The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences Got a friend who went from geek to stud? (Or was that YOU who got huge?) Share your real-life muscle growth experiences.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to FordTough's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 14th, 2006, 07:01 PM

FordTough is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Where to start?

Hey all - after lurking a while I've finally signed up for this forum - Basically I was wondering if anyone has some ideas on where to start in terms of training your body and, perhaps more importantly, your MIND to start a serious program of building some muscle. This has always been a dream of mine. I've always been a lanky, slim guy and I've always wanted to bulk up, or at the very least get as ripped as I can. I've done some free-weight work but never done the gym regularly. Right now I'm making a lot of lifestyle changes, have given up drinking and smoking and am just looking to get pumped, but I am totally clueless. I don't even feel like I have the vocabularly for it - I can barely tell quads from delts.

Any advice, thoughts, experiences, recommended reading and stuff like that for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to indygary's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 14th, 2006, 08:25 PM

indygary is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to indygary Send a message via Yahoo to indygary
if i had it to do all over again, i would get a trainer and learn the basics for a beginner. i wasted so much time not going anywhere with my training. your in the right area for learning. there are tons of gyms in your part of the us. do a search and ask around for a local trainer that specializes in beginners, tell him your goals, then go from there.
  #3   Add to hulkmuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 14th, 2006, 08:58 PM
OPA!

hulkmuscle
Send a message via Yahoo to hulkmuscle
In concurrence with Gary, a trainer would be a terrific help. In the meantime, read as much as you can. Find a book on beginning bodybuilding, at least so you have an idea of which muscle is which, and what exercises or kinds of exercises will work them. This will save significant time when you meet with your trainer the first few times.

Of the magazines out there, most of them are useless for beginners with the exception of IronMan, which does have useful information for average people starting out in bodybuilding, and possibly Men's Fitness.

Good luck!
Just a piece of sky?

The Follies of Greg
  #4   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 14th, 2006, 09:17 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
I'm with Hulk,...

...Ironman has traditionally had a"cut to the chase"attitude when it comes to training instruction.I do think that trainers are a bit overrated.Most gyms USED to include some basic start-up instruction with a new membership.After that,it's about your drive,research,&a whole lotta up down,up down.As for your MIND!Get your ass in the gym on a consistent basis&the mind will follow!This shit doesn't only work in one direction!
  #5   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 18th, 2006, 02:10 AM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
I'm with Glamm

Yeah, you need to get to the gym regularly for it to take as a part of your routine. You need to go every day for two weeks in the beginning, or after a long lay-off. Even if it's just to use the hot-tub. Just go, and the rest will follow. Also, ask good questions here, and investingate other sites as well.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options