You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to tough guy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 28th, 2005, 03:21 AM

tough guy is on a distinguished road
Question skinny arms / strong legs

I've got a problem that maybe you all can help me out with.

My problem is this. I've been working my arms (biceps and Triceps) out for a while now and nothing that I do seems to make them get any bigger.
I've increased the weight that I use also and that does nothing.
I'm not very strong and the weight Isn't much....

20 lbs. dumbells.

What am I doing wrong?

What would any of you suggest that I do, to make them get alot bigger? BecauseIve tried incresing the weight and reps...And...NOTHING... not even sore muscles. nor an inch more of size...

Also IMO I've got a set of strong legs, and the muscles builds up easily on them.

I just want to get a stronger and bigger upper body.

Would being able to Squat over 250 lbs. on a Leverage Machine be considered strong?

Just wondering.

Last edited by tough guy; November 28th, 2005 at 03:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 28th, 2005, 08:25 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Big Arms...Everybody wants 'em...

..and some people build 'em easier than others, BUT everyone can make their own BIGGER!!

TG,
The thing about muscle growth in general is that
1. It takes time
2. It tends to occur at sporadic intervals, after a certain amount of time, correct training, sufficient nutrition of the right kind (e.g., protein/carbohydrates/ water) and adequate rest for muscle growth.
3. Muscle growth generally occurs all over your body. If your legs get bigger as a result of squats (great exercise!) it has a synergistic effect on the rest of your body (assuming you are working your whole body as a result of your training program) and causes it to grow everywhere.

A body part like arms has relatively small muscle mass compared to big body parts like the legs, chest and back. In general, if you work the big body parts with "compound" exercises (those that use multiple joints and engage multiple muscle groups) you get better overall muscle growth than just doing sets of single joint, "finishing" exercises (such as curls).

Some suggested exercises for a routine:

Do exercises that work the following muscle groups at the same time:
chest/tris
Bench Press,
push ups
close grip BP (for tris)
rope push downs (tris)
behind neck db extn (tris)
Back/bis
pull ups/ chin ups (palms away, palms facing)
lat pull downs
seated rows
upright rows
curls with ez curl bar in sets of seven (Do 7 reps at each of the 3 positions: bottom to mid range; mid range to top; full motion)
DEADLIFTS This is a great exercise, done correctly. Make sure you have some one show you correct form on this.
legs
squats
leg presses on machine
leg extensions
leg curls
calf raises
shoulders
shoulder presses with a bar (Smith machine)
db presses (either seated or standing)
DB laterals: side; front; rear
Shrugs (more for traps, but helps)

These suggestions are enough to get you started. I'm sure the other guys in the Forum will weigh in. They're really experienced at this, so read em all and then go out and work for yourself!

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be popping sleeves in no time!

Mdlftr
  #3   Add to buffdoc's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 28th, 2005, 05:24 PM

buffdoc
Send a message via Yahoo to buffdoc
Mdlftr is right on in terms of advice. You will not get great guns by focusing on isolation exercises. Focus on compound lifts, compound lifts, compound lifts. The best are bench press, military press, squats, and deadlifts. Focus first on form then worry about the weight. You control the weight never vice versa. I read an article recently that stated to gain an inch in your arms you need to add roughly 10 pounds of muscle--i am not sure that relationship is exactly right but the principle is right on. Think about it--if you could bench 300 pounds with ease, you certainly will have great looking arms.
  #4   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 28th, 2005, 08:51 PM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
Compound lifts are the king, and the bench press is my favorite. It will pump up your chest, and swoll your arms, I guarantee it.

BTW: I think an inch to 10 lbs is good. That's the same amount I've always used in my fantasies. I came up with it on my own after comparing the stats of a ton of bodybuilders when I was about 12, and it almost always holds true.
  #5   Add to flexicon1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 30th, 2005, 08:59 PM

flexicon1
upward and onward...

The other thing you're going to have to do is increase something each time you work out. You grow by babystep increments. You say you work with 20 lb. dumbells. If you can curl that 10 or 12 reps and feel like you can do more, it's time to move on.

You want to work with a weight you can only curl 6 times, and the seventh feels impossible. Do one set with this weight this week. Maybe it's 20 lb. dumbells with a 1 1/4 lb. platemate. Maybe its 25 lbs. Whatever it is just do one set. Make sure you cannot get it up that seventh time. If you can, you're working too light.

Now, wait a week. Overtraining is easy to do. If your body knows your using the same weight every night for a bunch of reps, you can't convince it to grow. It's got the muscle to do the job you're giving it. So wait a week. Then try it again and see how many you can get up. It'll probably be 7 or 8 reps. Do as many as you can, 5, 6, 8 reps, whatever, and then rest for 45 seconds or so and do a second set. You might be able to do as many as your first set, but probably not. See how many you can do. Then wait another week.

Keep working your other bodyparts the way you've been training if you're happy with it, or adopt this method for 6 weeks or so and see where it takes you. Each time you train (I train each bodypart once a month or so, but most people like a weekly cycle), add a rep and/or a set and/or some weight. Platemates are ideal for taking babysteps, since I usually can't go from, say, 25 to 30 lbs. in 1 leap. I need to add 1 1/4 or 2 1/2 lbs magnets to help my strength up. Anytime you can get the weight up 10-12 times, it's time to add weight and start with 1 set again.

so here's a sample for a 6 week cycle:

week 1 - 25 lb. 6x
week 2 - 25 lb. 7x / 5x
week 3 - 25 lb. 10x / 8x / 8x
week 4 - 26 1/4 lb. 10x
week 5 - 27 1/2 lb. 10x / 8x
week 6 - 30 lb. 6 x

You might go faster or slower than this. Don't worry about it. Everybody's body has it's own pace. Make sure to get lots of good quality proteins, lots of water, fresh fruits, veggies, sprouts, nuts, and seeds (raw organic as much as possible) every day!

You'll grow, bro. Give it time.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options