The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Diet & Nutrition
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Diet & Nutrition What you need to eat in order to grow.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 2.47 average. Display Modes
  #1   Add to muscleted18's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 1st, 2006, 07:22 PM

muscleted18
Send a message via Yahoo to muscleted18
Vitamins

Hey guys, i take Mega Man vitamins from GNC each day. They tell me to take 2 daily. Although when i do that, my piss turns a bright bright yellow, and i know its not from dehydration, im pretty sure its me pissing away most of those nutrients in the pills. I also notice that when i only take one, i dont have neon radio active yellow piss. I looked at the nutrition facts on the back of the bottle and the surving size is 2 pills. and then everything is like 200% of the daily requirements. Does anyone agree with me that taking 2 a day is only said so you go through the pills faster and buy more? im not sure two a day are needed. Anyone have any input on this?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to hulkmuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:03 PM
OPA!

hulkmuscle
Send a message via Yahoo to hulkmuscle
The US RDA for vitamins is for average, sedentary folks, not us rip-snortin' bodybuildin' types. Likewise, certain vitamins, particularly B & C, doesn't stay in your system long, necessitating either multiple doses throughout the day or a sustained release formula. The yellow pee comes from the C.

To aid recovery, vitamin C & E are recommended, while the B's, magnesium, and potassium are crucial for energy. "Male" vitamins also usually include some for of luteine and/or ginseng for "performance" purposes.

I'm not a fan of GNC, way too overpriced for me. I'd recommend either Vitamin Shoppe or Puritan's Pride. I'm currently taking Puritan Pride's Mega Vita-Min, w sustained release tablet that includes, among other things:

Vitamin C 417% (I also take an extra 500mg of C after workouts)
B1 5333%
B6 4000%
B12 1333% (if I take No-Xplode in addition, the B12 component is something like 10000%)
Just a piece of sky?

The Follies of Greg
  #3   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:13 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
B-complex...

...will also give you canary-yellow pee.Not neccessarily a bad thing.There's no need to take both pills at the same time.I have observed that if you are taking DHEA;the neon-piss stops(?)
  #4   Add to muscleted18's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:28 PM

muscleted18
what exactly is DHEA? ive heard it mentioned many times but never asked anyone what it is.
  #5   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 3rd, 2006, 01:12 PM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
My thinking is that vitamins are cheap, and don't do harm, so take the stated amount. If you are paying too much for the branding, then shop around. I like to get mine at Trader Joe's. As someone stated earlier, the neon yellow is from B-vitamins. It also gives your pee a distinctive scent. This is normal.

As for DHEA, I'm not sure what it is, bit I really think it helps me.
  #6   Add to muscleted18's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 4th, 2006, 09:34 AM

muscleted18
ok so how about this one....the bottle says i can take them one of two ways.....

1) both at the same time

&

2) one at seprate times of the day, such as with breakfast and then again with lunch or dinner or my afternoon snack

anyone have any opinions on which works best?

Brent- I've done some reading on the DHEA and there are very mixed results on it working and not working, what exactly do you think it does for you?
  #7   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 4th, 2006, 01:26 PM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
Your body can only store several vitamins for a set number of hours. So I'd say at two separate times.

Being in my mid 30's, I think DHEA gives me the energy I had in my early 20's. I don't think you need it yet, but think about it one day.
  #8   Add to hulkmuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 4th, 2006, 07:18 PM
OPA!

hulkmuscle
Send a message via Yahoo to hulkmuscle
<---agrees with brent
Just a piece of sky?

The Follies of Greg
  #9   Add to anrikero's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 26th, 2007, 10:21 PM

anrikero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to anrikero
Talking Regarding Vitamins

Hello everybody,

Regarding vitamins this is what I do:

I take 1 tablet of Centrum and 1 tablet of 500 mg of vitamine C in the morning when I get up.

Centrum = multivitamin complex.
Vitamine C = antioxidant.

In the night, before bed I take 300 mg of Magnesium, 50 mg of Zinc and 400IU of vitamine E

Magnesium = promotes
muscle strength and endurance

Zinc = promotes healing, tissue repair, and muscle growth

Vitamine E = it is a potent antioxidant. reduces the risk of coronary disease and cancer. And.... improves the appearance of your skin (more silky, more even, helps in treatment of acne scars,etc..)

This regime has been beneficial for me.
  #10   Add to inm's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 8th, 2010, 12:49 AM

inm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to inm
Vit d is getting new attention now, with many authorities realizing that the RDA is the bare necessity for survival; realistic numbers now hover around the 2000 IU and even up to 5000 by some experts. the sun does create it, but that requires 1-2 hours of full body exposure.
I've also read the B group helps the cardiovascular system, and I dont need to read anything to know the value of C, especially when I'm run-down and tired, of feeling a cold creeping on me, 1-2g of it boosts the immune system.

(I'm no doctor, so do not use the above as recommendation . Just stuff I've read and believe).
  #11   Add to FuzzyKB's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 10th, 2010, 02:53 AM

FuzzyKB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscleted18 View Post
Hey guys, i take Mega Man vitamins from GNC each day. They tell me to take 2 daily. Although when i do that, my piss turns a bright bright yellow, and i know its not from dehydration, im pretty sure its me pissing away most of those nutrients in the pills. I also notice that when i only take one, i dont have neon radio active yellow piss. I looked at the nutrition facts on the back of the bottle and the surving size is 2 pills. and then everything is like 200% of the daily requirements. Does anyone agree with me that taking 2 a day is only said so you go through the pills faster and buy more? im not sure two a day are needed. Anyone have any input on this?
[COLOR="LemonChiffon"]
The people selling this stuff do not know enough about it to be any kind of authority. The bright yellow urine is the Vitamin B-12 spilling and this is normal. When you take vitamins and are doing a great deal of exercise this is in fact a guideline. There are several things you will notice. The first is the bright yellow. This is not concentrated urine as in dehydration but instead the percentage of the single vitamin that you are not using. B's are water soluble so they spill easily and in some ways this is an indicator that you were already doing quite well on your nutrition. Also you will notice a more pungent odor from the urine and this too is normal when taking this kind of supplement. When you want to worry is when you are taking this kind of thing and you have urine that does not change. That would mean that you were badly depleted and that your body is utilizing everything. Remember when using mega dose vitamins to drink a great deal of water to flush your kidneys as much as possible. Most bodybuilders do that anyway, but it is still a good thing to remind. [/COLOR]
  #12   Add to Vallance's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 10th, 2010, 08:46 AM

Vallance is on a distinguished road
I like how everyone is giving their own definition of what a vitamin is... lol. But here's my 2 cents, lol! From what I've learned from my pharmacokinetic classes, megadosing most water soluble vitamins (Vitamins B +C) is useless, you're just making expensive urine from it. Your body can't handle all the vitamin, so it excretes it out.
  #13   Add to hrdcoach's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 20th, 2010, 08:36 AM

hrdcoach is on a distinguished road
You likely have a point GNC is a business and they want to maximize sales so see how you feel when you take just one.
  #14   Add to hulkjackson's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 6th, 2011, 02:23 PM

hulkjackson is on a distinguished road
hulkjackson

I have tried various types of multivitamins that you can purchase at grocery stores but none work as well as the Dr Max Powers MultiVitamin.

Most athletes have a higher requirement of vitamins and minerals. As a result, they need a product that can meet this requirement. The Dr Max MultiVitamin keeps me energized throughout my day and I have noticed much better gains and a shorter recovery time. Although they are expensive for the amount of servings you get, this product is the only one I have used that lives up to its claim.

One thing I would suggest all users to remember is to drink tons of water. The more nutrients you consume the more water you should drink. This product is loaded with nutrients and there is a possibility of dehydration if you are not consuming enough water.
  #15   Add to FRNKPBDY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 24th, 2011, 08:23 PM

FRNKPBDY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FRNKPBDY
Vitamins

Hey folks--FYI DHEA is a 19-carbon endogenous--made in the body--steroid. It's the major secretory steroidal product of the adrenal glands and is also produced by the testes and brain. DHEA is the most abundant circulating steroid in humans.

DHEA has a broad range of effects in people. It acts on the androgen receptor to increase production of the androgen testosterone and the estrogens, including estrone, estradiol, and estriol. DHEA is also a potent sigma-1 agonist. The sigma-1 receptor is a protein expressed in many different tissue types. It's particularly concentrated in certain regions of the central nervous system and has effects on cardiovascular function, schizophrenia, clinical depression, the effects of cocaine abuse, and cancer. DHEA is considered a neurosteroid.

An interesting note--some studies have shown that supplementation in aging women (not men) using high doses of DHEA led to induction of an anabolic growth factor, increased muscle strength and lean body mass, activated immune function, and enhanced quality of life. However, a placebo-controlled trial found that DHEA supplementation in younger men had no statistically significant effect on lean body mass, strength, or testosterone levels.

Hope this helps!

Frank
  #16   Add to Spotman's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 9th, 2011, 02:28 AM

Spotman is on a distinguished road
I am also using multivitamins named "Epivite" and I am also worried about the dark yellow urine but my doctor told me not to be worried its a normal thing after taking these multivitamins. And I have very good result after using these multivitamins.
  #17   Add to monstermusclebe's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 13th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Markus

monstermusclebe is on a distinguished road
Get Your Vitamins from Whole Food Sources

In the research I've done, I've found a lot of evidence that says that vitamins taken ~ disconnected from the food sources they came from ~ may provide little support to the body, and are in many cases damaging to the body. Vitamins and other non-food (such as pills/drugs) are highly acidic, and most people's diets are already highly acidic. This is not good for the body.

I'm definitely in the camp of the others here recommending lots of vegetables, fruits and milk.

I emulsify my vegetables twice a day, using kale, collard greens, beets (with their leaves), and/or dandelion greens in the mix, along with a whole-fruit alkalinized-balanced powder from HealthForce Nutritionals called "Fruits of the Earth.", some stevia for sweetness, and the juice from 1/2 a lemon (small amounts of lemon juice are actually alkalizing in the body). Takes like a fruit shake, but it's nearly all alkalizing vegetables with plenty of vitamins.

I personally only drink raw milk, as I get sick from the pasteurized stuff and think it's pretty much a poison, akin to soda but with some dead protein and/or dead fat in it. Sorry if that sounds overly dramatic. Raw whole milk on the other hand is filled with nutrients and powerful immune factors (mostly found in the fat). I personally love milk, as it makes preparing my meals throughout the day so much easier: just pour a glass of milk! Raw milk is the perfect food for bodybuilders.

I do take a pill ~ an Omega-3 supplement ~ daily, but it too comes from a whole food source.

I further recommend that, if you can afford it and can find it, that you obtain 100% grass fed beef and pasture raised chicken, instead of the standard fare. Beef is not generally known to contain Omega-3s, and the science shows that most beef does not contain significant amounts of omega-3s. But beef that is 100% grass fed has lots of omega-3s in it. What's different? The diet the cows eat. Grass is much, much better for them, and they pass that difference on to us in the beef we eat.

Bottom line: the wholer the food ~ the more organic, the more raw, the more natural ~ the better it will be for you, and the better it will help you grow.
brutus (April 16th, 2013)
  #18   Add to Cayden's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 20th, 2013, 02:49 AM

Cayden is on a distinguished road
Well Vitamins and minerals, have been extremely important for all people
because of the fact, that these all are useful for body in terms of
development of cells. There are number of vitamins which have own their
role, for health and body's improvement.I have very good result after using vitamins.
  #19   Add to madeleine's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 25th, 2013, 11:32 AM

madeleine is on a distinguished road
Well....
There are fat-soluble and water-soluble vitamins. Fat-soluble vitamins are stored in the fat tissues of our bodies, as well as the liver. Fat-soluble vitamins are easier to store than water-soluble ones, and can stay in the body as reserves for days, some of them for months.
  #20   Add to rachelle66321's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 4th, 2013, 10:59 PM

rachelle66321 is on a distinguished road
Vitamins play a vital part in the working of different techniques inside the figure. They capacities as cancer prevention agents, fills in as go betweens for cell regulation, tissue development and separation.
  #21   Add to brutus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 16th, 2013, 12:57 PM

brutus is on a distinguished road
I have to agree with the whole foods idea. Fruits & vegetables have tens of thousands of vitamins, co-enzymes, minerals. bioflavinoids, and other phytonutrients that we have found, and there are probably many times that many. Synthetic vitamins do little to help because they are just a part of an interdependent chain. I like to blend up whatever vegetables are in season in my Vitamix, and make soup at least once a day to be sure I am getting lots of micro-nutrients. However, I am lucky to live in Las Vegas: we have organic farms, farmer's markets in the city, and a sunny climate with a long growing season. I am quite sure that most people out there can find markets that carry a good selection of vegetables year-round, and any juicer, or high-powered blender will do!
  #22   Add to Adlen's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 5th, 2013, 12:28 AM

Adlen is on a distinguished road
According to my knowledge you should follow a healthy diet plan not such vitamins. Because these have some side effects. That is the main cause of disease in the future. If you really need to take it then must concern a personal trainer who guide you better than another.
  #23   Add to AlbertJohnSmith's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 23rd, 2013, 12:25 AM

AlbertJohnSmith is on a distinguished road
To grow that proper amount of nutrition along with the vitamins and minerals is essential for the body. Easy rules to eating healthy is the thread of interest that will make your body healthy and will make you have the good skin instead.
  #24   Add to aloramackenzie's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 1st, 2013, 01:14 AM

aloramackenzie is on a distinguished road
DHEA Supplements

DHEA supplements are used by some people who believe they can improve sex drive, build muscle, fight the effects of aging, and improve some health conditions. But there isn't much evidence for many of these claims. And the supplements have some risks.
Here's a rundown of what science actually knows about DHEA supplements and what you need to know about their safety.
What Is DHEA?

DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone) is a hormone produced by your body's adrenal glands. These are glands just above your kidneys.
DHEA supplements can be made from wild yam or soy.
Scientists don't know everything DHEA does. But they do know that it functions as a precursor to male and female sex hormones, including testosterone and estrogen. Precursors are substances that are converted by the body into a hormone.
DHEA production peaks in your mid-20s. In most people production gradually declines with age.
Testosterone and estrogen production also generally declines with age. DHEA supplements can increase the level of these hormones. That's why a number of claims have been made about their potential health benefits.
Those claims range from benefits such as:
  • Building up the adrenal gland
  • Strengthening the immune system
  • Slowing natural changes in the body that come with age
  • Providing more energy
  • Improving mood and memory
  • Building up muscle strength
DHEA Supplements for Anti-Aging

Since DHEA levels decline with age, some researchers speculate that supplementing your body's falling levels of the hormone might help fight aging. And some small studies have reported positive anti-aging effects from the use of DHEA supplements. But a similar number of studies have reported just the opposite.
According to the National Institute on Aging as well as the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, there is not enough scientific evidence to support the idea that DHEA can affect how fast you age.
Both agencies report that little is known about the effect of long-term use of DHEA. And there is some concern that continued use of DHEA supplements could be harmful.
The Following User Says Thank You to aloramackenzie For This Useful Post:
cscpttrainer (January 3rd, 2014)
  #25   Add to Akcent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 22nd, 2013, 11:22 PM

Akcent is on a distinguished road
thanks a lot.....

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text