The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Muscle & Mind
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Yesterday at 11:53 PM

Notices

Muscle & Mind Motivation, Inspiration and The Mind. What drives you?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to Sasori434's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 4th, 2013, 11:58 PM

Sasori434 is on a distinguished road
I need Motivation and Help

So for years now i have wanted to workout... i would start too, but then get so busy that i forget and lost course... I really hate my body and I want to change it... I dont have money for gym, even if i did im afraid to go and be embarrassed or something. Or how i decided "Today i will start my journey to get buff!!!" But then next day i forget.. anyone have any ideas? right now im 6'1 and 170lbs and thats not muscle
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 5th, 2013, 02:18 AM

CelticMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasori434 View Post
So for years now i have wanted to workout... i would start too, but then get so busy that i forget and lost course... I really hate my body and I want to change it... I dont have money for gym, even if i did im afraid to go and be embarrassed or something. Or how i decided "Today i will start my journey to get buff!!!" But then next day i forget.. anyone have any ideas? right now im 6'1 and 170lbs and thats not muscle
As you come from Southern California, I would assume that you have an iPhone or other such smart device? If so, then why not try these two gadgets

1) A Celebrity Voice Alarm that tells you (in a either an Arnie voice or a Mr. T voice) that "today is the day that you start to get buff"

2) Get any app that can access YouTube and search for "bodyweight exercises"
  #3   Add to brutus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 7th, 2013, 10:19 AM

brutus is on a distinguished road
I would advise the Nike version, and just f#*k!ng do it.

Set aside some time each day (at least an hour) for a week or so and just do affirmations & visualization meditations. This will help you find a period of the day where you can set some time aside.

Then, find a place to workout near your house. Know there will be one, and know that you will meet someone there to show you the way. Many cities have recreation centers, discounted YMCA facilities, my local Gold's Gym is only $9.95/mo.

Soon enough it will just come naturally, and you won't even recognize the beast in the mirror.

Also, stop worrying what others think about your body right now: everyone started somewhere!
  #4   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 9th, 2013, 01:30 PM

The Magus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to The Magus
I spent a long time doing the same as you, I would start working out but then stop after a few weeks or months, and so I showed practically no progress for years.

What did it for me was to sit down and look at my life and really decide what I wanted. There's only so many hours in a week, and we spend them doing something, and it's a good idea to make sure that you're always working towards your goals.

For myself, I was spending a LOT of time during the week drinking alcohol, smoking weed, watching TV, eating bad food. When I looked at what those activities were costing me in time versus what I really wanted out of life, it made a lot of sense to give them up (or at least cut back).

Maybe for you, a lot of nights out with friends is more important than building muscle, and if so, that's okay, so long as you're honest with yourself. But it's a really good idea to sit down once in a while to look at your life and your goals and to make sure that your actions are in line with what you want to achieve. Make lists of pros and cons, look for where your interests overlap and where they conflict, consider compromises. When it's all in black and white, it's easier to have a plan and to follow it than if you're just kind of winging it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Magus For This Useful Post:
brutus (April 14th, 2013), sagewere (April 17th, 2013), Wynfrith (May 9th, 2013)
  #5   Add to EricRF's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 25th, 2013, 11:50 AM

EricRF is on a distinguished road
Find Someone to Train With

I found it makes a huge difference if you have someone to train with who'll be waiting for you at the gym. You could find a training partner (preferably one that's a little bit ahead of you in terms of training) or a personal trainer (a good one. They can be hard to find).

If you know you're supposed to meet someone at the gym to work out at a certain time you're more likely to show up (unless you're a shmuck, in which case you'd have to get past that too). If you've hired a trainer, then the incentive is even greater, since you've already paid for his/her time.

I know that's helped me a lot over the years.
  #6   Add to Gettinjacked26's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 15th, 2013, 07:22 AM

Gettinjacked26 is on a distinguished road
in the end you have to really want it for yourself. it has to come from within and cant be dependent on anyone else. you need to invest time in it too!

I used to be one of those people who would see someone built and say how did you do that. what routine do you follow?

i learned the hard way that if someone gives something like that to you, you are not invested in it. you have to learn for yourself and that starts with educating yourself about diet and training. there are tons of great sources online and tons of great books. i prefer the books and articles by natural bodybuilders, as they maintain a lifestyle more in line with my own. Plus unlike the IFBB pros, the naturals almost always have another job outside of bodybuilding so they live a life that is more balanced between bbing, work, family, friends, etc... I would suggest Skip La Cour and Layne Norton as a start.

Once you have the knowledge you wont need to depend on anyone else!

now time to go train legs!!
  #7   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 15th, 2013, 03:33 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettinjacked26 View Post
in the end you have to really want it for yourself. it has to come from within and cant be dependent on anyone else. you need to invest time in it too!

I used to be one of those people who would see someone built and say how did you do that. what routine do you follow?

i learned the hard way that if someone gives something like that to you, you are not invested in it. you have to learn for yourself and that starts with educating yourself about diet and training. there are tons of great sources online and tons of great books. i prefer the books and articles by natural bodybuilders, as they maintain a lifestyle more in line with my own. Plus unlike the IFBB pros, the naturals almost always have another job outside of bodybuilding so they live a life that is more balanced between bbing, work, family, friends, etc... I would suggest Skip La Cour and Layne Norton as a start.

Once you have the knowledge you wont need to depend on anyone else!

now time to go train legs!!
I couldn't agree more! Excellent advice!

Mdlftr
  #8   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 15th, 2013, 06:11 PM

The Magus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to The Magus
One of the amazing things about learning the motivation for yourself is that it adds a whole new dimension to your appreciation of other muscle guys. Now that I've been working out steady for almost 2 years, I see bodybuilders in competition or even just big guys on the street and I can begin to appreciate how much effort, time, and care goes into crafting a physique like that.

The guys we see in pictures aren't magic or special, but they ARE a product of YEARS of hard work and sweat. this isn't a sport for instant gratification, it rewards longevity. Every single day is a new chance to improve on yourself.

OP, I hope you've made some progress, because this really is an amazing endeavor.
  #9   Add to PeterMoz's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 4th, 2013, 12:25 AM

PeterMoz is on a distinguished road
Just have a poster write something down see this every day think about it and tell to your self "I want to be this" or "I need this" first make sure that your desire is sicked into your mind I do this all the times not that you will get for sure but you will work towards it to make sure you do all what you can do achieve it.l
  #10   Add to RosettaWood's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 6th, 2013, 08:19 PM

RosettaWood is on a distinguished road
I like your idea CelticMuscle. Starting the day with music motivator, so awesome.
-Rosetta
  #11   Add to an0n12's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 6th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Mobility is for wimps.

an0n12 is on a distinguished road
One thing I would suggest based on my experience when I started, get a trainer, get a trainer who actually knows what the fuck he is doing. Not only will they show you proper form, watch your progress, help you, give you a diet, and push you but the fact you are spending mo ey and have to show up at X time makes it harder to have an excuse. The potential eye candy and big guy groping you is just the sweet frosting on the muscle cake.
  #12   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 7th, 2013, 08:12 AM

Singing to the choir here.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magus View Post
One of the amazing things about learning the motivation for yourself is that it adds a whole new dimension to your appreciation of other muscle guys. Now that I've been working out steady for almost 2 years, I see bodybuilders in competition or even just big guys on the street and I can begin to appreciate how much effort, time, and care goes into crafting a physique like that.

The guys we see in pictures aren't magic or special, but they ARE a product of YEARS of hard work and sweat. this isn't a sport for instant gratification, it rewards longevity. Every single day is a new chance to improve on yourself.

OP, I hope you've made some progress, because this really is an amazing endeavor.
....But's it's still true!

Let the members of the Board say "AMEN!"

Rev. Mdlftr
  #13   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 7th, 2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by an0n12 View Post
One thing I would suggest based on my experience when I started, get a trainer, get a trainer who actually knows what the fuck he is doing. Not only will they show you proper form, watch your progress, help you, give you a diet, and push you but the fact you are spending mo ey and have to show up at X time makes it harder to have an excuse. The potential eye candy and big guy groping you is just the sweet frosting on the muscle cake.
I don't know about the groping part --- if any groping goes on, I want to be the one doing it, but I digress --- A knowledgeable trainer is key.

You also have some personal responsibility it this. You need to start paying attention to your own body and what it is telling you. For example, soreness. Bad sore=overused tendons. Good sore=belly of muscle is fatigued because you can't do another rep in that set. Learning which is which is key. In my own case I overused my biceps tendon working upper body. I'm doing PT now and it really helps. A very experienced gym member told me about his own experiences with that, and what he had done to make it better: he faithfully warmed up (defined as breaking a sweat) before he did ANY exercises. He then did his PT, followed by whatever lifting he was doing. After that, he iced the sore areas. It works!

This particular gym member is huge: 5'11", 240#, 54" chest....He KNOWS what he is doing! These are the kind of people you want to ask for advice. Also, he's seen me at the gym over the years. He knows I'm serious and won't waste his or my time with questions.

Good luck! There is no instant gratification in lifting or in life. If it is, it's usually fast food --- and we know what that does!

Good lifting!

Mdlftr
The Following User Says Thank You to Mdlftr For This Useful Post:
an0n12 (September 7th, 2013)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size