The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Diet & Nutrition
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Diet & Nutrition What you need to eat in order to grow.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to anrikero's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 21st, 2007, 12:16 PM

anrikero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to anrikero
Calories for Bulk Up

Yesterday I was reading a book written by a bodybuilder who gained his size counting calories in his diet.

here is the link:

http://www.fromskinnytomuscular.com/

**** I am NOT advertising this site. ****

You can see pictures there.

He says in his book that he started to put more and more protein in his diet and he didn't seem to get too much diference, and he did just the same with many supplements but nothing was really working. He felt frustrated because he had trained for 10 years and he have gained 1 or 2 pounds of muscle each year!!!

He says that what really did the change for him was increasing the calories in his diet. He says that the most important meals are the before and the after training meals, and that those meals have to have at least half your your daily calorie intake. i.e. if your diet is arount 3000 calories, you have to eat at least 1500 calories in your pre workout and post workout meals.

He said that you can't avoid some fat if you are going to bulk up and that for reaching your size goal you should put at least 50 pounds over that goal and then change your diet and workout routine to burn the fat you gained.

Well I would like to share this with you and know what you think about the pics, and about the suggestion that this person makes.
  #2   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 22nd, 2007, 01:33 AM
DaBigGuy1

DaBigGuy1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to DaBigGuy1
Hmm......

Very interesting.....

I'll have to read it again and assimilate it better. There are a few things I agree with and some I do not, but then again I have always been skeptical until I can see for myself.

He does look great in the pictures, and it would be interesting to see his before pics. I have a cousin that when he was younger, he was VERY thin (like ME!), but he was a walking muscle-anatomy chart...you could just look at him and see that if he did any PROPER training that he would grow like crazy. And after trial and error, he blew up and became a bodybuilder and fitness trainer in Bermuda. Sometimes those muscle genetics just lurk beneath the surface of the "skinny" guy.

But, let me read it again.....

Ron III--III
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #3   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 22nd, 2007, 01:42 AM
DaBigGuy1

Oops, I almost forgot......

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigGuy1
Very interesting.....

I'll have to read it again and assimilate it better. There are a few things I agree with and some I do not, but then again I have always been skeptical until I can see for myself.

He does look great in the pictures, and it would be interesting to see his before pics. I have a cousin that when he was younger, he was VERY thin (like ME!), but he was a walking muscle-anatomy chart...you could just look at him and see that if he did any PROPER training that he would grow like crazy. And after trial and error, he blew up and became a bodybuilder and fitness trainer in Bermuda. Sometimes those muscle genetics just lurk beneath the surface of the "skinny" guy.

But, let me read it again.....

Ron III--III
I agree one one VERY important point ...... You gotta eat and get those calories in! The body cannot build if there is nothing there for it to build on. I myself did not see any gains until I started watching and adding calories and eating ON SCHEDULE! And a lot!

It certainly worked for me...... (I'm eating as I type this!

Ron III---III
  #4   Add to anrikero's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 22nd, 2007, 10:38 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigGuy1
I agree one one VERY important point ...... You gotta eat and get those calories in! The body cannot build if there is nothing there for it to build on. I myself did not see any gains until I started watching and adding calories and eating ON SCHEDULE! And a lot!

It certainly worked for me...... (I'm eating as I type this!

Ron III---III

Hello Ron,

Thanks for reading. I wanted to put this info here to see precisely what people think about it. So, according to you it is important to have those calories in. But do you disagree with the fact that the most importan meals are the pre and post workout ones? You didn't tell us what you disagreed with. Thanks again
  #5   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 24th, 2007, 12:33 AM
DaBigGuy1

Hey there!

Hmm.... I didn't say what I disagreed with, did I? LOL!! Well, first off, I agree with the pre and post workout meals, definitely. ESPECIALLY the post-workout meal as you have totally torn down the muscles and depleted the glycogen stores in your body and they need to be re-plenished. There are other factors at play, but it gets rather wordy and would be a REALLY LONG POST! So, yes, I agree with the pre and post workout meals.

I am at odds with his idea of training frequency, as I think that everyone is different, but that is an individual thing. I know I myself will not workout for no more than 1 hour 15-20 minutes in a gym, but I will go more often than three times a week. And then it depends on many variables....how I feel, what my nutrition has been like that day or the previous day, how my body "feels", etc etc. That dictates my workout frequency.

But, I would have to read the book, which may never happen as I have pretty much figured out what works for me, and the other variable of I would have absolutely no idea what the author was doing in his training to make his gains...

In short, "Caveat Emptor"

(My Two Cents... )

Ron III-----III
  #6   Add to anrikero's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 24th, 2007, 01:35 PM

Regarding the training frequency, I have recently discovered something similar in my case. I mean, before going to the gym I evaluate how I am feeling that day, if my nutrition has been good, if I have enough energy, If I have had a good rest, etc... So I agree with you: you should evaluate what works for you because everybody is different.

You definetively KNOW what you are doing. IT SHOWS!!!

(clap, clap, clap)

I am starting to eat more, specially on these meals (pre and post workout) and I am starting to see results.

May I ask you, how long, according to your experience, should be a bulking phase? I have read that for a year, but I don't know what people say about this. It is a good question to start a new thread?

Back to you.
  #7   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 24th, 2007, 08:50 PM
DaBigGuy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrikero
Regarding the training frequency, I have recently discovered something similar in my case. I mean, before going to the gym I evaluate how I am feeling that day, if my nutrition has been good, if I have enough energy, If I have had a good rest, etc... So I agree with you: you should evaluate what works for you because everybody is different.

You definetively KNOW what you are doing. IT SHOWS!!!

(clap, clap, clap)

I am starting to eat more, specially on these meals (pre and post workout) and I am starting to see results.

May I ask you, how long, according to your experience, should be a bulking phase? I have read that for a year, but I don't know what people say about this. It is a good question to start a new thread?

Back to you.
And CLAP CLAP CLAP to you! Judging from your avatar you are definitely doing your homework!

As far as how long a bulking phase should be, that's a good question as I feel as if I have been on a 15 year bulking phase! For me it has always been hard to put a timetable on it (bulking up phase) as again, it is about what my progress is like, if there has been growth, if I feel that the body needs the rest, etc etc. I can remember one time I was on a bulkng phase, and after a few months I started to just "feel" heavy and cumbersome. And that was a case of the body just getting too big too fast, so I adjusted and throttled back on my training for a few weeks, and then started back on the heavy training and eating to kick start growth again....

Hope that helps a bit!

Now, back to you....

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options