watching Queer as Folk's Goodbye show again (I missed part of it before) And I can say with pride that it was VERY touching.
The interview of the actors, directors truly summed up the whole show and what it was meant to do.
The summation didn't pull any punches, about the audience, the criticizm, or the plain truth of being repetitive.
If you like hearing how people can touch other's lives, it might be worth watching this 30 minute show (if you have Comcast On-Demand).

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options