The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences Got a friend who went from geek to stud? (Or was that YOU who got huge?) Share your real-life muscle growth experiences.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to Joeyboi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 21st, 2007, 06:06 PM

Joeyboi is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Different self-conciousness

ok, so I was always a very small guy... High metabolism kept me from gaining any weight, fat or muscle for a long time. Apparently it's slowed down enough to let me put on some muscle finally, but at the same time since I'm in a "bulking" phase I've put on a little fat as well. Nothing major, but I'm so used to not having any it's kind of different.... Not to mention that a few close friends have noticed and commented that I've gained a "mini-belly" Now, I plan on leaning down as soon as this phase is over, but in the meantime I feel self-concious about the little fat I have acquired... anybody been in the same boat? How do you get over these feelings and know that it'll be gone?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Juggarnaut's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:48 AM

Juggarnaut is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Juggarnaut
I know

Joey

I can relate BIG time - adding mass will add some fat---- no way around it , do not worry so much about the lil belly you have - keep that good though it will be gone when you lean out . Your friend are probably noticing the muscle too and maybey a bit jealous.

I am my own worst critic when it comes to looking too fat or too skinny ( usually too skinny) Keep at it man and grow huge

I think you be a great one to join the Challege

take care

Jugg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyboi
ok, so I was always a very small guy... High metabolism kept me from gaining any weight, fat or muscle for a long time. Apparently it's slowed down enough to let me put on some muscle finally, but at the same time since I'm in a "bulking" phase I've put on a little fat as well. Nothing major, but I'm so used to not having any it's kind of different.... Not to mention that a few close friends have noticed and commented that I've gained a "mini-belly" Now, I plan on leaning down as soon as this phase is over, but in the meantime I feel self-concious about the little fat I have acquired... anybody been in the same boat? How do you get over these feelings and know that it'll be gone?
  #3   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:15 AM

optimusx is on a distinguished road
Also remember that everyone carrys fat differently. Some carry it above the muscle and others underneath. Your growing muscles may actually create an illusion of greater fat content than there really is. The only real way to know for sure is to get a BF measurement done.

But as far as being self-conscious, we've all been there. I remember way back when I was 8-12 yrs old, every Sunday when I'd go into Sunday School at church I'd put my bible in my lap and held close to my chest so as to "hide" the normal stomach pudge that occurs when you sit down. I mean, I was bony, yet I thought that not even noticable amount of fat was undesirable. Obviously I grew out of that and you will too. You'll have to if you intend to really add mass. Look at Lee Priest in the off season if you need proof

I'd guess your friends are a little envious that you're growing some decent muscle!

OptimusX
  #4   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 25th, 2007, 10:32 PM
DaBigGuy1

DaBigGuy1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to DaBigGuy1
Good post.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyboi
I have gotten use to having a slight belly when bulking up....it is natural that it will happen if you plan on putting on a lot of size.

How do I get over the feeling of carrying a little extra weight around the middle? Simple...... I look at one of my old skinny pics when I was 30 years old, 6' 1" and weighed a whopping 125-130 pounds, and I think to myself how I felt then.....back then I would have KILLED for any weight gain at all! That puts it into perspective....especially since I know my weight gain now is a by-product to muscle mass gains..

Good luck!!

Ron IIII----IIII
  #5   Add to Joeyboi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 26th, 2007, 05:23 PM

Joeyboi is on a distinguished road
Hey, thanks for the input guys. I guess it was just the change that bothered me the most, but now i'm getting used to the idea since I'm getting bigger. Looking forward to the results when I trim down.
  #6   Add to ChunkJGZX's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 31st, 2007, 03:19 PM

ChunkJGZX is on a distinguished road
It's funny, because I was always extremely heavy (from age 9 to 22) until I went on a pretty strict diet for about 15 months, which dropped me from about 280 to 180. The only thing was, since it was lost through diet and without exercise, I didn't get "skinny," I just got smaller (I still looked horrible without a shirt on). Fully clothed I looked fairly normal, but I still had flabby man-boobs and a big gut underneath that seemed almost "pasted on" to my new lighter body. It was frustrating, because everyone would tell me how skinny I was, but deep down I knew that I really wasn't--just lighter, still gooey.

In the past two years, I've been hitting the weights pretty hard, and in the past six months have become very serious about bodybuilding, and while I can see my muscles swelling up, the "man-boobs" and gut haven't gone anywhere. It's a shame, because I can see what looks like a really great body, just with these two flabby pockets hanging off my pecs and the soft flabby belly hanging below. I think it's actually reducing gradually, but not as fast as the rest of my body grows!

Since my goal is to get bigger (and bigger and bigger) I'm not really worried about the flabbiness, but it's frustrating because as I add bulk I want to show it off, and I'm still self-conscious about the extra fat, so the shirt stays on. I could change my diet and amp up my cardio, but I don't want to risk any gains, so I'm just accepting the gut and the manboobs and keeping up with what I'm doing.

So while we may have different backgrounds, I kinda understand that feeling of self-consciousness. The good news is this: the problem areas probably aren't as big to others as they are in our minds.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options