The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Community > Personals
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Yesterday at 11:53 PM

Notices

Personals Connect and meet with other muscle growth fans in your area. Looking for a friend, training partner, or something else? Check out this forum!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to poopster77's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 22nd, 2003, 08:00 AM

poopster77
Send a message via Yahoo to poopster77
Question Average 26yo beginner… help me to get big!!

Average 26yo beginner… help me to get big!!
Hi All,

I just stumbled across this site, and perhaps someone could help me out. I am a decent-looking asian guy (26yo) here in nyc, who always wanted to look great naked, but never able to take any action. Now that I want to start out fresh, I am totally lost on where to even begin. I am 5’9 (or 5’10), 140lbs-ish and wanting to gain roughly 30lbs of muscle, if possible (and lose some extra fat along the way). My ideal situation is that someone can take me under his wings and whip my lazy behind into shape, but I know that is not happening. Instead, can any one here suggest a good gym in nyc that is relatively affordable, totally hardcore, and has a good vibe… that also offers personal trainers (I am a total beginner here!)? Also where would be a good source to understand nutrition and supplements?

I guess I am looking for someone who is in great shape, who can advise me and gives me some pointers, motivate me, help me grow to my full potential, someone that I aspire to, and ultimately whom I want to be like; who loves to keep his shirt off than on.

Any suggestion will be appreciated. Please IM me on Yahoo! at Poopster77. Thanks for all of you who want to help me out to achieve my simple dream.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to polomuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 1st, 2003, 10:46 AM

polomuscle
Send a message via AIM to polomuscle
yes

you can have your dream.

BUT:

you need KNOWLEDGE and info.
also, DO NOT START LIFTING HEAVY. use light weights and do proper form. you will see better results and won't get injured.

i suggest dolphin because it's the cheapest and is a TRAINING gym.
their PT's have been known to do 100 sessions for 1000. or, 7 months unlimited training for 1000.

be happy: you will make your BIGGEST GAINS in the first YEAR. make a budget. talk to a trainer. check out a few gyms. DO THE GYM NEAREST TO YOUR HOME. ANY gym will give you a free week to try it out. talk to people. ask questions. MOST PEOPLE DON'T KNOW HOW TO TRAIN PROPERLY. 1/2 the trainers don't know the right techniques.

I suggest a book called "serious strength training" by Bompa. if that is too much to start, get the "mens health" "look great naked" issue.

you will motivate to go every day or 5 days a week IF THE GYM IS CLOSE TO YOU. you have to get the "gym bug."

imagine yourself in six months with your pecs starting to bulge, your arms showing some veins, your abs tightening into a six pack... it will happen if you SET GOALS and FOCUS. DIET is key. high protein, cut out the sugar and the pasta.

Good luck!
  #3   Add to poopster77's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 2nd, 2003, 07:04 PM

poopster77
Thanks for the Advice!!

Hi, Polodude

Thanks for your advice. I will be sure to check out those books you have mentioned. I am excited that finally I am doing something about my dream, and hopefully I can achieve my goals in a short period of time. I do have a question about gyms though. You have suggested dolphin for its price. What will be your opinion in Steel Gym (on 23rd st) or the 19th Street Gym? Some people had suggested me those gyms as well.
  #4   Add to polomuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 3rd, 2003, 05:28 AM

polomuscle
steel and 19th st

I tried 19th st and also Steel.
Those are the gay muscle gyms and they are known for steroid use.
You are a beginner and guess what? You don't need roids.
If you are going to spend that money, your money is better spent on a trainer. If you learn proper form, and good technique, THE FIRST TIME, then you won't have bad habits. Don't make the mistake that 90% of guys make. You will see muscular guys but they have bad proportion and can't move gracefully. That's because their form sucks--they just push too much weight, and use the wrong grip, wrong angle, wrong range of motion, wrong amount of weight, wrong way of pushing into positive and negative, etc.

I suggest Dolphin because it has many locations and has 24 hour locations. It is a training gym. It is cheap. With the leftover money you would have spent on a fancy membership, you can buy more training sessions with your trainer. That's what I did and that's why I'm getting HUGE. I was SO close to taking roids and even had an Evocash account ready to pay for mail order and then I thought--for the same amount of money I can get the same results and not fuck up my liver and kidneys. And now, it's happening!!! I'm growing, dude.
  #5   Add to poopster77's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 3rd, 2003, 09:10 AM

poopster77
baby steps

Wow… I didn’t know about the whole steroid thing at those gyms. I am glad that I asked you on that!! You are so right about getting a trainer instead of buying steroids. It makes so much sense to me, although, I do know it is more of a personal choice. I like to see how much I can gain naturally, and want to challenge myself. I was definitely planning to use a trainer… since I am totally new to this game and I heard that good form is everything. I will check out dolphin, I am sure there would be one close by. Is that where you train as well?

Another question that I have is (it seems like I am bombarding you with questions!), what supplements should I take to see a good results… I have a very small bone structure, so I assume I will be a hard gainer, and I think I could use all the help that I can get. And the information out there seems so complicated and confusing…

So out of curiosity, when you said you were getting HUGE, what is your progress like? How much did you gain / are you gaining?

Thanks for all your help!!
  #6   Add to polomuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 4th, 2003, 04:33 AM

polomuscle
the best advice

Ok: here it goes.

1)
Dolphin: cheap yearly membership. Also, if you find a trainer, they can give you a sick deal (I have heard of people getting training packages where each session comes down to about $10/hour, if it's long term).

2)
You are 5'9'', 140.
You don't need supplements.
You don't need roids.
Dude: you need to work out. Period.
AND STRETCH between EVERY SET.
If you have the $$$, get a trainer and work hard and you will be BLOWN AWAY by the results.

You need to train properly, eat properly, and rest properly.
That's it.

And LOTS OF CARDIO. I mean like, 1/2 hour to one hour a day, 4 or 5 days a week.

Notice that I said, train, eat, _a n d_ REST.

If you really want to see more results, that means stop eating desserts, eat more protein, stop eating carbs like bread and pasta, start eating healthy carbs like steamed broccoli. Don't eat fried chicken, eat baked chicken. If it's Chinese food, eat it steamed. Stay away from salt and soy. Take a multivitamin.

Take the $$$$ you would have spent on supplements and use it to buy yourself some really nice lifting gloves, plus a couple of more training sessions with your trainer who is gonna push you and make you huge.

You don't even need creatine, though it might show you faster results...it can cause gas and cramping in your intestines.

You wanna get big? You gotta work for it. There is no shortcut.
  #7   Add to polomuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 16th, 2005, 04:11 PM

polomuscle
update

to the boy who posted this.... did you make any progress?
  #8   Add to poopster77's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 26th, 2009, 11:50 PM

poopster77
A belated beginning...

Hello everyone!

Wow… I cannot believe it has been almost 6 years ago that I posted this… Please be kind, as shamelessly, I thought I would post an update. Well, I admit, life took over as I moved from NY to CA and started anew. Time passed so quickly, and I found myself realizing how I let my life take control over me. I ended up being one those people who was giving monthly (not to mention, non-tax deductible) donation to the gym and not utilizing what it offered.

I think everyone has their moment of truth. And mine came as I saw a photo of myself, taken when I was in London last summer with my then boyfriend at the time. I became really flabby to the point that I can see man-boobs from my tee-shirt (nope, those are not pecs… they are real man-boobs)!!

[img][/img]
(me in London, at around 20% BF)

Well, September of last year came along, and we went our separate ways. I was sorting through photos one not-so-special day and came across the man-boob photo of me. And at that moment, I decided that I ought to take control of myself (under the September light, everything looks harsher). As embarrassing as it may seem, I decided to take a “before” photo of myself (this time not at age 26 but at age 31…).

[img][/img]
(me in Sep 08 at around 15.5% BF)

Well, gym bag in one hand and protein shake in the other, i step foot for the first time in the gym. It has been about 5 months (4 months to be exact; since in January, I went back to New York, London and Paris for a month, took time off working out, ate everything in sight and lost 3kg along the way), and here is my progress shot (since this site seem to require photos).

[img][/img]
(me today, Feb 09 at around 8.9% BF)

I know it is not much of a “progress” but I am making a baby step progress so far (No, it is not one of those amazing “transformation,” but it counts for something, I hope). I am still clueless when it comes to work out and nutrition, but I am slowly getting closer to where I would like to be. (Now, only if I can gain more mass…) So, there you have it, my update… and I hope to continue with my slow but real progress…

Last edited by poopster77; January 22nd, 2010 at 06:09 AM.
  #9   Add to slaphappystanly's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 27th, 2009, 07:04 AM

slaphappystanly has disabled reputation
Looks like you're making great progress! There's clear development between the two last photos. Whatever you're doing, keep doing it!
  #10   Add to Aarrow's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 27th, 2009, 12:09 PM

Aarrow is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Aarrow Send a message via Yahoo to Aarrow Send a message via Skype™ to Aarrow
Thumbs up

Nice abs man. Keep up the good work!
  #11   Add to omelissokomos's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 28th, 2009, 05:13 PM
The Bee Keeper

omelissokomos has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to omelissokomos
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopster77 View Post
I know it is not much of a 菟rogress but I am making a baby step progress so far
Are you kidding? You're looking amazing, and that's with you being "clueless" about your workout and nutrition. Time to start hitting them books, I'd say, and imagine just how much mass you can put on.
  #12   Add to poopster77's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 28th, 2009, 11:10 PM

poopster77
And I thought no one would even read my post!

Wow! Thank you for all the complements! As I mentioned before, I am still a beginner and still trying to figure out what works best for me (in terms of working out, eating etc I would love to get more input and pointers from you all). And for someone who has a tendency to start something and never completes it, I am even surprised that I kept on going to the gym for this long. (okay, so 4 months is not all that long, but a miracle to me). Now that I am back in my 28 inch jeans (yeay!), I want to gradually build myself up. My goal is to gain 20 lbs, but with my body type, I know it will be rather difficult. I will post my progress and keep you guys informed. Thanks for all your supports!
  #13   Add to BIGJOEY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 2nd, 2009, 05:04 AM

BIGJOEY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BIGJOEY
how can yousuggest things like streatching to a biggner is beyond me its like telling him to start his training doing deadlifts with 400lbs he has no idea how to streatch correctly. first dolphin gyms are mostly on staten island. synergy gyms cover more area in the city. you also have mid-city on 49, gold's on 54th, powerhouse on 42nd. at 140 lbs he needs is a basic meal plan which anybody can find on line that deals with beginners in the sport such as bodybuilding .com .Next not every person in a hard core gym uses steroids . it could be the majority but not every person so get that thought out of your head since its not nessary for your goals. Any trainer who is making 10 dollars a hour is poor as hell in nyc and i dont know any health club or gym that would pay its trainers 10 a hour in the city.speaking as a former trainer in the city you cant live training clients at 10 per hr. Cheep isnt always good. Independant trainers will work with you on training prices and easier to deal with also they tend to have a lot more knowledge than most club trainers.
if your not sure still drop me a note i can suggest a few trainers that would be willing to help.
  #14   Add to Frankly's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 4th, 2009, 08:37 PM

Frankly is on a distinguished road
Kudos, you definitely have improved in the last two photos. Make sure that you stick with it though. Look at photos of you now and take photos every 3 months, each one you will look better and better which will keep you motivated to keep going.

As for information, read as much as you can. Bodybuilding.com is one good resource but it has tons of information that can get very confusing. You will have to experiment and see which methods of training work best for your body. abcbodybuilding.com is another great website that describes the science of lifting, has virtual bodybuilders showing you the exercises and really has great information.

If you have questions about training or anything like that feel free to drop me a line. Cheers, and congrats on the great progress. Keep it up.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options