The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Watch Me Grow
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Watch Me Grow Discuss your own personal muscle goals and document your bodybuilding progress, including gains in size and strength and also get encouragement from others.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to growing muscles's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 3rd, 2006, 09:23 AM

growing muscles is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to growing muscles
My Quest for Muscle

Ok guys, here goes! The 2006 goal is to be a musclecub and I am serious about it. I have the gym membership through work with free trainers, have to work on the diet but the desire is there. I want to eventually look like the avatar the handsome O drew for me. Pics just taken with the camera phone and are able to be viewed here: http://www.bear411.com/Bearmusic Can send upon request. Any and all advice glady taken. Not handsome here but hopefully when I get muscles that may be overlooked. Current stats: 5'8" 218, ex-football player/stocy build, hairy chest. Please help with advice. Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to UKBeefy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 3rd, 2006, 09:47 AM

UKBeefy is on a distinguished road
Well best of luck with your endeavours.

One key thing is to cement going to the gym and changing your diet into your normal routine. Be prepared to stand your ground eg with co-workers or friends regarding eating regularly and going to the gym so if they say "oh don't bother with the gym, come for a beer instead" or "why are u always eating stuff all the time" you are prepared with a suitable repost...funnily enough it is when u start to have more of the shape that looks like u go to the gym that those sort of comments may abate but in the early period taking the gym and diet seriously when you're in the early stages requires will power.

Also I would suggest either via sites like this or via the gym build up a few "gym/muscle buddies" who can help you/support you and perhaps give you the odd training session. It is all about getting positive encouragement from people who "get" what you are trying to achieve. Alot of other people out there may be dismissive of what you are trying to achieve so you need to counteract it.

Also I would recommend in the early period in the gym that is the best time to break the ice and talk to people - especially people of size who know what they are doing. Saying nothing for weeks on end means it is harder later to make that step to asking advice. I've made that mistake a few times and regretted it...
  #3   Add to growing muscles's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 4th, 2006, 06:33 AM

Thanks for that advice! I appreciate it believe me. I have already started to change the eating habits before the holidays began and have dropped some weight which has been noticed but I totally understand what you are saying about the perception of body image. I have also made sure all snacks (not really snacks but smaller meals) are nutritious and not the usual "junk" found in vending machines. The adjustment is not an easy one for me but all things take time. Thanks also for the gym advice. There are some big guys here at work who spot for people and seem to always get the questions (as well as the trainers) so I know I will be able to ask them as I build up my workout. Right now, the trainer is working on a plan for me to encompass both cardio and circuit training to get me started. I am sore from the lifting but that is a good thing.
  #4   Add to BigLittleTim's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 5th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Big man in Boston

BigLittleTim has disabled reputation
You've got a great, solid foundation to build on. You have the ideal body type to pack on quality gains, and it sounds like you've got the dedication to make the changes in diet and work-out intensity to make it all come together.

Don't overlook diet and cardio while you're bulking up. THAT was a lesson it took me a long time to learn. Also remember that you grow when you rest BETWEEN workouts, ie: it's the time you're eating and sleeping that your muscles grow to meet the stress you've been putting on them in the gym. Too many guys go gung-ho with the weights and then only get five hours of sleep and miss meals all the time.

Can't wait to see you post your progress pictures.

Cheers,

BigLittleTim
  #5   Add to xythan_shadow's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 5th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Writer and Lifter

xythan_shadow is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to xythan_shadow Send a message via Yahoo to xythan_shadow
Dude, what the fuck. Why didn't you say you were in Columbia SC?

I work and lift downtown.

GAH!!! At least we can hang out and support each other. What gym are you hitting and where? I'm at Brickhouse near the fairgrounds.
  #6   Add to growing muscles's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 6th, 2006, 07:58 AM

sounds like it could be a plan. my company has a gym and trainers on site

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text