The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Steroids
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Steroids General information, discussion and experiences.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to FrenchMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 22nd, 2006, 03:48 AM
MUSCLE WARRIOR

FrenchMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to FrenchMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to FrenchMuscle Send a message via Skype™ to FrenchMuscle
Halodrol-50

Who can tell me what gains I can expect from Halodrol-50 and what are the side effects ? Thank you

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to harleyxr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 16th, 2007, 03:55 PM
harleyxr

harleyxr is on a distinguished road
Sorry for the length, but it's a good article. It's really hard to say how much, if any effect the otc supps have. Supplement companies don't have the research budget. If you don't wanna do real steroids though at least most of the supps won't shut your natural test down and require nolvadex and tamoxiphen to start ya back up.
Article: A dietary supplement marketed to fitness and health enthusiasts on the Internet and in body-building shops contains anabolic steroids linked to two of the biggest doping scandals in sports history, including the renowned case involving East German Olympic athletes in the 1960s and '70s, according to a prominent researcher.

The supplement, which is sold under the name Halodrol-50, contains a steroid that closely resembles Oral-Turinabol, the principal steroid used to fuel East Germany's secret, systematic sports doping program, according to Don Catlin of the UCLA Olympic Analytical Laboratory.

Catlin said it also contains DMT, or madol, a steroid federal authorities say was developed for Bay Area Laboratory Co-operative (BALCO), the California nutritional supplement company at the center of a scheme to provide prominent professional athletes with undetectable performance-enhancing drugs.

Catlin analyzed the makeup of Halodrol-50 for The Washington Post, which purchased the product on the Internet and reimbursed the Los Angeles researcher for the cost of the testing.

The discovery provides further evidence that the country's multimillion-dollar dietary supplements industry also has become a clearinghouse for the distribution of anabolic steroids, which help build muscle and speed recovery from strenuous exercise but also can cause serious health problems when used in excess.

Last month, Catlin tested five other dietary supplements obtained by The Post and found that each contained anabolic steroids, four of which had not been previously detected. The Food and Drug Administration announced after publication of The Post's story on Oct. 18 that it had opened an investigation into the four companies marketing them.

An FDA spokeswoman said yesterday that the investigation is continuing. The official declined further comment.

It is illegal to sell anabolic steroids or any unapproved drugs as dietary supplements.

Halodrol-50, which costs $50 to $80 for a bottle of 30 tablets, is marketed by Gaspari Nutrition, a dietary supplements company based in Neptune, N.J., that sells bodybuilding and weight-loss products. Halodrol-50 claims on its label to "induce maximal visible changes in size and strength in the shortest period of time possible." It also recommends that the product not be used by anyone under age 21.

The Halodrol-50 label further states that it contains polydehydrogenated, polyhydroxylated halomethetioallocholane. Catlin described that chemical descriptor as "hocus-pocus." He said the language was outdated and vague and appeared to be deliberately misleading. The label makes no mention of DMT or other anabolic steroids.

"It's obfuscation," Catlin said. "There is no attempt to be clear and concise and to describe the product for what it is."

Rich Gaspari, owner of Gaspari Nutrition, did not respond to two requests for an interview made by telephone to associates at his company. He also did not respond to two e-mail requests for comment.

However, Bruce Kneller, a consultant to Gaspari, wrote in an e-mail late yesterday that he had spoken to Gaspari and was conveying a comment on Gaspari's behalf. "The product . . . was discontinued several weeks ago after the publication of an inflammatory article in The Washington Post," Kneller said, referring to the Oct. 18 Post story. "It is no longer made or sold by Gaspari Nutrition and, in fact, was only available for less than three weeks."

Though Halodrol-50 is no longer available on the Gaspari Nutrition Web site, the product continues to be marketed on other Web sites that sell bodybuilding substances.

In an e-mail sent by a Gaspari official to a distributor, which was provided to The Post, the Gaspari official said Halodrol-50 and another product called Orastan E no longer advertised on Gaspari's Web site would continue to be sold to good customers. The Gaspari official added that he hoped "the government and media will ignore us and think we got rid of them," focusing instead on the "other companies."

Oral-Turinabol anchored the secretive doping program in communist East Germany that led to that country's emergence as an Olympic power three decades ago, according to classified documents uncovered in 1990 following the fall of the Berlin Wall. At the 1976 Summer Games in Montreal, East German women won 11 of the 13 swimming events. But the side effects from the massive doses of steroids administered to the East German competitors were as remarkable as the athletes' successes. Women developed excessive body hair, deepened voices, massive shoulders and male secondary sex characteristics.

Criminal trials in 2000 resulted in the convictions of East Germany's Olympic president and chief sports doctor, but a number of former athletes are still grappling with medical, legal and psychological issues related to the doping program.

One of the two steroids found in Halodrol-50, Catlin said, more closely resembles Oral-Turinabol than any other known steroid, but the two are not identical in structure. The steroid would be undetectable in standard drug tests because it is not an exact match with Oral-Turinabol.

"This is an unknown," Catlin said. "If I had to pick one it's ever so close to, it's Oral-Turinabol. . . . It's very close."

Athletes taking Halodrol-50 would flunk standard sport drug tests, however, because DMT -- which Catlin identified more than a year ago -- is now detectable. DMT was one of three steroids found associated with BALCO. The others were norbolethone and THG, also known as "the clear."

The FDA is investigating four other dietary supplement companies named in the Oct. 18 story in which The Post reported that Catlin had found anabolic steroids in five products produced by four companies: Anabolic Xtreme, Applied Lifescience Research Industries, Legal Gear and PharmaGenX. The story led Rep. Thomas M. Davis III (R-Va.) to demand that the FDA explain its efforts to ensure that dietary supplements did not contain steroids. The FDA said in a Nov. 7 letter to Davis that the companies could face punitive action.

(c) 2005 The Washington Post Company
  #3   Add to dallasmsl's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 16th, 2007, 04:11 PM

dallasmsl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dallasmsl
Halodrol

Thanks for the info!
So many scams out there. Even by Gaspari! Wow.
  #4   Add to inflatedmuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 21st, 2007, 01:18 AM

inflatedmuscle is on a distinguished road
That is an interesting article especially Gasperi's connection as I'd always heard he was a good businessman.
Don't mean this as a hijack of topic but if they actually have evidence of sup. companies marketing suppliments that are really steroids or for a time new undetectable variations of older roids - doesn't that give some credibilty to these atheles they pull in to expose as 'big Fat cheaters' who have claimed only legal suppliment use.
Thank the big guy upstairs that someone is finally doing something about all those nasty dishonest athletes with those big gross muscles trying to get into the hall of fame.
  #5   Add to dallasmsl's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 21st, 2007, 06:50 AM

dallasmsl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dallasmsl
I don't know who to thank but...

I have to agree with you that guys who juice should not compete in all natural competitions. Not only is it wrong on the surface (lying and cheating) but it gives the general population the idea that you CAN build muscles without steroids and that just isn't true. Also, the problem occurs because all natural contest promoters don't test all competitors and sometimes their testing procedures are suspect mainly because they know that if they did, their pool of competitors would dry up.
  #6   Add to inflatedmuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 21st, 2007, 11:10 AM

inflatedmuscle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasmsl
I have to agree with you that guys who juice should not compete in all natural competitions. Not only is it wrong on the surface (lying and cheating) but it gives the general population the idea that you CAN build muscles without steroids and that just isn't true. Also, the problem occurs because all natural contest promoters don't test all competitors and sometimes their testing procedures are suspect mainly because they know that if they did, their pool of competitors would dry up.
My point must not have been too clear. - sorry about that. I have no trouble with bodybuilders competing on juice in natural contests and hadn't even thought about that. I was at one time surprised to find out how much it was going on. I remember the other thread you are refering to. I guess it is dishonest to do that and not a choice I would make but if somebody does - I have no trouble with it. In the big scheme of things there are worse problems in the world. I guess if I wanted a trophy that bad I'd go out and buy one. I fall more into the group who looks at bodybuilding as a hobby or lifestyle and not a sport anyway. That's not to say I don't have a huge amount of respect for people who excell at it - wouldn't be a part of this group if I didn't. ( or even try and don't excell - as long as you enjoy it.)

My point was in part surprise that it seems that some of these open market supps are actually turning out to be real roids and the resulting issue being that some of the ballplayers pulled before committees who claimed only to be on legal supps might have been telling the truth after all. My comment about cheating athletes with big muscles was just me being a smart ass - a joke and a bit of a jab at the nervous Nellies who get all uptight about it.

The furor over baseball and steroids seems to be a manufactured "threat" to society, in my view. I think making juice illegal has probably done more harm by pushing roids to the black market. People are self administering and experimenting or following the advice of some so called expert he met while waiting for his turn on the lat pulldown machine . If you could go to a doctor and easily get what you were willing and able to pay for, I think people could get the good benifits and not have so many of the harmful sides. Legal use would make a lot of the safety hullabuloo a mute point and bring in tax revenue. Anything over done can be harmful.

The lines that are drawn between what is acceptable and what is not today makes me shake my head. Steroid use is bad but cosmetic surgury is good. Steroids should be illegal to protect the health and well being of society but the ill effects of smoking and alcohol - we can live with that. Steroid use in professional sports is cheating but lying about weapons of mass destruction to start a war is... don't get me started.

Pro athletes on juice this day and age probably are doing so under the best supervision. I don't see a professional baseball player on juice as cheating or find it particularly shocking. There is a lot of pressure and rewards for being the best.

I agree that to build serious kind of muscle we all love, in the real world is going take some juice. All the marketing of supps promising the results of gear by using some natural sup is the real cheating and was a very good point.

Hope that clears up what I was trying to say. Dallas -Not so sure our views on things are too far apart and I always enjoy your take on stuff.

And sorry for taking this thread off on side roads - Maybe somebody with some experience with Halodrol-50 can chime in here with some advice for French Muscle.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options