You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to XXLTank's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 4th, 2005, 02:43 AM

XXLTank has disabled reputation
Guys who check themselves out at the gym

Don't you just love watching the big straight guys flexing while they think no one's looking in the mirror while working out?

Seems to be happening more often in my gym.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 4th, 2005, 08:28 AM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
I love it....

...when they're in the middle of their chest workout&you catch them feeling themselves up!
  #3   Add to Buffling's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 4th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Evolving Jock

Buffling is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Buffling
I'm hard-pressed to find a man in the gym who DOESN'T check himself out. I think everyone does it; you just need to catch them at the right time. The big guys will do it openly because, well, nobody's going to tease them about it... but even the guys who are just starting out get a kick out of seeing themselves pumped up in the mirror.

I get a kick out of seeing other guys do it because it means I don't have to feel bad about doing it myself
  #4   Add to muslguy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 4th, 2005, 09:40 AM

muslguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to muslguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXLTank
Don't you just love watching the big straight guys flexing while they think no one's looking in the mirror while working out?

Seems to be happening more often in my gym.
I wonder if the srt8 guys are turned on by it..........
  #5   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 4th, 2005, 11:48 AM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
I always thought of it as a natural part of working out. I've always done it, and I've seen guys of all sizes doing it. It's a good exercise between sets, and it's always good to see how you're progressing. I never saw it as a straight/gay thing.
  #6   Add to hulkmuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 4th, 2005, 01:01 PM
OPA!

hulkmuscle
Send a message via Yahoo to hulkmuscle
I agree Brent. In between sets I think it's important to confirm that your target muscles are indeed being worked and I do flex or at least contract the muscles in the mirror in between sets to further engorge the muscle belly. It's also a terrific way to learn to isolate specific muscle groups, especially those muscle groups you have a hard time feeling, like lats. It's less for vanity than for maximizing your development in the limited time you have at the gym.

On a couple of occasions, I've even got a couple pointers from some of the competitive bb's at my gym, like "elbows higher and slightly forward" on the double bicep. This one bb now gives me a thumbs-up if he sees me posing and I'm doing it right.
Just a piece of sky?

The Follies of Greg

Last edited by hulkmuscle; December 4th, 2005 at 03:28 PM.
  #7   Add to nevertoobig's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 4th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Grower

nevertoobig
Send a message via AIM to nevertoobig Send a message via MSN to nevertoobig Send a message via Yahoo to nevertoobig
Most of the time...

I like when I see a guy flex and feel. But in my gym there's a guy and he feels and flexes after every set. And he really isn't that big. He also never trains legs and when I once asked when he did legs he just stared at me stupidly... Sometimes I get a little bit disgust to see a scrawny guy to get all hot for himself in the middle of the gym.
But when a big guy does it's hot. But not too much, or he's too much of a show-off.
  #8   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 4th, 2005, 08:40 PM

Notbigenuff
Send a message via AIM to Notbigenuff Send a message via Yahoo to Notbigenuff
I agree with Buffling that everyone seems to do it - just that no one seems to want to admit it!
  #9   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 5th, 2005, 08:32 AM

If you think we're show-offs, you should see the lady's locker room. The gym I belong to just opened a new club up the street from me, and a couple weeks before it opened, we were able to tour the entire thing. The women have actual posing areas to get naked, and show off their fake boobs! They also have private showers, changing rooms and their own sauna. I asked my mom about the posing areas, and she said that they have naked girls just walking up and down the changing rooms showing off their wares. And I thought men were vain...
  #10   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 6th, 2005, 11:42 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Men and Women are different, alright....

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent
If you think we're show-offs, you should see the lady's locker room. And I thought men were vain...
Quite true! I've heard women looking at a photo spread in Vogue or Seventeen saying to each other, about the female model, "Oh, She's beautiful! I wish I had breasts like hers! But her booty isn't big enough!" ....

.....and on, and on.

Women are MUCH more straightforward about sizing up other women and clinically evaluating them, without getting all hung up about, "Oh, does this mean I'm weird?!" like guys do.

Think about it. When 's the last time you heard any guy, gay or straight say to a friend in a public place, "Man, that dude's handsome! I wish my chest was as big as his! And his butt!" Doesn't happen.
  #11   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 6th, 2005, 07:25 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
Beyond that,...

...there are aspects of competition amongst females that most men;straight or gay,know nothing about.&you don't want to know.
  #12   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 7th, 2005, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlftr
Quite true! I've heard women looking at a photo spread in Vogue or Seventeen saying to each other, about the female model, "Oh, She's beautiful! I wish I had breasts like hers! But her booty isn't big enough!" ....

.....and on, and on.

Women are MUCH more straightforward about sizing up other women and clinically evaluating them, without getting all hung up about, "Oh, does this mean I'm weird?!" like guys do.

Think about it. When 's the last time you heard any guy, gay or straight say to a friend in a public place, "Man, that dude's handsome! I wish my chest was as big as his! And his butt!" Doesn't happen.

That's funny, because I am the only guy at my work. When it is dead & boring (nearly always) we sometimes flip through magazines like Vegas, evaluating ever picture of every girl & every guy. One girl I work with even goes, "Nice rack!" when girls that are well-endowed walk by. (Remember: she's straight)
  #13   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 7th, 2005, 09:06 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Women checking out other women....

...Of course, guys, there is ALWAYS the trap that women set for guys regarding comments about other women.

Case in point: Last night, my wife and I are channeling surfing. It was either a re-run of "Law n Order, SVU" or other crap shows, and my wife sees the listing for "Victoria's Secret Fashion Show". It was an hour long parade of shots of these really, really skinny female models parading up and down a runway, all wearing variations of the same skimpy outfit: bra and panties, plus stiletto heels, capes, hats, gloves, etc. etc.

After a few minutes, I realized that this show really sucked, mostly cause: All of the models collectively couldn't muster up enough bosom to fill a small "A" bra, and they had no curves or muscle tone at all. They were so unhealthily skinny, with so little muscle tone, that their thighs actually wobbled as they took those giant steps down the runway on thier skyscraper shoes. They had pretty faces, if you like 'em really vacuous, or barely post-pubescent. Finally, in an effort to make the 'event' look exciting, the camera shots were at such odd angels and the cutting was so quick that you could barely see anything.

Anyway, my wife looks over at me for my reaction.

Not being stupid, I of course, commented on how skinny and out of shape the models were, and suggested we change the channel. It was a VERY pleasant evening after that........

Mdlftr
  #14   Add to xythan_shadow's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 7th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Writer and Lifter

xythan_shadow is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to xythan_shadow Send a message via Yahoo to xythan_shadow
Good that you kept your wits about you man. There are only a few right answers to questions like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlftr
...Of course, guys, there is ALWAYS the trap that women set for guys regarding comments about other women.

Case in point: Last night, my wife and I are channeling surfing. It was either a re-run of "Law n Order, SVU" or other crap shows, and my wife sees the listing for "Victoria's Secret Fashion Show". It was an hour long parade of shots of these really, really skinny female models parading up and down a runway, all wearing variations of the same skimpy outfit: bra and panties, plus stiletto heels, capes, hats, gloves, etc. etc.

After a few minutes, I realized that this show really sucked, mostly cause: All of the models collectively couldn't muster up enough bosom to fill a small "A" bra, and they had no curves or muscle tone at all. They were so unhealthily skinny, with so little muscle tone, that their thighs actually wobbled as they took those giant steps down the runway on thier skyscraper shoes. They had pretty faces, if you like 'em really vacuous, or barely post-pubescent. Finally, in an effort to make the 'event' look exciting, the camera shots were at such odd angels and the cutting was so quick that you could barely see anything.

Anyway, my wife looks over at me for my reaction.

Not being stupid, I of course, commented on how skinny and out of shape the models were, and suggested we change the channel. It was a VERY pleasant evening after that........

Mdlftr
  #15   Add to dallasmsl's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 10th, 2005, 11:33 AM

dallasmsl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dallasmsl
Men Flexing at the Gym???

Gee, I've never heard of such a thing!

heheehehehe.
  #16   Add to harleyxr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 21st, 2007, 07:24 AM
harleyxr

harleyxr is on a distinguished road
I live in West Greenwich Village. There are SO many guys here that the posing is in the gym, on the street, in the grocery store, EVERYWHERE. There are the obvious posers, the really big muscleheads and MANY guys who are posing but don't want you to think they are posing. They want to seem buffed but subtle. They generally are not. Usually you catch them trying to secretly see if you are watching them. I LOVE the mirror placement in the gym, you will be on a piece of equipment resting and a guy doesn't realize you can see him clearly bounced off two mirrors. They are the most fun to watch when they really don't know anyone is watching.
  #17   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 6th, 2007, 12:44 AM
DaBigGuy1

DaBigGuy1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to DaBigGuy1
I always see someone flexing in the mirror at teh gym...even the skinniest of guys that just do biceps curls. I have seen one guy that comes to the gym in the evenings when I am there, and he ALWAYS does bicep curls.... I have NEVER seen him work anything else. And after each set, he proudly goes over to the mirrior and flexes his heart out! Hey, I say more power to him and just smile......at LEAST he is consistently coming to the gym! One day, the switch will flip and he will really get into it!

And it makes me feel better for when I decide to sneak in a "mirror pose" . And yes, I notice people looking at me too..although I probably would have been more self-conscious about posing years ago when I was weighing about 125 pounds soaking wet, instead of the 250 pounsd I weigh today.....

Ron
  #18   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 7th, 2007, 11:24 PM

CelticMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
I have yet to see a bodybuilder NOT flex in the mirror after a gym session

But have noticed that here in the UK, the state of dress depends on the gym owner. The general rule of thumb appears to be:

Level of friendship with gym owner is directly proprtional to the level of intensity of posing

For instance, if the poser knows the gym owner just a little, then the gym owner would permit clothed posing, but if the gym owner knows the poser very well indeed then full contest posing is permitted.
  #19   Add to musclebaz's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 8th, 2007, 01:07 PM

musclebaz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to musclebaz
This may be obvious but in my gym one of the partners looks at us to gain an idea of how we look and to give suggestions to our diet so that we can become more defined. Also the owner gives me posing suggestions in competition gear so that we can improve our posing and this can be in full view of the other members
  #20   Add to MUSCULOID's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 3rd, 2007, 06:15 PM

MUSCULOID is on a distinguished road
i am a flexer! I'll admit it..... I think it is important. we want to be muscular so it is part of the program. i know some guys and girls are a bit freaked out, but this is for me. the more veins i can make pop out of my muscles, and the bigger i look- the better- then i know i am closer to the musclular freak i want to be!
  #21   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 4th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Muscle Czar

Corwin has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to Corwin Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin
I agree. I'm not the biggest guy at my gym, but watching myself get pumped, feeling the swole and seeing other guys catching glimpses of me out of the corner of their eyes has a positive effect on my ego.

"Stand firm for what you believe in until or unless logic or experience prove you wrong. Remember, when the emperor looks naked the emperor is naked. The truth and a lie are not sort of the same thing. And there's no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza." Daria
  #22   Add to musmirflx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 4th, 2007, 06:51 PM
narcissistic muscle

musmirflx is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to musmirflx
always flexing

at my gym I am the biggest so most everyone checks me out. But for myself I love admiring my body in the mirrors. I like my gym cause of the mirrors.
I pose or flex up close in the mirror alot when its not crowded. and sometimes I pose for guys just to feel my muscles. they all want to get huge as massive size is a sign of hyper masculinity. Some say laughing oK compete already as I am posing. For me though, I flex to feel the pump, and to motivate me as I workout scence what I am looking at is my reward of hard work building a massive body. Some guys ask me to flex others I think they get uncomfortable. alot closet guys at gym. Some do it to get girls they say but its all about male bonding , and acceptance. I ask many str8 guys why they are so into bodbuilding, 100% answer cause I like all the attention I get from everyone male or female.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options