The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Watch Me Grow
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Watch Me Grow Discuss your own personal muscle goals and document your bodybuilding progress, including gains in size and strength and also get encouragement from others.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to Leminnes's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 8th, 2006, 06:42 PM

Leminnes is on a distinguished road
Lem Progress Log

Well, I've got some very good news. I am now offically part of gym and am going to start working out. I've been wanting to do this for about 2 years and I finally did it. So, my mom works at this college where I live and her family can go to the gym for free but my mom had forgotten to put me into the Family "packet" type thing (For some reason she only put in my father.) So I finally got her to go to the "Wellness Center" and get me an ID and a membership to the gym so now I can go whenever I want. I hope that this will turn out well.

Since I am still a senior in High School I have to go there with an adult over 21. If I were 19 I could go alone. Anyway, so ever Monday and Wednesday when my mom is teacher her photography class I'm going to go to the gym with my dad and work out as much as I can.

So, to give you the general idea of what I look like, I am 18 years old and look 16 (mostly because of my musculature but not because of my height.) I am 6 foot 4 inches and 150 pounds, just bordering on underweight. This is defiantely not because I eat to much, I eat a lot, but because of my extremely fast metabolism. I have never measured my biceps or anything like that but I know there isn't much there. I have no abs, no pecs, or anything of that kind but, although my upper body almost literally doesn't exist my lower body, legs in general, is very developed because I love to run but running doesn't do much to the upper body as much as I'd like.

Anyway, I'll be working out and giving the updates here. I'll try to do one ever Monday and Wednesday starting next Monday. When I have the time I'll measure my biceps and such but it's not something to wait for. Hopefully I won't be a hard gainer. I've never worked out a day in my life, besides running, so I have no idea how well I gain muscle but I really hope it will be easier then some other people.

Yeah, ever Monday and Wednesday. I'll have to remind myself. So, if you have any tips for a beginner, like me, you can post them here to help me. Like what I should start of first, things like that. I really want to work on my arms the most though because I have amazingly huge hands but really small wrists... it looks awkward. After that would be pecs then abs. And back but that will hopefully come with everything else. So, yeah, if you could post some tips it would be great. Thanks everyone and I look forward for the support.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to hulkmuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 8th, 2006, 07:38 PM
OPA!

hulkmuscle
Send a message via Yahoo to hulkmuscle
Congratulations on joining the ranks, Leminnes. I hear you completely. 6'1 135 when I finished college. I doubt I was even that in high school. Contact me if you need some pointers, but I suggest trying to read as much as you can. Educate yourself. There are some useful websites such as bodybuilding.com, and exrx.net, both of which should give you ideas on basic beginner routines. The latter's especially helpful for figuring out how to perform specific exercises. As far as magazines, I'd consider IronMan for someone just starting out. As far as books, I suggest looking for those by Steve Holman or Stuart McRobert.

Good luck!
Just a piece of sky?

The Follies of Greg
  #3   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 8th, 2006, 08:52 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
Just a few tips....

...take measurements about every 3 mos.Don't discourage yourself by checking any closer than that.Also;taller people with longer limbs tend to benefit from more DUMBBELL than BARBELL work!Doesn't mean you shouldn't try to lift heavy.The effort to control the force from the CENTER of your body is beneficial(Believe me,2 40lb.DBs.weigh more than 1 80lb.barbell!)
  #4   Add to Leminnes's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 9th, 2006, 01:38 PM

Thanks both of you. I'll do my best to follow your advice and try to get measurements soon. I'll try to get them when I go home today.
  #5   Add to omelissokomos's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 9th, 2006, 05:29 PM
The Bee Keeper

omelissokomos has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to omelissokomos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leminnes
I'll try to get them when I go home today.
Don't forget them pics like we talked about. They're great to keep around if only for yourself, and do 'em like how g suggested: every 3 months ought to be good.

Welcome aboard Leminnes.
  #6   Add to Leminnes's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 9th, 2006, 06:40 PM

Well, here are my stats... sad really but anyway...

Height: 6 Foot 4 Inches
Weight: 152 Pounds
Bicep: 10 Inches
Forearm: 8 Inches
Chest: 36 Inches
Stomach: 31 Inches
Waist: 33 Inches
Thigh: 36 Inches
Calf: 14 Inches

I'm not sure if they are perfectly correct but I couldn't find a very good tape measure. So anyway, yeah.
  #7   Add to Leminnes's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 9th, 2006, 06:49 PM

Need to fix one thing... my thigh is 18 inches. If a mod could fix that it would be nice... or open the editing button which would be nicer.
  #8   Add to Leminnes's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 13th, 2006, 03:23 PM

Man, I'm pissed. I was supposed to go to the gym today for the first time and because of my father we're not going because he is "sick." God, that pisses me off. If anything we could go there and he could watch... anything. But no... now I have to wait until wednesday. I walk up to him and ask him if we are going to the gym today and he looks at me like I am an idiot and say "No, I'm sick." And I just walked away. I'm not exactly sure what to say when I am that angry and if I do say something I am sure it wouldn't be good.
  #9   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 13th, 2006, 09:14 PM

glammaman2000
Talking You're still living at home....

...or dependent on your parents for a ride?Then you have to bite your tongue.Of course they get on your nerves.I'm sure sometimes the reverse is true.Once you're on your own these annoyances will seem minor.If life hands you leminnes;make leminnade!
  #10   Add to hulkmuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 13th, 2006, 09:27 PM
OPA!

hulkmuscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by glammaman2000
If life hands you leminnes;make leminnade!
Oy...
Just a piece of sky?

The Follies of Greg
  #11   Add to Leminnes's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 14th, 2006, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glammaman2000
...or dependent on your parents for a ride?Then you have to bite your tongue.Of course they get on your nerves.I'm sure sometimes the reverse is true.Once you're on your own these annoyances will seem minor.If life hands you leminnes;make leminnade!
No, it's not that. Yes, I am dependent on my dad but he also has to be there at the gym when I am there. Because I am still am not out of High School yet though won't let me go there without someone over 21 years old and that so happens to be my dad.
  #12   Add to Leminnes's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 15th, 2006, 02:22 PM

Will someone turn on the edit please... Anyway, not going today either. My dad has started taking Yoga. *sighs* I'm not sure if this is ever going to happen.
  #13   Add to ashleydelfin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 15th, 2006, 06:26 PM
=^^=

ashleydelfin has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to ashleydelfin Send a message via Yahoo to ashleydelfin
DUDE! If you want your dad to take you to the gym you have to show some enthusiasm! Tell him you want to go, often. Bug him about it. If he sees that you're just giving up on the idea he'll be all like: "well, he didn't want to go in the first place". So you have to INSIST! ok? Tell him you don't want yoga (although I like yoga, it is fun), you want to work out.

And if he won't take you, tell him you'd want some weights or something.

*hugs*
~Ashley
  #14   Add to Leminnes's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 15th, 2006, 07:05 PM

Trust me, I have. He just doesn't seem to care. It's really sad how this progress thread really has no progress in it. BAH! o-o
  #15   Add to Leminnes's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 21st, 2006, 12:16 PM

Finally went to the gym yesterday. I would say it was somewhat successful. I mostly used machines to work out and I need to learn more on how to use dumbells but I'll do it sometime. Anyway, obviously no change yet just wanted people to know I went today.
  #16   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 21st, 2006, 06:38 PM

glammaman2000
Wink ...well,GREAT!

MAYBE you can make some friends at the gym;communicate that working out is really important to you&come up with an alternative(over21)ride for when your Dad flakes out!
  #17   Add to hulkmuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 21st, 2006, 07:04 PM
OPA!

hulkmuscle
Congrats on your first time. I remember my first gym workout: I was 22, a senior in college: skinny, awkward, but dang, I had a sense of purpose. I bought a velour track suit (!) and walked into Brookline Fitness in Boston armed with a copy of Muscle & Fitness. I tried pretty much every machine once, most of them on the lowest weight you could used and I think I was paralyzed for a day or two afterward. I'm sure I looked ridiculous but I guess I had blind faith back then: that's a gift of youth. So keep going back, keep learning, and in time, maybe even just a few weeks, you'll start to notice something miraculous and wonderful is happening.
Just a piece of sky?

The Follies of Greg
  #18   Add to Leminnes's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 21st, 2006, 07:14 PM

I still wish someone would enable edit on this damn thing. Anyway, yeah I went there but most of the guys there are 1. In college, 2. About 3 years older then me, and 3. My dad is there. I've never really gotten along with people who work out all the time anyway, actually it might be that I avoid them... yeah, that's probably it. :P Anyway, I won't go this wed. because my dad has yoga AGAIN... o-o I hope working out only Monday will make something happen. I wish I could go everyday though.
  #19   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 21st, 2006, 10:06 PM

glammaman2000
Being older....

...I tend to dislike any expression by kids of hostility towards their parents.But I sincerely hope that your father's pursuit of yoga does not enable him to SHOVE HIS HEAD ANY FURTHER UP HIS ASS THAN IT IS NOW!You're his KID!Working out 1day a week will ensure that you are sore all the time;but it beats nothing.Post something on the bulletin board!I NEED A RIDE,please!If it's important to you,you will find a way.(builds character)g.
  #20   Add to Leminnes's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 22nd, 2006, 01:14 PM

I have no hostility towards my parents, I love them.... they just drive me crazy sometimes and my dad is on the "Drive me crazy" side more often then not. >.> And actually, I am really sore right now... mostly the underside of my elbows. It hurts really bad to extend my arm out all the way. I hope that goes away.
  #21   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 22nd, 2006, 05:35 PM

glammaman2000
Aspirin helps,.....

...&plenty of water.Light stretching;morning&before bed.&NOT WAITING TOO LONG UNTIL THE NEXT WORKOUT!You'll heal faster if you continue to exercise.If you wait too long;you'll be"starting over"every time.Tell your Father.
  #22   Add to Leminnes's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 24th, 2006, 03:31 PM

I went again yesterday! I conviced my father to go and we worked out for about 45 minutes. I'm not sore at all anymore like I was before by I now have a really bad sunburn (Long story... >.>) Obviously, there is no real physical change yet... oh, and on that note, I was just wondering: On adverage how long does it usually take to see some changes if I am working about about 2 hours in total each week? Just an estimate, I know it is different for everyone, I'm just wondering. And thanks for all the support, you guy! ^_^
  #23   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 24th, 2006, 06:59 PM

glammaman2000
After you get over the initial soreness...

...you can expect noticeable change about every 3mo.;if you're training consistently.Sometimes it seems like nothing,nothing,nothing...bam!You should overhaul your routine every3mo.,too.DURING a 3mo.period;keep the routine the same&concentrate on using GRADUALLY more weight.
  #24   Add to Leminnes's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 3rd, 2006, 05:37 PM

I have noticed a little bit more definition in my arms but at this moment it doesn't seem like anything is changing. I just hope it's moving so slow that I'm not noticing but my upper body still looks like it belongs to a pre-teen... blah. I hope that goes away soon. It's been about a month now.
  #25   Add to buffdoc's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 3rd, 2006, 08:32 PM

buffdoc
Send a message via Yahoo to buffdoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leminnes
I have noticed a little bit more definition in my arms but at this moment it doesn't seem like anything is changing. I just hope it's moving so slow that I'm not noticing but my upper body still looks like it belongs to a pre-teen... blah. I hope that goes away soon. It's been about a month now.
To accelerate gains, you also need to optimize post-work out nutrition. This is key to helping u bulk up faster. Try 2 scoops of protein powder (roughly 50 grams of protein) in 2.5 cups of 1% skim milk as a start. Without sufficient calories, you will not grow.
  #26   Add to Leminnes's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 6th, 2006, 06:47 PM

I almost freaked out today. I had walked into my bathroom to take a shower and I didn't have a shirt on. The light was off in the bathroom so the light from the window was shining through softly and I looked into the mirror and I could see some definition in my upper body. It almost took me off gaurd. I'm just really happy I'm stating to see things happening even though they are small.
  #27   Add to omelissokomos's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 6th, 2006, 07:26 PM
The Bee Keeper

omelissokomos has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to omelissokomos
It's a great feeling, ain't it? And, believe me, there'll be more to come.
  #28   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 6th, 2006, 08:32 PM

glammaman2000
You're young,...

...your body responds quickly!I'm happy to hear you're getting the best encouragement of all:RESULTS! Caution:the bigger you get,the harder it is to get bigger.Congratulations!I sense you really want it!
  #29   Add to hulkmuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 6th, 2006, 09:37 PM
OPA!

hulkmuscle
Congrats on seeing signs of progress. They don't always come quickly, but persistance pays off.
Just a piece of sky?

The Follies of Greg
  #30   Add to ashleydelfin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 7th, 2006, 10:59 PM
=^^=

ashleydelfin has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to ashleydelfin Send a message via Yahoo to ashleydelfin
Hey! Congrats! =^^= Hopefully this is just the beginning of some big changes!

(Get it? "Big" changes? Oh, the wit! -_-*)

Keep at it, and next it'll be others freaking out when they see you!
  #31   Add to jcnutt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 12th, 2007, 03:42 PM

jcnutt has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to jcnutt Send a message via Yahoo to jcnutt
So Lem, anything new to post?? It has been a while.. wonder if you got huge

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size