The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > Muscle Growth Media
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Muscle Growth Media Registered Members Only: Remember seeing The Hulk literally bust out of his clothes on TV as a kid? Talk about other muscle growth sightings in the movies, television, websites and other media. View and post before & after bodybuilding progress photos, morphs, illustrations and other male muscle growth-themed media.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to unhulkingfigure's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 10th, 2007, 08:55 AM

unhulkingfigure
How big are the pros?

If you've never seen the pro bodybuilders in person, it can be hard to imagine just how big they are.

I've taken some photos of fairly well-built fellas and swapped out half their bodies with those of pro bodybuilders, trying to match torso or leg length. Of course, even among the pros, El Sonbaty, Ruhl, and Cutler were never considered small (And then there's Kovacs; Padilla makes regular well-built guys look tiny, and Kovacs makes Padilla look tiny)....

An Asian fellow at a pool, El Sonbaty's legs:
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...lsonbaty06.jpg

Same fellow, Ruhl's torso:
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...-a060207_0.jpg

A small well-defined model and Jay Cutler's legs:
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...ai-2d6b4-4.jpg

Last edited by unhulkingfigure; April 10th, 2007 at 09:01 AM.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to skumbum's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 10th, 2007, 09:36 AM

skumbum is on a distinguished road
Nice job, weird contrast!
  #3   Add to Bull's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:08 AM

Bull
Send a message via AIM to Bull Send a message via Yahoo to Bull
An interesting idea. It IS hard for people who haven't seen a pro in person to understand just how big they are. Pictures don't cut it. Even video usually doesn't, because you don't see them in normal contexts with normal people. It always annoys me when I hear some kid in the gym saying something like: "So-and-so isn't so great. Look how small he is!" when I know that if that person walked-in right then the kid would be so awestruck he wouldn't be able to speak at all. It is the one reason I recommend that they go to contests, so they get a clue about what real size is. God knows the shows themselves are exercises in tedium.
  #4   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 10th, 2007, 01:39 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
"Big guys - contrast"

If you've ever watched a pro football game, and seen a "typical" linebacker [6'5" 280-320#] standing near or next to a "regular-sized person" (like the coach for instance) you get some idea of the scale.

The thing about bodybuilders is that they strive for symmetry, or balanced development of their entire bodies. The result is that they look "average" in the abstract.

It's only when one body part is grossly exaggerated in comparison to the rest of that bodybuilder's own body (think Platz's legs, Arnold's arms or pecs, Greg Valentino's "synth-arms") that you get some sense of just how big they are. Look at a video clip of Batista walking and his thighs literally wobble from all the muscle mass. Amazing!

Also, very cool!

Mdlftr
  #5   Add to Bull's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 11th, 2007, 03:12 PM

Bull
Very true, Mdlftr. In a strange way, the "better" the physique, the less impressive it can seem in photos, because nothing stands out.
  #6   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 11th, 2007, 03:54 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Agree with you, Bull! Another thing, the...

...saturation of images plays tricks on your mind as well. If you've just seen an entire website of built, more built and really built guys, you tend to lose perspective and can't really process how HUMUNGOUS pro bb'ers are.

I'm 6'3", and smugly (and rightly) think of myself as taller than most bbers. [Not bigger, just taller ]

I went to the 2004 Arnold and saw a bunch of pro and former pro bbers and fitness models. Short, yeah! [Rich Gaspari and Mark Alvisi in particular are quite small and short. Lee Labrada is short, but chiseled like a work of art, even in street clothes. Shawn Ray is short, but has a major chest, showcased in his tight white knit shirt. The women are (warning, non-PC statement coming up here) hideous - severely pockmarked and lined faces, with musculature that looks like a high school linebacker -- ripped and nicely shaped, but the faces!!! And the chests/whatevers they are...Uh! Not what nature intended at all! ]
Some bodybuilders however, are just OVERWHELMING - Art Atwood is what I would consider medium height, maybe 5'10" or so. Absolutely huge calves. They boggle the mind and have to be seen to be believed. He is also wiiiide- like two "regular" people standing side by side. Lou Ferrigno is just a big guy - quite good looking, and in magnificent shape for any age, let alone 50+!

Bottom line, as seen in the magazines or on the net, with the right lighting, the most flattering poses, and airbrushing, bbers. look beautiful-- all muscle, no flaws. In person, they are still impressive, big and strong, but, their faces and bodies show the strain of all the forced feeding, lifting, dieting and "supplementing". They pay a price for their look.

I admire their dedication -- I wouldn't pay their price.
  #7   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 11th, 2007, 09:16 PM
DaBigGuy1

DaBigGuy1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to DaBigGuy1
This is a very good post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlftr
...saturation of images plays tricks on your mind as well. If you've just seen an entire website of built, more built and really built guys, you tend to lose perspective and can't really process how HUMUNGOUS pro bb'ers are.

I'm 6'3", and smugly (and rightly) think of myself as taller than most bbers. [Not bigger, just taller ]

I went to the 2004 Arnold and saw a bunch of pro and former pro bb'ers and fitness models. Short, yeah! [Rich Gaspari and Mark Alvisi in particular are quite small and short. Lee Labrada is short, but chiseled like a work of art, even in street clothes. Shawn Ray is short, but has a major chest, showcased in his tight white knit shirt. The women are (warning, non-PC statement coming up here) hideous - severely pockmarked and lined faces, with musculature that looks like a high school linebacker -- ripped and nicely shaped, but the faces!!! And the chests/whatevers they are...Uh! Not what nature intended at all! ]
Some bodybuilders however, are just OVERWHELMING - Art Atwood is what I would consider medium height, maybe 5'10" or so. Absolutely huge calves. They boggle the mind and have to be seen to be believed. He is also wiiiide- like two "regular" people standing side by side. Lou Ferrigno is just a big guy - quite good looking, and in magnificent shape for any age, let alone 50+!

Bottom line, as seen in the magazines or on the net, with the right lighting, the most flattering poses, and airbrushing, bbers. look beautiful-- all muscle, no flaws. In person, they are still impressive, big and strong, but, their faces and bodies show the strain of all the forced feeding, lifting, dieting and "supplementing". They pay a price for their look.

I admire their dedication -- I wouldn't pay their price.
I agree big time with Mdlftr. Our perceptions do get altered by what we see in the muscle mags and online. Most of the time we are seeing these guys at their best and biggest. Many MANY years ago I used to think that the pros walked around in contest shape ALL YEAR LONG! NOT! Fortunately I like the big blown muscle look.

For me, I found it dis-illusioning. Dont get me wrong, I have seen pros at contests and yes, they are REALLY big, but to me they are not as SUPER-HUGE as I would have expected them to be in person. I have met Art Atwood and taked with him and even took a pic with him, and looking at the pic he is slightly larger than I, but not by much at all (not bragging at all, just an observation). And at this same contest I can remember seeing this really huge guy walking up on us from a distance. I looked twice and I could see this guy was really big, so I just kept watching as he came closer......it was Ronnie Coleman! Now, this guy was a freak (and UNGODLY BICEPS/TRICEPS!), but I guess that I have been jaded by the mags as I was expected to be really blown away and was just taken aback, but not floored. Who knows, maybe I simply have been looking at WAY too many big muscle pics, or I have been underestimating myself? I'd like to think the latter, but I don't feel that I will EVER be big enough.

Ron III----III
  #8   Add to Absman420's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 12th, 2007, 02:35 AM

Absman420 is on a distinguished road
I was driving home after a family holiday and stopped at a gas station/rest stop on I-95 when this man went strolling past me who had traps up to his ears! He was just ungodly huge! I'd never seen anything like it -- bigger than any man I'd ever seen before. After a second or two, I recognized him as Mat Duvall.

Naturally, I followed him into the men's room -- peed at the urinal next to him -- and finally said, as we were washing hands, "Hey, you're Mat Duvall."

Whether he was surprised to be recognized or surprised by the attention, I don't know -- he was wary -- but just before he was about to rebuke me, I said, "We have the same tattoo!" I raised the sleeve of my t-shirt, exposing my S-shield and did a tricep press-flex, so my shoulder would flex, too.

He smiled and turned so HIS s-shield was next to mine and we flexed together in the mirror! Was a seminal moment for me...

Walked back out to his car with him -- which had a gigantic white S-shield on the rear window -- where he introduced me to his wife. He made me show her my tattoo. She rolled her eyes and said, "ANOTHER one..."

Anyway, we shook hands, loaded ourselves up in our respective cars and moved on. My sister, riding with me, said, "Only you could meet a huge bodybuilder in the middle of a rest stop."

Oh, if only I could meet Gary Strydom along the side of the road...
  #9   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 12th, 2007, 02:40 AM
DaBigGuy1

DaBigGuy1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to DaBigGuy1
Damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absman420
I was driving home after a family holiday and stopped at a gas station/rest stop on I-95 when this man went strolling past me who had traps up to his ears! He was just ungodly huge! I'd never seen anything like it -- bigger than any man I'd ever seen before. After a second or two, I recognized him as Mat Duvall.

Naturally, I followed him into the men's room -- peed at the urinal next to him -- and finally said, as we were washing hands, "Hey, you're Mat Duvall."

Whether he was surprised to be recognized or surprised by the attention, I don't know -- he was wary -- but just before he was about to rebuke me, I said, "We have the same tattoo!" I raised the sleeve of my t-shirt, exposing my S-shield and did a tricep press-flex, so my shoulder would flex, too.

He smiled and turned so HIS s-shield was next to mine and we flexed together in the mirror! Was a seminal moment for me...

Walked back out to his car with him -- which had a gigantic white S-shield on the rear window -- where he introduced me to his wife. He made me show her my tattoo. She rolled her eyes and said, "ANOTHER one..."

Anyway, we shook hands, loaded ourselves up in our respective cars and moved on. My sister, riding with me, said, "Only you could meet a huge bodybuilder in the middle of a rest stop."

What a GREAT story and experience! I myself have always liked Mat Duvall, and to flex with him...JEEZ!

And if you EVER run across Gary Strydom, please PLEASE post it imediately!

Take care, BIG GUY!

Ron IIII----IIII
  #10   Add to Bull's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 12th, 2007, 09:31 AM

Bull
Well, the height factor certainly comes into play as well. Seeing a bunch of pros in a line-up, you don't realize how short they mostly are. I'm 6'3", and am nearly always staring down at a competitive bodybuilder when I meet one. Kind of removes the "wow" factor.
  #11   Add to thedman's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 12th, 2007, 01:02 PM

thedman is on a distinguished road
The Height Factor Continued.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull
Well, the height factor certainly comes into play as well. Seeing a bunch of pros in a line-up, you don't realize how short they mostly are. I'm 6'3", and am nearly always staring down at a competitive bodybuilder when I meet one. Kind of removes the "wow" factor.
I recently, last fall, met Jay Cutler. It was about six weeks before the Olympia. He was here in the boonies because of a new nutrition store opening.

Anyway, I was amazed at how small he really looked. Granted, he was already starting to show signs of the body that would dethrone Ronnie, but still.....

I used to always feel bad because I would take an objective look at my own body and realize that that kind of size, shape, and definition would never happen for me. (wrong muscle insertions, short muscle bellys, etc) This really helped me to see that I was not totally left out of the genetic crap shoot.

I am 6'5" tall and 270 with a mild spare tire (no more than a 14" ) 34" sleeve length, 36-38" inseam and a (with spare tire) 38" waist Yes, I am long, but now that I am losing the spare tire, I can start to see a drop from my chest to waist! Wohoo!

The pro's are just regular guys (for the most part) who have made the sacrifices necessary to get to that state. I respect the effort. But I don't feel bad about myself anymore....I am curious to see just how far I can take this fourty-year-old body...with all due respect to others...HUZZZAH for me!
  #12   Add to suma's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 12th, 2007, 09:18 PM

suma is on a distinguished road
I agree with Mdlifter and DaBigGuy1
maybe I've seen so many pics of bbers or morphs that now I'm hardly ever floored just by the size of a guy. Or maybe it's because over the years I have gotten pretty good size on myself that I'm not so impressed.

But I am still floored sometimes by the muscle shape, definition, or separation displayed on some physiques. or the way some guys have the ability to isolate a certain muscle and control it.
at one gym there was this young hispanic kid who had great genes for bbing. he had those super round, super high peaked biceps that JUMPED to attention whenever he flexed slightly. I could never get enough of seeing that !!!

I'll aslso never forget seeing in perosn Noah Steere at the Arnold Expo. He's very tall (6'5) over 300lbs. and unlike really tall bbers who often can't fill out their long frames, Noah has done it well . His arms are THICK with muscle. what a sight to behold !!!

and like DaBigGuy I also prefer the off season, pre-contest or post contest look over the super trimmed down contest ready condition.
  #13   Add to tarmangani's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 01:36 AM

tarmangani is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absman420

Your wish came true for me. A couple of years ago I was in line behind this mountain of a man at The Koo Koo Roo in Venice, CA. I'm 6'1" and I felt like I was standing behind a large commercial refrigerator. Turns out the refrigerator was Gary Strydom. I wanted to say something, but I got the vibe that he didn't want to be bothered. Having a physique that size and quality he must get approached a lot. Having always been impressed when seeing him "in print" it was great to see how huge he is "on the hoof".

Last edited by tarmangani; May 22nd, 2007 at 02:12 AM.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options