The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to testosteroni's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 19th, 2005, 08:52 PM

testosteroni
Question Just starting out, any advice for my situation?

I'm 5'10", 140 lbs, and until recently, I never worked out in my life. I want to bulk up and look something like this:
http://img129.imagevenue.com/loc203/...an_muscles.jpg

Not unbelievably big, but realistically obtainable for my body type and my race (I'm half-Asian).

I joined a gym recently and I had three free sessions with a personal trainer starting out. This is the routine that he gave me:

12-15 reps, 2-3 sets, three days a week:
Squat (both legs) 200lbs
Squat (each leg alone) 80lbs
Calf raises (for 30 secs, doing as many as I can)
Toe touches (for 30 secs, lying on my back)
Twist 15lbs
Cable cross (low, mid-chest, and high) 15lbs
Standing row (high) 20lbs

I've been following this routine for several weeks now, and I haven't seen any noticeable improvements yet. How long should it take before I start to notice a difference in the way I look?

Also, how important is cardio? I generally only eat 2-3 small meals per day, I'm worried that cardio is going to burn up calories that would otherwise go towards building up muscle, and hurt my gains.

Will I need to drastically change my diet to be able to look like the guy in that photo?

And anything else you want to tell me that I probably don't know that I don't know would be appreciated too. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 19th, 2005, 09:55 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
My guess is....

....you're young,so you probably don't need the cardio;unless you're heavy.Body in pic is TOTALLY obtainable,my guess is that at5'10'he'd be about 170lbs.,maybe less.Keep training!Expect noticeable changes about every 3months!Keep us posted!(What is this"I'm half-asian"crap?There are asian guys with AMAZING bodies!The only thing holding you back is a"we don't do that"attitude!Good luck!g.)
  #3   Add to testosteroni's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 19th, 2005, 10:30 PM

testosteroni
Lol, thanks. You're right, I'm 20 years old. I have low body fat (< %10), but no visible abs yet--I don't know if I just need to exercise my abs more or lose more body fat or both. I hear that cardio is good for losing body fat so I can get a visible six-pack, which is why I'm considering it, but I also hear that cardio can interfere with muscle gains. And you're right, I've seen Asian guys with unbelievable bodies, just not that many of them. But I can see how having the attitude that I'm doomed to stay small will help keep me that way.

So is my exercise routine adequate? Can I look like the guy in the photo by using this routine, or will I need to switch to a more advanced routine eventually? Thanks for putting up with my questions.
  #4   Add to UKBeefy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 20th, 2005, 02:09 AM

UKBeefy is on a distinguished road
when you say you eat only 3 small meals a day can you be more specific...You do need to eat to grow and eating very modest meals won't help...you need to make sure you are eating a good protein source at each meal (eg eggs, lean beef/chicken, fish etc) plus some carbs and some vegetables....

One of the key meals to improve is Breakfast...so many people these days skip that meal or have something cursory and bad eg chocolate bar or Chips (crisps to us Brits) and a coffee. Get into a routine of having a good breakfast every day of say eggs and some slow release carbs eg Porridge (Oatmeal) or a good wholewheat unsweetened cereal...
  #5   Add to testosteroni's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 20th, 2005, 02:19 PM

testosteroni
For example, yesterday I ate one turkey sandwich, one plate of spaghetti, and one box of macaroni and cheese. That's a typical day's diet.
  #6   Add to UKBeefy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 20th, 2005, 04:34 PM

So which of those if any was breakfast....?

It does not sound enough to me...

Ie what u have should be supplmented by a breakfast plus maybe a couple of shakes and nuts/fruit...
  #7   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 20th, 2005, 05:54 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
Are you squatting 200lbs.?

If so,that's quite strong for a beginner!Weights for upper-body work seem a bit low;but that's why they call it"progressive resistance".An occassional vegetable in the diet wouldn't hurt.Above all;remember:it's about EFFORT OVER TIME!As long as you are getting stronger,your body eventually HAS to respond!Keep us posted.
  #8   Add to testosteroni's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 21st, 2005, 01:47 AM

testosteroni
Lol, I'm rarely awake before 12pm, so I don't eat a traditional breakfast. The turkey sandwich was my first meal. Shakes and nutrition bars sound like the most painless way of adding calories to my diet, I'll probably look into that.

I was very surprised at how fast my legs adjusted to the weight. I started squatting 80 lbs, and I was able to add 20 lbs or more with every trip to the gym after that. I'm not sure, maybe I was doing the exercise differently (squatting lower and more slowly) when I started, which would make it much more difficult, I think.
  #9   Add to UKBeefy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 21st, 2005, 04:50 AM

Well do make sure you do the full range of movement on squats..ie to a thigh parallel to the floor base position. Alot of people don't do this but claim they are doing heavy weights.

Well even if you do get up late (as I do at the moment) just ignore the time and have a breakfast type meal - lots of complex carbs.....then ahve your other meals at 3hourly intervals...adding shakes with maybe some dried nuts/fruit as the infill meals between a Breakfast/lunch/dinner routine would bring you to 5 meals a day. Ideally you should get to the point where u never feel starving hungry and eat frequently and modestly. Also try and make sure your carb sources are good ones eg wholeweat bread, brown rice/pasta, pototoes/sweet potatoes...rather than refined "white" ones. Expecially important to make sure you ahve some complex slow release carbs before your workout to give u energy.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options