The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to LittleArm's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 27th, 2006, 10:09 PM

LittleArm
Send a message via Yahoo to LittleArm
Machines vs. Free weights

I know the debate of machines vs. free weights is very old, but I'm not really asking which is better. I have a free weight set at home which I am very happy with. I'm going to be using some passes to try out some gyms in the area however, and I will be trying out their machines. My question is, how does the poundage translate on to a machine? In other words, if I'm doing something with 100 lbs on a bar, when I do the same exercise on a machine, am I likely to set it to 100lbs, 90lbs, or 110? My thought is that the mechanics of the machine would let you use higher numbers, even if technically you're not moving the same amount of real weight.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 28th, 2006, 12:16 AM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
Depends

Just as any instructor teaching database fundementals would say to any question, "That depends". I'll use machines a LOT when Rob can't spot me, and many I do more than twice my free-weight weights, and some I may do less than 2/3 the weight. Machines have the distinct advantage that they keep you in near perfect form, and in things like the biceps curl, you can get rotary resistance. On the other hand, free-weights have the distinct advantage that you also use stabilizing muscles, and you can't use leverage as much. So, I guess my point is that you have to learn new weights, as these will be new exercises to you. Also, as with free-weights, don't go fast, or try to use leverage to your advantage... The more difficult, and more slowly you perform an exercise, the more growth it will induce.

I used to be a BIG advocate for free-weights, but I now like some machines much more. I think that the variety they allow you keep your workouts more productive & less boring. I like to alternate these days.

As always: have fun, and grow BIG!
  #3   Add to hulkmuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 28th, 2006, 09:20 AM
OPA!

hulkmuscle
Send a message via Yahoo to hulkmuscle
Like Brent says, every machine is different, so you can't really gauge across the board how much a weight "feels" on different equipment without actual experimentation.

For example, my gym has a lat pulldown pulley where I routinely pull 180. They have a hammer plate-loaded machine, and I'm lucky to get 2 45 lb plates on there, cause it feels twice as heavy. I've used other plate-loaded pulldowns where I can get 4 45's on there, no problem.

As you become more experienced, your body will require more frequent change in order to keep adapting and growing. Those changes can be as simple as doing the same exercise on different equipment because your muscles will perceive it differently.

However, if you find an exercise that WORKS for you, (free weight, machine, whatever) by all means, exploit the hell out of it.
Just a piece of sky?

The Follies of Greg
  #4   Add to Gene's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 28th, 2006, 07:10 PM

Gene is on a distinguished road
As said by the other posts, you can't assume any particular translation from free weights to machines. You "guestimate" (make a guess) initially and try it. If you've been training for a while and actually learning things, you'll know what "feels" right. Feeling right is knowing that you can do a "good set" with the weight chosen. Knowing a "good set" is understanding what you want from a set. Getting what you want from a set means you've guessed the right weight to use on that machine. Keeping records helps you remember what you've done before so if you didn't "feel" right last time adjust the weight accordingly. Don't get hung up on numbers, let your body tell you what's working.

Accumulated words of wisdom: Lifting weights is a competition between you and gravity but gravity will always win. The trick is to lose gracefully. Stay in control of the weights. If you can't control the weights you're not doing it right and will eventually hurt yourself. Stay in control of the weights. The sport is called weight lifting not weight jerking, stay in control of the weights. Go slow up, go slower down. Stay in control of the weights. Be tired when your set is done. Breathe!
  #5   Add to buffdoc's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 28th, 2006, 08:05 PM

buffdoc
Send a message via Yahoo to buffdoc
As others have said, the weight is relative. Machines can help u get better form and in some respects may give you a bump up compared to free weights. The real training key is not so much free weight vs. machines as lifting more weight over time. That is the key to growth--whether machine or free weight. If you lift consistently and increase the weight u will grow assuming proper nutrition. I avoided most machines when I first started lifting but recently have been using machines more and have liked the feel and results.
  #6   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 29th, 2006, 02:30 AM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene
Accumulated words of wisdom: Lifting weights is a competition between you and gravity but gravity will always win. The trick is to lose gracefully. Stay in control of the weights. If you can't control the weights you're not doing it right and will eventually hurt yourself. Stay in control of the weights. The sport is called weight lifting not weight jerking, stay in control of the weights. Go slow up, go slower down. Stay in control of the weights. Be tired when your set is done. Breathe!
Some of the wisest words I've read in a LONG time! I've recently started using the Super-Slow? protocol, which is 10 seconds on the positive & 5 seconds negative, and so tonight I had to adjust all my weights accordingly. I cut them mostly in half, but each one took a bit of experimenting.
  #7   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 29th, 2006, 07:21 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
Good intuition;LA!

As everyone has said;it varies from one machine to another,but you can often use more weight on machines than free-weight. (presses,etc.)I find that back exercises are better done on machines. (less risk of injury,more variety). I prefer free weights for most other stuff. On Nautilus-type machines (those with an elliptical; rather than round, pulley) it's important to hold the weight for a few seconds at the point of maximum contraction. You want to make the exercise as difficult for yourself as possible;without using too much weight. Otherwise,these machines can be rough on your joints & tendons.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options