You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 4th, 2007, 06:08 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Size versus body weight

Did you ever notice, despite the fascination some of (arepejay, moi, others) have with measurements (weight, height, circumferance, etc.) that a built guy can LOOK HUGE, without necessarily weighing that much?

I was reminded of this today when I went back to the gym after (too long of) a break. I ran into an old acquaintance who has been MUCH more consistent than I in coming and lifting, esp. over the last 3 years or so. He's about 5'8" or so -- about medium height. When I first saw him, he probably weighed b/t 170-180 pounds, and looked pretty, well, "average". Not skinny, not fat, just average.

Well, now he looks awesome! His consistency has resulted in some seriously impressive gains. His chest is beautiful --- big, high and full pecs sweeping down from the top of his collarbone, down to a hard, curving lower edge. He also has deep cleavage and more wide muscle fullness and development across the width of his chest. His shoulders ( he loves seated behind the neck presses and side db laterals) are wide and full to balance and frame his chest, and his arms are amazing -- big, full, rounded swelling biceps and triceps and thick, vascular forearms. Best of all, he's no longer as shy as he used to be, since he now wears sleeveless tank tops, instead of the long sleeved underarmour he used to favor year round. His legs and ass are big, firm and solid also, but I confess I didn't really notice them this morning (perhaps next time! )

Anyway, we were talking for a bit, and I mentioned, "You're looking good. What are you weighing these days?"

He replied, "Well, the last time you saw me (probably 6 months ago) I was around 180, but I'm around 170 now."

Me, "Wow! You look great!"

Who knew "170" could look so good??!!!

Like they used to say about "Flea" Labrada (Mr. O #2 for something like 3 years in a row) "Mass with Class!"

Mdlftr
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 4th, 2007, 06:15 AM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
Back in my undergraduate days there was a guy who worked at the college gym who had one of the most impressive physiques I've ever seen, then or now. Arthur was about an inch taller than I am, so just a shade under 6 ft., and no more than 190 lbs., but DAMN. His waist was no more than 28 inches, his arms were easily 18 inches, his chest was phenomenal (full, thick, deep cleft, rounded.) Plus back and traps and lats, all there.

So, yes, built doesn't necessarily mean HEAVY (and stats are still stats!) :-)

xoxo

Richard
  #3   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 4th, 2007, 06:19 AM
Muscle Czar

Corwin has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to Corwin Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin
170 is hot!

I've been upping the cardio recently to loose some winter/stress related fat, and it's fun to see how quickly it can melt off...

I've finally gotten up the courage to bike in NYC, which is itself stressful. The roads are worse than Pittsburgh, the cars have the same problem of thinking they get a reward for being first to get to (and stop at) a red light, and the trails are crowded and breaking the law on them is the rule rather than the exception. Still, it is an easy bike commute to work (ride wise), so I do it.

My employer offers both showers at work and a towel service. Normally, I arrive and have the locker room to myself. Today, however, I got there and there was a total stud standing at the sink in nothing but a towel. He had to be 170ish, but was totally ripped and had a nice swimmers build. I swooned.

Don't knock 170. It may not be 215 or 275, but a nice, hard 170 is fun to look at.

"Stand firm for what you believe in until or unless logic or experience prove you wrong. Remember, when the emperor looks naked the emperor is naked. The truth and a lie are not sort of the same thing. And there's no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza." Daria
  #4   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 4th, 2007, 09:42 AM

Speaking of which:

Isn't it about time we saw YOUR nice, hard 170 lbs. (or thereabouts?) to look at, Scott? :-)

xoxo

Richard

who is still about 200 lbs. but getting noticeably (to myself, at any rate) harder thanks to the tutelage of Bally Boy Josh
  #5   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 4th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Muscle Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpeejay
Speaking of which:

Isn't it about time we saw YOUR nice, hard 170 lbs. (or thereabouts?) to look at, Scott? :-)

xoxo

Richard

who is still about 200 lbs. but getting noticeably (to myself, at any rate) harder thanks to the tutelage of Bally Boy Josh
A certain visitor to NYC is threatening to take pictures of me when he visits in 3 weeks. Luckily, I'm a vampire and neither photograph nor cast a reflection in mirrors.

"Stand firm for what you believe in until or unless logic or experience prove you wrong. Remember, when the emperor looks naked the emperor is naked. The truth and a lie are not sort of the same thing. And there's no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza." Daria
  #6   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 4th, 2007, 11:45 AM

I didn't say your head had to be included, of course! This is the Internet, after all. Mid-neck to mid-thigh will be more than enough. You can even wear a thong, if you like.

:-)

richard
  #7   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 4th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Muscle Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpeejay
I didn't say your head had to be included, of course! This is the Internet, after all. Mid-neck to mid-thigh will be more than enough. You can even wear a thong, if you like.

:-)

richard
like my head isn't swelled so large that it takes more than one picture to fit it all... yeesh...

#8   Add to TheMM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 4th, 2007, 03:26 PM
"This is no trick!"

TheMM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin
like my head isn't swelled so large that it takes more than one picture to fit it all... yeesh...
You already said you're a vampire, so your large bloated head won't be there anyways.

"Put your controller on the floor...Put it down as flat as you can...That's good. Now I will move your controller by the power of my will alone!"
  #9   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 4th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Muscle Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMM
You already said you're a vampire, so your large bloated head won't be there anyways.
http://www.bigmuscle.com/~CycleMuscle

nya :-p

#10   Add to TheMM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 4th, 2007, 04:23 PM
"This is no trick!"

TheMM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin
Must have been an anti bloated head/vampire filter on that camera. Nice package BTW.

"Put your controller on the floor...Put it down as flat as you can...That's good. Now I will move your controller by the power of my will alone!"
  #11   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:08 AM
DaBigGuy1

DaBigGuy1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to DaBigGuy1
I've found out that size and weight can be very subjective. I had met my share of guys bodybuilders and non bodybuilders alike that it is difficult to tell how much they weigh just by looking at them....

And once you throw in a chest-waist ratio that complicates things even more. I have known guys that have worked out and even though they have actually lost weight, they look bigger simply because their chest to waist ration has increased. Throw in some more-developed quads and, well, WOW!

Ron III---III
  #12   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 8th, 2007, 01:40 AM

CelticMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
This sounds like a job for Correlation Man!

In other words, having just discovered who Excel's correlation tool works, how about we put the following to the test:

Quote:
Did you ever notice, despite the fascination some of (arepejay, moi, others) have with measurements (weight, height, circumferance, etc.) that a built guy can LOOK HUGE, without necessarily weighing that much?
Therefore, could people please PM me with their following data:

Height:
Weight:
Chest:
Biceps:
Waist:
and a front double bicep pose picture

And I'll try my best to come up with some form of definitive answer.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options