The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Diet & Nutrition
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Diet & Nutrition What you need to eat in order to grow.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to dallasmsl's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 11th, 2006, 05:47 AM

dallasmsl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dallasmsl
Diabetic Bodybuilders?

Are there any other Diabetic Bodybuilders on the board?

A few years ago, I was diagnosed with Diabetes, along with all the things that go along with it to include: High BP and High Cholesterol. In that time, through dramatic and drastic changes in my diet, I've eliminated the High BP and my cholesterol is at normal levels. My sugar levels are 'controlled' and I've reduced my meds by 3/4's of what was originally scripted to me.

Was wondering if any others have had this situation?

Dave.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Minotaur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 11th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Muscled Chub Club

Minotaur is on a distinguished road
I'm not a bodybuilder, I'm a powerlifter but I'm in pretty much the same boat. I was diagnosed in June with Metabolic Syndrome and insulin resistance. OK, semantics aside it's the beginnings of Type 2 diabetes. My father had Type 2. My cholesterol is normal but my trigs were sky high, LDL high and HDL low. My fasting blood glucose was elevated and my 2 hour oral glucose tolerance test showed "impaired" glucose tolerance.

Doc put me on 500 mg of metformin 2x/day. My fasting b.g. now usually averages in the 90s, fasting insulin came down to well within normal range.

As to how I handle it with workouts, I make sure I have a snack before a workout. The workout and metformin will make b.g. drop too low. I went out for a 2 mile cardio walk one night without having a snack. By the return trip I was staggering as if I was drunk. I barely made it up the driveway and into the house. I took my b.g. which was in the 70s. I also now wear a MedicAlert dogtag.

Dorothy: You really haven't grasped the concept of this gay thing yet, have you?

Blanche: There must be homosexuals who date women.

Sophia: Yeah, they're called lesbians.
  #3   Add to dallasmsl's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 12th, 2006, 03:54 AM

Sounds like you were able to catch it in time. Are you still on the 500 x2 a day?
  #4   Add to Minotaur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 12th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Muscled Chub Club

Yes, I'm still on it 2x/day. Probably for the rest of my life, because even with diet and exercise, I still had the beginnings of Type 2. And as we know, diabetes can only be managed, not cured.

Dorothy: You really haven't grasped the concept of this gay thing yet, have you?

#5   Add to dallasmsl's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 12th, 2006, 08:55 AM

True

My mother, who is also diabetic, changed her life around considerably. After about 10 years, the affects were tremendous. She now is on very minimal doses of metformin. And, before she takes a pill, she has to measure her blood to make sure it isn't already below safe levels.

I also pay for her and my father's membership at the local gym so it's not just diet alone that has caused her drastic change. She stopped smoking the day she found out she was diabetic and completely wiped out all of the wrong foods from her diet.

It is TRUE what you say that once a diabetic, always a diabetic, but the reason I asked is because diabetes can be controlled without the use of drugs. My mother, who is now 69, is living proof of that. The doctors are amazed (she's had several but the first few were quacks who told her there was no hope except to "take these pills for ever".
  #6   Add to Minotaur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 12th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Muscled Chub Club

Yes, very often you can get off the meds. I hope I can get to that point. Congratulations to your mother for her success!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options