Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to LG2005's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 13th, 2007, 09:22 PM

LG2005 is on a distinguished road
OK! Enought with the SPAM Where's the monitors?

What's with all the SPAM showing up here. This used to be a great site to come to because almost every thread was real people, I see 4 SPAM in here tonight and it's been increasing for the last couple of months. The word is getting around that nobody's watching the store.

Give us a button to push to complain about SPAMish threads.

This is turning into just another junk site.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Mad Dog's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 13th, 2007, 09:47 PM

Mad Dog is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Mad Dog Send a message via MSN to Mad Dog Send a message via Yahoo to Mad Dog
I agree we at least need a moderator that can ban spambots and delete threads. But another junk site this is not. :3
  #3   Add to TheMM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 13th, 2007, 10:05 PM
"This is no trick!"

TheMM is on a distinguished road
Agreed. Although I will admit that thankfully the main gist of the spam stays in the "Off-Topic" section, even though we all wish that it wasn't here at all. I mean, once spam starts and gets a foothold, it don't stop easily.

It would only take just one person who comes on here often enough to keep the spam threads down and whatnot.

I personally think the spam started because the site got large enough "Spam Companies" thought it could use some.

Any volunteers perhaps?

P.S. This is a junk site, because we beat our junk lots.

"Put your controller on the floor...Put it down as flat as you can...That's good. Now I will move your controller by the power of my will alone!"
  #4   Add to Lukullus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 14th, 2007, 12:07 AM

Lukullus
Send a message via Skype™ to Lukullus
Well, I would like to take that part.

I have been moderator on a few websites for about 5 years and was quite happy with my work. I left the boards, because the atmospehre there got very rude.

I would be very happy to help this amazing board, because I visit this site every day, if not at least twice a day and I just love this site very much!

Lukullus

Last edited by Lukullus; April 14th, 2007 at 12:14 AM.
  #5   Add to Lukullus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 14th, 2007, 12:07 AM

Lukullus
Send a message via Skype™ to Lukullus
Ooops, sorry...
Accidentely posted twice...

SHAME ON ME!!!

Last edited by Lukullus; April 14th, 2007 at 12:13 AM.
  #6   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 14th, 2007, 07:06 AM

optimusx is on a distinguished road
Hey guys,

Thankfully most of the spam is limited to the off topic forum, but on the occasion you see spam, just click on the little exclamation mark in the white triangle that's found in the upper right corner of each post. This will notify the moderators (er me and Flexodus) that an offending post has popped up.

We do try our best to kill the spam when we see it, but many times as soon as we delete one message another will pop up.

OptimusX
  #7   Add to mjdj99's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 14th, 2007, 11:28 PM

mjdj99 is on a distinguished road
Can't you just delete all of the obvious advertisements and solicitations? The moderators do a great job of moving most of the spam to the off topic area, but when using the view new posts feature they all still show up. I feel like I'm being badgered every time I view all the new posts because even though they are partitioned off in another area, I still have to sift through them all just to find the new legitimate posts. Why let them advertise on here, they aren't paying you for taking up space. And it only creates a nuisance for everyone else.
  #8   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 15th, 2007, 08:21 AM

optimusx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdj99
Can't you just delete all of the obvious advertisements and solicitations?
We do. It's just not an automatic procedure. Unfortunetly if it were that easy, Yahoo Groups, MSN and the slew of PHPBB, vBulletin sites out there would have zero spam. Alas, Spammers find a way around the methods put in place to limit their ability to post.

Quote:
The moderators do a great job of moving most of the spam to the off topic area, but when using the view new posts feature they all still show up.
Thank you, but we don't move spam around. It often ends up in the Off-Topic Area because that's where the spammers post the messages. The reason it shows up in the new posts feature is because, they are new posts.

Quote:
I feel like I'm being badgered every time I view all the new posts because even though they are partitioned off in another area, I still have to sift through them all just to find the new legitimate posts.
Welcome to the Internet. We try our best to get rid SPAM as soon as possible. However, the moderators do like to get off the net from time to time. Granted, we do have built in wifi (it's a standard feature in all moderators) but sometimes we just go into areas with bad signal.

Quote:
Why let them advertise on here, they aren't paying you for taking up space. And it only creates a nuisance for everyone else.
Well, we could limit ALL spam very easily. We could require EVERY single account to be authorized by a moderator as well as every single message and prevent viewing of the board or posting to any of the sections without an authorized account. The problem with that is that the effort required on both the end user and moderators to have a thriving community increases exponentially as the site becomes more popular.

The basic gist is that SPAM happens and we try our best to remove it when we see it or when we are notified it exists. You'll notice that we actually have far less SPAM than other forums of our size. The forums are offered free of charge and we try to provide the best service we can.

OptimusX
  #9   Add to 1bigwoof's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 15th, 2007, 08:29 AM
MASS Matters

1bigwoof is on a distinguished road
Spam

Thanks, OptimusX to you and Flexodus for all you do to make this a great forum. As you mentioned, this forum is free. As the "Spam Police", you have a thankless job. Rest assured, we do appreciate your efforts.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options