The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 22nd, 2006, 04:59 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Gyms in Los Angeles, Near airport?

Since members here are so good with information:

Can anyone recommend a good gym or two in Los Angeles, CA? I will be there in March for business for the better part of a week. I will be near the airport, and will NOT have a car, so I'll have to rely on taxis, etc.

The hotel facilities are fairly poor (chrome dbs up to 35# pounds, broken tunturi brand bicycles, one pathetic multifunction station machine) so I'll really want something better.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Mdlftr [...On the road again....]
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to traveller's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 22nd, 2006, 05:34 PM

traveller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlftr
Can anyone recommend a good gym or two in Los Angeles, CA? ... I will be near the airport, and will NOT have a car, so I'll have to rely on taxis, etc.
[...On the road again....]
The only gym I can recommend by experience is Gold's Gym in Venice. However, there is a 24-hr Fitness club on Century Blvd near LAX (http://www.24hourfitness.com/db/club...2&p_return=OFF), an independent club on Main Street in El Segundo (if I remember correctly) is looks like a retro gym from the 70's (http://www.bodysmartonmain.com/bs_contact.html), and a few other chain health clubs in office parks/shopping areas in El Segundo.

Hope you have a chance to workout at Gold's Venice during your stay.

traveller
  #3   Add to jdhdawg's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 23rd, 2006, 03:48 AM

jdhdawg is on a distinguished road
LAX Gym

Hey there,

I stayed at the Hilton LAX one time (on Century Blvd). They had an awesome gym right in the hotel. I believe it might have been affiliated with 24Hour Fitness at the time. Good hotel gyms are hard to find but this one certainly fit the bill.

Good luck~

JD
  #4   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 25th, 2006, 02:16 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Gyms in LA near airport

Traveller and JD<
Thanks for the suggestions and comments, guys!

JD, strangely enough, I am staying at the Hilton on Century. Last time I was there, the 'fitness' facilities' were under renovation and were practically non existent. Maybe they're finished by now and it's better. We'll see....

Traveller, The LAX Club is literally right down the street, so I'll try to check it out! Bodysmart on Main is having problems with their landlord and are being forced out of the premises, so they are probably not an option.

Thank you again for the tips! Anytime you're in the greater DC area and want a suggestion, just ask!

Mdlftr
  #5   Add to flexicon1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 24th, 2006, 06:57 PM

flexicon1
LALALA... namedropper

Hey MDL -

How's it going? Back in the late 80's (okay, this dates me rather precisely) right after I got out of college I think I belonged to the Holiday Inn's gym, since I lived in an airport neighborhood about a 15 minute walk from there. Back in the day, I seem to remember it as fairly well-equipped and well-maintained. Who knows what it's like now. You might check it out.

Of course you won't be far from Venice: a 10-15 minute cab or bus ride north on Lincoln. Muscle Beach is the whole reason I decided to go to school in LA (at LMU). If the weather's nice, you can get a day membership to the Muscle Beach pit and workout in the sunshine. Then take a walk down the boardwalk and you're almost sure to spot a Pro. When I lived there, I regularly saw Jim Quinn (traps of death and insanely vascular even completely relaxed), and occassional glimpses of the likes of Lee Priest, Greg Kovacs (even before he got freakish he was pretty freaking freakish), and tons of muscle I'd never seen in a magazine but was just as impressed by, if not moreso since it was alive and breathing. But almost just as untouchable. I also remember seeing Gregory Hines and Jeffery Goldblum at the Venice Gold's on a very regular basis. Ah memories.

Oh yeah. Hope you have a great workout, wherever you end up!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options