The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to b.spencer's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 3rd, 2007, 01:53 PM
Gaining Muscle Rep by Rep

b.spencer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to b.spencer
Exercises/Stretches for Pinched Nerve ??

Hi guys,

In the last week, I've been diagnosed with a pinched nerve (specifically S1 nerve bundle down the outer right hamstring, calf, and foot). Anyway, my doc recommend that I look into some stretches and/or light weight exercises for the glutes/hams that could help loosen the clinched muscles causing the pinch, but I really don't know of any exercises that specifically targeted for those outer areas. I have lost about 1/2 my range of motion on the right leg as compared to the left when I do single calf raises and hamstring curls with a comparable loss in strength. Any suggestions??

Thanks
Brad
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to BULKING_N's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:20 AM

BULKING_N is on a distinguished road
Hey B.Spencer
Glad your doc didint tell you to simply stay away from the gym like most tend to advise their patients!

Exercises such as the seated and lying leg curls, glute ham machine ( butt blaster) and standing dumbell lunges be a good start for you. Stand on the spot, and take alternate steps forward whilst holding a pair of light dumbells. Many say the butt blaster is a woman's exercise but dont give a dam what other say. Just use it since it targets the glutes and hams. I will refrain from compound exercises like squats and deadlifts until the pain has eased up. Try to always warm up for 10 mins prior to your lower body workouts.

Stretch the hams/glutes in between sets and also prior to bed. Stretch gently and let last for approx 20 seconds. Do not bounce. Go into the stretch gradually. This is to help with regaining your range of motion!

Here are the stretches illustrated:
http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/HipFle...HipFlexor.html

http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/HipFle...HipFlexor.html

Let me know how it goes.
  #3   Add to b.spencer's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 10th, 2007, 04:23 PM

Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULKING_N
Glad your doc didn't tell you to simply stay away from the gym like most tend to advise their patients!
Can't say that my doc didn't try, but she knows that keeping me out of the gym, short of a broken bone or something, is a lost cause from the start. But, she is really good at what she does, a traditional MD who recommends supplements, alternative therapies, etc. before turning to pharmaceuticals.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I know it's too soon to see big improvements, but I can tell a difference already. I tried them yesterday (Wednesday is my normal leg day) and did the stretching today even though it is chest day. I got a couple of calf raises (no weight, just raising on my toes) out yesterday at the end of my workout, even though I was unable to support my weight without pain on a step just a few days ago.
  #4   Add to BULKING_N's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:48 PM

BULKING_N is on a distinguished road
Great! Keep us posted how it goes... Sounds like you have a good doctor..
  #5   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 04:09 PM
DaBigGuy1

DaBigGuy1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to DaBigGuy1
Was curious......

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.spencer
Can't say that my doc didn't try, but she knows that keeping me out of the gym, short of a broken bone or something, is a lost cause from the start. But, she is really good at what she does, a traditional MD who recommends supplements, alternative therapies, etc. before turning to pharmaceuticals.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I know it's too soon to see big improvements, but I can tell a difference already. I tried them yesterday (Wednesday is my normal leg day) and did the stretching today even though it is chest day. I got a couple of calf raises (no weight, just raising on my toes) out yesterday at the end of my workout, even though I was unable to support my weight without pain on a step just a few days ago.
Hey b.spencer.

Was just wondering how it is going with the pinched nerve? I had something similar going on, and every now and then I can still feel it trying to assert itself. I hope it is working out okay for you and that you are on the mend!....keep us posted.

Take care and keep pumping!

Ron IIII----IIII
  #6   Add to b.spencer's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:06 AM

Getting Better!!

Hi Ron,

Thanks for asking about me. I had an MRI last week that ruled out any vertebral body or process problems impacting the nerve. Just muscle that needs to relax and heal. Most of the neuropathy is gone, so that I have feeling in my calf muscle again. Most, but not all, of my range of motion is back, too.

Just got from the gym. I got some solid reps on the leg extension machine with 180 lbs, and I've added 15 lbs. back to my leg curls in the last two weeks. And three full sets of standing calf raises. (Gonna try with a little weight next week). Even got 10 reps squatting 225 with no pain (had some numbness that threw off my balance, so I stopped). Now, I just have to be PATIENT, not to push too hard, and let the lost size in my right side grow back. Not an easy thing for me

Brad
  #7   Add to b.spencer's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:00 AM

Some Bad News for Me . . .

Well . . . I got some bad news yesterday. My GP was reviewing the actual images (not the report) of the MRI of my L-Spine. She saw something the radiologist missed and sent it off for a second reading. I have been diagnosed with a disc herniation at L5/S1 with some mild extruded disc. (That's a big, BIG miss in my book.) While the doctor is hopeful that this will heal without surgery (My symptoms have improved greatly and continue to do so), she's referred me to the clinic that handles these types of injuries for University of Tennessee Sports in Knoxville. Go there on Friday.

One things for certain. I'm gonna have to rework my workouts for a long time to give this a chance to properly heal. Starting today, no squats, angled leg presses, deadlifts, bent over rows, overhead lifts, and , for at least a couple of workout cycles, no barbell curls or standing shrugs.

I feel like my legs have been cut out from under me, pardon the pun. But, I don't want to end up needing surgery for sure if I don;t need it now, nor being permanently crippled. So, you've gotta do what you've gotta do. I'm meeting my new PT today and will start creating a new workout for the cycle. It will most likely be more machine heavy than I like for the time being, but it may be helpful for growth, since I use machines so rarely it's a new angle of attack my body rarely sees. I've also gotten a new comprehensive lower back stretching / core strength routine. It's over an hour long, but it is supposed to be very, very good at helping to strengthen this kind of think.

Any advise for dealing with this injury???
  #8   Add to b.spencer's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 1st, 2007, 11:09 AM

Relief . . . Sports Med and Ortho docs reviewed me. I have some diminished Achilles reflex, but that's all. They are confident that this will fully heal on its own. Both said I may even be able to add limited squats and/or deadlifts back in 6 mo - 1 year if I work hard on abs and lower back strengthening in the mean time.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options