The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to jdhdawg's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 15th, 2005, 06:02 AM

jdhdawg is on a distinguished road
Question Building Peaks

Although I've been making good progress over summer with my lifting, I still have a problem with my arms. I've got decent size (17") but very little peak on my biceps. I realize that a lot of this is genetic but does anyone have any ideas on bringing my peaks up? Up to this point, I've tried some hammer curls and concentration curls. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to hulkmuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 15th, 2005, 08:08 AM
OPA!

hulkmuscle
Send a message via Yahoo to hulkmuscle
Concentration curls are good for trying to peak the biceps, as are spider curls (done on the flat or vertical side of a preacher bench). Doing either of these with a cable apparatus can also be particularly effective. Hold the contraction at the top for at least a second or two and try to avoid relaxing into your shoulder if at all possible. You might also want to consider doing these as drop-sets for added intensity.

Hammer curls work the biceps some, but are primarily a brachialis (forearm) move, However, a heightened brachilais can make a bicep look more "bunched up."

How are the legs coming? Any new reports?
Just a piece of sky?

The Follies of Greg
  #3   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 15th, 2005, 05:37 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
Ditto...

...on the spider-bench curls.Easily the best biceps peak exercise.I am about to say something controversial:"the much-maligned behind-the-neck shoulder press is good for biceps peak!"SecretsO NOT BRACE YOUR BACK ON A BENCH!Do them seated or standing.The slight body-swing will reduce strain on the shoulders.TAKE A WIDE GRIP!At the bottom of the lift,your wrists should be OUTSIDE your shoulders.You do need some flexibility in your shoulder sockets,natural or acquired.&the exercise is just plain risky.But not as risky as steroids.
  #4   Add to hulkmuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 15th, 2005, 07:16 PM
OPA!

hulkmuscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by glammaman2000
...on the spider-bench curls.Easily the best biceps peak exercise.I am about to say something controversial:"the much-maligned behind-the-neck shoulder press is good for biceps peak!"SecretsO NOT BRACE YOUR BACK ON A BENCH!Do them seated or standing.The slight body-swing will reduce strain on the shoulders.TAKE A WIDE GRIP!At the bottom of the lift,your wrists should be OUTSIDE your shoulders.You do need some flexibility in your shoulder sockets,natural or acquired.&the exercise is just plain risky.But not as risky as steroids.
As an addendum to that, if you have problems with behind-the-neck delt presses, you might want to consider implementing some rotator cuff work. Very light, just to emphasize the fragile infraspinatus and supraspinatus muscles surrounding the shoulder blades that help balance the delts (is that the right explanation of the kinesiology, guys?) My delts have come up substantitally since I added some very light work at the ends of my delt works. Primes em for next time.

Hey Glam, we should set up a booth and dispense advice sometime...sort of like Lucy's psychiatrist booth.

The Doctor is in. That'll be five cents, please.
Just a piece of sky?

The Follies of Greg
  #5   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 15th, 2005, 09:00 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
I've mentioned this before....

...but LIQUID Twinlab Joint Fuel is great.Tastes lousy,but WAY cheaper&more effective than tabs.Other weird shit that worksumbell laterals for biceps split.Some back work for triceps(I'll have to think of specifics)Flyes(DB or cable)for biceps.Triceps pressdowns for abs.Leg stabilising exercises for leg biceps,like power cleans.(I can do leg curls until I'm blue in the face;nothing)Leg curls with your feet pointed,for calves.(The Doctor is IN!)
  #6   Add to hulkmuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 16th, 2005, 08:18 AM
OPA!

hulkmuscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by glammaman2000
Other weird shit that worksumbell laterals for biceps split.
That one I can't figure out.
Quote:
Some back work for triceps(I'll have to think of specifics)
Pullover work will affect your tris if your arms are bent as opposed to straight. Likewise, tri extensions can work your lats if you allow the bar to travel back past your head as you lower it.
Quote:
Flyes(DB or cable)for biceps.
I could see this working if you're keeping your arms at right angles at the bottom of the move and flexing/moving your forearms in
Quote:
Triceps pressdowns for abs.
Hmmm...sounds like you'd need some body swing to get this one. Right?
Quote:
Leg stabilising exercises for leg biceps,like power cleans.(I can do leg curls until I'm blue in the face;nothing)
My favorite hammy move are stiff-leg deadlifts where you come up only 2/3 of the way, so your lower back doesn't come into play (likewise, your legs are completely stif, just soft knees, but they remain locked throughout)
Quote:
Leg curls with your feet pointed,for calves.
This is actually my main calf move and I've outgrown my gym's leg curl machine, so I have to do single leg work (otherwise it's too light). Standing calf, leg press calf and donkey calf stuff I consider detail moves.
Quote:
The Doctor is IN!
Next!
Just a piece of sky?

The Follies of Greg
  #7   Add to jdhdawg's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 16th, 2005, 08:30 AM

jdhdawg is on a distinguished road
Smile Doctors

Thanks a bunch, guys. I feel like I've gotten all kinds of good advice-- and for only a nickel! I'll give your suggestions a try and report back in a few weeks.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options