The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > General
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Add to stronguns's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 4th, 2013, 11:31 PM

stronguns is on a distinguished road
Doctor Visit

So I go to the doctors today for my annual physical. They are concerned because I gained 20 pounds over the last year and that my resting heart beat is only 45 beats a minute. Well, the 20 pounds is most likely muscle since I have been lifing much heavier than usual and eating better and gotten considerably stronger. The resting heart beat is because I am in good shape, run, walk, ride bike, etc.

the physicians assistant tried taking my blood pressure but the cuff wouldn't fit right. She gave up, told me to take my shirt and pants off while she called the doctor in.

The conversation with the doctor went like this.
... Bodybuilder... no wonder...
... we're having trouble taking your blood pressure. the cuff keeps popping open. Would you please stop flexing? ... I'm not flexing.
... you must be since your arms are hard as rocks and the veins are visible.
... no that is just the pump... I just came from a workout and my muscles will stay this way for awhile.I have low body fat so the veins are often visible.
... Are you sure you can't relax?
... I am relaxed, this is how my arm looks when flexed... I extended my arm, flexed the tricep then did a slow bicep curl. Doctors eyes widened.
... wow don't think I've ever seen an arm that big or so well developed. Your tricep has striations and your bicep actually has a split. Damn, that bicep is at least as big as a softball...
... you're sure right about that doctor. Pretty strong too...
... no doubt about that he said. How much can you curl?
... Oh about 110 pounds on a good day.
... thought you would be able to curl more than that...
... that's with one arm for 5-6 reps doctor.
... thought he would drop over. I couldn't do that with two arms he replied... Heck I would have trouble lifting tha amount from the ground with both hands.
... It wouldn't hurt you to lift a weight or two doctor. (He was very thin.) I could press you over my head with one arm. It's obvious you take care of yourself though...
... thanks he said. Now lay back on the table so I can take an electrocardiogram....
... I usually check the abdomen for any lumps or anything obvious which might indicate a growth, but you'll have to relax your abs...
... He felt around... when I thought he was almost done I flexed my abs...
... could lose a pencil in those ridges he laughed. You can sit up now.
... I sat up about 45 degrees and held myself there so he could have a real good look at my abdominal development.
... OK. I get the point, your abs are strong too...
... let me listen to your heart... by that time some of the pump was going away so I inhaled and flexed my pecs and my back and lats.
... Well one thing I can tell is you have about the widest most muscular upper torso of anyone I have ever seen. I've only seen some of these muscles in drawings...
... thank you doctor, that's a nice complement but I have even bigger friends.
... your heart rate is slow, but I'm pretty sure that is because of your fitness level.
... yes, I said, I agree. I bike a lot and love to challenge my friends to see who can make it to the top of a steep hill first. I usually leave them in the dust even though I'm almost twice their weight. I watch them gasping for breath while I sit there barely winded by the time they reach the top.
... just one question... and I feel silly asking, but do you ever feel any muscle weakness or pain during your workouts?
... Well my left deltoid bothers me on occasion when I am bench pressing heavy, but not so much that it's a problem.
... How much is heavy?
... Oh when I go past 300 pounds... he smiled... I'd have trouble using that much weight with my legs...
... He checked the shoulder. On you it is hard getting past the muscle. But if you want we can do an x-ray or some other tests if you want.
... not yet doctor.
... OK well, let's try the blood pressure again.
... this time it worked...
... it's low, but on you I don't see any issue.
... Well. Just keep up what you're doing.
... I plan to!

Last edited by stronguns; January 5th, 2013 at 08:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to stronguns For This Useful Post:
amauiguy (January 7th, 2013), bbgonnabe (January 30th, 2013), cozman (January 5th, 2013), cutlerfan (January 5th, 2013), flamedelft (January 6th, 2013), gogr2 (January 6th, 2013), Mickju (January 8th, 2013), pearlice (January 5th, 2013), Shelby (January 6th, 2013), Terrylee Long (January 30th, 2013), The Magus (January 6th, 2013), worshipper (January 5th, 2013)
  #2   Add to worshipper's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 5th, 2013, 12:47 AM

worshipper is on a distinguished road
Hot coat & shirt ripping

I think you were playing with that Dr. & that Dr. enjoyed being played with.
cozman (January 5th, 2013)
  #3   Add to howardbeatman's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 5th, 2013, 08:36 AM

howardbeatman is on a distinguished road
I know this is a fictional site, but most doctors have at least two sizes of blood-pressure cuffs because fat people often have thick upper arms, too (fat instead of muscle). I remember a physical years ago when the doctor had to switch to a larger cuff because my guns were at their largest.
  #4   Add to DragonKnight's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 5th, 2013, 09:22 AM

DragonKnight is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to DragonKnight
There are. We use three different types in the clinic I work in: the normal size, XL, and a thigh (but we use it for patients that the XL still isn't big enough.) I'm also guessing it was a medical assistant or nurse taking the vitals....a PA I'm sure would not want to spend all their education just getting BP before the doctor comes in lol.
  #5   Add to stronguns's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 5th, 2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardbeatman View Post
I know this is a fictional site, but most doctors have at least two sizes of blood-pressure cuffs because fat people often have thick upper arms, too (fat instead of muscle). I remember a physical years ago when the doctor had to switch to a larger cuff because my guns were at their largest.
Their office was being painted. I asked why they didn't have a larger cuff. They said it was in one of the exam rooms which was being painted and couldn't get to it. If you use a cuff that is too tight you get an incorrect reading.
  #6   Add to cozman's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 5th, 2013, 08:50 PM

cozman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to cozman
You should write stories Stronguns 'cause this true one is awesome!
  #7   Add to brutus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 5th, 2013, 08:55 PM

brutus is on a distinguished road
OK, that helps explain the cuff, but who goes to a dr visit straight after the gym? Your BP should have been elevated as wel as your heart rate. I realy enjoyed this story, but I'm sfraid I need to see pics. And if this doesn't work, I will just find another excuse to want to see them!
  #8   Add to Rarity's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 5th, 2013, 09:23 PM
Muscles go with anything~

Rarity is on a distinguished road
Slightly far-fetched, but 75% believable with the appropriate details. I agree with brutus about writing a story instead. You should have written a short story, perhaps adding some fantasy to the mix to spice it up. Then you could say it was based off of a recent encounter at the doctor's office. That'd surely get you some brownie points.

But it would also get people to say "pics or it never happened" or something.
  #9   Add to Curiosity's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 5th, 2013, 09:57 PM

Curiosity is on a distinguished road
Don't discourage him, guys. If I had awesome true stories like this and everyone's reaction was "yeah...that's a nice story, but you're just making shit up," I'd stop sharing.

stronguns, please don't stop sharing!
  #10   Add to brutus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 6th, 2013, 12:22 AM

brutus is on a distinguished road
I don't mean to discourage, I just want to see pics. He sounds HOT!
  #11   Add to Rarity's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 6th, 2013, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post
Don't discourage him, guys. If I had awesome true stories like this and everyone's reaction was "yeah...that's a nice story, but you're just making shit up," I'd stop sharing.

stronguns, please don't stop sharing!
Well since this place is a weird cross between reality and fiction, people want to know whether a story is reality or fiction. If it's fiction that's OK. If it's reality then pics are required or it never happened. Similar to "if there were wimenz in da story das fo real real, tits or GTFO" but for muscly men. So I guess it's "pecs or GTFO" or something. Obviously I'm not being totally serious, but given the attitude of people on this site - I wouldn't put it past them to demand "pecs or GTFO."

Personally I just like to know if a story is fake or not, which means there would have to be some short explanations (sentence or two) about some strange parts in a story if the story is 100% real. If it's fake then it doesn't matter. I guess it's scrutinizing, but it's hardly discouraging unless the guy reading the comments is a total pansy OR if he's lying and is somehow unable to come up with an excuse. . . Which I highly doubt since most bodybuilders are far from being pansies and if a story is real then it will be super easy to explain stuff. He explained the stuff, so chances are this story is real and everyone can be super happy that stronguns is actually a buff guy IRL.
  #12   Add to Jaypat's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 6th, 2013, 06:33 AM

Jaypat will become famous soon enough
In support of the OP, I went in to the hospital last year for a minor procedure. My arms were 16 inches at the time. The technician could not fit the standard blood pressure sleeve around my arm. They had to get a bigger one. I can?t tell you what that does for the ego.

Then when I was on the table, the anesthesiologist?s eyes bugged out at the size of my arms (I never really thought my arms were that impressive) and he wanted to know what I did for a workout. ?What do you do? P90-X or something??

So, drawing from my own personal experience, I believe the OP. There may be a little exaggeration in there, but I believe it probably happened very much the way he described it.
  #13   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 6th, 2013, 10:43 AM

The Magus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to The Magus
Asking for "proof" whether a story is real on this site always makes me roll my eyes. If you want to see pics of hot muscle, just be honest about it, don't insult the poster at the same time.

Yeah, this site has a lot of fantasy, and there's often some blurring of the lines, but we aren't talking about world-shattering stuff here. It won't kill anyone to find out that a story is made up or exaggerated, and it won't kill anyone if they never find out. IMO a lot of users are WAY too hung up on doubting the word of other users - as we've seen when we've lost members of our community - and they are frankly rude about the way they express their doubt.

But that said, I would love to see pics, not because I doubt your story, but because your story is HOT, stronguns.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Magus For This Useful Post:
Mickju (January 8th, 2013)
  #14   Add to niko777's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 6th, 2013, 11:58 AM

niko777 is on a distinguished road
This thread reminds me of what happened when I got a pretty serious operation under general anaesthesia a few weeks ago. My arms are 17.5", and the pressure strap thing was never staying on my arm when it was being inflated.

When the time for the operation came, the anaesthesia lady commented on my arms and said something like "Wow, you must be working out a lot!".

Hearing that right before the anaesthesia made me laugh and kina put me to peace, hahaha.
  #15   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 6th, 2013, 02:09 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Truth

I have to say that most people out in the world are flabby or scrawny or in no kind of shape, so anyone with any kind of muscle looks enormous!

Point: I was getting my blood pressure taken while in the hospital. The nurse rolled up my sleeve, saw my tricep popping off the back of my arm, and exclaimed, "What's that?! What's wrong with your arm?"

Me: (groggy) "Uh. It's my arm."
Nurse: "No, there's something hard sticking out of the back of it."
Me: "It's my tricep. See" (flex)
Nurse: "Wow!"
Me:

Note: While I'm tall (6'3") and over 200 pounds, in shape, I'm not hyooge. My arms are probably around 15 inches or so on a good day. That's 15 HARD, striated inches, mind you, but still "only" 15 inches!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mdlftr For This Useful Post:
bbgonnabe (January 30th, 2013)
  #16   Add to raven79's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 6th, 2013, 04:46 PM
The Insatiable Poster

Thanked 2,031 Times in 861 Posts
raven79 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to raven79
You have got to be kidding Tim. Do nurses never see muscular men go in and out of hospitals? I mean I know they stay busy and all, but aren't there muscular doctors?
  #17   Add to Rarity's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 6th, 2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven79 View Post
You have got to be kidding Tim. Do nurses never see muscular men go in and out of hospitals? I mean I know they stay busy and all, but aren't there muscular doctors?
Doctors have a lot of paperwork to do, even with the help of electronic health records. So the chances of them being able to keep a consistant bodybuilder-like workout regiment is improbable. As such, there are FIT doctors, but not extremely muscular ones.
  #18   Add to Jaypat's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 6th, 2013, 06:58 PM

Jaypat will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven79 View Post
I believe there’s a combination of a couple of things going on here. First of all, we are not a very fit nation. Those of us who spend a lot of time in the gym probably have a disproportionate idea of how fit the population is, since most guys in a gym are in good shape. And if most of our relatives, friends and coworkers are, or at least appear, in decent shape, we naturally assume most people are. This is far from the case.

Most adults are obese. Childhood obesity is at an all time high. And teenagers… the other day I saw a teen who was wearing skinny jeans and they were actually loose on him. In this day and age being a stick is a fashion statement; it’s hip.

Secondly, guys who are healthy and in good shape are less likely to go to the hospital because they are less prone to sickness and injury. So doctors probably don’t see a lot of them. So, when someone with some muscle does come through their doors, apparently it’s so rare it’s worth remarking on.
  #19   Add to stronguns's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 6th, 2013, 10:51 PM

Not sure what was so far fetched in my post. I'm a big guy (251 pounds) and have been lifting for 15 years. I've always been fit and even as a kid had a slower resting heart beat than most. I recover fast so my heart beat goes back to a normal rate quicker than most peoples. For example Lance Armstrong's resting heart beat is said to be somewhere around 32 bpm.

Someone commented about me going right after a workout. Well that day I had a lot to do and asked them to call me if they had any cancellations. While I was in the middle of my workout they asked if I could come right over. It's only a few blocks from my gym so when I got there I was still pumped from the workout.

Their large cuff only goes up to a 18 inch arm and they have had problems using it on me before. This time however it was more difficult since due to the pump my arm was hard so there was no give when they inflated the cuff and it popped off each time they tried.

The doctor I saw that day is just out of med school and I guess I was the first really muscular guy he had ever seen. Probably most people he sees are out of shape. He seemed fascinated with my arms so I figured I would impress him with my abs. He probably weighed no more than 125 pounds dripping wet so it would have been easy to lift him with one hand.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to stronguns For This Useful Post:
amauiguy (January 7th, 2013), Curiosity (January 7th, 2013), flamedelft (January 7th, 2013), Lucas88 (January 7th, 2013), Mickju (January 8th, 2013), The Magus (January 7th, 2013)
  #20   Add to amauiguy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 7th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Growing

amauiguy is on a distinguished road
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Really enjoy hearing things like that for motivation. Keep pumping, big guy! And keep growing to surprise the little folks!
  #21   Add to Lucas88's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 7th, 2013, 08:23 AM

Lucas88 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Lucas88
Quote:
Originally Posted by stronguns View Post
Not sure what was so far fetched in my post. I'm a big guy (251 pounds) and have been lifting for 15 years. I've always been fit and even as a kid had a slower resting heart beat than most. I recover fast so my heart beat goes back to a normal rate quicker than most peoples. For example Lance Armstrong's resting heart beat is said to be somewhere around 32 bpm.

Someone commented about me going right after a workout. Well that day I had a lot to do and asked them to call me if they had any cancellations. While I was in the middle of my workout they asked if I could come right over. It's only a few blocks from my gym so when I got there I was still pumped from the workout.

Their large cuff only goes up to a 18 inch arm and they have had problems using it on me before. This time however it was more difficult since due to the pump my arm was hard so there was no give when they inflated the cuff and it popped off each time they tried.

The doctor I saw that day is just out of med school and I guess I was the first really muscular guy he had ever seen. Probably most people he sees are out of shape. He seemed fascinated with my arms so I figured I would impress him with my abs. He probably weighed no more than 125 pounds dripping wet so it would have been easy to lift him with one hand.
Stronguns, there's NOTHING farfetched about your post and thanks for sharing.

I find it funny how people that fantasize about muscle or about having muscle think they're entitled to PROOF of anything outside of their (limited?) life experience. I ask you, how man large or very large and muscular men do you see in your daily lives. I'd bet very few unless you go to gym regularly and, yet, you know they're out there whether YOU see them or not because you trade in or collect their pictures all the time.

Last edited by Lucas88; January 7th, 2013 at 08:34 AM.
  #22   Add to wolverhampton's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 7th, 2013, 10:45 AM

wolverhampton is on a distinguished road
Check out from 3.35 on q and a video!

The Following User Says Thank You to wolverhampton For This Useful Post:
bbgonnabe (January 30th, 2013)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline