General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to loopyrhino2001's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 4th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Gym Mouse

loopyrhino2001
Send a message via Yahoo to loopyrhino2001
Angry What muscle growth means to me: a rant of sorts

Sometimes when I chat with fellow muscle growth fans, we talk about our personal fitness goals. When I tell them that "in real life" I am aiming for not a bodybuilder physique, but more of what is sometimes called a "fitness model" look (slender and lean, with muscles that pop when flexed but aren't hugely massive), I often get a "but why don't you want to get huge?!?!" response. Sometimes my more modest goal is characterized as indicative of a lack of ambition, or an overly conservative nature, or even that I'm unwilling to admit my true desires. As if it's not possible that I simply find the fitness model physique more aesthetically pleasing, or practical, or achievable. No, I must just be lazy or repressed. WTF?

I personally feel that a trim, well-proportioned, and more compact body shape is more pleasing and perhaps even healthier. Hulking out into a huge muscle beast is a fun fantasy, but in my view, even setting aside my aesthetic preferences, the musclebound bodybuilder physique just wouldn't be very practical for day-to-day living. Finding clothes that fit and look good would be a pain, first of all. I'm only 5'1" and have a hard enough time finding stylish, well-fitting attire already. I can only imagine how much more difficult it would be if I were 5'1" and shaped like a cube, LOL. I also rather enjoy not having to struggle to fit into car or airplane seats. On a more serious note, I have a slight disability: my left leg was paralyzed during a botched back surgery in my h.s. years, and while I have regained the ability to walk, I still have a limp, and were I to gain excessive weight (even if it were mostly muscle), my already less-than-ideal walking mechanics might be thrown off even more.

It is true that I don't think I could achieve a muscle beast physique even if I wanted to. My aforementioned injury precludes me from certain heavy lifting exercises, and my fast metabolism would require drastic dietary changes (i.e. "eating lots and lots more than I do now") and probably some chemical supplementation that I'd rather not subject my body to. Achieving and maintaining such a shape would be a full-time job in itself, and I already have one of those. Some people may be able to juggle intense workouts and strict dieting on top of full-time work and part-time grad school, while still finding time for leisure and relaxation... but I'm not one of those people.

I realize that all this may beg the question of why I visit this site and other muscle growth/Hulk-related forums in the first place. Well, for one thing, for an ectomorph like me who started basically from skin and bones, even achieving "just" the "fitness model" shape would involve significant muscle growth. Also, as I mentioned before, it can be a fun fantasy and diversion.

This rant is certainly not meant to be directed to any one in particular. It's just a reaction to some of the responses I've received in recent months about my personal goals. Those of you here who I've met and talk to (you know who you are) have been on the whole very friendly and supportive. I'm learning to enjoy working out for health and aesthetic purposes, and many of you have offered much-appreciated encouragement. I just wanted to "clear the air" and explain what muscle growth means to me, and offer an alternative viewpoint from the usual "bigger is better!" credo.

Sorry for rambling/whining for so long. I now return you to your usual massive muscle growth discussions.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to LittleArm's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 5th, 2006, 12:50 AM

LittleArm
Send a message via Yahoo to LittleArm
As a fellow small guy looking to get bigger but not necessarily massive, you make perfect sense to me!

If I could wake up tomorrow and look like the next Mr. Olympia, that would be great. But I believe in keeping my fantasies and realities apart. Like you, I would be thrilled to look like a fitness model, and that is an attainable goal some day.
  #3   Add to scott2462's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 5th, 2006, 05:12 AM
Back in the gym

scott2462 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to scott2462
I'm with LittleArm. Having attainable realistic goals is key to getting satisfaction from what you're doing. My current goal is not unlike yours, and then we'll see about getting bigger...though I have no illusion about the possibility of that with my genetics. I might gain a little size but that's all, and will be very happy to be fit, toned and ripped than huge. Of course, one can always dream .
  #4   Add to Oliver904's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 5th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Pandering for Attention

Oliver904 is on a distinguished road
I agree. I write stories of super huge men, and certaintly wouldn't mind being that in THEIR world, but in real life, I'd be much happier lookin' like an AF model than a Pro Bodybuilder or something *LOL* Though lookin' like Bill Davey or Jorge Bentencourt wouldn't be so bad, or at least the size of somebody like Marcel from VistaVideo.
  #5   Add to nj.'s Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 5th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Still going strong

nj. has disabled reputation
Oh aye, definitely.

Fantasy is fun, but keep reality in mind.
  #6   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 5th, 2006, 08:33 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
Talking Sugar!,

...you have nothing to apologise for! Personally,at 5'10";I find that I can hover comfortably around 210. Any more than that & getting out of a chair gets to be a BIG DEAL! Your goals are somewhere between where you are now & where you want to be. Who knows? When you achieve your present goals,the goals may change....?YOU HAVE TO LIVE IN THIS BODY!!!!
  #7   Add to TheMM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 6th, 2006, 04:20 PM
"This is no trick!"

TheMM is on a distinguished road
I agree, I'm a skinny shrimp *sighs heavily* for most of my life, if I had the genetics (life sometimes sucks, I can't get muscle easy) I would get a big model (big, but not bodybuilder size, about 30 pounds bigger then Marcel) kinda size, but since I can't do that, I spend my days ogling others, writing my story, and doing really bad morphs (and re-morphs). So I can at least dream a good dream in my nice, uncomfy, dorm bed.
  #8   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 6th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Muscle Czar

Corwin has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to Corwin Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopyrhino2001
Sometimes when I chat with fellow muscle growth fans, we talk about our personal fitness goals. When I tell them that "in real life" I am aiming for not a bodybuilder physique, but more of what is sometimes called a "fitness model" look (slender and lean, with muscles that pop when flexed but aren't hugely massive), I often get a "but why don't you want to get huge?!?!" response.
Tastes change, as do goals. You have nothing to be either ashamed of or apologetic for. As a person of a certain age, it's kinda fun to watch people change. Someone who thinks everyone over 25 is a troll is that way until they are over 25, then it's 30, then 40, then under 60.... A 40 year old body is a lot different than a 20 year old body. "Never too big" is a nice motto, but many of us will be happy with 180, 190, 200... Buff. Thick. Dense. Ripped. They're goals that some can achieve and many aspire to. Bodybuilding is the art of illusion, and if a fitness physique is your goal, then that is a fine goal. Fuck those who say different. And that's my new philosophy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSbA23upZvE (hi hulkmuscle!)

"Stand firm for what you believe in until or unless logic or experience prove you wrong. Remember, when the emperor looks naked the emperor is naked. The truth and a lie are not sort of the same thing. And there's no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza." Daria

Last edited by Corwin; September 7th, 2006 at 04:02 AM.
  #9   Add to hulkmuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 6th, 2006, 07:55 PM
OPA!

hulkmuscle
Send a message via Yahoo to hulkmuscle
Never thought I'd see a Kristen Chenoweth video clip on here, but thanks Corwin...ya made my day.

As for this topic, everyone should be allowed to pursue their own happiness with no aspersions cast from people on a different path. Viva variety!

And the world goes 'round... (yes Corwin, a blatant reference to the former Mrs. David Gest). ;-)
Just a piece of sky?

The Follies of Greg
  #10   Add to loopyrhino2001's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 9th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Gym Mouse

loopyrhino2001
Send a message via Yahoo to loopyrhino2001
Thanks for the support, guys. Obviously we all have different goals for ourselves. It just irks me when people tell me there must be something "wrong" with me for not wanting to become a huge muscle guy. Thanks for letting me get that off my (small) chest.
  #11   Add to nzbodybuilder's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 9th, 2006, 07:48 PM

nzbodybuilder is on a distinguished road
Good for you loopy. I actually find small model type muscle guys attractive

Though in my case I'm trying my hardest to live my fantasy. I eat shit loads, train hard out, and think about becomming a huge muscle freak all the time. Granted, it may not be possible, but that doesn't stop me from trying. Hell, I haven't started on roids yet (I know I will one day) and I've already gone from 180 to 210 lbs this year (though some unwanted fat is along for the ride).
And being only 24, I know that I have a lot more growing years, so when I'm a troll (corwin) I'm gonna be a huge muscled one!

My point here is think of how frustrated you get trying to tell guys why you don't want to be huge, reverse that and you'll see what I have to go through when I tell people in real life why I want to be big!
  #12   Add to buffdoc's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 9th, 2006, 08:46 PM

buffdoc
Send a message via Yahoo to buffdoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopyrhino2001
Thanks for the support, guys. Obviously we all have different goals for ourselves. It just irks me when people tell me there must be something "wrong" with me for not wanting to become a huge muscle guy. Thanks for letting me get that off my (small) chest.
I will second what others have basically said. You as an individual set your own fitness goals and expectations. Maintaining and building a fitness model look can be as equally challenging as hulking up massive. Each requires a different set of training tools and nutrition but both are quite demanding so choosing one over the other doesn't imply anything regarding ambition or motivation.
  #13   Add to Yachirobi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 10th, 2006, 05:30 AM
R O C K S T A R

Yachirobi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Yachirobi
The biggest muscles look best on cartoon characters because they're designed to carry massive amounts of muscle. Very few real people can get huge and look good at the same time. Even at that having big muscles can be a problem from a lifestyle and social standpoint.

That said, anytime I run across musclemen in life or in my line of work they get nothing but good treatment from me--and if they asked then they'd get GREAT treatment! (Okay, enough inuendo.)

I think that's why I fantasize about guys who get huge but who don't necessarily stay huge. It's the fun of being that big and that strong instantly but still being able to go back to regular size in an flash. There are more than a few times when I wish I was huge just to scare someone off or lure someone in or have more strength, but despite my less-than-stellar body I'm happy with the way I am.
  #14   Add to Jaik-D-Man's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 10th, 2006, 06:37 AM

Jaik-D-Man is on a distinguished road
Well, i'm the overwieght since childhood type, nothing too big to fit in an airline seet, but lets just say my pant size is in the high 30's. So i really just wanna trim it all into muscle, something remotely close to some guys i know. Right now at the gym i'm doing pecs so i actually have a chest (the irony; all this fat and you can feel the ribs through my chest)

As for fantasy-wise, i tend to like something like junior bodybuilder style; something noticable, but able to fit in average cloths and such (most of my "Man" morphs tend to illustrate that).

And as what Yachirobi said in his last part, same here, just once i'd like to feel what it's like to be as buff and ripped as Jiri, but just for a short time, just as an ego boost (needless to say dropping a pant size doesn't cut it that much).
  #15   Add to TheMM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 12th, 2006, 01:42 PM
"This is no trick!"

TheMM is on a distinguished road
I'm the exact opposite of you Jaik. Absolutely nothing there! (ie, no fat or muscle) If I had a little bit of something I would be happy. *goes to find muscle growth serum*

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options