Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to LittleArm's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 2nd, 2006, 10:50 PM

LittleArm
Send a message via Yahoo to LittleArm
Older bodybuilders

As a teen, I stared in awe at the photos in bodybuilding magazines. These muscle hulks were the epitome of what it meant to be a "man" to me. And I think many people still enjoy the idea of huge musclemen being superior to us mere mortals. (Real relationships are different; I'm talking about the fantasy.) I'm noticing that as I'm getting older (40 isn't so far away) many of the up-and-coming bodybuilding stars don't seem so... well... "manly" to me. Men like Ronnie Rockell or Chris Cook have these phenomenal physiques, yet I look at them and they seem almost boyish in a way. Even their pouches don't as impressive as they did in my early years.

it's not that I don't admire their builds, I do. I REALLY do. It's just that I finding new appreciation for the older bodybuilders, with more rugged faces and more muscle maturity. Is that making sense to anyone?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to chuckiebear's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 3rd, 2006, 08:22 AM

chuckiebear is on a distinguished road
Oh, yeahhhh! It takes a real manly man to inspire that deep-down-to-your-prostate feeling of admiration. He makes you feel you could spend the rest of your life in his crushing bearhug. That the two of you could grow in muscularity together to become a unite and unstoppable force of virility. The younger guys make fantastic eye candy, and are certainly praise-worthy. But an older muscle wizard is to be respected, feared, and rewarded with devotion.
  #3   Add to TheMM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 3rd, 2006, 01:50 PM
"This is no trick!"

TheMM is on a distinguished road
Don't forget to be creamed over! That's the best part.
  #4   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 9th, 2007, 11:22 PM
DaBigGuy1

DaBigGuy1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to DaBigGuy1
Very interesting thread, I thought I'd revive it.

Yes, there was something about the old-school bodybuilders. Not only is there a raw manliness in their persona, than AND now, but they did pave the way for today's current crop on superheavyweight monsters. And the older bodybuilders did not have the advanced chemistry available to them that is available now. I do agree, I do like the current crop of bodybuilders and I do respect the hard work that goes with achieveing their physiques, but yes there is still something lacking.

Now, what I REALLY admire is the older bodybuilders and musclemen 35 and up that still keep on top of their game and still have those great physiques and defy the preconception that once you get to a certain age you either just become a fat couch potato or pull the dirt up over your head......

And sign me: 47 and SOO PROUD of it!

Ron IIII----IIII
  #5   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 10th, 2007, 12:32 AM

CelticMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
I quite agree with all the above comments

and as I have mentioned before happen to know several bodybuilders from what could be described as the "older" class.

Of the ones that are online now on my lists, we have:

a 55 year old former British Masters Powerlifting Champion
a 40 year old former NPC Heavyweight State Champion

but I also speak to on a regular basis

a 71 year old Emerald Cup Grand Master Champion (2004, 2005, 2006)
a 64 natural pro (who is in training for his first pro contest)
a 54 year old natural (who entered his first contest last year and is entering another contest this year)
and my own personal favourite (simply because I can relate to him so much) a 40 year old personal trainer who is entering his first contest later this year.
  #6   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 11th, 2007, 03:51 PM

CelticMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
I suspect I can guess what will happen to my PM box after this!

Quote:
Growing old is not what it used to be. Once, advancing years meant growing frail, a loss of independence and a body that was shrinking fast ? but not any more. ONE life meets the senior citizens who refuse to let it all hang out.

This film enters the lives of the grannies and granddads who live for their workouts and weights, their rippling muscles and their fake tans. It takes a look inside their lives, discovering the rigorous training and strict diets that dominate their existence, and follows them as they take to the stage to battle it out for the coveted title of champion body-builder.

Eric, 70, is about to realise a dream as he travels to California to compete against the world's top body-builders ? aged over 70. Ted, 65, is a veteran of over 200 body-building competitions, yet he yearns for first prize. Bernie, 61, has an extraordinary, Hulk-like body, which continues to defy gravity. Unfortunately for wife Linda, maintaining his physique means a life ruled by his training routine. Meanwhile, glamorous Kathy spends her days juggling her weights, belly-dancing and life with husband, Mike ? all in an attempt to keep the bingo wings at bay.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pro...55_onelife.jpg

I will be recording this programme and will create a DVD copy for all those interested. As there is bound to be a lot of interest in this I will have to charge a nominal $1 fee as well as postage.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options