The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences Got a friend who went from geek to stud? (Or was that YOU who got huge?) Share your real-life muscle growth experiences.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to schwermarko's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 29th, 2013, 12:25 AM

schwermarko is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to schwermarko
Exclamation The Serious Problems of Being Big

I see a lot of posts in here about people having difficulties buying clothes or the chafing when their legs begin to rub together, and I thought it might be important to address some of the serious and/or frightening changes that happen, and a ballpark of when (weight wise) and what to do about them.

1) Sleep Apnea- as the body grows so does the tissue lining the mouth, nose and throat, when we big boys sleep that tissue relaxes and collapses the airway. This produces snoring, and once it reaches a certain point it begins to interfere with breathing. The person is perpetually awakened enough not to actually choke, and never reaches REM sleep. This has been an issue for me for a long time, but the last time I got over 300lbs it reached a point where I was nodding off while driving to work. Most people who have another person who sleeps in the bed catch this sooner than us lonely types, it is very unnerving to listen to, the person who loves you sits up all night wondering if the next time it happens you won't wake up. The treatment for this is CPAP, a mask or nose piece is connected to an air supply that puts enough pressure on the airway to keep it open. If you need one, when you get one you will feel like king kong on cocaine after a few days. If you need one and you don't get it, it can kill you. Check up on this regularly once your neck gets over 18".

2) Acid Reflux-- This is common enough, but gets to be a much bigger problem during bulking, the added weight seems to have a tipping point at about 230-250 lbs. If you find yourself siting bolt upright in bed gagging with a funny taste in your mouth, it's acid reflux. Sleeping on an incline is a huge help, even just blocks under the head of the bed, and of course- Omeprasole (prilosec)

I may post more of these as I think of them. Sorry to post the bummer post, but it may make a whole lot of difference to the person who needs to hear it.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to schwermarko For This Useful Post:
audobahn (January 3rd, 2014), bdub (December 29th, 2013), GTlifter (December 29th, 2013), mecmec (December 29th, 2013), theunknown (December 29th, 2013), toby182 (December 29th, 2013)
  #2   Add to LeatherGryphon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 29th, 2013, 06:58 AM

LeatherGryphon is on a distinguished road
Feet problems. A friend of mine was great shape about 240# at 5'9'. Looked great and he loved being huge. I didn't see him for about a year then saw him back to about 180-190, good looking but not a competitor anymore. I asked why he quit and he said "my feet just couldn't take it anymore". I know what he means. I have long narrow feet and when I'm over 220 my feet and ankles really feel the stress. Feels like knives in my foot joints.
The Following User Says Thank You to LeatherGryphon For This Useful Post:
theunknown (December 29th, 2013)
  #3   Add to theunknown's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 29th, 2013, 07:01 AM

theunknown is an unknown quantity at this point
Can't strengthening the muscles around the ankle help with that?
  #4   Add to schwermarko's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 29th, 2013, 07:32 AM

schwermarko is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to schwermarko
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunknown View Post
Can't strengthening the muscles around the ankle help with that?
A little, and it depends on how the person is built, but you also have to have a rather "atypical" relationship with pain if you want to have a body large enough to attract attention.
The Following User Says Thank You to schwermarko For This Useful Post:
theunknown (December 29th, 2013)
  #5   Add to BIGJOEY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 29th, 2013, 02:09 PM

BIGJOEY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BIGJOEY
when it comes to feet you have to realize they change as well when you add weight to them. the problem is we keep using the same training shoes without taking into account that our feet may have gotten wider. training shoes should be changed every few months because of the weight we put on them due to leg press squats deads etc. also cardio machines also stress the feet. as for the rest if you pack on the weight over a long period of time you will decrease the chances of those issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to BIGJOEY For This Useful Post:
schwermarko (December 29th, 2013)
  #6   Add to brutus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 2nd, 2014, 09:56 AM

brutus is on a distinguished road
Acid reflux:
try drinking 1 tablespoon of Bragg's raw apple cider vinegar in about 6 oz of filtered water twice a day. That fixed mine.

Feet:
Your feet are your foundation. I am very active, and nearly 300 lbs. I agree with with changing shoes regularly. Also, I use the cycle for cardio instead of a treadmill (gives the feets a break.) Stretch your IT Band & the lateral fascia of your calves, as well as your plantar fascia. Be sure your massage therapist knows what stress your feet are under, and that you need extra work on the smaller muscles of the calve (like Tibialis Anterior) and lots of lower body stretching. Take care of your feet, and they will be your friends. Also: take car of your knees!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brutus For This Useful Post:
SWMassMan (February 24th, 2014), The Magus (January 2nd, 2014)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options