The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Muscle & Mind
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Yesterday at 11:53 PM

Notices

Muscle & Mind Motivation, Inspiration and The Mind. What drives you?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 2.77 average. Display Modes
  #1   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 21st, 2012, 08:49 AM

The Magus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to The Magus
Aggression

I need some help unlocking my "inner beast."

Consistent feedback that I've gotten from rugby coaches and now from my personal trainer are that I need to harness some aggression. The problem, I think, is that I know I have a temper but I've always been told to keep that in check, so unless I'm actually, seriously angry about something I'm pretty low-key and easy-going.

On the rugby pitch, it's all fun and games for me, and when I'm lifting weights and get stuck in the bottom of a lift, my trainer wants me to use some aggression to push out those last couple of reps, I just can't find it.

When I'm pissed off, sure I can be aggressive, but when playing rugby or lifting weights I'm actually -happy-, and I have no clue how to be happy AND aggressive.

Is there anyone else with this problem or with solutions I can try? Is there a "trick" to turning on my aggression when I need it? Should I be thinking angry thoughts when I get to the gym? Help!
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 21st, 2012, 08:56 AM

CelticMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
You sound a bit like me then. I enjoy training in the gym as well and cannot fathom even getting a tiny bit upset over anything (a case in point when our party's candidate in the recent Corby special election came fourth and lost their funding in that district, everyone on the ground was furious, I on the other hand was going "Ho Hum!")
  #3   Add to jx22uk's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 5th, 2013, 12:37 PM
UK - For chat/meet/growth

jx22uk is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to jx22uk
Interesting topic...

Perhaps you might it useful to think of it less as aggression and more about focus and power. Unleashing a roar of energy, doesn't have to be an angry or nasty thing?

I guess what i'm saying is to focus on the positive aspects of aggression rather than the negative ones...but if you find a good answer i'm all ears!
  #4   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 5th, 2013, 10:36 PM

inflated is on a distinguished road
I am not an agressive person, I like being mild mannered, so aggression has no value for me. The most aggressive I get is in a weightlifting contest, but its all centered on the weights not trying to increase aggression. If you are not naturally an aggressive type it does not make sense to go against your nature. I prefer focused attention rather than aggression.
  #5   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 6th, 2013, 10:32 AM

The Magus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to The Magus
Thanks for the feedback guys. I can't say that I'm always calm and collected...there are things that set me off, lol, but working out isn't one of them.

What I -think- my trainer is trying to get from me is a more explosive lift, to activate the "fast" muscle fibres, so I'll chat with him about that when I see him Tuesday.

I can do focus and intensity, just not angry and aggressive. :P
  #6   Add to cohzaku's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 13th, 2013, 05:04 PM

cohzaku is on a distinguished road
The gym and the weightroom specifically is the one place where I'm in control, and I can truely relax. I do NOT want to have anger and agression in there. I relax, I enjoy myself, and I'm calm. My lifts go up consistently, five pounds per session, And if I'm too fatigued to do a set, or miss a few reps, it's more than likely due to not properly resting than a lack of agression or anything.

I'm actually always baffled when I hear this mentallity that weightlifting SHOULD be an angry activity. If anything, I would say approaching it with aggression would lead to poor form, or fast movement.
  #7   Add to BigLittleTim's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 14th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Big man in Boston

BigLittleTim has disabled reputation
Music for aggression

What's in your iPod, dude?

Mild mannered Clark Kent will get all aggressive and focused with the right tunes on.

I have many suggestions.

BIG TIM
  #8   Add to EricRF's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 15th, 2013, 06:20 PM

EricRF is on a distinguished road
I'm in the same boat. Whether it's aggression or focus, I'm having trouble achieving either. My trainer tells me that I'm reaching a limit where I have the strength, but I need to get my "head right". I only vaguely know what he means, and I definitely don't know how to get there.

I'm also not aggressive by nature (music doesn't help), and I also have trouble keeping focus during a lift. I'm not sure how to achieve it (focus), but sometimes I do, but don't know how to do it again. I also have trouble maintaining it, especially as the number of reps increases. And it's not a lot of reps. With heavy weight, for three reps I'm usually OK if I have focus, but when any fatigue sets in and the weight gets "heavy", I lose focus, my form goes to shit, and I can sometimes grind through another rep, but that's it. If I could maintain form and focus, I know I can do better.

So any advice, suggestions, etc, are welcome. It gets really frustrating.

Thanks!
  #9   Add to cohzaku's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 15th, 2013, 07:20 PM

cohzaku is on a distinguished road
Ever tried a pre-workout? Usually on days where I feel a little unfocused, I take a pre-workout and it really helps me push myself at the gym.

I really never have had trouble with focus...I tell myself how much I have to do, and I do it.

Do you use a workout tracking app like Jefit? I've found sometimes that having a solid documentation of my workouts, and my progress is terrific inspiration to push my body further. Seeing a calculated one rep max fires me up, and in a few weeks, I've done that max for five reps.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options