You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to 1bigwoof's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 29th, 2007, 06:45 AM
MASS Matters

1bigwoof is on a distinguished road
Calves

Have any of you ever had a muscle spasm in your calf? I have them occasionally and it is some of the most excruciating pain I have ever experienced. With me, it occurs most frequently either in the middle of the night or right when I wake up and stretch.

I'm interested to know: 1) if others experience this pain; 2) if anyone knows what causes it; and 3) what is the best way to treat it.

My pain this morning went away finally after intense massage and a heating pad. Thanks for any feedback.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 29th, 2007, 08:54 AM

CelticMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
What you had was a "charley horse"

A charley horse is a North American term for a painful contusion (bruise) of the quadriceps muscle of the anterior thigh, which commonly results in a muscular hematoma and sometimes several weeks of pain and disability.1,2 It often occurs in sports when an athlete is struck by an opponent's knee, in a manner not unlike the kick of a horse, perhaps the reason for its name. In the UK, such an injury is known as a Dead Leg, corky, or corkie. In recent decades the term has also been used to describe painful leg cramps, which may occur in the thigh, arch of the foot, toes, calf muscle, or quadriceps.

Unlike leg cramps, however, a charley horse can occur when the muscle in question is not being used, such as while lying in bed.

The quadriceps contusion type of "charley horse" is initially treated by icing. Recent studies have shown that the resulting tightness and contractures that sometimes ensue can be lessened by maintaining the knee in a fully bent position for the first 24 hours to prevent the involved muscles from going into spasm. Premature return to activity can result in calcification of the hematoma in and around the muscle, a long-term problem called myositis ossificans.

A cramp can be quickly defused with either a massage or stretching of the affected muscle. Persistent cramps should be treated by a doctor.
  #3   Add to chocomus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 29th, 2007, 09:25 AM
LDF (Lazy Drawing Freak)

chocomus is on a distinguished road
I know what you mean!
i've had them too. Once was when waking up and you're a bit dizzy. I've learned that stretching like after working out calves makes the pain to go quickly (although you still will be sore some time after it)
  #4   Add to 1bigwoof's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 29th, 2007, 08:18 PM
MASS Matters

Replies

CelticMuscle,

Thank you for the thorough reply you offered. I've never heard my problem referred to as a "Charley Horse" but I can see where that description might apply. An athletic friend of mine advised that this condition can be caused by dehydration and/or a potassium deficiency.

Chocomus,

Thanks also for your comments. I'll keep the stretching idea in mind.
  #5   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 30th, 2007, 01:09 AM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
The following is an excerpt from:

Leg cramps: differential diagnosis and management. John D. Riley and Suresh J. Antony. American Family Physician v52.n6 (Nov 1, 1995): pp1794(5).

PHYSICAL MANEUVERS

As previously mentioned, Weiner and Weiner[3] postulated that nocturnal leg cramps are caused by sudden contraction of the gastrocnemius or soleus muscle (the so-called "charley horse"), with the foot in a passively plantar-flexed position from which the involved muscles shorten beyond the physiologic limit into a painful cramp.

To prevent the occurrence of such cramping, the patient may attempt maneuvers to maintain the foot in dorsiflexion. Weiner and Weiner[3] suggest placing a pillow to prop up the feet at the end of the bed or lying in the prone position, possibly with the feet hanging over the end of the bed. When the cramping occurs, the patient should promptly massage the calf muscles and dorsiflex the foot. This approach tends to relieve pain within a few minutes.

Daniell[12] suggests that leg cramps may be prevented by stretching the calf muscles prophylactically in simple exercises.

[This was retrieved from Health Reference Center Academic, a Thomson Gale database. As it says in the database, "Disclaimer: This information is not a tool for self-diagnosis or a substitute for professional care.")

So the stretching suggestions sound good and I'd go talk to my family practice folks. They might suggest some lab work to make sure your potassium levels etc. aren't out of whack and/or refer you to a physical therapist / sports medicine clinic for follow up.

If you search medical databases for more information, "leg / physiopathology" and "muscle cramp / therapy" are probably better subject terms to use than "Charley Horse," which is a colloquial North American term.

Hope this helps!

xoxo

Richard
who is, after all, a reference librarian...
  #6   Add to TheMM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 30th, 2007, 08:46 PM
"This is no trick!"

TheMM is on a distinguished road
Charlie's Horses

"Hello horses."
*neighing*

I get those as well. Usually when I first wake up. Only unlike others I get mine on a six-week schedule, in fact I'm due for one on April... 9th. Getting lotsa potassium (as mentioned) and calcium (yes calcium) makes the pain go away faster and can prevent it from calcifing or whatever that's called.

Moral of this post: Eat banana splits if you think you're gonna get a charlie horse.

"Put your controller on the floor...Put it down as flat as you can...That's good. Now I will move your controller by the power of my will alone!"
  #7   Add to 1bigwoof's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 31st, 2007, 11:34 AM
MASS Matters

Replies

Thanks MM & Richard, I appreciate your insight!
  #8   Add to 1bigwoof's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:56 AM
MASS Matters

Ouch!

I hadn't had any more instances of this until Monday. I had had an awesome chest/tricep workout that morning. At lunchtime, I had just finished eating, when I experienced the horrific pain again---but this time, it was in my right tricep! On the positive side, those around me noticed how huge my triceps have gotten. One even said, "your arm looks like it has a canyon" because my tri was flexed so tightly! The bad news was that it hurt even worse than the calf pain.

More bananas, more calcium....I know.
  #9   Add to TheMM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 6th, 2007, 12:04 PM
"This is no trick!"

TheMM is on a distinguished road
Teaches you a lesson don't it? Your mother always told you to keep your elbows off the table, and now you didn't so look what happened.

Actual piece of advice: Don't work out your arms for a few days (that includes any exercise that doesn't focus on your arms.) Although truthfully I'm sure you'll do that.

"Put your controller on the floor...Put it down as flat as you can...That's good. Now I will move your controller by the power of my will alone!"

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options