The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences Got a friend who went from geek to stud? (Or was that YOU who got huge?) Share your real-life muscle growth experiences.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 19th, 2013, 08:16 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Mearurements, sch-measurements!

I thought about the whole "what are your measurements" question today, after a question from a member here.

Although I answered the question, I continued my answer by pointing out that "measurements don't tell the whole story" and sometimes, frankly, they are disappointing because they don't reflect the progress a lifter has made.

Saying, "I started out at 'x' weight, and I'm now 'y' weight," partially answers the question, but it doesn't really address how you feel when you FINALLY start seeing some progress yourself. When those suit jackets start feeling snug, when your butt takes up waaay more space in your pants, which are also hugging your thighs all of a sudden, when your shoulders stretch the sh*t out of that "loose" sweater you always throw on without a second thought -- 'then you're a growing bodybuilder, my son!' [With full credit to Rudyard Kipling and "If" for that little homage!]

Anyway to add my personal bit of muscle growth:

I'm SURE all my measurements (except my waist) are now bigger since the last time I took measurements 6-8 months ago, but I'm holding off measuring anything until I feel like my ego can take it! (Ha ha).

Seriously, my trainer saw me two days ago wearing a snug shirt while wearing a backpack on my back. [I guess it DID showcase my pecs, shoulders and arms.]

He literally bugged out his eyes and said, "Hey! You've grown!"

I said, "That's the idea! Bigger!" and I popped my pecs at him. It was a rush!

Why spoil the moment with numbers?

Mdlftr
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mdlftr For This Useful Post:
amauiguy (April 19th, 2013), brutus (April 19th, 2013), dodoria21 (April 19th, 2013), jtchef (May 21st, 2013), Ragetiger (April 19th, 2013), Shelby (April 19th, 2013)
  #2   Add to dodoria21's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 19th, 2013, 11:17 AM
growing muscle guy

dodoria21 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to dodoria21
I feel the same way.

I only weigh myself so that I can re-calculate daily macro goals if needed. The only muscle I measure are my arms cuz I just can't help it haha.

But I don't judge my progress based on the numbers. I go on how I look and feel. What others may say helps too. If someone says I look bigger, then cool! Or lately, I can just tell my muscles feel fuller and harder, so that's all I need to motivate me to push further.
  #3   Add to Ragetiger's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 19th, 2013, 03:34 PM

Ragetiger is on a distinguished road
I was shocked when I lost some of my size during my cutting phase, though I feel even stronger than normal. A few thought it was weird I lost on the chest and shoulders but not on the waist. I swear I hate that measuring tape with a passion.

I do keep a few other shots in the scraps folder http://www.furaffinity.net/user/ragetiger/
  #4   Add to charmcitywop's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 19th, 2013, 04:50 PM

charmcitywop is on a distinguished road
I only measure my arms. Keep hoping, to no avail, they are bigger.

Still 15 inches
  #5   Add to brutus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 19th, 2013, 08:44 PM

brutus is on a distinguished road
I feel that measurements are better than weight, but they are all pretty rough. The way clothes fit is better, and the way you feel when you look in the mirror is inexplicably awesome!
  #6   Add to nnnrg's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 20th, 2013, 02:12 PM

nnnrg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragetiger View Post
I was shocked when I lost some of my size during my cutting phase, though I feel even stronger than normal. A few thought it was weird I lost on the chest and shoulders but not on the waist. I swear I hate that measuring tape with a passion.
Dude, it's the cutting phase. You will get smaller as subcutaneous fat goes away. The trick is to measure at a baseline weight, not at your bulk. You probably want to fast for a day before measuring and avoid carbonated drinks, so you don't have a lot of gas, which also makes the belly bigger. If your baseline is 200# and you have 14 inch arms, then go through a build-up and cut back to 200# and find you now have 14.5 inch arms, then go you!

As far as waist size, if you don't carry a lot of fat there, it probably won't change a lot.

If you find it going up, then you may be gaining visceral fat, or if you're doing HGH, your intestines may be growing, which is going to compromise that 'small waist' effect. But if you've got the same general skin-fold thickness as at the previous time you weighed that much, then you have an unexplained expansion, and probably should see a doctor. They can tell if it's growing innards, growing visceral fat, or growing something-you-want-removed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nnnrg For This Useful Post:
Mdlftr (April 22nd, 2013), stronguns (April 21st, 2013)
  #7   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 16th, 2013, 06:07 AM

Thumbs up O.k., the results are in....

I took really quick-n-dirty measurements today: arms cold, chest cold, waist.

The results: Arms are up an inch to 3/4 of an inch from their previous baseline.
Chest is up 2 inches (yeah!)
Waist is also up an inch (or so - not fixating on this one!)

Bottom line: Arms are bigger, waist is under control (no muffin tops over the sides, thank you, and a keg rather than a 6-pack and chest is noticeably bigger.

Interestingly enough, my chest to waist differential, where my chest is typically 6 to 8 inches bigger than my waist, is holding true. It's like those are my natural proportions. It's not the 12 inch V-taper I was hoping for, but I look pretty decent!

I keep reminding myself that most of the "fitness model" pictures and "mass monster" shots are photo shopped, airbrushed and plain faked, much of the time, so the media depictions of what "men who are in shape" look like is mostly B.S.

Also, facing facts with genetics. I'm a natural ectomorph with long arms, legs, torso and great endurance. IF I needed any proof of that, I wouldn't be able to run a 5k race, with three 12-minute miles, COLD, with no training! I realize that I might not look like my muscular heros, and I don't have their ability to pack on muscle quickly or at all, in some cases, BUT I do have a good body for a lot of endurance and agility sports and activities!

Here's hoping this inspires someone else who's beating himself up because he feels like he's not "muscly" enough!

Mdlftr

Still plugging away.......

Last edited by Mdlftr; September 6th, 2013 at 05:46 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mdlftr For This Useful Post:
amauiguy (May 16th, 2013), GTlifter (May 16th, 2013), jtchef (May 21st, 2013), Ragetiger (May 16th, 2013)
  #8   Add to BigSteve6ft3's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 16th, 2013, 11:04 AM

BigSteve6ft3 is on a distinguished road
Good job! That's really nice progress.
  #9   Add to bulkybud's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 16th, 2013, 03:01 PM

bulkybud is on a distinguished road
Got a comment this week that my arms were looking good.
They are actually smaller because I'm losing weight, but are looking more muscular.
I'm hoping to move from having 'pipes' to having 'guns'.

bulkybud
  #10   Add to nnnrg's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 16th, 2013, 08:42 PM

nnnrg is on a distinguished road
OK, so in my mid to late 20s I lifted pretty good for a couple years, and at 225 (about 6') and 20% bodyfat I had 16" arms, thanks to some really harsh arm work. My training partner left the area, I moved to a different job where I wasn't able to work out - bad logistics, timing, and frankly I don't train well solo. And I managed to damage my back by lifting something too heavy the wrong way - which is really why I wanted the training partner, y'know?

After a year to recover and a few years of ultimate frisbee (before it destroyed my knees and ankles) I got down to about 215, probably 18% bodyfat, but my arms and shoulders did shrink down. Working at Intel for 10 years got me up to 265 (thank you, stress) but did not help me get any muscle.

So after some years, intermittent training fits, etc. and the joy of creeping metabolic syndrome, my wife's death from cancer in early 2006 and the sudden stress weight gain after that - I was up to about 325 briefly before they discovered two things: I had become diabetic, and while I didn't have apnea, I was getting very little sleep because I was waking up to breathe.

A mouthpiece that helped me breathe at night, medication for the diabetes, and more careful eating got me to 285, walking on a treadmill to 275, and I've been STUCK there since then.

Anyway, sometime in 2010 I got fed up, and joined a gym nearby, and paid a torturer I mean personal trainer to help me fix my many, many decrepitudes now that it was too late to prevent them.

Y'know, learning about planks may have kept me from having to use a walker.
Anyway, measurements. When I started at Bally I had 12 1/4 inch left bicep, 12 inch right bicep, and my weight has not changed. Bally is long gone, but my current trainer muttered something about me getting huge arms, so I measured them. 16 1/4 inches reasonably cold, and while I'm far from 'cut' I'd say that if I was, they'd be probably 15 1/2. Which is OK for 56, no?

But yes, meashurements schmeasurements.
  #11   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 17th, 2013, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnnrg View Post
Anyway, measurements. When I started at Bally I had 12 1/4 inch left bicep, 12 inch right bicep, and my weight has not changed. Bally is long gone, but my current trainer muttered something about me getting huge arms, so I measured them. 16 1/4 inches reasonably cold, and while I'm far from 'cut' I'd say that if I was, they'd be probably 15 1/2. Which is OK for 56, no?

But yes, meashurements schmeasurements.

NNRG,
We are "brothers under the skin!"
I'm a year younger than you, and while I've never been as big as you, I can identify with the fact that life throws curveballs and you just have to keep on swinging for the fences!

Good for you!

Mdlftr
  #12   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 17th, 2013, 05:41 AM

The Magus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to The Magus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlftr View Post
I keep reminding myself that most of the "fitness model" pictures and "mass monster" shots are photo shopped, airbrushed and plain faked, much of the time, so the media depictions of what "men who are in shape" look like is mostly B.S.

Also, facing facts with genetics. I'm a natural ectomorph with long arms, legs, torso and great endurance. IF I needed any proof of that, I wouldn't be able to run a 5k race, with three 12-minute miles, COLD, with no training! I realize that I might not look like my muscular heros, and I don't have their ability to pack on muscle quickly or at all, in some cases, BUT I do have a good body for a lot of endurance and agility sports and activities!

Here's hoping this inspires someone else who's beating himself up because he feels like he's not "muscly" enough!
The best thing anyone can do for themselves if they want to look better from working out is to stop comparing themselves to others and focus instead on being the best version of themselves. No one measures up to fitness models, not even fitness models, and the truth is that we all have qualities that are unique to ourselves, just like we have flaws we might never overcome.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Magus For This Useful Post:
Mdlftr (May 17th, 2013), Ogun (May 17th, 2013), stronguns (May 17th, 2013)
  #13   Add to Ogun's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 17th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Flaming Dreamer

Ogun is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Ogun Send a message via Skype™ to Ogun
Well said.

My Squiby!
php

My Brute! (non-Muxxu) http://perveron.mybrute.com
Muxxu info: RedCrab
  #14   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 6th, 2013, 05:42 AM

Thumbs up September 2013 update...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlftr View Post
I took really quick-n-dirty measurements today: arms cold, chest cold, waist.

The results: Arms are up an inch to 3/4 of an inch from their previous baseline.
Chest is up 2 inches (yeah!)
Waist is also up an inch (or so - not fixating on this one!)

Bottom line: Arms are bigger, waist is under control (no muffin tops over the sides, thank you, and a keg rather than a 6-pack and chest is noticeably bigger.

Interestingly enough, my chest to waist differential, where my chest is typically 6 to 8 inches bigger than my waist, is holding true. It's like those are my natural proportions. It's not the 12 inch V-taper I was hoping for, but I look pretty decent!

Mdlftr

Still plugging away.......
O.k. I took more "quick" measurements yesterday (making sure to pull the tape to my skin and hold it evenly all around [my ego couldn't stand doing it "seriously" and then getting all depressed if I didn't like the numbers!] and.....

The results:
Arms are actually slightly up from April, to the point where "cold" is
'pretty close' to former pumped
Chest is up to 45" (I'm thrilled, since this is one of those "benchmark" numbers I've had in my head for years)
Waist is unchanged!
Thighs respectable (I don't have an April measurement to compare)

What's REALLY blowing my mind here, besides the chest (!!) and arm numbers (!) is the fact that these measurements were taken COLD. Also, I have NOT specifically worked chest in several weeks, due to shoulder issues for which I am getting PT. What I AM doing is deadlifts, making sure to keep perfect form and keep my head up. I'm convinced, now more than ever, that deadlifts not only work your hamstrings and lower and mid back, but they also help your posture. They force your ribcage/upper torso to align up high, so your shoulders don't internally rotate and put your arms in front of your shoulder line.

I also NOT been pushing as hard with workouts and I don't feel so sore. I've actually gotten more rest and slept better, lately, also. Must be the wonderful end-of-summer weather!

Needless to say, "measurements, sch-measurements" has a better ring today!

Mdlftr

Last edited by Mdlftr; September 6th, 2013 at 05:53 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mdlftr For This Useful Post:
flamedelft (September 7th, 2013)
  #15   Add to msllover's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 7th, 2013, 11:01 PM
Moving Forward

msllover is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to msllover
Gratz Mdliftr!!! Proud of you buddy!!!

yahoo: storyen
The Following User Says Thank You to msllover For This Useful Post:
Mdlftr (September 8th, 2013)
  #16   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 8th, 2013, 05:15 AM

ottomun6
Send a message via Yahoo to ottomun6
Congrats Mdlftr! Sounds like those muscles are making themselves known. Keep up the faith and keep growing!
The Following User Says Thank You to ottomun6 For This Useful Post:
Mdlftr (September 8th, 2013)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options