The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Steroids
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Steroids General information, discussion and experiences.

View Poll Results: Would you take a Myostatin Blocker if you could?
Yes 18 46.15%
Yes, if after they've declared it safe for humans 19 48.72%
No. 2 5.13%
Voters: 39. This poll is closed

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to dallasmsl's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 9th, 2005, 03:00 AM

dallasmsl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dallasmsl
Myostatin Update

The following link is only 5 minutes old!

http://www.newscientist.com/article....ine-news_rss20

Just thought I'd try to keep everyone abreast of new developments. I think it is closer than most ever thought it would be. Which means the technology may not be as difficult as some had first thought.

Here's yet another article from yesterday.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1208230252.htm

After reading the articles, would you take a myostatin blocker if you could?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to chris_abs's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 9th, 2005, 03:47 AM
Bigger is Better

chris_abs is on a distinguished road
This stuff is intriguing!

http://www.BigMuscle.com/~fit_chris
  #3   Add to dallasmsl's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 9th, 2005, 05:35 AM

Black market potential?

I agree that it is very intriguing. What I also find amazing is that the "product" has already been brought to testing on many different levels with apparent success. What that ALSO means is that it is not nearly as complicated or impossible as was previously thought. Therefore, once it hits the market, I'm wondering how quickly it will be replicated/duplicated for the eager black market?
  #4   Add to chris_abs's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 9th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Bigger is Better

chris_abs is on a distinguished road
I did a little bit of reading.

The products that are already out on the market use a sea algae that has shown to have an active molecule that binds to Myostatin.

More research needs to be done on that particular molecule as it gives mixed results!

BUT! The actual discovery in itself is mind boggling!! I hope they develop it quickly and prove its safety! i can't wait to test it *cough*

It has some serious implications for the medical world and it also has some controversial implications for the world of sport, including body building. i can see it being "illegal" to buy for personal consumption outside of prescriptions much like steroids. The governing bodies just won't allow something this good to be on the mass market. Personally, I'm going to be on the look out for a product to be developed soon that gets on the market before banning (that works), much like superdrol and some pro-hormones!

can't wait to see the muscle growth transformations :-)

http://www.BigMuscle.com/~fit_chris
  #5   Add to UKBeefy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 9th, 2005, 08:39 AM

UKBeefy is on a distinguished road
What also seems rather lame is the comment at the end of the New Scientist article that black market purchase of the new drug harms the availaiblity for genuine users...arguably a bigger market is beneficial to all. One presumes with existing manufacturers of existing oral and injectable steroids must know privately that a huge proportion of their output ends up on the black market for use by bodybuilders and athletes...as the actual medical uses for steroids are as far as I know relatively small and not necessarily automatically beneficial...
  #6   Add to dallasmsl's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 9th, 2005, 05:19 PM

Supply and Demand

Additionally, I don't believe the product that the legit Pharmaceutical companies will ever make to the black market or at least in VERY limited quantities just as the current crop of black market drugs are made by black market pharmaceutical companies, they will also make myostatin blockers. Once the legit stuff hits the market, they will simply take it, examine it, and recreate it. Will they violate patent laws? Hell yes! That's how they make their money. Agreeing with UK, the supply for legitimate muscular dystrophy patients will not be in any danger.
  #7   Add to dallasmsl's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 11th, 2005, 11:31 AM

And, yet, another story

This one also has feedback on it. Interesting reading.

http://science.slashdot.org/article....24243&from=rss
  #8   Add to dallasmsl's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 17th, 2005, 12:52 PM

I'm impressed! Out of the 28 who have voted in this poll, not one has voted that they wouldn't take the myostatin blocker. I find it amazing givin the number of people who would not take steroids of any kind even though not one death has ever been attributed to them. (Diuritcs are not steroids)
  #9   Add to Gene's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 17th, 2005, 07:44 PM

Gene is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasmsl
I'm impressed! Out of the 28 who have voted in this poll, not one has voted that they wouldn't take the myostatin blocker. I find it amazing givin the number of people who would not take steroids of any kind even though not one death has ever been attributed to them. (Diuritcs are not steroids)
Well, maybe not by overdose. However over a lifetime I think you'll find several big BB's who quit or even died because of liver or kidney problems. Hmmm... guess what some of the contraindications are for steroid use.

Futzing around with your body chemistry is serious business.

I don't believe that they shouldn't be illegal to the degree that they are. Still, there should be a lot more qualified supervision and education of the realities of steroid use and especially of long term steroid use. And "long term" isn't very long.
  #10   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 17th, 2005, 09:11 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
poll only had 3 options....

Sure,I'd try it if it was safe for humans!About 10yrs.after the 1st.trials.(things tend to get revised over time)Heck;if steroids worked for me&I didn't have to deal with the side-effects,I'd be taking them by the handful!
  #11   Add to dallasmsl's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 18th, 2005, 05:57 AM

Response to Gene

You are correct that a lot of bodybuilders have had problems (serious problems) with kidneys and liver function. And I can NOT say that steroids didn't have anything to do with it (because I'm not a scientist or doctor who attended to those people). I CAN say that many people who never touch steroids have liver or kidney problems long before they should due to their crappy diets and lack of exercise.

Also, remember that when a bodybuilder is up on that stage and totally ripped for the judges and cameras that he is probably in the worst PHYSICAL condition of his life due to the lack of water in his system. This constant striving to look "on" for fans and photo shoots can take a heavy toll on the kidneys and liver. Your body can only take so much pounding. And the real menace is not usually steroids but diuritics which are still legal and prescribed by doctors without government interference.

As for the contraindications ("side affects will vary but may include....") everything you injest into your body can have side affects. Everything can be abused. Hundreds of people (or is it thousands?) die each year from common aspirin which is also taughted as a life saver for many.

I'm not trying to convince you or anyone that steroids are good; not at all. Only that they are not the evil menace that the media has placed on them. Bodybuilding is still VERY MUCH an underground sport. As long as it remains so, it will continue to be the scorn and target of the majority.

Dave.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options