The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > General
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
  #1   Add to hexdog3f8h's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 19th, 2013, 06:04 PM

hexdog3f8h is on a distinguished road
Where do you start...

Okay, I would be one of the first to admit that I am not the healthiest of people on this board. I would probably consider myself to be disappointing to a lot of people here. But I want to change that.

The problem? Where to begin?

I know a lot more about muscle and fitness since I have been visiting this board (for a few years now), probably more than the average person now.

I was one of those kids in high school who was picked on somewhat. I always felt my place was not in the gym. Anytime I did get into a gym, I felt very intimidated by just being there. I did however manage a semi-regular workout schedule for a few months in college with a buddy then. But as homework got more intense and schedules started to mis-match it kinda fell apart. I have not really been to a gym since then. I don't have any friends that work out or would be able to guide me and in a way, get my mind off being intimidated.

How could I go about beginning to shrug the intimidation and self-imposed embarrassment? What did you do if you have been in my position before? Am I the only one who feels this way about a gym?

I also wonder what the big guys on this board would think if someone like me were to ask for guidance or to be a workout buddy?

I know some would read this and probably say "get over yourself." And that's fine. I consider it an honest and valid opinion. Maybe I DO need to just go and get over it.

Thoughts?

Last edited by hexdog3f8h; February 19th, 2013 at 06:07 PM. Reason: incomplete thought
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Bigm999's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 19th, 2013, 06:37 PM

Bigm999 is on a distinguished road
LOL. I AM one of the guys most likely to say "get over yourself", but ill try to be a bit more constructive.

1) if it helps, I can guarantee the other guys at the gym don't care about you. I mean that in a positive way. They are there to train and build themselves. Sometimes to be a bit social. Sometimes to check people out (women and/or men). They aren't concerned with what you're up to or what you're doing. As long as you're not being stupid, rude, or in the way you're not on their mind. So any 'intimidation' you feel is all in your head. I give the exact same advice to women who worry about being intimidated - most of the guys there are way too into their own reflection and their training (again, in the most positive way) to care the slightest about you. Just do it.

2) where do begin? Hire a trainer! Seriously - just a day a week for a while... Or less...whatever you can afford. You need somebody to teach you how to train and push yourself. You can figure some of that out on your own, but it will really help get up to speed. A good trainer will also go over your diet with you.

A trainer does NOT need to be a long term thing. Once you're sufficiently up to speed you should go on your own. People I see at the gym 2,3 even 4 days a week with a trainer are usually wasting their money... And making the least progress.

3) I'm unlikely to recommend asking the big guys you like for guidance or to be a training partner....that might just be me. Most of the advice won't be that useful. Ill get asked for details on how I train a particular muscle group on me they like. The thing is, I don't know some special exercise that they haven't discovered yet. I just bust my ass. There are no training 'secrets' to pick up.
As for a training buddy - well you might hit the jackpot and find some guy that wants to take you under his wing...... Most guys want to train with a partner at a similar level. Somebody that has already proven they can be relied on to keep the gym schedule. Does similar weights so they can spot you safely, etc. Show some progress on your own and it will get easier.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigm999 For This Useful Post:
hexdog3f8h (February 19th, 2013), The Magus (February 20th, 2013)
  #3   Add to PunkGuy01's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 19th, 2013, 11:45 PM

PunkGuy01 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to PunkGuy01
Hi hexdog3f8h, I have the same problem in the gym sometimes, and for what it's worth the best advice I can give is basically what Bigm999 says - no-one else is concerned with what you're doing as long as you're being safe and not getting in anyone's way.

I find looking at sites like www.bodybuilding.com and others are great ways to make sure I know how to do the exercise before actually trying it with weights. Also if you've got a smartphone they offer a pretty good app (of course there are probably other good ones, this is just the only one I know!) which you can use in the gym to make sure you get the movement right without any danger to yourself or others.

Hope that's useful, best of luck on your growth journey!
The Following User Says Thank You to PunkGuy01 For This Useful Post:
hexdog3f8h (February 22nd, 2013)
  #4   Add to brutus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 21st, 2013, 11:07 PM

brutus is on a distinguished road
Bigm999 already stated 99% of what I was thinking, so he saved me a bunch of typing. Yay!!!

Most gyms offer training packages that are very affordable, and sometimes put these packages on sale. Talk with a sales rep & get their advice. I could tell you a lot about where to go. who to see here in Las Vegas, but I don't know where you are or the situation their. Connecting with a local lifter would help, but is definitely not needed.

Many gym have the machines either color-coded to body parts, or they have the machines grouped by area or aisle. Use the machines for a while, and get a feel for using the muscle group. Then, you will naturally move yourself into free-weight versions of your exercises in a month or two.

There is a lot of good information on the Internet (like the previously mentioned bodybuilding.com). I like the BuffDudes on YouTube. A lot of what you see on the Internet is too advanced for a beginner, so don't kill yourself at first.

This takes a LONG TIME!!! Transforming your body is more mental than it is physical. You have to change yourself from the inside out, and you CAN do it! Get over your intimidation, join the gym, go for a couple weeks; even just using the sauna builds the habit of packing a bag, driving to the gym and driving home! Block out the time, and just do something. Soon you will build more confidence, and then your mental image will change. Once your mental image changes your physical body must follow!

Enjoy your path.
The Following User Says Thank You to brutus For This Useful Post:
hexdog3f8h (February 22nd, 2013)
  #5   Add to Rarity's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:36 PM
Muscles go with anything~

Rarity is on a distinguished road
My boyfriend has dumbbells and a bench. You'd be surprised what you can do with just those two things. Not to mention it's much cheaper than going to the gym. However after a certain point, the dumbbells won't cut it and you'll need a spotter to do heavy duty lifting or a machine. So I guess you could say 300 bucks will net you a very great start until you're big enough to finally be confident in yourself.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options