General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 11th, 2007, 01:50 AM
DaBigGuy1

DaBigGuy1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to DaBigGuy1
"We don't want bodybuilders here....."

I know, a very blunt title, However, there are quite a few gyms out there that do not want to cater to bodybuilders or will refuse someone simply because they look like a bodybuilder. That is the topic and question that I pose here....

Why do you think it is that there are gyms out there that do not want bodybuidlers there? Are you a bodybuilder that has ever gone to a gym and felt out of place or got a vibe that you were not wanted there simply because of your size? Do you think your size intimidates other non-bodybuilders in the gym? Have you ever had any negative reaction to you and your size?

If you are not a bodybuilder or of bigger stature and reading this, do you feel intimidated by the bigger bodybuilders in your gym? Have you ever had a bad experience / negative reaction involving a big bodybuilder?

And mostly, do you HAVE any bodybuilders in your gym?

I have heard of a few instances which I will share, but I'd like to hear your input.....

Ron III---III
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 11th, 2007, 02:15 AM

CelticMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
That sounds just plain ridiculous, if you ask me

If I was running a gym, I'd want at least one bodybuilder in residence (if only to use for advertising) "Local Bodybuilder brings home trophy to local gym".

Because of the lack of gyms here in this part of Wales, I can state that I do not know any bodybuilders who attend gyms, but do know that several of my online contacts from around the world do have competition bodybuilders in their gyms.

I will post their details (if the contacts agree to that)
  #3   Add to Juggarnaut's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 11th, 2007, 06:28 AM

Juggarnaut is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Juggarnaut
Craziness I tell you

I have read in several magizes about gyms banning bigger guys for the muscle and for grunting when they lift .

I do not understand the whole thing really, I am by far not a huge man, but for 5'7 at 170 you can tell I have some bulk, I get all kinds of attitude from other guys in the gym I keep to myself and wear my ipod - lifting is not a social time for me - it is serious business, but when I an finished i can chit chat , I get the stare like "you think your really something coz you have muscle" most of that comes from out of shape guys - on occasion I see another muscle dude there who oly is concerned with working out the upper body and I get the attitude of its like a challenge or something... I personally love to meet and see other dudes in shape - Bigger or smaller - its all about inspiration and the comradery of the muscle ( sorry my spelling sucks-lol) ( even the out shape biginners who come in and i see them transforms fires up my work out ethic, Debig - I would love to have someone like you in my gym, you'd be sick as hell of me asking questions ( after the work out of course) , but it would be cool to talk about routies and what has worked for you to get some massive size on your frame.

I never feel intimidated by bigger guys when i see them, to me it is awsome to see the hard work that person has poured in to themselves to become so much more - and to be proud of what they have accomplished.

Just my 2 cents worth - sorry if I rambled

Thansk for listening

Jugg
  #4   Add to bulkinupbig's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 11th, 2007, 11:54 AM

bulkinupbig
Presence of muscle

Da Big Guy,
I have heard and seen guys from the gym thrown out or their membership revoked for abusing the equipment, being overly loud and for dealing drugs in the locker room.
I have not seen any evidence of a bodybuilder not being "wanted" in the gym.

I train with a professional trainer when I am competing for a show and his business goes up when we are training. So we both benefit.
In addition, when new prospects are doing their walk thru of the gym, many times the staff has had them stop and observe as I am training on a piece of equipment. So, my personal experience seems to be the contrary.
Bulkinupbig
  #5   Add to b.spencer's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 13th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Gaining Muscle Rep by Rep

b.spencer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to b.spencer
[COLOR=#000000]I?m a newbie at the gym (13 years out is a newbie in my book), but I have to say that from my limited experience, I've already seen some of what you're talking about.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000]I live in a town of about 25,000, and there are 4 public gyms. There is an almost self imposed segregation between them. Most of the people who are all cardio type people (runners. bikers, etc) go to the ?national fitness chain? place or the city wellness center, while most the powerlifters and bodybuilders to one of the two locally-owned gyms. There is some who crossover, but the groups stay to themselves. Maybe it's just that you're more comfortable with people like you.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000]When I first started, I went to the ?national fitness chain? place. I could occasionally get help with a spot or something, but everyone mostly ignored me and everyone else outside their chit-chat group. That was fine with me -- I'm not a talkative lifter. I'd much rather concentrate on a set and my body than a conversation. But, when I started to vaguely look like the few guys there with good muscle size, almost instantly, the others looked at me with virtual disdain ? as if I were conceited or something. When I made so much as an audible peep of effort, I got isome "just shut up stares." I noticed that they treated the few loner musclular guys exactly the same way. After a month or so, I got tired of it and asked talked to a friend at GNC about it. He immediately told me he knew exactly what I meant and told me to go to the locally-owned gym he attended.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000]The first day I walked the place, I was intimidated as hell. Mostly huge guys who?d been working out hard for decades putting up weights I couldn?t hope to match for years, if ever. They looked at me as if ?what the fuck are you doing here?? because it was obvious how out of shape I was compared to them. But, when I proved how serious I am, how much I?ll do, and how far I?ll go to get what they have and I want, most of them accepted me as if I?d been there for years. They are always willing to offer advice on form, new exercise variations, nutrition ? anything, even putting up with my novice questions. Don?t get me wrong, there are a few pricks (every gym has those), and I?m still learning a lot as I go along, but I?d never go back to the old place. I get almost as much pleasure and inspiration from seeing them make new gains, as I get from my own. I guess in the ?bodybuilder gym? I go to now, everybody wants everybody to get bigger and better, even if there are friendly or not-so-friendly rivalries, etc. between some of them. The ?fitness? place only seemed to want people who were like they are, and my gym seems more comfortable for people like me. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000]Thanks for putting up with my rambling too.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000]Brad [/COLOR]
  #6   Add to Minotaur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 13th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Muscled Chub Club

Minotaur is on a distinguished road
The first health club I joined was just that... a health club. There was limited freeweights, and was mostly machines. The owner's stated purpose was to discourage "muscleheads". It was a great facility for middle-aged or older people who just wanted fitness.

My current gym is owned and run by a former competitive bodybuilder. There are men and women of all shapes and sizes, and that's the way the owner wants it... bodybuilder or twink, you are welcome there.

Dorothy: You really haven't grasped the concept of this gay thing yet, have you?

Blanche: There must be homosexuals who date women.

Sophia: Yeah, they're called lesbians.
  #7   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 13th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Muscle Czar

Corwin has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to Corwin Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggarnaut
I have read in several magizes about gyms banning bigger guys for the muscle and for grunting when they lift .

I do not understand the whole thing really, I am by far not a huge man, but for 5'7 at 170 you can tell I have some bulk, I get all kinds of attitude from other guys in the gym I keep to myself and wear my ipod - lifting is not a social time for me - it is serious business, but when I an finished i can chit chat , I get the stare like "you think your really something coz you have muscle" most of that comes from out of shape guys - on occasion I see another muscle dude there who oly is concerned with working out the upper body and I get the attitude of its like a challenge or something... I personally love to meet and see other dudes in shape - Bigger or smaller - its all about inspiration and the comradery of the muscle ( sorry my spelling sucks-lol) ( even the out shape biginners who come in and i see them transforms fires up my work out ethic, Debig - I would love to have someone like you in my gym, you'd be sick as hell of me asking questions ( after the work out of course) , but it would be cool to talk about routies and what has worked for you to get some massive size on your frame.

I never feel intimidated by bigger guys when i see them, to me it is awsome to see the hard work that person has poured in to themselves to become so much more - and to be proud of what they have accomplished.

Just my 2 cents worth - sorry if I rambled

Thansk for listening

Jugg
I currently train in my building's gym. It has limited stuff, and I'm one of the bigger guys there (which says something). It's funny, because the guys that grunt the most are all really out of shape (by my standards) and lift less that I'm working out with.

Like Jugg, I tend to wear my ipod and my reason for being there is not to be social but to lift. I do watch the guys with really poor form and want to go over and say, "hey, you're doing it wrong..." but figure if they wanted advise, they'd ask (and I do see them checking me out while I'm working out, so...)

I'm about to look around for a real gym (keeping the building gym as a back up) and I want a bodybuilding gym. Maybe it's a contradiction, but I'm hoping to learn something from the bodybuilder's and take it up a level from where I am. And I don't think you can do that if you aren't a little fussy about where you train.

"Stand firm for what you believe in until or unless logic or experience prove you wrong. Remember, when the emperor looks naked the emperor is naked. The truth and a lie are not sort of the same thing. And there's no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza." Daria
  #8   Add to Bull's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 13th, 2007, 10:17 AM

Bull
Send a message via AIM to Bull Send a message via Yahoo to Bull
What has really started all the attention to this topic is the "Planet Fitness" chain. They have signs with a slash through a bodybuilder, and the motto: "No Intimidation Zone." They also sound an alarm if anyone gets too loud while training.

I suppose there is a segment of the public that still see bodybuilders as intimidating muscleheads, and use that as their excuse to avoid gyms altogether. Planet Fitness, and many other chains, are trying to tap into this source of increased revenue, but I think they are misguided. These people may sign-up once, but then they will come-up with some other excuse to not train. Maybe there are enough of them always coming along to sustain a chain forever, but I doubt it. There has to be some retention of membership.

Personally, I have never been intimidated by a bodybuilder. Even the scariest-looking guys can be disarmed with a joke and an expression of admiration. And once you have one for a friend, you tend to have them all.
  #9   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 13th, 2007, 02:41 PM

CelticMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull
What has really started all the attention to this topic is the "Planet Fitness" chain. They have signs with a slash through a bodybuilder, and the motto: "No Intimidation Zone." They also sound an alarm if anyone gets too loud while training.

I suppose there is a segment of the public that still see bodybuilders as intimidating muscleheads, and use that as their excuse to avoid gyms altogether. Planet Fitness, and many other chains, are trying to tap into this source of increased revenue, but I think they are misguided. These people may sign-up once, but then they will come-up with some other excuse to not train. Maybe there are enough of them always coming along to sustain a chain forever, but I doubt it. There has to be some retention of membership.

Personally, I have never been intimidated by a bodybuilder. Even the scariest-looking guys can be disarmed with a joke and an expression of admiration. And once you have one for a friend, you tend to have them all.
Absolutely, Paul. When I encounter a bodybuilder (which is not a not as often as I would like!) instead of saying the usual "WOAH! You are pumped!" I ask them "How are you?"
  #10   Add to RadRx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 13th, 2007, 04:15 PM

RadRx has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to RadRx
One of the first gyms I joined used a bodybuilder caricature in a string tank (Red Slashed) to demonstrate one of it's rules -- all shirts must cover the scapula areas of the back. I'm not sure if this was meant to infer that bodybuilders need not join or simply a means of avoiding bare, sweaty skin from making contact with the benches and pads. I don't care how big anyone is, hygiene matters -- learn to use a towel and a washing machine.

I've also heard a bodybuilder complaining that his gym recommended he seek another location to work out, but this was their response when he asked them to supply heavier dumbbells so that he could have something to work with.

I think the prevalent idea is that bodybuilders are rude, abusive, loud and generally more trouble than their worth in a gym. I've found that it's usually not the bodybuilders but rather the wannabe's that make the largest show of "chest pounding" in gyms.

I don't have a problem with a gym having rules to ensure a clean, productive exercise environment for its members, but they would probably be better off cancelling the contracts of offending members rather than discriminate based on someone's physique.
  #11   Add to UKBeefy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 14th, 2007, 02:19 PM

UKBeefy is on a distinguished road
well without wishing to come to sweeping generalisations there is a difference in how people workout and I think that is perhaps what some gyms are getting at with perhaps being less tolerant of big guys.

1) Us bodybuilders tend to train with a training buddy...not always but more than many.

plus

2) we tend to do a fair few sets including warm ups......

plus

3) we tend to stick to basic free weight exercises eg bench, squat, deadlift, T bar row etc...

So it can mean for others who want to say do a few light sets of bench that they can face a 15-20 min wait while two serious guys shift alot of weight doing bench and then 20 mins later find the same situation on the squat rack...Obviously it would be tiresome to unload alot of weight and have someone else work in....

So to others it can look as if serious guys "hog" the proper bits of kit in the gym eg a squat rack/ flat bench etc.

Also as we've all seen and sometimes done ourselves it is easy to project a zoned out "I am here to workout and not talk/make small talk" look which coupled with size/big weights being shifted can be intimidating. Also some can project a "keep 20 ft away and don't rerack weights around me" look when they are going for a max rep...
  #12   Add to UKBeefy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 14th, 2007, 02:27 PM

Further to the above post I was meaning to say that such preceived dominating the free weights does cause problems in a mixed gym where they maybe only have one of everything (as is very true here in Central London gyms where floor space is a premium) and if someone wants to get the 20, 25 and 30kg dumbells by their feet to do a superset routine then that is not fun for everyone else.

I went to a serious gym then a less seroious gym then my current mixed gym over the last 15 years and although the former was the best in terms of equipment and people i never felt I could workout comfortably. It was very very intimidating. I was shy at the time but also there was quite a cliquey feel - very blue collar guys who appeared to have all been to high school together....not easy to break into or at least that's how I perceived it.
With hindsight I should have tried to beak the ice but really did not know what to say (I was 50 lbs lighter and looked like a geek). I talked to a few (who to be honest I fancied massively - always was worried it would show).

Anyhow I can see the point as to why some more slick looking gyms don't want big guys. Intimidation, equipment hogging and instead wanting to appeal to the widest clientele.
  #13   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 14th, 2007, 04:51 PM
DaBigGuy1

All very good points.......!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKBeefy
"Also as we've all seen and sometimes done ourselves it is easy to project a zoned out "I am here to workout and not talk/make small talk" look which coupled with size/big weights being shifted can be intimidating. Also some can project a "keep 20 ft away and don't rerack weights around me" look when they are going for a max rep..."
Very good points throught on this entire thread! Among all the great points, this one point I did find REALLY intriguing as I did not dawn on me.

Intimidation...... I can also remember feeling VERY intimidated at first when I started at my first gym, which was a PowerHouse Gym .... the only real gym in my area that was close and easy to get to. I can remember my first day in the gym, after two weeks of procrastination and fear, going into the gym and making my way towards an isolated past of the gym with a 10 pound dumbbell and doing bicep curls and PRAYING that no one approached me. I can also remember seeing a couple of HUGE bodybuilders doing squats that were to me huge and intimidating as hell! Now in retrospect I probably paid them more attention than they paid to me! But I was still intimidated.

Fast forward to today, I can bet that I am about or probably even bigger than them now, but I know of where I come from so I never give anyone the "attitude" and am helpful whenever approached as long as others respect when I need to do my set and do not interrupt me when doing reps..period.

Maybe that "zoning" is the reason that I am rarely approached in the gym..... I probably give off that "I'm focusing and do not want to be disturbed" when I am preparing for my session. Not intentional, but necessary to "psyche up" for the heavy lifts and getting through some really grueling sessions. So, in reading UK's quote (How's it going, UK! ) I can see why a lot of people mistake our "focus" for being aloof, i.e. unapproachable which could be an intimidation for a lot of regular gym goer's.... (don't go near him as he's working out as he may EAT you!!)

I know my biggest help and motivation in the gym was a bodybuilder, a former Mr. Ney Jersey, to this day I owe him a debt of thanks. And proof that there are bodybuilders that are "really nice guys that just happen to live in big muscular bodies".

Ron IIII---IIII

P.S. here's a thought/question. Do you feel that in the serious bodybuilding gym that the members are more apt to follow gym etiquette, i.e. wiping down their equipment, re-racking their weights, etc etc, than in the family fitness oriented gyms?

I have noticed that in my newer more family oriented gym that the guys that work out there leave their weights on racks, bars, thrown on the floor, etc etc and I STILL have to tell them to re-rack if they are done as I would NOT know if they are still using the bench, etc etc. In the serious bodybuilding gym they are less apt to leave weights on the racks, benches, etc, will re-rack and will offer a spot if you need or ask for it and so-on.

So, any thoughts on this?

Ron IIII---IIII

Last edited by DaBigGuy1; May 14th, 2007 at 04:58 PM.
  #14   Add to Bull's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 14th, 2007, 05:16 PM

Bull
Absolutely, the more "serious" the gym, the better the etiquette. I once worked in a gym that was very much a yuppie club, and it was a rare thing for anyone to re-rack their weights. They seemed to think their dues paid for a platoon of "weight bitches" to follow them around and clean-up after them. I would be so exhausted after moving tons of plates that way, my own training went out the window.

I suppose the ideal situation is for there to be a "fitness" area and a "strength and bodybuilding" area in each club. The easily intimidated could ease into the lifestyle, and perhaps eventually cross-over into serious training. I do think that clubs lose a huge source of training knowledge and inspiration when they discourage bodybuilders from joining.
  #15   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 14th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Muscle Czar

Quote:
Absolutely, the more "serious" the gym, the better the etiquette. I once worked in a gym that was very much a yuppie club, and it was a rare thing for anyone to re-rack their weights. They seemed to think their dues paid for a platoon of "weight bitches" to follow them around and clean-up after them. I would be so exhausted after moving tons of plates that way, my own training went out the window.
Oh, this is so my pet peeve about my gym. There is one guy who will rack the weights, do one set, do 30 minutes of cardio, then want to return and do another two or three sets, leaving the weights racked the whole time. Mind you, it's only 1 plate (the guy is a wimp), but there are a number of pregnant women, other women and smaller men who would have problems using the machine in the state he left it.

When I train and he does this to me, I make a point of very LOUDLY changing the weights and then doing heavier lifts than he can. And I always unrack the weights. I've seen him return to the machine and be very unhappy about having to set it up again (and of course, he never unracks the weights he uses when he leaves).

"Stand firm for what you believe in until or unless logic or experience prove you wrong. Remember, when the emperor looks naked the emperor is naked. The truth and a lie are not sort of the same thing. And there's no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza." Daria
  #16   Add to BULKING_N's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:35 PM

BULKING_N is on a distinguished road
DA Big Guyt, Great topic you posted.. One gym comes to mind.. PLANET FITNESS!
They are so very anti bodybuuilding, I hope they get torched.
I know once they banned a guy for grunting in their gym in NYC.

I used to go to a really hardcore gym , a few World Strong Men went there to train too but there were men and women of all walks of life and every physique went there to train. That is how each gym should be.
I agree with one saying that the easily intimidated eventually realise that they gradually get into the waters and then its not as scarey as they thought it was!

When you're lifting intensely, there is a certain level of aggression that you need to have and mind frame, and whenever a newcomer sees that, it can really frighten some. lol But to all newcomers, we are usualy harmless giants.. Just dont take our protein shake away from us . I get cranky if I dont have my protein fix. lol

Bodybuilders are generally looked down upon in society and it's such a shame. You try to enhance yourself and be a better person and you get stoned for it. UGH!

I can relate to it where I was twice the size of my boss and 15 years younger. lol I get put down for just about everything.. And then I left. Im yet to find the insect out on in public and squish him.
  #17   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 14th, 2007, 09:24 PM
DaBigGuy1

Planet Fitness.....THUMBS DOWN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULKING_N
DA Big Guyt, Great topic you posted.. One gym comes to mind.. PLANET FITNESS!
"They are so very anti bodybuuilding, I hope they get torched.
I know once they banned a guy for grunting in their gym in NYC".

"we are usualy harmless giants.. Just dont take our protein shake away from us . I get cranky if I dont have my protein fix. lol"

"Bodybuilders are generally looked down upon in society and it's such a shame. You try to enhance yourself and be a better person and you get stoned for it. UGH!

I can relate to it where I was twice the size of my boss and 15 years younger. lol I get put down for just about everything.. And then I left. Im yet to find the insect out on in public and squish him."
Planet Fitness, especially the one in Wappinger Falls NY where that incident happened, UNLESS there is some underlying story or MORE to the story that I had not heard..shame on them! And whatever the story may be, I DID catch the clip with the manager telling her story, and she was acting like a Queen "B" all the while. And yet again, another instance where I say "vote with your feet and your wallet and do NOT patronize them....it IS a form of discrimination no matter how you see it! And no matter how you see it, it sets a bad precedent.

BULKING, you make a very good point with one "trying to enhance yourself" and be a better person, only to find yourself on some occasions being ostricized, ridiculed or "banned". It is ridiculous, and a lot of it is a fear, ignorance or just a feeling of inferiority of some that feel as if they do not measure up physically, and that is an illusion. I know when I first started I definitely did not measure up physically, but I also know that I wanted to be bigger, and I had to have the drive and determination to do it and look past the obstacles. And the big monster next to me at the time I knew was not the real "obstacle".... his occasional grunt was not the "obstacle". The obstacles was all in my MIND! So in the past when I was just beginning my training at my first gym, if that big "muscle monster" was to be "ejected" from the gym along with the other big guys, I KNOW I would have missed that extra motivation that comes from watching a serious bodybuilder giving it their all to move those great weights and watch them get that great "PUMP"!

So, I'll cast my vote for the muscle moose everytime!

Ron III---III

And YES, don't mess with my protein shakes! LOL!! Good one, BULKING_N!
  #18   Add to BULKING_N's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:37 AM

DabigGuy1,
I just had a protein shake. Care for one? lol

I agree when you said it's discrimination. A lot of it is fear and ignorance but why be ignorant when you have no clue as to how much work and dedication it took for me to get where I am today? I didint put on this size by just lazing around like you did .

I recall a few years back, there was a reasonably big guy squatting 6 plates a few years ahead, Im thhat very same guy squatting even more than that, just I dont make as much noise. LOL I dont tend to holler a lot.

Have a good day.
  #19   Add to UKBeefy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 15th, 2007, 03:54 PM

Going well "Dabigguy" - would be cool to chat sometime! Let me know what suits u...

Right back to the topic. I think really what is needed often is some kind of icebreaker that means there is some interaction between big guys and others in the gym. For those who are not yet big it can seem incredibly hard to come up with something sensible to ask as a door opener. In non-gay gyms it can be very hard to to "compliment" someone without it appearing too flirty. Somehow it's got to sound like its just a manly comment saying "hey you're in great shape" without making it the sort of thing you say too obviously when said big guy is butt naked in the gym locker room.

Remembering back to when I went to the serious gym 15 yrs ago I did actually used to get into a bit of chat with a guy I'd have married in 5 minutes.....Think Carl Hardwick esque ie big bodybuilder shape and dark fur everywhere...and shaved head...He also once told me how his wife and friends think he was too big/getting carried away with it...I never knew if it was a come on...I was much slower off the mark then. Anyhow we would chat in the changing room and showers a bit...me a 170lb geek next to a 240lb bodybuilder butt naked....

I think in some ways it's just good to go around if possible and introduce yourself especially if you are new. Never better time to do the "I'm new here" routine. Also I think asking a few tips (not every time you go) can be a door opener...What is better still if there is an owner or trainer who can do the introductions or cajole people into being polite. I remember once going to a gym twice that was outside London near Birmingham (near the Range Rover assemply plant in Solihull, near Birmingham) and was really surprised that on my second visit the guy behind the counter had remembered me and introduced me to a couple of people (who were massive and benching a ton of weight)....made me feel either a) I look a bit bigger now so he treated me seriously or b) people outside London are just friendlier.
  #20   Add to fillups44's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:17 PM

fillups44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to fillups44 Send a message via Yahoo to fillups44
My experience has also been that people in some of the less serious gyms seem not to be interested in putting the weights away. I was lucky enough to see a former Collegiate Nationals and Military Nationals winner doing heavy deadlifts in my more casual gym one early morning. He did his serious sets with perfect form and then after an exhausting last set neatly re racked his weights.
I had spent the first 5 minutes or so of my workout re racking dumbbells that had been left by a couple of guys in so-so shape.
I walked up to the guy and thanked him for re racking his weights and complimenting him on his deadlift form. Even though he was much more advanced than me, he responded with real warmth and it became the beginning of a serious workout partnership that persists today (because he travels a lot we can't workout that much together but we still communicate and work on pushing each other).
To anyone who might not think about it (probably not many people in this group) remember to RERACK your weights. It is important and no one is too good or too exhausted to have an excuse not to.
  #21   Add to fillups44's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:17 PM

fillups44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to fillups44 Send a message via Yahoo to fillups44
Sorry, one last thought on this subject.
I have seen some prejudice against serious bodybuilders. Some of it might be the fact that they intimidate the clientele but there is also a concern about drug use and selling especially with guys who are really big and really ripped. Gyms don't want to take the chance of illegal stuff happening onsite. Now obviously the evidence is circumstantial at this point and one should not be treated like a potential drug dealer simply because one looks like a steroid user but people do jump to those conclusions.

Heck, even I jumped to the steroid conclusion about Mcgwire, Sosa, Canseco, Bonds and Giambi long before there was any investigation on any of them!!

Last edited by fillups44; May 15th, 2007 at 04:25 PM.
  #22   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:48 PM
DaBigGuy1

RETHINK..... Saturn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fillups44
Sorry, one last thought on this subject.
I have seen some prejudice against serious bodybuilders. Some of it might be the fact that they intimidate the clientele but there is also a concern about drug use and selling especially with guys who are really big and really ripped. Gyms don't want to take the chance of illegal stuff happening onsite. Now obviously the evidence is circumstantial at this point and one should not be treated like a potential drug dealer simply because one looks like a steroid user but people do jump to those conclusions.

Heck, even I jumped to the steroid conclusion about Mcgwire, Sosa, Canseco, Bonds and Giambi long before there was any investigation on any of them!!
Very good points......discrimination and stereotyping! You know, there are those rare times that I wonder what goes through people's minds when I workout. Mind you, when I workout I am usualy covered from head to toe in sweatpants and a sweatshirt/tshirt and cap, mostly to keep from sweating all over the place (and YES, I do wipe down my equipment with a towel), and also as a little extra protection to keep from catching who-knows-what from others. I had a remark the other day from a guy that said "you can't hide it, man, you got muscles under there!". Of course I smiled and thanked him.

Back to the topic of "We don't want.......", this may not be exactly on topic, but it does touch on the sentiment. Has anyone seen the new Saturn commercials titled "RETHINK"? In the commercial they are showing images of past cultural icons, and then introducing new concepts and the title "RETHINK".

In one part of the commercial they are showing good ol'e massive Gunther Schlierkamp doing a double biceps-shot (great looking too!), and then they cut to a shot of Lance Armstrong holding up his, muscular, sinewy, stringy and VERY thin arms, with the caption "RETHINK STRENGTH", of course they are asking you to rethink your perceptions of what you think strength is. Of course they are both strong in their respective sports, but something tells me if it came down to me having to choose which one I'd have beside me in a duel of strength, I'd tell lance to hop on his bike and pedal down to Gunther's house and send Gunther back!

Ron III----III
  #23   Add to Buffling's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 15th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Evolving Jock

Buffling is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Buffling
Quote:
Originally Posted by fillups44
My experience has also been that people in some of the less serious gyms seem not to be interested in putting the weights away.
Man oh MAN you just hit on my biggest pet peeve... but I point it out here as relevant because I think the perception is that this is a "big guy" problem, when it's really not. As you said, it's the really fit, built, and dedicated guys who seem to have the best overall etiquette; but those guys tend to get lumped in with the lazy folks (of all stripes) who don't re-rack weights or wipe equipment down, and a few bad apples...

The challenge with "corporate" gyms is that they need to cater to as wide a client base as possible. The appeal of them is that they're often open late, or provide a chain of gyms that lets you work out at any location in the country. You can't have it both ways: no "powerlifter-only" gym is going to be profitable if it's open 24/7 or if it has six locations when it only has enough members to support one. Serious gymrats need to accept this (or start building that home gym).

The fad in my neck of the woods is "women's-only" clubs (a concept that drives me nuts because it simply means there are fewer locations for me to go to when I'm on the road): clubs that appeal to large groups of people are more likely to be profitable. While I'm not a big fan of capitalism that exists for the sake of pure profit, I do think there is a noble core to these companies' desire to Get People Exercising. I recognize, too, that many people who are starting out feel uncomfortable about being around "serious lifters" (whatever their perceptions of those people are). Corporate gyms are often very sensitive to that, and so am I. I'm not bothered by the gym newbie, but the gym newbies are sometimes intimidated by me just because I've been around for a while. You may know from your own experience that all it takes is one uncomfortable day at the new gym, when you're first starting out, to turn you off of the whole idea for a while.

As a formerly quite-obese person I admit that I sometimes look at people who are where I was several years ago, and my gut reaction is negative bordering on bigoted. I'm man enough to admit that, and I know where the disgust is sourced. I have to catch myself, correct my thinking to reflect the fact that I was there once and recognize the fact that the overweight fella and I are both at the gym for the same reason. Then I need to go out of my way to try to make those people feel more at home: all it takes is a nod, a smile, and the chance to model good gym behaviour as I put my weights back where I got them.

I'm NOT in the same category as some of the world-class lifters who work out at my gym, but I feel strongly that it behooves the more fit people to create a welcoming environment for the less fit people. "With great power," says my favorite spandex-clad webhead, "comes great responsibility."
  #24   Add to suma's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:57 AM

suma is on a distinguished road
my experiences have been all positive.
I'm a very big guy who lifts big, i.e. squats and deadlifts, overhead press, c&j , I enjoy strenght in general and it shows. I got lots of people commenting and asking questions about the size of my arms, my back, stuff like that.

I think some smaller guys and older folks at the gym are a bit intimidated, but not in the sense that they don't want me around or they are scared. just that they know I lift way more than they do. I couldn't imagine being asked to unjoin a gym just because I use lots of weights and get real BIG.
  #25   Add to BULKING_N's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 16th, 2007, 11:23 AM

DabigGuy,
I cant beleive they did an ad and compared Gunther to pencil neck razor thin Lance Armstrong. That pisses me off because both are accomplished athlehtres in their own rights and Lance is just not in that category of 'strength' by no means.
I will go for Gunther's built any time! Hes my fav bodybuilder by the way. I met him in person, really down to earth guy.

As for wiping down equipment, it doesnt take more than 5 seconds to do if your gym has a bottle of santizing liquid and tissue rolls about.

As for gym dismissing a member for requesting heavier dumbells, that is ludacris. I know some pro bodybuilders who ask for 180 lb dumbells at their gym and they get it!

My former gym had dumbells up to 150 lbs. Thats awesome! If a gym told me to go else where because they found I shouldnt be asking, I will tear them to pieces!

Last edited by BULKING_N; May 16th, 2007 at 11:34 AM.
  #26   Add to Lifter73's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:44 PM

Lifter73 is on a distinguished road
I saw that Saturn "RETHINK" commercial.....sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULKING_N
DabigGuy,
I cant beleive they did an ad and compared Gunther to pencil neck razor thin Lance Armstrong. That pisses me off because both are accomplished athlehtres in their own rights and Lance is just not in that category of 'strength' by no means.
I will go for Gunther's built any time! Hes my fav bodybuilder by the way. I met him in person, really down to earth guy.

As for wiping down equipment, it doesnt take more than 5 seconds to do if your gym has a bottle of santizing liquid and tissue rolls about.

As for gym dismissing a member for requesting heavier dumbells, that is ludacris. I know some pro bodybuilders who ask for 180 lb dumbells at their gym and they get it!

My former gym had dumbells up to 150 lbs. Thats awesome! If a gym told me to go else where because they found I shouldnt be asking, I will tear them to pieces!
As far as STRENGTH, there is nothing to RETHINK...Gunther could snap Lance clean in half!

Yet another move to isolate big bodybuilders out of the mainstream.... sucks!
  #27   Add to BULKING_N's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 17th, 2007, 07:17 AM

Like I said, Lance looks like a two dimensional paper cut out from the side yet he's the more accepted figure of main stream society. It sure is sad..

Gunther is the man, in 2005, he came so high at the Mr O , he really had it going for him but in 2006, things didint go so well. I really hope he can get his waist line down for he has been the only bodybuilder besides Jay Cutler, to be an actual threat to Ronnie. But like Gunther said, he can easily maintain 275 lbs as compared to 295 and getting in the acting career eventually might be his move . I hope he doesnt retire just yet even though he has been around a long time.
  #28   Add to bigbearny's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 17th, 2007, 02:44 PM

bigbearny
Send a message via Yahoo to bigbearny
As far as the rethink strength line i beleive they are referring to Mental strength or willpower versus Physical strength.. Both Gunther and Lance are strong in their own ways.. I don't believe that little commercial will change most people's negative image of bodybuilding any more than whatever makes them hate it already. But that's just my opinion.

On the topic of the thread... i'm glad i'm working out at NYSC. They seem to cater to all gym going types.. i didn't even have the typical "do cardio and loose weight before seriously lifting" argument from the trainer i spoke with. He complimented the workout i was planning and suggested some adjustments. He understood my problem with my ankles and 99% of the cardio machines and casually showed me one that uses the upper body instead of the lower. I've yet to talk to many of the people that work out there (i'm too damed shy) but none seem to be of the dumb vain stupid jock types.
  #29   Add to Lifter73's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:27 PM

Lifter73 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbearny
As far as the rethink strength line i beleive they are referring to Mental strength or willpower versus Physical strength.. Both Gunther and Lance are strong in their own ways.. I don't believe that little commercial will change most people's negative image of bodybuilding any more than whatever makes them hate it already. But that's just my opinion.

On the topic of the thread... i'm glad i'm working out at NYSC. They seem to cater to all gym going types.. i didn't even have the typical "do cardio and loose weight before seriously lifting" argument from the trainer i spoke with. He complimented the workout i was planning and suggested some adjustments. He understood my problem with my ankles and 99% of the cardio machines and casually showed me one that uses the upper body instead of the lower. I've yet to talk to many of the people that work out there (i'm too damed shy) but none seem to be of the dumb vain stupid jock types.
I agree, they are both strong in their own ways...so why stress to others to "rethink" strength as illustrated by Gunther, to "strength" as illustrated by skinny-boy Lance?

And lets face it, in a population where shows like "So, you think that you are smarter than a 5th grader?" and "Danicng with the Stars" are hits, people in general are not the deep thinkers we like to think they are . They think in absolutes, not abstractions..they will see the ad and think "big muscles=out!" "stringy muscle=in!"

Still a dumb and negative ad for the sport that I love, IMHO....

Just my brash two-cents....
  #30   Add to iluvmassivemusl's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 17th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Big C

iluvmassivemusl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to iluvmassivemusl
Talking Well

Anyone that has ever seen the commercial can coincide with me, did anyone else get like the erection of a lifetime, i mean u almost came in your pants and worshipped your tv screen, i mean, gunter has that effect on people. Then when lance flashed onto the screen, you dick did a 180 and reversed direction? i mean i know lance did survive cancer on multiple occasions, but strength is strength. if it was a commercial about emmotional wellbeing, then yes, lance would be perfect. but the commercial was made to make people rethink the definition of power, meaning, and strength just to name a few. If gunter isnt strong, then where do we stand, the worshippers, we mean nothing. i would rather marry, and service gunter to the best of my ability than ever, EVER see lance naked.(oops, there went my dick)
  #31   Add to BULKING_N's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 17th, 2007, 09:02 PM

The guy who came up with this ad must be some real sorry as* sob who's jealous as hell that he doesnt have muscle or must have got bashed in some comp and just wanna get back revenge to the crowd who has dedicated their lives to bodybuilding and growing muscle.

If i was Gunther, I put a law suit for the negative publicity. Pro Bodybuilders dont ever get any air time and of all times, is when its time to show them as a big NO NO to soceity.

Main stream television is such a crap o rama that it stinks in all genres. Even kids programming is total nonsense and they wonder why they are turning out the way they are. UGH
  #32   Add to Bull's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 18th, 2007, 02:42 PM

Bull
I agree that the ad is another gratuitous attack on bodybuilders. But remember, they couldn't use Gunter's image without his permission, and no doubt he is being paid nicely. Bodybuilders have no right to complain about their negative image when they contribute to those stereotypical portrayals. I know it is tough for a bodybuilder to make a living, but if they aren't willing to draw the line at degrading themselves for money, do they really deserve to be portrayed with respect?
  #33   Add to iluvmassivemusl's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Big C

iluvmassivemusl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to iluvmassivemusl
I agree

its sort of a whole muscled bodybuilder prostitution thing lol
  #34   Add to BULKING_N's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:00 PM

Another way to make money is to give bodybuilders movie star roles that make them seem like real dumbass*s who got no mental capacity.

I think Gunter is really keen on getting into the main stream acting for he told me , if Mr O dont pay him his dues owned, its time to get into the acting and he has the showmanship and the looks and body to go. I will hate to see him leave competitive bodybuilding on a low note. I am curious to see what he does for this year Mr O.
I just hope he never gets like Levrone.
  #35   Add to dallasmsl's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:49 AM

dallasmsl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dallasmsl
Saturn Commercial and Non-Bodybuilding Gyms.

I saw the Saturn commercial. Not really impressed.
I just came back from England on a business trip and, because of recommendations, trained at two gyms where I felt completely out of place - as if I were the man from Mars or something. The dumbbells only went up to approximately 60 pounds, if that. I honestly thought the people at the gyms were going to throw me out for being too intimidating but I was wrong; they actually liked having somone "out of the ordinary" training there.

Then, I found nirvana -- Elite Fitness; a small warehouse-type gym in a warehouse district in Yeovil. Reminded me of "Balloon's Gym" in SW Fort Worth (named after the owner who always "Ballooned"up when on a cycle. For a bodybuilder, I felt at home at Elite Fitness. I also found out there is a chain of gyms with the same name in the UK but not affiliated with the small warehouse gym that I trained at - weird.
  #36   Add to Bull's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:06 AM

Bull
When I first got seriously involved in the gym scene in the late 80s/early 90s, things were so different. Serious bodybuilders were usually given free memberships, just to lure them into training at a club. Part of what drew people to a particular gym was the presence of bodybuilders. The whole gym benefited from their presence. People of all types and builds went to the contests to support the bodybuilders they knew from their club. Trophies were proudly displayed at the front desk, and pictures of the competing bodybuilders were on the walls.

No one felt intimidated. No one put bodybuilders down. They took pride in them, and looked to them for inspiration. And certainly, most people knew the role of steroids in the sport, but they also knew the self-discipline and hard work involved.

It is a sad thing to see that this industry, which rode to success on the backs of bodybuilders, has now turned on them. It is a result of the business being taken over by corporate types who have no understanding of bodybuilding, no love for it, and no history in the fitness industry. They are only motivated by profit, and are too ignorant to see that they are undercutting the very ideals that led to those profits in the first place.

The other main culprits are the opportunistic politicians who have leapt on every opportunity to demonize steroid use and portray themselves as "protecting the children," when all they are really interested in is protecting their contributions from the pharmaceutical industry. The mainstream media have also played a role, refusing to do their job and actually investigate and report facts, instead becoming a propaganda machine.

I'm afraid that real bodybuilding is now back to being a small cult activity, and will remain so for the foreseeable future.
  #37   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 03:42 PM
DaBigGuy1

Quote:
When I first got seriously involved in the gym scene in the late 80s/early 90s, things were so different. Serious bodybuilders were usually given free memberships, just to lure them into training at a club. Part of what drew people to a particular gym was the presence of bodybuilders. The whole gym benefited from their presence. People of all types and builds went to the contests to support the bodybuilders they knew from their club. Trophies were proudly displayed at the front desk, and pictures of the competing bodybuilders were on the walls.

No one felt intimidated. No one put bodybuilders down. They took pride in them, and looked to them for inspiration. And certainly, most people knew the role of steroids in the sport, but they also knew the self-discipline and hard work involved.

It is a sad thing to see that this industry, which rode to success on the backs of bodybuilders, has now turned on them. It is a result of the business being taken over by corporate types who have no understanding of bodybuilding, no love for it, and no history in the fitness industry. They are only motivated by profit, and are too ignorant to see that they are undercutting the very ideals that led to those profits in the first place.

The other main culprits are the opportunistic politicians who have leapt on every opportunity to demonize steroid use and portray themselves as "protecting the children," when all they are really interested in is protecting their contributions from the pharmaceutical industry. The mainstream media have also played a role, refusing to do their job and actually investigate and report facts, instead becoming a propaganda machine.

I'm afraid that real bodybuilding is now back to being a small cult activity, and will remain so for the foreseeable future.
Bull, very well put! I could not have expressed that thought better............and yes, like it or not, bodybuilding is truly back to being a cult activity for exactly the reasons that you have outlined......

As for me, I will always love bodybuilding and damn their torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Ron IIII----IIII
  #38   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:17 PM

optimusx is on a distinguished road
Ah the joys of a modern day gym. I need to take a photo, but my gym just put up "Weight Room Rules" on about every surface imaginable. I'll try to quote these from memory. I'll leave out the grammatical errors

1. Do not leave plates on bars or plate loaded machines
2. Do not drop dumbbells
3. Do not add additional weight to weight stacks
4. No chalk allowed in gym
5. No loud grunting or swearing allowed
6. Do not use strong smelling heat rubs
7. Please show respect for the gym.

There is one more, but I can't think of it at the moment.

Granted, I don't leave plates on the equipment when I'm done (though some people will delightfully remove my weight between my sets when I'm still on a machine - oy), and I don't use chalk, nor do I use heat rubs like Icy Hot or grunt/swear. Heck, I don't even drop dumbbells... I'm probably one of the few guys that will make the effort to control the weight and then re-rack it. But not adding additoinal weight to weight stacks? That just sucks.

I probably do less damage to the equipment, even with my stacked on weights, than some crazyed HS guy coming in and swinging pulleys and machines like a whip. Alas, trying to explain such simple principles of physics to the gym is like trying to teach a wall to speak. So I'll try to follow the "rules", but man is this gym doing it's best to run off lifters. haha (Did I mention they're nixxing the free child day care for everyone and charging $10 / month / child? - me thinks they are trying to run off everyone but the single doctors...haha)

OptimusX
  #39   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:05 AM
Muscle Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusx
6. Do not use strong smelling heat rubs
What about people who bathe themselves with cologne or perfume before coming to the gym? Are they allowed?

(talk about making me want to gag...)

#40   Add to BULKING_N's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:08 AM

Bull made some very good points there about bodybuilding being an ostericized group. Pro bodybuilding is also in one of its all time low, just look at where the Mr O has been held and continues to be held.
Countless sportsmen will be totally useless had they not stepped in the gym, so why demonise the sportsmen who are the epitome of the hard work a gym can reap?
The IFBB is a sad bunch and yet countless pros risk all to be where they are and never get their dues paid to them!!!!!!!! Hopefully Jay Cutler has a good head on his shoulder and promises to do alot for the sport but time will tell for its been only a few months that he has been Mr. O.

As for the pet peeve problems like cologne etc, those things are so friavalous! Everyone in the gym should be respectable of each other, the big guy must respect the little guy and vice versa, men respect women, whatever nationality, creed, race,colour. The gym should be a place of 'peace and sanctity' away from the world that has gone mad. Just my opinions.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options