You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to TheMM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 13th, 2006, 09:11 AM
"This is no trick!"

TheMM is on a distinguished road
Fave music?

Surprised no one has ever placed stuff like this. But what kind(s) of music does everyone like?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to DonnieJvilleNC's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 13th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Pop Culture Savant

DonnieJvilleNC is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonnieJvilleNC Send a message via MSN to DonnieJvilleNC Send a message via Yahoo to DonnieJvilleNC
My Music Channels...

Instead of listing my favorite musicians or songs, I thought I'd post links to my personalized stations:

-My LaunchCAST Station
-My Pandora Station
Jacksonville, Onslow County, NC, USA
I'm reminded of the immortal last words of Socrates who said, "I Drank What?!"
  #3   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 13th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Muscle Czar

Corwin has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to Corwin Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMM
Surprised no one has ever placed stuff like this. But what kind(s) of music does everyone like?
A genre I affectionately dub gayboy dance music that the rest of the world calls either techno, electronica or house.

"Stand firm for what you believe in until or unless logic or experience prove you wrong. Remember, when the emperor looks naked the emperor is naked. The truth and a lie are not sort of the same thing. And there's no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza." Daria
  #4   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 13th, 2006, 11:29 AM

CelticMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
I like music played on the following music video channels

The Hits
MTV Dance
Classic FM TV
  #5   Add to Mad Dog's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 13th, 2006, 08:03 PM

Mad Dog is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Mad Dog Send a message via MSN to Mad Dog Send a message via Yahoo to Mad Dog
Yoko Kanno.

I'm a skinny dork.
  #6   Add to rockhardmuscle1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 23rd, 2006, 12:44 AM

rockhardmuscle1 is on a distinguished road
My favorite band is Green Day, I remember hearing Basket Case on the radio and going, holy shit thats awesome, and now they're evem better. I'm also a grunge fan, I was ten when Nevermind came out. Lets see, Pink Floyd, AFI, Metallica, Slayer, Mastodon, Alice In Chains, U2, Coldplay, The Killers, Foo Fighters, Led Zeppelin, Avenged Sevenfold, Iron Maiden, My Chemical Romance, Panic! At the Disco, Incubus, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Black Flag, Nine Inch Nails, Minor Threat,Clapton, The Yardbirds, the Who, Van Halen (pre Jump that is) Guns N' Roses, Pantera, Lenny Kravits, Audioslave, Rage Against the Machine, Soundgarden,NoFX, KoRn, Thursday, Aiden, Rush, Coheed and Cambria, Rancid, Operation Ivy, Blink 182, Better than Toast (unsigned band), uhh... well a lot as you can see, I've got a pretty big list. But basically hard rock heavy metal, pop rock, punk rock ,and easy listening.

#7   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 23rd, 2006, 04:05 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
Classical....

Specifically,classical theater music(opera&ballet)
  #8   Add to TheMM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 31st, 2006, 03:46 PM
"This is no trick!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhardmuscle1
My favorite band is Green Day, I remember hearing Basket Case on the radio and going, holy shit thats awesome, and now they're evem better. I'm also a grunge fan, I was ten when Nevermind came out. Lets see, Pink Floyd, AFI, Metallica, Slayer, Mastodon, Alice In Chains, U2, Coldplay, The Killers, Foo Fighters, Led Zeppelin, Avenged Sevenfold, Iron Maiden, My Chemical Romance, Panic! At the Disco, Incubus, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Black Flag, Nine Inch Nails, Minor Threat,Clapton, The Yardbirds, the Who, Van Halen (pre Jump that is) Guns N' Roses, Pantera, Lenny Kravits, Audioslave, Rage Against the Machine, Soundgarden,NoFX, KoRn, Thursday, Aiden, Rush, Coheed and Cambria, Rancid, Operation Ivy, Blink 182, Better than Toast (unsigned band), uhh... well a lot as you can see, I've got a pretty big list. But basically hard rock heavy metal, pop rock, punk rock ,and easy listening.

Now I know where you got your name from.
  #9   Add to loopy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 14th, 2006, 12:11 PM

loopy is on a distinguished road
Everything but hard rock/metal.
  #10   Add to More2048's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 11th, 2006, 10:50 AM

More2048 is on a distinguished road
i like triphop downtempo chillout eletronica. all that stuff no one has ever herd of. my fav bands being hooverphonic, lamb, moloko, roisin murphy, matthew herbert, boards of canada, bonobo, and the dining rooms.

if you have even herd of any of these you get a cookie!
  #11   Add to TheMM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 12th, 2006, 09:02 PM
"This is no trick!"

What kind of cookie? (No, I haven't heard of any of them.)
  #13   Add to TheMM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 13th, 2006, 08:22 PM
"This is no trick!"

Shoot, I should have said I did know.
  #14   Add to rockhardmuscle1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 20th, 2006, 10:28 AM

rockhardmuscle1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy
Everything but hard rock/metal.

noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #15   Add to More2048's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 24th, 2006, 08:45 PM

More2048 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhardmuscle1

noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i agree with loopy on that one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM9idSC9K0M

the song is called "underwater love" and it is absoutly amazing
  #16   Add to muscleboyil's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 25th, 2006, 12:09 AM

muscleboyil
Send a message via Yahoo to muscleboyil
I like helmet, quicksand, snapcase, meshuggah, muse, nirvana, smashing pumpkins, hum, failure, metric, torche, mastodon, converge, botch, sonic youth, cave in, coalesce, grade, the dillinger escape plan, my bloody valentine, soundgarden, between the buried and me, nickel creek, radiohead, hopesfall, joanna newsom, jesu, isis, cult of luna, the cure, sepultura (old), fear factory (old), depeche mode, neurosis, refused, and i cant think of any more rock...
  #17   Add to TeknoDave's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 6th, 2007, 12:20 AM
MGS Author, Moderator

TeknoDave is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TeknoDave Send a message via Yahoo to TeknoDave
I am really big into the electronic genre: trance, techno, jungle and the like. The less lyrics the better, but there are some that are really good.

Some of my fave artists include: Armin Van Buuren, Paul Van Dyk, George Acosta, Blank and Jones, Tiesto and Johnny Monsoon....just to name a few. But AvB is the awesome
  #18   Add to nypup2train's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 6th, 2007, 04:49 AM

nypup2train is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to nypup2train Send a message via Yahoo to nypup2train
Talking

Music's always been at the center of my life -- a born loner whose parents sheltered him to the point of social dysfunction, music was and is my only friend during the vast expanses of my life when I don't really have any friends... or none of my friends are around or particularly conscious of my mood and outlook.

My (now-) "Classic" Rock upbringing (a musically-progressive dad; I own(ed) the entirety of Jethro Tull's catalog on CD, along with not-insubstantial Billy Joel and Elton John collections, by the time I graduated High School in 1992) gave way to a migration to more modern music that definitely represented the seeds of the Woodstock generation, 70's arena-rock, and the harder pop that came out of the 80's and early 90's. The Police, Dire Straits, and REM represent the 80's to me, and I still remember buying Pearl Jam's "Ten" in 1992... and I remember the goddamn-I'm-old slap-in-the-face reality check when I realized it was now as old as its title a decade later.

During college I discovered what some radio DJs most-descriptively called "organic rock" -- the jam-oriented, laid-back, stoner-friendly, bands that grew up listening to everyone at Woodstock ('69, and I'll smack anyone who mentions '94 and its bastard children) and emulated its styles. Blues Traveler (in my lifelong Top-5), Dave Matthews Band, Counting Crows, Live, etc... The list stops just short of including Phish, they always felt too "poster-children-ey" for the genre to be taken seriously as part of it by me, or something.

In 1997 while regularly driving back and forth between home (Connecticut) and college (Albany, NY) in the middle of the night on weekends, I discovered Liquid Todd's Sunday night "Solid State" radio show on Z-100, and the seeds of my own ongoing fascination with electronic ("dance") music were sown. (And I experienced near-crippling paroxysms of nostalgic cheer two years ago when Todd returned to NYC radio, now on KTU radio.) Back in 1997, Todd's show and MTV's "Amp" were the beginning and ending of mainstream attention to the genre. Hell, Robert Miles' "Children" wasn't even released until that year.

Once I moved to Boston in 1998, I discovered (a) gay nightlife, (b) the tolerably-diverse Boston club scene, and (c) the harder and less radio-friendly sound of house music. In a community as small as Boston's gay crowd, even local "celebrities" are real people, too. I became friends with many of the city's gay-scene DJs, and spent as many as 5 nights per week out dancing at whatever club hosted the gay night that day. (Boston's small enough that in 1998-2001 the gay "circuit" was a weekly rotation among "gay night" at various straight clubs, with only Friday and Saturday night offering the luxury of multiple OPTIONS.) Fond memories of sitting directly behind Darrin Friedman while he spun at Machine on Friday nights feature prominently in my memories of all four years I lived in Boston, and the man's street cred as an underappreciated, hidden-treasure musical talent of major proportions I will defended to the death.

Watching Darrin perform captivated, educated, and inspired me... in 2002 while living and working on Long Island, I found myself more desperately in need of a hobby than any human being in history, and bought a pair of turntables and a mixer that I still own. (Yes, vinyl. When Darrin himself asked me WHY, given that my degree is in Computer Science and CD technology had already more than matured, I explained that he'd hit on exactly the REASON -- my LIFE revolves around computers, and I needed a hobby as low-tech as possible (for me) in order to get away from them occasionally.) ...If I ever finalize a mix CD I'm happy with, it will be dedicated to Darrin.

In terms of the endless (even pointless) selection of dance-music genres and sub-genres, I lean towards hard, thumping, house -- dark, banging, progressive affairs with minimal vocals and basslines you feel in your gut. "NYC pots-and-pans" music. I'm still not over tribal and already sick to death of the new electro fad that seems to be its successor. I've heard Victor Calderone spin the Black Party three times, spent several of Junior Vasquez' birthdays at Twilo and Exit, met David Knapp once during Boston pride 2001 (and stalked/coveted him from afar for going on 9 years now), and consider Michael Fierman a personal friend. Razor & Guido, Thunderpuss, Danny Tenaglia, Peter Rauhofer/Club69, and the like finish out the "old guard" for me, with their torch being passed to newer artists like Tom Stephan, Deep Dish, Steve Lawler, Scumfrog, Murk, and Satoshi Tomiie... at least until various of the bastards made their leap onto the damn electro bandwagon.

In 1998, the Web, Napster, and my background in Internetworking (and resulting "high speed" DSL line when 90% of online America was still using dialup) allowed me to give myself an education-from-afar in the infinitely more diverse and rich European dance music culture.

As a result, I discovered trance and other genres virtually unknown in the US (or at least Boston), and DJs only heard of in the right NYC, Detroit, and Miami clubs. I and began downloading weekly 2-hour recordings of Pete Tong's "Essential Mix" show on UK Radio 1. (I still do, and thanks to cheap hard drives, cheap broadband, and BitTorrent, 2006 is the first year my archive holds a complete set.

Tong's show introduced me to the big UK trance luminaries (Oakenfold, Sasha/Digweed, Paul van Dyk, Armin van Buuren), styles I'd never even heard of before (big-beat DJs like Carl Cox, Fatboy Slim, and Armand van Helden), and even some West Coast American acts -- DJ Dan, Gabriel & Dresden, etc. In ironic contrast to my house leanings, I prefer melodic, lush, airy trance that lives up to its name musically. Just short of the overblown, cheezy "angelic" trance that's all choirs and horns. (But I DO MISS HORNS, the greatest thing about late-90's house music.) In his day, Paul Oakenfold could make a 2-hour mix seem like just one long, smoothly flowing river of sound. (Now, his day is sadly over. By and large, he sucks.)

...But, hey, that's just a quick summary. Would You Like To Know More(tm)?
  #19   Add to nypup2train's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 6th, 2007, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeknoDave
I am really big into the electronic genre: trance, techno, jungle and the like. The less lyrics the better, but there are some that are really good.

Some of my fave artists include: Armin Van Buuren, Paul Van Dyk, George Acosta, Blank and Jones, Tiesto and Johnny Monsoon....just to name a few. But AvB is the awesome
Speaking of, T'Dave... if you're not already aware, AvB snagged the end-of-year Essential Mix duties recently (the December 24 show), and tossed out a pretty decent old-school type trance set for a Xmas Eve present to us all. You can see a tracklisting and comments over at tracklistings.org, and PM me if you want me to send you a URL so you can download the MP3 from my home webserver. (It's 2 hours and about 160MB.)

Last edited by nypup2train; January 11th, 2007 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Used an incredibly offensive wording which I apologize for, and also was expounding on legal matters, though I'm not a lawyer.
  #20   Add to nypup2train's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 6th, 2007, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by More2048
hooverphonic, lamb, moloko, roisin murphy, matthew herbert, boards of canada, bonobo, and the dining rooms.

if you have even herd of any of these you get a cookie!
Tsk! Silly boy... you rigged the contest by including Moloko... makes it too easy! MOST people have at least heard "Sing it Back", even if they don't think that MOST of the remixes suck ass (and there are a lot of assy remixes), agree that Mousse T's is one of the more tolerable, or know the story behind Moloko's album being titled, "Do You Like My Tight Sweater?".

*mounch* Good cookie!
  #21   Add to Texzilla's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 7th, 2007, 07:49 AM

Texzilla is on a distinguished road
It's weird but when I'm writing I can't listen to anything with lyrics. The same with having the TV on, it's too distracting. Enough voices in my head already I guess. But since i was a kid I've collected movie soundtracks. Back in the days before VHS and even earlier buying 15 minute versions of feature lenght movies on 8MM, soundtracks were really the only 'collectible' out there. I still have most of the ones I got as a kid since the idea of throwing something out is just not in my family's DNA. My main fallbacks when I'm writing though are Max Stiener's King Kong, and John Williams' Superman. I know his Star Wars work has the better rep, but for me he hit all the right marks with Superman.

Last edited by Texzilla; January 7th, 2007 at 07:56 AM.
  #22   Add to TeknoDave's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 1st, 2007, 10:03 PM
MGS Author, Moderator

TeknoDave is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TeknoDave Send a message via Yahoo to TeknoDave
Talking Music Soundtracks Rawk

I am the same way, Texzilla -- I love soundtracks - one shelf (its a narrow shelf) of my CD collection includes soundtracks from some movies, such as Mission: Impossible and ID4, but a majority are from Star Trek, both movies and the series. The non-lyrical music can heighten the tension or mood to the scene -- it is a critical component to a successful flick.

Like 24. I have the 24 soundtrack too. ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texzilla
It's weird but when I'm writing I can't listen to anything with lyrics. The same with having the TV on, it's too distracting. Enough voices in my head already I guess. But since i was a kid I've collected movie soundtracks. Back in the days before VHS and even earlier buying 15 minute versions of feature lenght movies on 8MM, soundtracks were really the only 'collectible' out there. I still have most of the ones I got as a kid since the idea of throwing something out is just not in my family's DNA. My main fallbacks when I'm writing though are Max Stiener's King Kong, and John Williams' Superman. I know his Star Wars work has the better rep, but for me he hit all the right marks with Superman.
  #23   Add to Speaker's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:13 PM

Speaker is on a distinguished road
Well my favorite band is definatly Pink Floyd hands down. I love all classic rock and I'm ok with metal. Hell i can even listen to country, but i HATE rap. Anywhoo i am a MASSIVE Pink Floyd fan, as you can probably tell by my signature. ive even seen Roger Waters live... best night of my life i think (i dont know whether to be proud or sad about that...)

Course thats just MY opinion =)
  #24   Add to GunMetalGrey88's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 24th, 2008, 03:50 AM

GunMetalGrey88 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to GunMetalGrey88 Send a message via Yahoo to GunMetalGrey88
Thumbs up

i set up a thread like this music for muscle , check it out if you want to see my tunes list
  #25   Add to charliepanayi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 24th, 2008, 07:07 AM

charliepanayi
Send a message via MSN to charliepanayi Send a message via Yahoo to charliepanayi
I'll be lazy here and post up what my Facebook profile says under Music, this covers most of my favourite acts:

R.E.M., Radiohead, Blur, Animal Collective, Arcade Fire, Ash, The Beatles, Bjork, Boredoms, Jeff Buckley, Daft Punk, PJ Harvey, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, The Avalanches, Belle and Sebastian, Broken Social Scene, The Dears, The Decemberists, Deerhoof, The Delgados, Do Make Say Think, Eels, Elbow, Explosions in the Sky, The Fiery Furnaces, The Flaming Lips, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Grandaddy, Guillemots, The Hidden Cameras, The Hold Steady, Joy Division, LCD Soundsystem, Lemon Jelly, Low, The Magnetic Fields, M83, Mercury Rev, Mew, MIA, Modest Mouse, Mogwai, Mono, Muse, My Bloody Valentine, The National, Neutral Milk Hotel, New Order, The New Pornographers, Joanna Newsom, Pavement, Primal Scream, Sigur Ros, Sleater-Kinney, The Smiths, Sonic Youth, Spiritualized, The Strokes, Sufjan Stevens, Super Furry Animals, The Velvet Underground, Weezer, The White Stripes, Wilco, The Wrens, Xiu Xiu, Yo La Tengo
  #26   Add to OSWorker's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 22nd, 2008, 02:14 AM

OSWorker is on a distinguished road
....yeah -- I thought I'd pipe in and say that people are getting sick of the same old rock/hip-hop/r&b bullsh*t..... and there is just this big upsurge from a new style coming out of Europe -- it's pretty easy to find, just put 'euro club hits' into itunes or check this link:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...+Club+Hits+Vol+
  #27   Add to Aikuchi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 22nd, 2008, 02:33 AM
Always a fan.

Aikuchi is on a distinguished road
Been listening to remix club mixes for years!
Love them and am currently using a lot of them as random playlists at the gym.

---
  #28   Add to IndigoSensor's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:03 PM
A science geek all around

IndigoSensor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to IndigoSensor
I have fallen in love with the band Dead Can Dance recently, they are of another world and I simply love it! I can not stop listning to them!!!

Example song:

"Don't resist the changes that come to you. If you're resisting change you are resisting a part of yourself. Those who resist change, are the ones who will in the end, fall..."
-Me
  #29   Add to GunMetalGrey88's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:08 PM

GunMetalGrey88 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to GunMetalGrey88 Send a message via Yahoo to GunMetalGrey88
Thumbs up

that was the most insane thing i ever have seen
  #30   Add to OSWorker's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 13th, 2008, 05:39 PM

OSWorker is on a distinguished road
....yeah -- i agree, people are basically getting sick of the same old rock/hip-hop/r&b bullsh*t..... and there is just this big upsurge from a new style coming out of Europe -- best place i've found it so far is a compilation series called 'euro club hits' on itunes -- or check this link:

[COLOR=windowtext]http://electricfilebox.com/tracks[/COLOR][COLOR=#0B5394][/COLOR]
  #31   Add to bushvilim's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 22nd, 2011, 10:16 PM

bushvilim is on a distinguished road
I like Pop,Jazz and Classical music.I give some my favourite song like
Yesterday Once More ? The Carpenters
Right Here Waiting ? Richard Marx
My Heart Will Go On ? Celine Dion
I Do It For You ? Bryan Adams
Nothing?s Gonna Change My Love For You ? Glenn Medeiros
  #32   Add to Equalin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 2nd, 2011, 08:31 AM

Equalin is on a distinguished road
I am more into trances these days . I really like listening to DJ TIESTO . he is one of the best music creator . And romanian music is also good to listen .
  #33   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 2nd, 2011, 09:33 PM

WhoDunIt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to WhoDunIt
Lately I've been getting into Bob Seger, Southern Rock, and Some Blues, SeaSick Steve in particular.
  #34   Add to dominicrue's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 12th, 2011, 11:32 PM

dominicrue is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dominicrue
I listen to a bit of everything. I'm kind of involved in the music scene. I have friends that Dj happy hardcore, a friend that does the Womp truck( dubstep out of a former icecream truck), D&B (drum and bass), ect.

But I'll listen to 60's rockabilly country one minute then bollywood music right after. I almost joined a folk band for a while, but I just ended up booking gigs for them.

Just depends on my mood but at most time i'll be blaring out some fatty electro beats.
  #35   Add to tautomer4314's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 1st, 2011, 09:15 AM
Chemist

tautomer4314 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to tautomer4314 Send a message via MSN to tautomer4314 Send a message via Yahoo to tautomer4314
iamamiwhoami is my favorite band beyond a shadow of a doubt. Some of the best electronic music I have ever come across.

"I know, the void. The void, knows me. It keeps us weak, the void told me."
-Planningtorock (Janine Rostron)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode