The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Watch Me Grow
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Watch Me Grow Discuss your own personal muscle goals and document your bodybuilding progress, including gains in size and strength and also get encouragement from others.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to beta1000us's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 26th, 2007, 02:44 AM

beta1000us has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to beta1000us
New to the gym but I wanna get HUGE.

Hey guys-
I've been a member of this board for a long time, but I've never posted. I want to be big, but have never really tried at it. I decided to take a pro-active approach to, well, everything. So, I've joined a gym (Bally's). Problem is, I've never worked out. Ever. My high school didn't have a weight room, and being the raging queen I am, I opted for dance instead of actually going for any real sports. I've wanted to get big since I was 12, I've just never had the gumption to actually do anything. But- I've taken the first step and joined the gym.
But now what? I'm 20, and have ridiculously high expectations (hey, I live in Hollywood, I can't help it), but I am 20 pounds overweight and have a problem actually motivating myself enough to get my ass to the gym again (havn't been since I signed up... not good, since it was a week ago). I'd be glad for assistance or encouragement from anyone.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to 1bigwoof's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 26th, 2007, 06:03 AM
MASS Matters

1bigwoof is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Starting Out

Well, you're right....you've made the first step by actually buying the membership. Now comes the real test though. How much do you really want it? If you're truly serious, set out a plan at the beginning of the week. As a beginner, I would suggest that you plan on three workouts a week (e.g. M-W-F). If you miss one, make it up on Sat.

Every gym has instructors on hand. They won't be your private trainers but they will show you how to use the equipment without hurting yourself. When I first started, I knew nothing about working out. I started doing 2 sets of each exercise of a row of machines in my gym. I wrote down my weights and repetitions each time and gradually increased the amounts and number of sets.

If you can just get a reasonably consistent schedule and monitor your progress, you will see some results--probably both in the mirror and on paper. This will be very motivating to you to keep it up. Once you get into a good workout routine, you can monitor your diet to see if you need to make any adjustments to really get your system going.

Don't expect results in a week. You might write down your weight and measurements now and then check them out again in a month. You may just like what you see!
  #3   Add to DonnieJvilleNC's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 26th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Pop Culture Savant

DonnieJvilleNC is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonnieJvilleNC Send a message via MSN to DonnieJvilleNC Send a message via Yahoo to DonnieJvilleNC
Congrats on biting the bullet and joining a gym. Look at it this way...you've paid your money, now you want to get your money's worth.

I agree with 1bigwoof...a 3x a week workout routine (whole body) would be an excellent start. Try to concentrate on the basic/compound exercises. Here are some great beginner routines:
Bodybuilding.com Beginner Workout Routines

It also will help to write things down...meals, exercises, and measurements. Good luck beta1000us...we're all here to encourage and help each other!
Jacksonville, Onslow County, NC, USA
I'm reminded of the immortal last words of Socrates who said, "I Drank What?!"
  #4   Add to Jim USA's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 28th, 2007, 05:05 PM

Jim USA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim USA
Great. Now just go to the gym and workout. Make it now part of your schedule. It is now something you do. It is not extra. It is not optional. It is just something that you now do.

I started working out and just did it. Just went and worked out almost every day. Sure enough, after a couple months, I was shaving and noticed something different in the mirror. That guy who was shaving had muscles starting to show. And that guy in the mirror was me!

It will happen to you, too. Just keep going and working. Keep a log and lift more each workout. This workout stuff really works! You too will get hooked.

Jim
http://360.yahoo.com/profile-W6PMfX4...R9GoCPUI-?cq=1

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options