The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > General
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Add to chitownbber's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 20th, 2012, 03:37 PM

chitownbber is on a distinguished road
The Colorado Tragedy

still trying to absorb this. but i just read a little about the shooter. and im shaking my head.

he is 6 feet 3, good looking, and smart (graduated UC Riverside with honors in neuroscience.).

some people just dont understand how good they have it and all the potential they posess.

we live in a society that places a higher value on tall good looking smart young people. the rest of us schlubs like me are just trying to get by.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 20th, 2012, 03:50 PM

CelticMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownbber View Post
still trying to absorb this. but i just read a little about the shooter. and im shaking my head. he is 6 feet 3, good looking, and smart (graduated UC Riverside with honors in neuroscience.). some people just dont understand how good they have it and all the potential they posess. we live in a society that places a higher value on tall good looking smart young people. the rest of us schlubs like me are just trying to get by.
I had heard on the BBC that he was in fact a drop out from a major US medical school
  #3   Add to dhalden's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 20th, 2012, 06:16 PM

dhalden is on a distinguished road
The facts, as they stand, are this: he was a PhD candidate for a neuroscience program at a college in Denver, Colorado. He had recently withdrawn (for reasons unbeknownst right now), though was still living in Aurora. It is speculated that he bought a ticket for the midnight premiere, took a seat in the front row, exited about twenty minutes into the film, went to his car, geared up, and returned. The mass murder ensued.

He wounded 71 people, killing 12 in the process, and collaborated with police when they arrived to arrest him. That's pretty much all that is known, as police still have multiple investigations (forensic, ballistic, etc.) to undertake. I don't think we'll know the full scope of the story for at least a week or more.

I think I speak for everyone when I say all of our thoughts and/or prayers go out to the victims and their families and friends.
  #4   Add to JeffXeno's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 20th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Jeff Xenobuilder

JeffXeno is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to JeffXeno
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalden View Post
The facts, as they stand, are this: he was a PhD candidate for a neuroscience program at a college in Denver, Colorado. He had recently withdrawn (for reasons unbeknownst right now), though was still living in Aurora. It is speculated that he bought a ticket for the midnight premiere, took a seat in the front row, exited about twenty minutes into the film, went to his car, geared up, and returned. The mass murder ensued.

He wounded 71 people, killing 12 in the process, and collaborated with police when they arrived to arrest him. That's pretty much all that is known, as police still have multiple investigations (forensic, ballistic, etc.) to undertake. I don't think we'll know the full scope of the story for at least a week or more.

I think I speak for everyone when I say all of our thoughts and/or prayers go out to the victims and their families and friends.
This is also what I've read. I stay off of TV news most of the time anyway because it's furstunken. The TV media always turn this type of tragedy into a circus of fools, trying to fill airtime between official updates the opinions Of people who know nothing more than I do.

It is natural for people to want to know why, but even if the autorities find some driving event behind his actions, there is no way that "his why" is going to make sense to any reasonably rational human. Interesting that he was studying neuroscience; maybe he's suspected there was something wrong with his own brain. Also if I recall correctly, and I haven't looked it up, it seems there are a few mental disorder that often present in people in their late teens and early 20s. Seems no matter any real or perceived driving factor, he must be mentally I'll in some significant way... By which I am NOT suggesting he shouldn't be punished.

And just be different, I'm sending my thoughts out into the universe in the hopes that I can prevent the media from further harming those that have been involved in this tragedy.

Jeff

Detailed instructions for posting embedded images and video at The Evolution Forum are available HERE.
  #5   Add to BGryphon18's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 20th, 2012, 08:14 PM
Muscle Worshipper

BGryphon18 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BGryphon18 Send a message via MSN to BGryphon18 Send a message via Yahoo to BGryphon18
Hey all,

I just wanted/needed to take a few minutes to post something here in regards to this:

I live in Aurora only about 4 miles from this theatre and less than 9 blocks from the guy's apartment that he rigged up and has resulted in a partial evacuation of the surrounding area. Thankfully I was not present at the theatre last night (though I had thought about going) nor do I personally know anyone who was there.

I don't really know what to say in regards to this whole thing as I've had the whole gambit of emotions thus far. Relief/happiness at not being there, sadness for those that were, anger for the fact this happened as well as the fact that of everyone I know, family, friends, local or across the country, only 5 people have actively contacted me to see that I'm alright. All day today I was either sleeping or went into work but never got anything after those first couple people. I'm hoping this is just a natural part of the shock of this whole thing but I can't help but feel a little resentment at this mixed with a bigger dose of guilt that I'm being so selfish and self centered when there are others that are in real pain (both physical and emotional).

I've never had to deal with anything like this being so close to home. I remember vividly feeling the same shock and awe on 9/11, during the Virginia Tech shootings, etc but this is the first one that was literally down the street and I'm sure I'm not alone with the chaos of emotion that seems to be ever changing.

I hope I don't offend anyone and that it seems like I'm trying to take away from those who are directly suffering from this but we're all suffering in different ways and I know I can't just keep this to myself.

Thanks for "listening"
  #6   Add to mewletter's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 20th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Truth-seeking Skeptic

mewletter is on a distinguished road
Tragic as it is, I can't help the similarity in this article I read about a week ago...

http://thisorthat.com/blog/why-the-j...vior-of-us-all

Normal people do 'snap' and sadly, it's getting easier to go on a rampage since such firearms are easily own in America. Strange there's not many carry their own firearm for their own protection over there.
  #7   Add to dhalden's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 20th, 2012, 08:45 PM

I think I'm just going to go ahead and say this now in hopes that the whole topic can be circumvented on this thread, but let's move any and all gun-control debates/discussions/conversations to another board (i.e. "Off-Topic") or make it another thread entirely. I hope that everyone, regardless of their position on the topic, can agree to this.
  #8   Add to dominicrue's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 21st, 2012, 12:52 AM

dominicrue is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dominicrue
I too live fairly close to the theater that it happened at and I do know a few people that were there when it happened. Luckily all of them made it out ok but it's just surreal to think that this happened and to think it happened to my friends.

I will say the vibe around everyone right now in Denver is very strange. Going though this does make you check on the ones you love to see if they are ok. I don't think it's selfish at all to feel the way you do because you just as easily could have been there. So could have I but it is a big wake up call to be close to the people you love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGryphon18 View Post
Hey all,

I just wanted/needed to take a few minutes to post something here in regards to this:

I live in Aurora only about 4 miles from this theatre and less than 9 blocks from the guy's apartment that he rigged up and has resulted in a partial evacuation of the surrounding area. Thankfully I was not present at the theatre last night (though I had thought about going) nor do I personally know anyone who was there.

I don't really know what to say in regards to this whole thing as I've had the whole gambit of emotions thus far. Relief/happiness at not being there, sadness for those that were, anger for the fact this happened as well as the fact that of everyone I know, family, friends, local or across the country, only 5 people have actively contacted me to see that I'm alright. All day today I was either sleeping or went into work but never got anything after those first couple people. I'm hoping this is just a natural part of the shock of this whole thing but I can't help but feel a little resentment at this mixed with a bigger dose of guilt that I'm being so selfish and self centered when there are others that are in real pain (both physical and emotional).

I've never had to deal with anything like this being so close to home. I remember vividly feeling the same shock and awe on 9/11, during the Virginia Tech shootings, etc but this is the first one that was literally down the street and I'm sure I'm not alone with the chaos of emotion that seems to be ever changing.

I hope I don't offend anyone and that it seems like I'm trying to take away from those who are directly suffering from this but we're all suffering in different ways and I know I can't just keep this to myself.

Thanks for "listening"
  #9   Add to tattcub's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 21st, 2012, 01:20 AM

tattcub is on a distinguished road
Hi all,

In my time I have had two lucky escapes from such tragedy...The last being the July bombings in London.

My thoughts are with the people of Aurora and the families of those whose lives have be destroyed by such a senseless act.

Just know that the reports have been on our news almost since the moment it happened and that the folks of the UK are with you...

You're in our thoughts.

TC
  #10   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 22nd, 2012, 03:31 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
These kinds of events are horrible and scary because they attack our key belief that we are ultimately civilized people who limit violence to "acceptable" arenas such as sports or war.

The randomness of the killing is what is so scary. If it is some planned, long running conspiracy like organized crime, or an ongoing war, it is somehow more predictable and expected and less frightening.

We try to come up with explanations for actions that are ultimately inexplicable.

Mdlftr
  #11   Add to dhalden's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 22nd, 2012, 06:01 AM

I'd agree Mdlftr, but would also add that there is another psychological level to it as well.

These attacks, seemingly increasingly more violent, frighten us so not only because of their sheer brutality, but because of where they are performed. Theaters, previously thought as "safe environments", were comfortable to us, places where we could go to escape the harsh realities of the world (i.e. bastions of escapism). That complacency and comfortableness was violated Thursday evening. The same could be said of high schools, colleges, and malls as well. All of these places were previously environments we felt safe in, which is why when that safety was violated in a similar manner, our responses were and are of such serious shock. Unfortunately, we can now add theaters to that list.
  #12   Add to 2bored's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 22nd, 2012, 08:53 PM

2bored is on a distinguished road
The shooting was awful and frightening and sad.

I hate how there will be a media frenzy about this for probably the next 6 months at least. I hate how it makes so many people fearful. I hate how the media is implying that him not having a public facebook or twitter account should have been a warning flag.

This is without doubt the safest time in history. It's the most paranoid too.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options