The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > Muscle Growth Media > Morphs & Artwork
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Morphs & Artwork Post your morphs and muscle-growth artwork here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #121   Add to Absman420's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 26th, 2006, 02:05 PM

Absman420 is on a distinguished road
New Brad Hollibaugh!

Okay, so before I show you my latest, I want to talk about it a little. I'm working on another shot of Brad Hollibaugh (one of my favorite bb's). I was brave enough to send my last one (of him) to him, not expecting a reply, but he shot right back about how much he liked it and gave me permission to draw him any time I liked. Me being me, I set to work right away.

And here it is, in contour, ready for shading -- you'll clearly see my shade indicators. Now, before anybody says anything, understand that this piece will be in heavy contrast, deep shadows cross this pic, one in particular blocking the right side of his face. Naturally, I didn't waste time drawing features we won't see in the finished work, so his face looks unbalanced -- one eye, etc. -- but suffer it for now, the finished piece will make much more sense.

This is also the largest pic I've done, and it barely fit on my scanner. This reduction does it little justice. It fills the space on a 9"x12" page.

Anyway, here he is:

Let me know what you think.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #122   Add to nypup2train's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 27th, 2006, 07:10 AM

nypup2train is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to nypup2train Send a message via Yahoo to nypup2train
Nice Hollibaugh sketch, so far... looking forward to the finished! I think I've seen your source photo (if you are working from a specific photo), the pose/image looks familiar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absman420
This is also the largest pic I've done, and it barely fit on my scanner. This reduction does it little justice. It fills the space on a 9"x12" page.
Should you ever want to go larger, do you have a digital camera? We'll probably suffer through digital copies shot with a reasonable-megapixel camera on a tripod without bitching too much, especially if it means you'll be producing larger finished work for possible display/acquisition.

But cut us off because you can't scan the drawings, and you'd better hope that Acme Sidewalk Chalk Set can really be used to draw a working manhole cover you can use to escape Wile E. Coyote-style when the angry mob comes storming your gates!
  #123   Add to Absman420's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 27th, 2006, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nypup2train
I think I've seen your source photo (if you are working from a specific photo), the pose/image looks familiar.
You probably have -- it's pretty popular, certainly one of my favorites. It's a simple shot of Brad leaning back against a door while a light shines directly down on him from above. You can see his kitchen in the background, so it's hardly a professional picture, but none of that ever mattered to me. Woof!

Quote:
if it means you'll be producing finished work for possible display/acquisition.
Acquisition, I hope! And I'm anxious to sell! As a matter of fact, I had kind of an epiphany yesterday on this subject while in the shower (the source of all my best ideas).

At first I was hoping to publish a coffee table book of art, or do something web-based where a buyer could download a print for a fee. But then I realized that since I've scanned and saved all my CONTOUR versions of these drawings (pre-shading), I could simply use them as templates and create an original for a buyer rather than a print. Using templates, the art could be any size and any media -- it would even allow me the option of color (with which I've only experimented briefly in this series).

Besides, the shading is my favorite part of rendering a drawing. It's like painting with lead. (Maybe that's not such a great analogy.) Still, I think the idea is sound.

Quote:
But [don't] cut us off because you can't scan the drawings...
Don't worry -- I haven't gone bigger than 9"x12" yet. I mean, I'm happy to do it if a piece demands it (or an investor), but I'm comfortable working at this size. Brad just happens to fill the page (as I bet he would in real life, too.)
  #124   Add to Absman420's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 29th, 2006, 09:46 AM

SUBJ: Details, Devil in the

Been working on the new drawing and as usual, amazed at the way it's progressing. Caused me to do an interesting self-study. Please, allow me to share:

First, here's a detail of the subject's head from the contour layout:

Now, after working most of the day yesterday on it, here's the same shot from the fully rendered work:

Different, eh? Even more so than I expected. Something I've noticed, though I try hard to make a drawing "look like" the person/ pic/ whatever, eventually, the drawing takes on a life of its own, and I find myself making decisions that would best suit the DRAWING rather than the inspiration.

To illustrate how much that's true, here's the same view of the original work:

Different, eh? I've almost stepped away from Brad Hollibaugh to create my OWN version of him.

Will post the finished work on Monday.
  #125   Add to MATUREMUSCLE's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 29th, 2006, 12:04 PM

MATUREMUSCLE is on a distinguished road
YOU are an excellent artist. Thanks
  #126   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 29th, 2006, 09:52 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
&a GROWING artist!

At some point,you have to let the(pen,pastel,oil,charcoal,watercolor,ink,marker, chalk)do what IT wants to do!GREAT when the picture takes possession of you!That's what technique is FOR!
  #127   Add to Absman420's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 30th, 2006, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glammaman2000
...you have to let the(pen,pastel,oil,charcoal,watercolor,ink,marker, chalk)do what IT wants to do!GREAT when the picture takes possession of you!
Really glad to hear someone else say that -- it confirms my own thoughts -- largely uneducated about art/technique, so always happy to stumble onto a Universal Truth! lol

Honestly, I'm so anxious for you guys to see this new one of BH fully rendered. I finished the abs/torso yesterday -- tricky at best -- definitely the most difficult part of the drawing -- and I spent most of last evening simply staring at it, AMAZED at how it looks! I've been working on "reverse-shading" -- (NEGATIVE shading?) -- highlighting within shadows, etc -- and I think I've got it largely figured out.

Doing the arms today and probably the legs tomorrow or Sunday, depending on the weather and my biking schedule. Will definitely post on Monday. Curious to see what BRAD'S going to think of it, especially since I departed from doing an out-and-out portrait... (And departed so quickly and willingly... sigh... the same way I'd submit sexually to Brad, I suppose.)
  #128   Add to deetrakt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 30th, 2006, 04:10 AM

deetrakt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absman420
Curious to see what BRAD'S going to think of it, especially since I departed from doing an out-and-out portrait... (And departed so quickly and willingly... sigh... the same way I'd submit sexually to Brad, I suppose.)
Funny you should mention the "client" issue, but from what I've seen you've caught his essence, which should make him plenty happy.

Anyway, you could always say that you were forced to submit to an even more powerful master: Art. (Quite a showdown: Brad vs. Art. We might need someone like Caravaggio to do justice to THAT tussle!)
  #129   Add to Absman420's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 30th, 2006, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetrakt
Quite a showdown: Brad vs. Art.
I'm fairly confident that Brad could out-flex any of the Old Masters, including the Impressionists. (Frankly, he makes much more of an impression on me than Renoir ever did...)
  #130   Add to Absman420's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 2nd, 2006, 06:52 AM

Closing This Thread!

Well, my friends, I just finished my latest -- #17 of Brad Hollibaugh -- this morning, after nearly three days of rendering! Yesterday I had to stop because after so many hours, my eyes were so tired and I couldn't focus on it anymore -- but boy, isn't it great when you're in "the zone" and the Art is just flowing?

But it's done. And with that said, it's time to announce that BECAUSE it's done, I'm officially CLOSING THIS THREAD!!!

Now... pick yourself up off the floor. Relax. Breathe. Everything's gonna be okay -- the world's not coming to an end. Let me explain.

Basically, I don't feel like I'm doing "Rough Pencil Sketches" anymore, so the title of the thread is a misnomer. And considering the breakthrough I think I've made upon the completion of my most recent work, I think it's time to start something new. So, when I post #17 tomorrow (Monday), I'm going to do it on a new threadline under the title of my artistic psuedonym:

Tom of Maryland

That's right! That lovely pun will be the title of my new art thread with the same old crap and commentary. But don't worry -- within that thread I'll post a retrospective of all of the drawings leading up to the switch.

See you there! Eleven-thousand views on this thread! AMAZING!! Thank you so much for your interest and support -- and comments! It means so much to me! Peace!
The Following User Says Thank You to Absman420 For This Useful Post:
poisonivy (August 9th, 2013)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode